Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - correct foot to step forward to loop shorter FH ba
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

correct foot to step forward to loop shorter FH ba

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: correct foot to step forward to loop shorter FH ba
    Posted: 11/11/2021 at 2:02am
I see some people step with the right foot to FH loop these short balls, others step forward with the left foot - which is correct?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2021 at 4:59am
Same foot as your playing hand.
Joola Zhou Qihao S-ALC 90
Mizuno Q Quality max
Mizuno Q Quality max
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 1:12pm
Examples?
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 3:13pm
It would all depend how short or long that 'short' ball is and also which direction you plan to hit it and long your arms are.

For a right hander, if you step your left leg in under the table you would have more angle to go somewhere other than cross court with your forehand but you'd be playing something a bit longer or nearer the table height.

But if it really is a short ball,  as Zwill said, it has to be your playing hand side leg.  That is because you have to reach over sideways.  I'm pretty short so my arms will be shorter too, I have to step in with my right leg so that my right playing arm can reach near the net.  

Since I stand in the general start position, if the ball lands on my left I have to play backhand and if it lands to my right I have to play a forehand.

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/21/2021 at 3:19pm
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 4:29pm
Hmm say you're at mid distance position, a relatively shorter ball which doesn't go forward all that much (but is not a true double bounce short ball). For me, I instinctively step in with my left foot which places me in a very good position to powerloop the ball hard because your stroke can go even more forward. 

However it seems that for half long or truly short balls, you kinda have to step in with your right foot otherwise you won't be able to reach the ball even...

Unfortunately, against pips sometimes this is kinda mixed up....

With BH it's almost always the right foot unless the ball exits the sides of the table where you'll have to step in with the left foot, much easier to use.

Edited by blahness - 11/21/2021 at 4:32pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2021 at 5:30pm
Type into youtube any high level well recorded game (so that you can see their feet in receiving) 

If its trully short it is always the playing hand side.

Anywhere else on the court you should be getting into your optimal shot position, as you know, right foot back for forehand.  That does not mean step forward with your left or step back with your right.  It all depends how close to the optimal you can get.  

Even the pros end up doing the optimal feet the opposite way when surprised and still manage to get away with it with less than optimal body work and stroke etc.

Just came across a new favorite video because it's all slow motion, so much stuff happens that is hard to see the quickness of TT. 

Edited by bozbrisvegas - 11/21/2021 at 5:31pm
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic