Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head heavy blades... what a load of BS..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head heavy blades... what a load of BS..
    Posted: 08/20/2013 at 4:51pm
I don't see what the big deal is about head heavy blades, can someone explain to me why a head heavy blade would actaully affect me in a negative way noticeably? I'm thinking of getting a TBS with 2 MX-P's which would be a head heavy setup, but if I have:

1. Good arm strength and stamina
2. An offensive style

How can this go wrong? Lots of people are so conscious about heavy blades and head heavy setups, I play 195g+ setup and I feel fine, although it could be my Tibhar Stratus Powerwood's balance.

So can someone reassure me that getting a TBS with 2 MX-P's won't be head heavy enough to put my off my game with blocking and short touch? Dima Ovtcharov uses TBS with boosted T05's, but obviously he's a pro. 

Strokes such as, blocking, and basic pushing and driving; will they be affected that much? Obviously they will, but I'm an allround attacker, so I like to loop and counter rather than blocking, but I still need that security you know..

PS: Is TBS really that head heavy? It's not hollow handle or anything. Also, I'm 6 foot and 180 pounds is that helps (probably wont) :D

Edited by SmackDAT - 08/20/2013 at 4:56pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 4:54pm
If you don't mind the feel, don't sweat it. Most people feel more comfortable with a balanced setup, but it comes down to personal preference.

Does your handle shift around in your hand when you go from FH to BH and back? That's usually where the discomfort comes from in the head-heavy setup. If you're not a grip shifter, it probably won't impact you at all.
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

So can someone reassure me that getting a TBS with 2 MX-P's won't be head heavy enough to put my off my game with blocking and short touch? Dima Ovtcharov uses TBS with boosted T05's, but obviously he's a pro. 

Strokes such as, blocking, and basic pushing and driving; will they be affected that much? Obviously they will, but I'm an allround attacker, so I like to loop and counter rather than blocking, but I still need that security you know..

PS: Is TBS really that head heavy? It's not hollow handle or anything. Also, I'm 6 foot and 180 pounds is that helps (probably wont) :D

I think you'll feel the balance shift more if you were using Tenergy rubbers on both sides, I believe the MX-P rubbers will not be a factor.  It's a load of BS if you're young and play/train competitively, for the weekend warrior, its a different story.

Edited by jt99sf - 08/20/2013 at 5:07pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 5:12pm

thanks jt99sf, I'm still U21 :)

PS: I don't prefer head heavy, but I'm better at most people at dealing with it. I always play with heavy rubbers and head heavy setups, since, well, I started..

Edited by SmackDAT - 08/20/2013 at 5:16pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 5:15pm

I don't see what the big deal is about head heavy blades, can someone explain to me why a head heavy blade would actaully affect me in a negative way noticeably? I'm thinking of getting a TBS with 2 MX-P's which would be a head heavy setup, but if I have:

1. Good arm strength and stamina
2. An offensive style

How can this go wrong? Lots of people are so conscious about heavy blades and head heavy setups, I play 195g+ setup and I feel fine, although it could be my Tibhar Stratus Powerwood's balance.

Blade "balance" is more of a function of how you hold the blade (ie some emphasize near the neck, some towards the end, and often differs for different strokes/styles), not the absolute minute differences in the bat itself.

Also, a 6foot+ fit 250lb guy is not going to feel a 200g blade the same as a 100lb 5foot girl.

This populist myth of "proper" weight vs balance seems to be just something people made up to feel sophisticated. If you feel comfortable with what you use, no need to seek validation from others.

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 5:27pm
It's just personal preference. You could always measure the center of gravity yourself to figure out what you like and don't like.

Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Blade "balance" is more of a function of how you hold the blade (ie some emphasize near the neck, some towards the end, and often differs for different strokes/styles), not the absolute minute differences in the bat itself.

What does a function as to how I hold the blade mean? Sorry Agent, can you expand?

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:04pm

What does a function as to how I hold the blade mean? Sorry Agent, can you expand?

A 92 gm blade will NOT have the same balance as an 85 gm one. 

If you put Tenergy on both sides (92 gms blade), no matter how you hold the blade, it'll be head heavy.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:07pm

You can hold the blade by pinching the bat above neck area w/ thumb and index finger (very good feel in touch shots or blocking), or press handle into your palm with middle/ring finger, or loosely with only pinky gripping tight (FL handles are somewhat designed for this).

The "balance" or ratio of weights between two sides of the fulcrum is quite different between these grips. Grip might depend on handle, shot, personal pref, etc.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

If you put Tenergy on both sides (92 gms blade), no matter how you hold the blade, it'll be head heavy.

If you grip high up (which ST handles tend to encourage) vs w/pinky, the balance diff is FAR greater than any potential minor blade diff. This is easy to verify by comparing how much center of mass changes w/ 80 or 90g blade, vs the distances between diff grip fulcrum points, which I'm pretty sure none of these balance connoisseurs have ever done.

I mean, people play fine w/ both SH and PH grip, and the way the bat is balanced between the two is quite different.

Edited by AgentHEX - 08/20/2013 at 6:18pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:17pm
I don't think it would be particularly "head heavy".  MX-P weighs about the same as Tenergy, and a Tenergy-TBS combination is pretty much a classic.  My Viscaria is more or less the same, and it plays great with those kinds of rubbers.

Edited by Baal - 08/20/2013 at 6:18pm
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:34pm

That's a problem, I hold my blade high by nature. so you're saying I'll feel a much bigger sensation of head heaviness? By the way, I use flared, should I switch to straight if I have a high grip?

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:39pm

If you grip high up (which ST handles tend to encourage) vs w/pinky, the balance diff is FAR greater than any potential minor blade diff. This is easy to verify by comparing how much center of mass changes w/ 80 or 90g blade, vs the distances between diff grip fulcrum points, which I'm pretty sure none of these balance connoisseurs have ever done.

I mean, people play fine w/ both SH and PH grip, and the way the bat is balanced between the two is quite different.

Maybe to you, but I know what I like.  No scientific data can equate personal preference, numbers can't quantify 'touch'. If all you can do is reference book data, that's a load of BS.

Now you're comparing apple and oranges since PH can have 1 piece of rubber unlike the SH style which requires 2.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:40pm

That's a problem, I hold my blade high by nature. so you're saying I'll feel a much bigger sensation of head heaviness? By the way, I use flared, should I switch to straight if I have a high grip?

No, go with AN since its molds to your hand.LOL

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:43pm
Jt99sf, can't I just stuck with flared? Or does straight help with high grip SIGNIFICANTLY?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:51pm

Jt99sf, can't I just stuck with flared? 

Or does straight help with high grip SIGNIFICANTLY?

I was just kidding,  FL is great esp for the serves.  

ST will be faster.  (If you had the FL and ST version of the same blade, the ST one will be faster)

I'd say no.

Edited by jt99sf - 08/20/2013 at 6:56pm

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:55pm

Thanks Jr. Why are serves better?

And St handle faster... sounds messed up to me

explanation?

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:56pm

You'll feel more head heaviness if you do pinky ("loose") grip since much more of the bat will be on head side of the fulcrum. Much less so w/ high grip.

Handle is just preference but FL encourages pinky grip (which is generally better for power shots where the bat is "flung"). As long it's comfortable to you it doesn't matter all that much.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:59pm

explanation?

The FL handle allows for more movement/ ball brushing during the serve.

The ST handle is more rigid than the FL, therefore faster. Better BH.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 6:59pm

explanation?

If you have a "modern" grip for serving, the blade should be pinched between thumb and index fairly high on the rubber, and hand isn't really gripping the handle anyway except for support.

The loose looping grip is "faster" because it relaxes the wrist and whatnot more, which allows more snap on the whip motion.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 7:04pm

explanation?

This guy is basically repeating the equivalent of old wives' tales for TT or is some kind of basement player. The standard SH serve grip these days doesn't even grip the handle....

eg:

Edited by AgentHEX - 08/20/2013 at 7:06pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 7:17pm

explanation?

This guy is basically repeating the equivalent of old wives' tales for TT or is some kind of basement player. The standard SH serve grip these days doesn't even grip the handle....

If you're ONLY holding the blade by the rubbers w/o touching the handle, how the hell do you hit ball ?  

you obviously don't know squat, less than squat !!

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2013 at 7:26pm
Read the description and look at the pic again. How the handle is shaped has no bearing on the middle finger used for bit of extra support, and I can assure you the ball can be hit perfectly fine given it's how SH FH serves are done at anything but low levels. It can even be hit without that support if you really wanted to, and this is something anyone can try.

Look on the bright side. After all these years you finally get to figure out how to serve 101.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 12:48am
I would say my reverse pendulum serve is getting super stable and lethal (it's amazing how many people my level do not deal well with those) and I barely touch the handle to do it: only the middle finger rests on top of it, the index is right above the middle finger and the thumb is on the rubber (fh side), on the right of the handle; the part of the palm that is at the base of the thumb rests on the right side of the handle. That grip allows the handle to go easier over my wrist during the stroke; anyway ST or FL is the same; I am trying now to do the same with the regular pendulum because I do not want to telegraph what kind of serve is coming; before, I had the middle finger pulling on the left side of the handle, the thumb was on top of the handle (fh side) and the index was on top of the handle (bh side).
The reverse pendulum is more recent for me and I can't do it another way or I do not want to spend too much time perfecting the grip for it because it works; so the regular pendulum had to adapt and that's easy.

I agree that ST gives me a better allround game and encourages me holding the blade closer to the neck and that's why I think head heavy setups will be better balanced with a ST handle.
That's also why I enjoy so mush the vase handle from Ross Leidy that literally forces your hand up to the neck.

The grip hell is a twisted one!!!

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 1:47am

Read the description and look at the pic again. How the handle is shaped has no bearing on the middle finger used for bit of extra support, and I can assure you the ball can be hit perfectly fine given it's how SH FH serves are done at anything but low levels. It can even be hit without that support if you really wanted to, and this is something anyone can try.

Look on the bright side. After all these years you finally get to figure out how to serve 101.

It's nice to know you learned to google.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 1:48am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I would say my reverse pendulum serve is getting super stable and lethal (it's amazing how many people my level do not deal well with those) and I barely touch the handle to do it: only the middle finger rests on top of it, the index is right above the middle finger and the thumb is on the rubber (fh side), on the right of the handle; the part of the palm that is at the base of the thumb rests on the right side of the handle. That grip allows the handle to go easier over my wrist during the stroke; anyway ST or FL is the same; I am trying now to do the same with the regular pendulum because I do not want to telegraph what kind of serve is coming; before, I had the middle finger pulling on the left side of the handle, the thumb was on top of the handle (fh side) and the index was on top of the handle (bh side).
The reverse pendulum is more recent for me and I can't do it another way or I do not want to spend too much time perfecting the grip for it because it works; so the regular pendulum had to adapt and that's easy.

I agree that ST gives me a better allround game and encourages me holding the blade closer to the neck and that's why I think head heavy setups will be better balanced with a ST handle.
That's also why I enjoy so mush the vase handle from Ross Leidy that literally forces your hand up to the neck.

The grip hell is a twisted one!!!

So you do use some part of the handle.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 1:52am

Just drop the shovel for that hole you're digging yourself. Learn the basic serve before trying to give other people advice on TT.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 3:07am
ST handles most definitely give an easier and better transition to the backhand grip if you are someone that rotates the blade between forehand and back as most people do, me included. Not many people use the handle when serving, you can't serve well enough above a certain level without getting that extra amount of rotation and spin variation unless you rid yourself of the handle 
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 4:48am

How the handle is shaped has no bearing on the middle finger used for bit of extra support, and I can assure you the ball can be hit perfectly fine given it's how SH FH serves are done at anything but low levels. It can even be hit without that support if you really wanted to, and this is something anyone can try.

Guess what, I learned to google too. And this is what I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWxP-qXOqUc

Oh no! At 0:45 he shows how to serve and all of his fingers are wrapped around the blade!
Oh no! By the time he gets to 2:00 he's not holding the handle at all!
Oh no, oh no! From 2:20 on he discusses using either grip! What are we to do now?

Of course, we could always google "Pingskills serve" and get this (amongst other offerings): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_wC5-HT-0
But then again, why should we listen to Alois Rosario?

So then I googled "Alois Rosario" and discovered that not only has he been the Australian Table Tennis team head coach (including at the Olympics) but he 'also co-wrote the "TOPS Table Tennis Manual" which is now used as part of the ITTF Level 1 Coaching course'. Yeah, he's a nobody. I suggest some folks should just stick with their own certainties and ignore the rest of the world. Wink
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2013 at 7:33am
I prefer a balanced blade because it gives me better feedback (control) over the ball and play.
Probably the reason why I prefer my Virtuoso (balanced) over the slightly head heavy acoustic.

Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic