Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPushblocker vs. Cho Yoon Je (KOR)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
bravefest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 2:57am
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Having played many styles in my time i think there is a s misconception that playing LP or Anti is mindless or easy.  I think  a lot of younger players get upset with LP/Anti since it is usually older players that use it and in any other sport youth dominates (faster/stronger).  I may not be able to run around like the younger players but i have more knowledge of the game plus i can read ball spin.  It takes skill to play LP/Anti  you actually need to think about what you are doing.Is it more skillful to FH and BH loop everything as compared to pushing/chopping/blocking?  I think not.  I know it is not the style that everyone wants to see(including ITTF)   but a 2200 rated DEF is just as good as a 2200 rated looper.  Just remember if you really love TT and plan on playing it all your life you will most likely switch to DEF/ALL sooner or laterWink   Nice video Pushblocker

I completely disagree with that.  A 2200 rated looper and a 2200 rated long pips push/blocker are not necessarily of the same skill level.  Just because a rating determines that both are equally effective, it does not follow that both have an identical mastery of strokes and play.  It's much more likely that the looper had to work harder and train more to master the more difficult skill of attacking flat out - although that work is rewarded eventually as the long pips blocking style becomes worthless at the very top level where two winged loopers can exploit the weaknesses of it.

Until you get to a world class level, long pips are the short cut to a higher rating without actually working to get it.
Sponsored Links

bravefest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:03am
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

Originally posted by Metallis Metallis wrote:

I hate pips. They all should be banned. I think table tennis is the only sport that someone can win just because of the equipment hes using. A pip player just stand there returning the ball, they dont even have to move, and still win. Wheres the fun? I rather lose than winning like that.

Have you ever tried playing with pips? Not a stroll in the park, my friend.

Yes.  It took about 3 hours, but once I figured them out and realized what I could and could not do with them, they were cake.
bravefest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:15am
This thread also seems to be bringing out the racists...

...what exactly makes the Korean guy cocky or arrogant?  He's playing very relaxed - taking his time and wins the match 3-0. 

If a high rated European player had done this would he be arrogant as well?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:16am
Originally posted by bravefest bravefest wrote:

This thread also seems to be bringing out the racists...

...what exactly makes the Korean guy cocky or arrogant?  He's playing very relaxed - taking his time and wins the match 3-0. 

If a high rated European player had done this would he be arrogant as well?

Racist?! Are you kidding me? LOL

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:21am
racist? wow...

people are saying that because he has a smirk on his face the entire time and seems to be playing without much effort. It has nothing to do with him being korean. Way to over-analyze
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:21am

Having played many styles in my time i think there is a s misconception that playing LP or Anti is mindless or easy.  I think  a lot of younger players get upset with LP/Anti since it is usually older players that use it and in any other sport youth dominates (faster/stronger).  I may not be able to run around like the younger players but i have more knowledge of the game plus i can read ball spin.  It takes skill to play LP/Anti  you actually need to think about what you are doing.Is it more skillful to FH and BH loop everything as compared to pushing/chopping/blocking?  I think not.  I know it is not the style that everyone wants to see(including ITTF)   but a 2200 rated DEF is just as good as a 2200 rated looper.  Just remember if you really love TT and plan on playing it all your life you will most likely switch to DEF/ALL sooner or laterWink   Nice video Pushblocker

I completely disagree with that.  A 2200 rated looper and a 2200 rated long pips push/blocker are not necessarily of the same skill level.  Just because a rating determines that both are equally effective, it does not follow that both have an identical mastery of strokes and play.  It's much more likely that the looper had to work harder and train more to master the more difficult skill of attacking flat out - although that work is rewarded eventually as the long pips blocking style becomes worthless at the very top level where two winged loopers can exploit the weaknesses of it.

Until you get to a world class level, long pips are the short cut to a higher rating without actually working to get it.

Here you go again with your anti-pips agenda. How many times do you have to be shown how irrational your disdain for this equipment is, as well as how irrelevant it is?

You should change your signature from, "If there were points for style, I'd never lose a match," to, "If it weren't for logic, I'd never lose an argument."

Seriously, you occasionally post something useful in some threads, but you troll LP threads like you live under a bridge on a diet of billy goats.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Here you go again with your anti-pips agenda. How many times do you have to be shown how irrational your disdain for this equipment is, as well as how irrelevant it is?

You should change your signature from, "If there were points for style, I'd never lose a match," to, "If it weren't for logic, I'd never lose an argument."

Seriously, you occasionally post something useful in some threads, but you troll LP threads like you live under a bridge on a diet of billy goats.

LOL i lol'd at that last sentence.
bravefest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Funny, I was just thinking about how you've been shown to ignore logic multiple times yet you always try to engage in arguments.  Since you're the forum moderator and you obviously have control over my ability to post, I'll be polite and leave it at that.

edit:

I will say though, it's not irrelevant to discuss a person's playing style in a thread linking to a video of that person - but then again there's you and your logic.

Edited by bravefest - 12/06/2010 at 3:29am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 3:36am

Funny, I was just thinking about how you've been shown to ignore logic multiple times yet you always try to engage in arguments.  Since you're the forum moderator and you obviously have control over my ability to post, I'll be polite and leave it at that.

edit:

I will say though, it's not irrelevant to discuss a person's playing style in a thread linking to a video of that person - but then again there's you and your logic.

Demonstrate a conclusive error in my reasoning and I'll be happy to acknowledge it and adjust my perspective accordingly.

edit:

I will say though, it's quite irrelevant to call people racists when they simply suggest that a player is bored. Did it ever occur to you that some of the people who suggested it might even be Korean? No, probably not. But there's you and your logic.

In addition, talking about someone's playing style is not irrelevant. Whining about a legal variety of equipment that the player happens to use is irrelevant. Long pips are not going anywhere. Deal with it. Save your keystrokes for other topics. (A suggestion from a member, not a "command" from a mod, so don't imply I'm trying to "pull rank".)

Tobhik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 4:31am
Nice video pushblocker. Your opponent level is just much higher then yours and you made a lot of unforced error and gave your opponent free points. Especially on your serve receiving side. I think you had too much warming up before the much (one night before also) thus you had a stiff arm/hand thus your service return is terrible. It happened to me whenever I had too much training on one night before the tournament, could not control my serve return.
LP ox
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 5:51am
This thread is as good as any for explaining how to cope with LP blocks. Well done, Pushblocker.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 6:01am
Just finished my 4th run through your video. He was mostly giving you little to no spin balls right? with the occasional heavy underspin serve?
pinger123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 6:23am
Your opponent has a skill level so much higher than yours in enables him to win points without concentrating too much, just one of them things unfortunately he was just better than you.
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:19am

Don't get mad.  He's right.  Without long pips, you wouldn't be anything.  Let's see you put on some normal inverted rubber and see what your rating is after a year of playing tournaments like that.

Oh, you're not willing to do that?  Then admit it - you're only "good" because you have a deceptive rubber.
Well, wouldn't we ALL be nothing without our equipment?? Give Ma Lin Long pips and see him drop out of the Top 500 in the world. How would you play if you'd have to play a different equipment than you are used to. Do you think that you could play your level with long pips?? I doubt it...

BTW, I'm #5 in the country with Sandpaper.. Everyone plays the same equipment.. Let's play a match of Sandpaper TT and see who is better... Sandpaper eliminates any material advantage..

Edited by Pushblocker - 12/06/2010 at 7:20am
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:24am

If you think that long pips are a short cut to a higher rating, please list more than 10 long pips blockers who are still active and above 2100 rating... That's gonna be a short list LOL.
EXTREMELY few long pips blockers reach or exceed 2100 level. It's only a hand full of players who are above 2200 with that style. I believe that I'm the only active pushblocker who doesn't attack above 2200 level and the only State Champion..

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Originally posted by stereotip stereotip wrote:

His game without forehand is very boring. 

So, only forehand dominated styles are acceptable??

I wonder what  your playing level is and if you would be able to beat that boring style that I'm playing..
90+% of the guys criticizing my style would probably make less than 5 points per game against me.. LOL

Pushblocker, if you put your FH into few topspins, which went wide to your FH and you tried to catch them with LP, blocked them down the line into BH, then you would get advantage of weak return and that boy would be chasing the ball around table like he sometimes did. Next, too expensive in a game to fail in your service (you served into the net, under the table..). Also, quite a lot wrong receives. without 2-3 easy mistakes you did in every set (as I mentioned), that boy would get nervous and you would control the game much better and I think you would win. So I recommend you to incorporate few FH blocks into your game, just as a surprise, not for every block. I also would like to see you twiddling. There were services hard to receive with LP and as you tried to not prepare shot for opponent, you missed them. For those services, it would be nice to twiddle and receive with inverted. I know this is very hard to do it, it is not anything you can learn quickly, but I think this would move you forward and for the future, it is the way to go.
I think, even without offensive FH, you can still get much higher than you are now. Keep working, you are doing good, esp. with those deep lp pushes, I like those aimed on the BH corner.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:26am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Just finished my 4th run through your video. He was mostly giving you little to no spin balls right? with the occasional heavy underspin serve?
He kept the spin fairly low as he'd miss after I block his higher spin attacks. He was smart and adjusted his strategy to reduce spin.. That's what high class players do.. He still had trouble with me though..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:30am
Originally posted by tomas.gt tomas.gt wrote:

Originally posted by stereotip stereotip wrote:

His game without forehand is very boring. 

So, only forehand dominated styles are acceptable??

I wonder what  your playing level is and if you would be able to beat that boring style that I'm playing..
90+% of the guys criticizing my style would probably make less than 5 points per game against me.. LOL

Pushblocker, if you put your FH into few topspins, which went wide to your FH and you tried to catch them with LP, blocked them down the line into BH, then you would get advantage of weak return and that boy would be chasing the ball around table like he sometimes did. Next, too expensive in a game to fail in your service (you served into the net, under the table..). Also, quite a lot wrong receives. without 2-3 easy mistakes you did in every set (as I mentioned), that boy would get nervous and you would control the game much better and I think you would win. So I recommend you to incorporate few FH blocks into your game, just as a surprise, not for every block. I also would like to see you twiddling. There were services hard to receive with LP and as you tried to not prepare shot for opponent, you missed them. For those services, it would be nice to twiddle and receive with inverted. I know this is very hard to do it, it is not anything you can learn quickly, but I think this would move you forward and for the future, it is the way to go.
I think, even without offensive FH, you can still get much higher than you are now. Keep working, you are doing good, esp. with those deep lp pushes, I like those aimed on the BH corner.

You are right. I did make too many unforced errors.. I went into this match, really not expecting to do well. I was caught by surprise that I could actually keep up with the guy. What sometimes look like easy service mistakes errors were actually some really good serves by my opponent. He was mostly serving heavy underspin, or light chop.. Sometimes, he mixed in dead and fast serves and I completely missed some of them. Later I started paying more attention and was able to return most of those.

TT_haru View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:32am
Don't agree that the opponent skill is much higher. At the 3rd game, pushblocker was leading 10-7. Just too casually and easily give away points. I also noticed that he seemed to be "rushing" thru in term of serving, etc. Just take your time, keep calm and I believe you will make less error. More practise and you can win this guy ...
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 7:34am

If you think that long pips are a short cut to a higher rating, please list more than 10 long pips blockers who are still active and above 2100 rating... That's gonna be a short list LOL.
EXTREMELY few long pips blockers reach or exceed 2100 level. It's only a hand full of players who are above 2200 with that style. I believe that I'm the only active pushblocker who doesn't attack above 2200 level and the only State Champion..

the thing is, that almost nobody knows, how hard is to block at the table with LP. You need to react on the incoming ball with bat angle and you need to deal with the speed, you have to absorb. And this is not the only thing, there are other factors..you know for sure.
I think there are not LP blockers because it is simply very hard to play this style. It is quite easy to defend behind the table, so most of LP players play from distance.  your style is hard to learn/play and I like the way you react on those distorted opinions here.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 8:21am

Originally posted by Carbon TT Carbon TT wrote:

Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Originally posted by LobbedYoud0wn LobbedYoud0wn wrote:

Wow, can I have that 10 minutes of my life back please?

No, but you could've stopped sooner once you realized you were wasting precious internet time.

Nah, now that I think about it I enjoyed watching a $30 sheet of rubber get killed by a player who wasn't even trying...thanks for the suggestion though lol.

Would you prefer it being a video of a $30 sheet of rubber killing you and your $300+ butterfly racket with him not even trying hard?

Lol, and now we're making assumptions about my level?  Our club is littered with high level 2000+ long pip blockers and choppers.  I can earnestly say their style doesn't bother me at all having learned to play against them from the point I picked up a paddle and began playing.

p.s. - My racket costs no where near $300+, nice try at an anti-Butterfly jab though...lol
So, what's your rating??  Where are you located?? I'd like to play you and videotape it and post it here for everyone to see.. You shouldn't have a problem with me if you are so good against long pips.. I play tournaments all over the US.. I'm sure that I'll be near you whereever you are!!

Every come to australia and ill gladly take up your offer.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Every come to australia and ill gladly take up your offer.

In what part of Austrialia do you live in?

I might just plan a vacation there!!

friendship View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 9:02am
i think the point was missed...

everyone can put on material, yet not everyone can get to 2200+ rating. so, does it take skill to play on this level? is there any other possibility?

it is on lower levels where puting on material can get you more than you had invested (training hours, skill) into it. the lower the level is, the more you get

skill isn't only what looks nice on video, whether we admit it or don't

Edited by friendship - 12/06/2010 at 9:03am
pinger123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 11:22am
Pushblocker, if you believe yourself to be a good player there is no reason to keep mouthing off that people wouldn't get above four points or whatever. Just accept that people are going to moan about your style and say it takes not as much skill, this is because they are weak against this style and because it doesn't look as impressive as a power loop. You must of known this when you started playing in this style. 

What are you trying to prove?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by friendship friendship wrote:

i think the point was missed...

everyone can put on material, yet not everyone can get to 2200+ rating. so, does it take skill to play on this level? is there any other possibility?

it is on lower levels where puting on material can get you more than you had invested (training hours, skill) into it. the lower the level is, the more you get

skill isn't only what looks nice on video, whether we admit it or don't

Good post. I'd also add that "the lower the skill level" the more difference the equipment makes, and not always for the better :D.

Whether it's the average US1300 player with an OFF+ and SuperFast rubbers who hits 1 out of 5 killshots powerful enough that they can't be returned by 1800 level players or a US1400 LP player who uses their rubber for service receive to disturb their opponents but then gets exploited on simple no spin pushes and 3rd ball attacks...
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by pinger123 pinger123 wrote:

Pushblocker, if you believe yourself to be a good player there is no reason to keep mouthing off that people wouldn't get above four points or whatever. Just accept that people are going to moan about your style and say it takes not as much skill, this is because they are weak against this style and because it doesn't look as impressive as a power loop. You must of known this when you started playing in this style. 

What are you trying to prove?

I just like to prove people wrong when they talk about my game.. I never back out of any challenges as I'm backing up my claims with results.

walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 12:27pm
his serves were very good and you unfortunately missed a couple this match. he seemed to be able to read your balls better than most people, but you still gave him a lot of trouble because of your consistancy, amount of spin, and keeping the ball very low. he was not afraid to attack you with power and he did it well. great match
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

oliver you are my hero, playing 100% regardless of cocky players who play 50%.
you are the true defintion of blue collar table tennis.

i played at a very late age, no coaching, but still surviving!
I never had any formal coaching.. I'm a self tought player and there are very few that have gotten above 2200 that way.. I'm proud of what I have accomplished.. I did play for a while but I never learned table tennis correctly. I developed my own style and it seems to be fairly effective!

Pushblocker:  Have you ever played against Peter Chen (CA) ?  he has a style similar to yours but he's a penholder, that would be an interesting match to see. I remember he played George Brithwait(Sp) at the Nationals and George had no idea how to play Peter.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Pushblocker:  Have you ever played against Peter Chen (CA) ?  he has a style similar to yours but he's a penholder, that would be an interesting match to see. I remember he played George Brithwait(Sp) at the Nationals and George had no idea how to play Peter.
I've seen Peter Chen play in 2001 at the Nationals but I've never played him.  He was and still is an inspiration for me. He got past 2300 rating in his 60's and now in his 70's he is still playing mid 2100 level. I hope to run into him again.. Hopefully this coming year.
I think that in a head to head matchup, I would have a advantage as I usually beat most defensive long pips blockers while I do have problem against offensive ones.. 
I also did play George about 2 years ago at the NA Teams and I was able to beat him.. Long pips blockers don't seem to be George's specialty... Back in 2008 when I played him, George was still in the mid 2100's.. Later, he dropped and only plays around 2000 level right now.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2010 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker
<DIV>I've seen Peter Chen play in 2001 at the Nationals but I've never played him.  He was and still is an inspiration for me. He got past 2300 rating in his 60's and now in his 70's he is still playing mid 2100 level. I hope to run into him again.. Hopefully this coming year. </DIV>
<DIV>I think that in a head to head matchup, I would have a advantage as I usually beat most defensive long pips blockers while I do have problem against offensive ones..  </DIV>
<DIV>I also did play George about 2 years ago at the NA Teams and I was able to beat him.. Long pips blockers don't seem to be George's specialty... Back in 2008 when I played him, George was still in the mid 2100's.. Later, he dropped and only plays around 2000 level right now.</DIV>[/QUOTE Pushblocker
I've seen Peter Chen play in 2001 at the Nationals but I've never played him.  He was and still is an inspiration for me. He got past 2300 rating in his 60's and now in his 70's he is still playing mid 2100 level. I hope to run into him again.. Hopefully this coming year.
I think that in a head to head matchup, I would have a advantage as I usually beat most defensive long pips blockers while I do have problem against offensive ones.. 
I also did play George about 2 years ago at the NA Teams and I was able to beat him.. Long pips blockers don't seem to be George's specialty... Back in 2008 when I played him, George was still in the mid 2100's.. Later, he dropped and only plays around 2000 level right now.
[/QUOTE wrote:

I don't think Peter plays the Nationals anymore, he does play regularly at Potrero Hill Center in San Francisco. He is starting to add the attack to his game.
Let me know if you're ever in the area.

I don't think Peter plays the Nationals anymore, he does play regularly at Potrero Hill Center in San Francisco. He is starting to add the attack to his game.
Let me know if you're ever in the area.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic