Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best block ever : Jan Ove Waldner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GECA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote GECA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best block ever : Jan Ove Waldner
    Posted: 01/24/2014 at 1:24am
Out of this world!

Sponsored Links

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:21am
Thumbs Up
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
A_R_T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A_R_T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 7:41am
He made them look so very easy. A Masterful blocker Clap !< style="display:none;" id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id">

edit: why is this ---> < style="display:none;" id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id"> always show up ???
< style="display:none;" id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id">

Edited by A_R_T - 01/24/2014 at 7:53am
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 10:25am
geca you left out waldner's two spectacular blocks against ryu seung min in their match in olympics 2004
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 11:09am
Nobody has or had a better nonchalant walkaway than Waldner, Nobody.Cool
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 11:31am
You're right about that V..he just walks away in a nonchalant manner that was like...no big deal, I expected to block your best shot. He didn't should "Cho" or raise his racket or some other celebration like a lot of players...he just walked away in a calm manner.

Great clip of some of his blocks. Kenta Matsudaira also has that great knack for blocking too.  I also saw Kanak Jha win a lot of points at the US Closed simply by blocking players down. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 12:33pm
38 mm. ball.  The 40 mm ball detroyed the game.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 01/24/2014 at 12:34pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 1:07pm
Does anyone know what racket/rubber combination Waldner is using at present?
LittleFish View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

You're right about that V..he just walks away in a nonchalant manner that was like...no big deal, I expected to block your best shot. He didn't should "Cho" or raise his racket or some other celebration like a lot of players...he just walked away in a calm manner.

A "Cho" might actually make his opponent felt better about losing the point Smile Very cool blocks indeed.
janchor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janchor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:01pm
YES!Cry The new ball definitely destroyed the feeling in the game.

Edited by janchor - 01/24/2014 at 3:23pm
FH: Blufire M1
Bty ZJK
BH: Jp 01
Falco Temp

janchor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janchor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:18pm
Yes, He uses the Bluefire Jp01 on both but not sure about what blade for the moment. I know that he wants to play with T05 but because of the lifetime contract with Donic he uses the bf01 (Best rubber from Donic, he says). I met him in a tournament this autumn here in Sweden, and he can still block for sure :) but his footwork is pretty bad. like "he doesn't care"-footwork.. You know when you just don't have the inspiration :( 

Probably he playes with one of his own blades, like Donic waldner senso or something.

He said like this when he tried T05 for the first time:

"Comparing Tenergy with another rubber, is like comparing a Ferrari with a Volkswagen" 

:)
Bty ZJK
Falco Temp

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by sunny sunny wrote:

Probably a WSC JO shape, not sure about the rubbers

I saw a pic of him in 2012 with TENERGY-

janchor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janchor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:20pm

Edited by janchor - 01/24/2014 at 3:24pm
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

(I recognize we're in a bit of derailment with the thread, but....)
I have a story that might verify this -- I was in Sweden this Fall, and stuck my head inside a TT-shop for a visit.  I spoke with the floor worker and we discussed gear, especially rubber at great length (what players were buying/using, most sold, etc.).  He shared that JO indeed would come into the shop and ask to trade out his factory issued rubber with commercial Tenergy (didn't say WHICH Tenergy he was using, just that he swapped out with Tenergy).   
Can we furthermore conclude that JO tunes his own rubber (since it's merely the commercial version)?

Edited by king_pong - 01/24/2014 at 10:18pm
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
janchor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janchor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 3:31pm
That is correct :)

Bty ZJK
Falco Temp

zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by A_R_T A_R_T wrote:

edit: why is this ---> < style="display:none;" id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id"> always show up ???

Hi Art - I get the same thing.
 It's most likely because of FastestTube, the downloader you probably have added to YouTube etc . 
You have to go to your Browser preferences and disable it temporarily. 
For me, that's Safari/Preferences/Extensions.
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2014 at 12:26am
Those blocks are insane & yet there are so many more. Somewhere on here is a vid of a retired Waldner playing a much younger European in an exhibition. The younger guy just crushes a loop away from the table and JO calmly blocks it so that it DOUBLE BOUNCES on the opponent's side.
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

First time JO uses Black for FH in his career maybe?  Saw some recent videos from Swedish league and it was consistent with this image -- JO had black on the FH.  Not used to seeing that.  Is Tenergy Black a bit spinnier, like Chinese black topsheets, or is there some other reason for the preference?
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic