Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Looking for a good quality, Butterfly blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Called A Topspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a good quality, Butterfly blade
    Posted: 12/18/2011 at 11:52am
I'm looking for a good quality butterfly blade that is HARD and has HIGH throw. Needs to go well with T64 and T64FX. Apparently T64 goes well with hard, high throw blades. Thanks Sleepy
Sponsored Links

shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 11:54am
amultart might work, mj is a bit on the softer side but will still work. tb alc should go nice.
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:00pm
TB ALC, medium hard blade, I think it's good but it's quite heavy. Do you think the Innerforce ALC will do any better? And hardness and throw compared to TB ALC? What do you mean by the MJ doing nicely, it's quite a hard blade. Throw angle of Amultart, MJ and ALC? Which one is highest and which one is lowest? Thanks for replying.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:02pm
well mj is not as hard as amultart and i think tb alc will be the best as it is pretty hard and fast but not too fast. hope this helps
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:16pm
Also, how would the blade "Zhang Jike" do? 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Called A Topspin Called A Topspin wrote:

Also, how would the blade "Zhang Jike" do? 

Are you after hard or stiff?  It's not the same thing.  ALC blades are soft to medium but they are stiff.  They go very well with Tenergy rubbers, but you are asking for something hard.  ZJK is an ALC blade.  I have not used it, but based on its construction it will not be hard and it will be very similar to TB ALC or Viscaria.  Of course it has the name of a top player so Bttfly will charge more.  Brilliant marketing.  If you want hard, try Ishilion or TB T5000 or even Iolite Neo, maybe even TB-ZLC which in my experience is just a tad harder than most ALC blades.

Personally I like ALC blades the best.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:45pm
Well, what blade does soft rubber suit more? Hard or stiff? Looking for the keyword. Zhang Jike is £5 more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 12:59pm
Update: Someone told me T64 works better with soft blades with a stiff feeling. Bump!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 1:01pm
Also, is Tenergy 64FX better for powerspin than T64? I know I am going off topic, but this is for my setup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 2:18pm
bump
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 2:41pm
Hello and welcome to the forum!

First off, thanks for posting this in the Equipment Forum, exactly the right place.

To clarify:

Soft vs Hard usually has to do with the outer ply that contacts the rubber's sponge.
Stiffnes vs flex has to do with the whole assembly of the blade (gluing, composites, number of plies). Fewer plies less composite, usually equals more flex.

For example:
Limba outer plies generally feel soft and plies like koto generally feel harder.
5 ply blades are almost always more flexible than 7 ply blades

Preferences for blade feel are usually very subjective, as some people prefer harder flexible blades with harder sponges, and some prefer harder stiff blades with softer sponges, while yet others prefer softer blades with medium flex for a range of sponge hardnesses...

Don't be surprised if you get a range of responses.

To narrow it down, it might be helpful if you describe your level of play (rating/ranking/how often you train etc) and what your general style is (type of loops/amount of flat drives/smashes)...

Also, a forum is a little different from instant or text messaging. Unlike those mediums you can go back into your posts and edit them for clarification, rather repeatedly bumping the thread.

Finally, be patient; as there are quite a few T64 users (past and present) here, and many of them use BTY blades... So folks will definitely give you some feedback! It just might take a few hours.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 3:11pm
First of all, if you wanted to know I'm brothers with "A Touch". I'm one of the top 60 juniors in the UK. I'm slightly better than him and currently I use Energy X-Soft 1.9 both sides with a Timo Boll Spirit blade. I have a looping and hitting style, I like to mix it up. I have a preferance for soft rubbers, that's what my coach realised after I failed with hard rubbers. If you know this guy called Gergely Urban, he's my coach. He says I'm a future Kreanga if you know what I mean ;). Well, I tend to put a lot more spin on my services and my mid-distance topspin is pretty decent.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 6:30pm

Well, what blade does soft rubber suit more? Hard or stiff? Looking for the keyword. Zhang Jike is £5 more.

This answer may not be too helpful to you, but which ever feels better to you.  Personally, I prefer harder rubbers on soft stiff blades -- Tenergy 05 (admitedly not the hardest but definitely harder feel than T64) on an ALC blade. There is a school of thought that says hard rubbers go with soft blades and vice versa.  Some people don't like stiff either, but I do. 

At your level, I am wondering why you are still using 1.9 mm sponge.  It seems to be that you ought to be ready for 2.1. 

Edited by Baal - 12/18/2011 at 6:33pm
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 6:40pm
If you can't hit hard enough to compress the "hard" sponge, you're going to have control problems no matter what blade you choose.

Edited by The Shakehander - 12/18/2011 at 6:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 5:01am
Thanks for the replies. I just prefer soft sponges, it's a personal thing. But, I just don't like hard sponges because I like stiff blades.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 6:11am
I'm confused, is TB ALC and TBS considered low throw blades? And is MJ considered a high throw blade? Please help, and list some other high throw blades.
Leri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 6:33am
How about Butterfly TimoBoll Forte off?
I don't usually do fast serves. But when I do, the ball don't even touch another side of table.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 7:09am
I'm preferably looking for a carbon blade, and I'm not looking for a basic blade.
tremil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 7:30am
1st, if you want a high-throw blade you should definatley not choose a carbon blade, since you don´t get the same contact with the ball with them as you do with a wood blade.

Depending of how fast blade you want, you should choose between Optimum Plus (i played with this one before) , rosewood VII or the peter korbl blade. If you want a slow blade maybe you should use energy wood.
Blade: STIGA Rosewood VII
BH:Dinic Baracuda
FH: Hurricane 3, boosted offcours 3:)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 8:08am

I'm confused, is TB ALC and TBS considered low throw blades? And is MJ considered a high throw blade? Please help, and list some other high throw blades.

I would consider all ALC blades relatively high throw.  I also feel like rubber affects throw more than the blade.  Put T05 on anything and it will throw pretty high.  MJ just feels badly balanced to me and it definitely throws lower than a TB ALC or a Viscaria if it has the same rubber on it.  But why should you listen to me?  Really the best thing you can do if you play at a club is try lots of other people's blades.  It's the only way I have found to identify new equipment that I like without wasting money.  Too often when I have bought something just because of things I have read on the internet (or manufacturer's claims), I have been disappointed.  Also, you may think you like something because "it makes sense" only to find later that it doesn't.  I used to think I liked hard blades because I had never used a soft one.  Would you buy a car without driving it first? 

But if you want to buy something without trying it first, then make a safe choice.  Probably more top players use the various Butterfly ALC blades combined with Tenergy than anything else.  Another really good choice is the Korbel.  These are clearly not the only good blades in existence.  But there is a reason they are so widely used.  If you want harder and faster, then maybe a Schlager carbon. 

Edited by Baal - 12/19/2011 at 8:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 8:24am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a heavy blade as Tenergy is already heavy. I could buy a blade from another manufacturer, as long as it's good quality. Is there a Stiga blade that is lighter but as good for looping and hitting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 8:29am
The problem I'm having is I'm not sure which blade to get T64, the specific rubber with. I've heard about the OSP blades, are any of those high throw and good? If not, do the all wood Stiga blades have good quality and high throw? I'm not looking for a blade over 93g.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 8:31am

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for a heavy blade as Tenergy is already heavy. I could buy a blade from another manufacturer, as long as it's good quality. Is there a Stiga blade that is lighter but as good for looping and hitting?

I don't know their product line anymore.  For some reason nobody in my club uses their stuff much so the only ones I have tried are the Rosewood and Ebenholz blades.  They were ok.  Nothing special.  But a 90 g blade with tenergy should not be too heavy for you even in max thickness.  That is fairly standard among high level players.  A blade that is too light lacks power and since you are a junior player, you should get used to playing with a blade that has a reasonable weight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 8:45am
Do you have any recommendations then? My coach said it has to be high quality, gonna last me for some time. I had a Schlager Precision and it snapped :( 
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 9:01am
Did your coach have any suggestions?  He probably understands your game better than anyone (including yourself), so if he has any suggestions I'd would listen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Called A Topspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 9:55am
He suggested to buy a good quality, high throw blade. Needs to be medium hardness and a stiff feel. He also said you might need a blade with a woody feel? Not sure how to get a woody feel.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 11:04am

He suggested to buy a good quality, high throw blade. Needs to be medium hardness and a stiff feel. He also said you might need a blade with a woody feel? Not sure how to get a woody feel.

Yasaka and Donic's blades that are made in Sweden have a good "woody" feel (pleasant vibration). In the medium fast (OFF- / OFF) range are blades like the Yasaka Extra Offensive and Waldner Senso Carbon. Both of these blades are better quality (wood selection, construction, finish, durability) than comparable mass-produced blades from Stiga.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 11:07am
How about one of the Nexy blades?  There's a lot of praise for their quality and playing characteristics.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 11:15am

I'm looking for a good quality butterfly blade that is HARD and has HIGH throw. Needs to go well with T64 and T64FX. Apparently T64 goes well with hard, high throw blades. Thanks Sleepy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic