Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to use Goo Gone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to use Goo Gone?
    Posted: 02/05/2012 at 6:38am
Right now I have rubber cement and Goo Gone but none of that Heptane thinner everyone keeps talking about.

How much Goo Gone should I mix with the Rubber Cement?
Can I use water as thinner or lighter fluid?

A problem I noticed was that mixing lighter fluid with Rubber cement and not using it immediately makes the mixture turn into a gloppy mess.
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 12:29pm
Good question for the Equipment forum, wink wink, nudge nudge.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:48pm
I use kerosene based lamp oil
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:54pm
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought I would mention it to you anyway because it may help you. I use to use rubber cement and Finezip water-based) but I switched to Tear Mender. The advantageous I found were that it is much easier to put on a smooth, thin layer, very easy to take off the rubber and blade, and dries very fast. Overall the easiest of the glues that I have tried. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Right now I have rubber cement and Goo Gone but none of that Heptane thinner everyone keeps talking about.

A problem I noticed was that mixing lighter fluid with Rubber cement and not using it immediately makes the mixture turn into a gloppy mess.

Do NOT use water.

GooGone is not the best for this purpose as the level of VOC/heptane in it is pretty low. Use GooGone to refresh the topsheet by cleaning it with GG.

Use 10-15% of ultra fine lamp oil (kerosene) with 85-90% of rubber cement - but you need to mix them really good, spend some time on it to make sure that latex got properly diluted.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought I would mention it to you anyway because it may help you. I use to use rubber cement and Finezip water-based) but I switched to Tear Mender. The advantageous I found were that it is much easier to put on a smooth, thin layer, very easy to take off the rubber and blade, and dries very fast. Overall the easiest of the glues that I have tried. 

Beside tear mender, I remember one of the forum members recommends some kind of glue paste as well LOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 7:45pm
I wouldn't mix it. Apply Goo Gone several layers to sponge, and apply glue. With certain water-based glues, you can apply the glue first. You can apply Goo Gone to topsheet as well.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 7:47pm
A long time ago I used a cologne called, "You Gone!" It worked wonders. I was alone for years and had no use for rubbers. Is that the same as Goo Gone?

Edited by tommyzai - 02/05/2012 at 7:47pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

GooGone is not the best for this purpose as the level of VOC/heptane in it is pretty low. Use GooGone to refresh the topsheet by cleaning it with GG.

I noticed that the Top Sheet of my Globe 999 turns a bit hard after cleaning with Goo Gone. Is that a known after effect?
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 1:30am
Goo Gone is low in heptane.  I put a little bit of Ronsonol (Napthane lighter fluid in the yellow bottle) in my rubber cement to thin it for smother thinner coats.  It consequently lasts me longer then too.

Edited by king_pong - 02/06/2012 at 1:31am
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 1:42am
I'm a little confused.  Is rubber cement illegal or legal?
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 4:48am
I think it will be legal if you have aired it for a few days.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 8:33am

what brand of rubber cement do you use?
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

Elmer's. The ones that come in small brown plastic jars.
I have to make sure to mix it with oil in a separate container otherwise the whole batch is gonna be ruined.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 10:01am
Moved to Equipment Forum.

Please select the appropriate forum before posting your topic.

Thank you, that is all.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2012 at 4:58pm

Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

Elmer's. The ones that come in small brown plastic jars.
I have to make sure to mix it with oil in a separate container otherwise the whole batch is gonna be ruined.

or Best Test rubber (paper) cement
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2012 at 7:26am

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I noticed that the Top Sheet of my Globe 999 turns a bit hard after cleaning with Goo Gone. Is that a known after effect?

i confirm that paraffin oil (kerosene) on globe999 topsheet makes it harder and faster. if you don't like it, you'll have to wait until it evaporates. if it's too fast, next time only tune the sponge.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 10:04am
UPDATE:

So I've been putting Goo Gone on my Globe 999 for the past 2 weeks now. It didn't make the Topsheet any tacky at all but harder and grippier. Not a bad side effect. Some crisp but I don't see much difference in the spin. If I had to rate the spin, I have to say about 8.5/10.

So I got a 729 FX EL Super Soft and initially, straight out of the pack, glued with about 2 layers of Rubber Cement + Paraffin Oil (about  3 parts RC :1 part PO) and the spin is about 6/10 (10 being a standard H2). REALLY WEAK.
So after about 3 sessions of playing, I finally decided to tune the topsheet with Goo Gone too. So far I have to say the topsheet is now twice spinnier than it initially was! Amazing feel. Combined with the soft sponge, this rubber now feels like the best serving-looping rubber.

Either I got a real bad sheet of Globe 999 since I don't feel any tack at all, or I got a real good 729 FX EL. It has enough speed I need combined with the soft, slow sponge.

Edited by Re1Mu2R3 - 02/23/2012 at 10:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic