Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post pics of your penhold grips!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post pics of your penhold grips!
    Posted: 07/17/2011 at 8:51pm
Here's mine, RBP.  As you can see I removed significant material for the forefinger.

Edited by djnelsen - 07/17/2011 at 10:14pm
Sponsored Links

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 11:24pm
You really removed a lot. This is the first time I see a modified blade like this. Do you find it comfortable during play ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 11:27pm
How does that even work?
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2011 at 11:40pm
I can see this grip helps with your wrist, but was removal of lens also necessary?
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 7:29am
This made all the difference for me. Prior to removing this material I was not able to wrap my forefinger comfortably. Wrapping my forefinger gave me a lot more control with all of my shots.

Removing the lens was not intentional, it just popped out when I cut the handle down in length.
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

How does that even work?

It made wrapping my forefinger much more comfortable.

Am I not understanding your question?
Speedstick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 8:14am
Originally posted by djnelsen djnelsen wrote:

This made all the difference for me. Prior to removing this material I was not able to wrap my forefinger comfortably. Wrapping my forefinger gave me a lot more control with all of my shots.

with that modification, how you grip now looks more of a japanese penhold grip than a chinese one. LOL

Edited by Speedstick - 07/18/2011 at 8:16am
JOOLA Stellwag; Xiom Sigma Euro/Stiga Almana Sound ST

BUTTERFLY Red Kim Taek Soo; XIOM Omega IV

Lord, Grant what You command, and command what You will. -ST.AUGUSTINE
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 8:38am
I think it's somewhat similar to Wang Hao's grip, although I might hold my fingers flatter against the backhand.

I'm quite tall (6'4") with long thin fingers. Might explain the odd grip a bit.
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 9:50am
Your grip is very comfortable at the beginning, but unfortunately it has its flaws: it strongly limits your wrist’s movement (it’s something that you should abuse all the time with penhold, especially over the table, which should be your natural hunting ground. It also negatively impacts your serves.. ) and makes impossible to do any traditional PH backhand strokes (I agree that TBH block is too good to pass, even if you plan to use RPB as a main stroke).

Wang Hao grip is something that i think that I use (Tongue) :

Third finger is curled and personally I have it pretty parallel to the racket surface, fourth one is closer to being perpendicular. At the beginning the grip was slippery and stressed my fingers a bit, but after a month or so you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. And I think that it is proven to work, so why don't you try this?

djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2011 at 9:58am
Hmmm... well I don't use traditional penhold for ANY backhand shots... strictly RBP for all backhand... traditional penhold really hurts my wrist for any backhand.

I know it's weird, but it's working well for me. Both my backhand and forehand are developing well. I get plenty of rotation on my RBP, from topspin to slice.

I'll give your suggestions a shot. Thanks!
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 8:49pm
Krantz- I tried your suggestion this evening (curling the fingers a bit, fingers not so flat against the forehand)... I see what you're saying about the benefits ... pretty nice how I didn't have to rotate my wrist as much for backhand loops... but unfortunately I found it very uncomfortable.

I wonder if my height (6'4") is helping make my strange grip work for for me.  My height and long arms make it easy for me to get over the ball, so perhaps I don't have to rotate my wrist as much as the average (shorter) player.

Or maybe I'm just weird... whatever the reason, it's working for me... I'm just getting back into the game after not playing for years, and I'm progressing quickly... this evening I was hitting backspin forehands with better consistency than ever... so fun! This was the weakest part of my game, so I'm very pleased Smile

Edited by djnelsen - 07/19/2011 at 8:51pm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 9:09pm
If you are happy with your grip and the modification you made, then consider yourself lucky, and I congratulate you for finding the specific modification that works well for you. I think it does not matter whether it is weird or not, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your grip and your play Thumbs Up
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 10:55pm
Smile
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

If you are happy with your grip and the modification you made, then consider yourself lucky, and I congratulate you for finding the specific modification that works well for you. I think it does not matter whether it is weird or not, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your grip and your play Thumbs Up

Thank you for the kind words!

But they are not necessary. I've long since gotten over the notion that being weird is a bad thing. ConfusedSmile

All that matters is that it works for me. Approval from my peers is not necessary. But I do appreciate the insight and suggestions. Always willing to try something different.

Omega740 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omega740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:10pm
I find CPEN/RPB to be a very self-customized style.  You being 6'4", I don't see how mimicking Wang Hao's grip could help you.  He's 5'9".  Xu Xin plays more of a taller mans game. Plus he has large hands.  If you need some guidance on any part of your game, or finger placement, he would probably be your go-to.
TT YouTube Chan Chinese Penhold FH/BH
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2011 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Omega740 Omega740 wrote:

I find CPEN/RPB to be a very self-customized style.  You being 6'4", I don't see how mimicking Wang Hao's grip could help you.  He's 5'9".  Xu Xin plays more of a taller mans game. Plus he has large hands.  If you need some guidance on any part of your game, or finger placement, he would probably be your go-to.

Yeah, Krantz correctly pointed out earlier that my grip was in fact not all that similar to Wang Hao's, since my fingers are quite flat against the backhand. I was more referring to the aggressive forefinger wrap, but he's right that curling your other fingers makes it very different... so I retract that claim of similarity.

My point was that my method (flat fingers) lends itself better to a taller player like myself since my height means I don't have to rotate my wrist as much for topspin backhands. Not having flat fingers is probably even better, but too uncomfortable for me.

Just a theory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic