FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Wood Blade viable with Dignics 09c?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood Blade viable with Dignics 09c?
    Posted: 10/17/2022 at 10:55pm
I've read through a lot of post about dignics 09c (thanks search function) and the overwhelming majority reference using it with carbon blades like viscaria, zjk SZLC, etc. But I couldn't find much on using dignics 09c with all wood blades. I have a trusty Stiga Clipper Wood with an amazing anatomical handle that sports great weight and touch, so I'm reluctant to switch back to my viscaria. I'm wondering though has anyone tried the dignics 09c with any all wood blades? What did you think of it?
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2022 at 11:24pm
I think you will have a spin monster but it might be too dwelly for good attacking play - remember that the dwell also works against you in terms of sensitivity to incoming spin especially when attacking backspin. And 09c is like a faster boosted Hurricane 3 which is fairly slow even compared to say D05. 

Basically I don't think it's that great of an idea for aggressive attacking play, probably better to go for something like D05 at those speed levels. For ppl who play with a lot more control style it might be good...

Edited by blahness - 10/17/2022 at 11:25pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2022 at 1:45am
I play with a wood blade and I love it!  I tried it on the Long 5 and the YEO before this and I found the ALL+ YSE to be an excellent pair with it.  It's not even a fast YSE, it came at 82 grams and I shaved the head down a bit so it's only 80 grams now.  My entire setup is 169 grams with grip tape, foam edge tape included.  I have many holes in my game but my FH is my strong suit.  Heck, I got to 1800+ purely based off of my FH and footwork because I can't block or BH loop worth a crap (but I'm working on it!).  Judging by your username we're probably in the same area, even the same professionLOL.  I assume you play at the Berkeley club, maybe I'll pay that club a visit some time so you can see for yourself.  I usually go to the Pleasanton and Concord/PH club since they're closer at least when taking traffic into consideration, so you're welcome to swing by as well!

Then again, if you're already set on trying the D09C and you already have a great wood and a great composite blade on hand, you can always just try it out and see which you like better.  I think setups can be pretty personal, so what works for me may not work for you.  Just know that this combo CAN work, and work pretty damn well, at least at the level I'm at.

Edited by dingyibvs - 10/18/2022 at 1:48am
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 3:15am
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

I've read through a lot of post about dignics 09c (thanks search function) and the overwhelming majority reference using it with carbon blades like viscaria, zjk SZLC, etc. But I couldn't find much on using dignics 09c with all wood blades. I have a trusty Stiga Clipper Wood with an amazing anatomical handle that sports great weight and touch, so I'm reluctant to switch back to my viscaria. I'm wondering though has anyone tried the dignics 09c with any all wood blades? What did you think of it?

The Clipper was the first one I was going to mention.Big smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 7:10am
One club mate uses Clipper with D9C FH and D05 BH, pretty fast and stable combo... Good enough for almost everyone.

At pro level, Kristian Karlson uses D9C with Korbel SK7 with great results also..
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 9:33am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

One club mate uses Clipper with D9C FH and D05 BH, pretty fast and stable combo... Good enough for almost everyone.

At pro level, Kristian Karlson uses D9C with Korbel SK7 with great results also..

Is that so?
I looked at a couple of his more recent videos and thought that his game appeared a bit 'old-fashioned' even. But, from what you say, I now realise that it's probably due to him using a wood blade.

Edited by Tinykin - 11/11/2022 at 5:52pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 2:25pm

Do you have pictures of this?  It would explain a lot.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 2:27pm
As for the original question, using a wooden blade is about preferences, would you ask the same question if the rubber was Hurricane 3, if not, then D09C is not the issue.

That said, I do believe it is better to use faster blade with tacky rubber as tacky rubber makes ball release less of an issue.  Then it becomes about weight and adaptation.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/19/2022 at 2:27pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Do you have pictures of this?  It would explain a lot.

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2022 at 6:55pm

https://mytischtennis.de/public/fotos/1867/EM-2022-Die-Schlaeger-der-EM-Stars/11/#content

Amonteiro was faster.

Edited by Bran - 10/19/2022 at 6:57pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2022 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

https://mytischtennis.de/public/fotos/1867/EM-2022-Die-Schlaeger-der-EM-Stars/11/#content

Amonteiro was faster.

Dang. How many booster bottles were used here?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2022 at 10:07am
thanks guys, will give this combo a shot
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2022 at 1:38pm
At the moment, I am using a pre-historic Stiga Allround with Bengtsson handle and it has 09C on the FH.  To date, noone has yet complained that my loop is not fast enough.
That having been said, I am considering trying something with harder outer plies, so OFF- or something along those lines.  I like to use BH punch and the old Allround is a little flexier than I like for that.  However, as far as looping goes, it is a dream.
Interestingly enough, Clipper is one of the blades I intend to try.  I have an older thinner Clipper somewhere here.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2022 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

At the moment, I am using a pre-historic Stiga Allround with Bengtsson handle and it has 09C on the FH.  To date, noone has yet complained that my loop is not fast enough.
That having been said, I am considering trying something with harder outer plies, so OFF- or something along those lines.  I like to use BH punch and the old Allround is a little flexier than I like for that.  However, as far as looping goes, it is a dream.
Interestingly enough, Clipper is one of the blades I intend to try.  I have an older thinner Clipper somewhere here.

ILya

I tried this combo - FH: Dignics 09C, Blade Clipper Wood, BH: Rozena - and it's absolutely phenomenal. The dignics on clipper has surprisingly high throw, but nothing you can't adjust and adapt to. The dwell time helps tremendously with control especially when looping. 
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2022 at 8:55am
Dignics O9C with wooden blades is a Yes for me. I have tried it with a 7 ply Hadraw SR, an old HS Speedy, Kim Jun Hoon Tibhar. I believe it works best with a fast relatively stiff 7 ply like my Hadraw SR. I would presume it would do well with a Clipper, though I have not tried that.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2022 at 1:51pm
I developed bad tendinitis in my thumb from playing Cpen, so unfortunately I'm switching back to SH. I put the D09C on my old TB ALC, and I have to say I really don't like it. Feels too fast and hard. I'm buying a new YSE FL to replace it. If I go back to composite I'll probably go for a softer, flexier, and more woody feeling one like a lower weight Long 5, so I'll keep an eye out on used Long 5's. Too bad Megaspin doesn't have a low weight YSE, the lightest one I can find is 86 grams :( With the smaller head size of the SH blade it's probably still gonna be an acceptable weight for me. 
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2022 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

I developed bad tendinitis in my thumb from playing Cpen, so unfortunately I'm switching back to SH. I put the D09C on my old TB ALC, and I have to say I really don't like it. Feels too fast and hard. I'm buying a new YSE FL to replace it. If I go back to composite I'll probably go for a softer, flexier, and more woody feeling one like a lower weight Long 5, so I'll keep an eye out on used Long 5's. Too bad Megaspin doesn't have a low weight YSE, the lightest one I can find is 86 grams :( With the smaller head size of the SH blade it's probably still gonna be an acceptable weight for me. 
Have you ever considered Timo ZLF? It is a lighter and slower composite blade compared to Timo ALC, and gives a lot of feedback. And also the advantage of a much bigger sweet spot then Sweden Extra.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2022 at 9:00pm

I used D09c with Long 5 before and it is extremely good as a FH setup...a lot of spin and control and dwell time. The only thing I didn't like about Long 5 is that it was too slow for BH pressure play even when I coupled it with D05, the blade is just a bit too slow imo. Unfortunately someone stole my Long 5 at a venue when I was playing smh and I couldn't find it anymore Cry 
-------
Viscaria

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Have you ever considered Timo ZLF? It is a lighter and slower composite blade compared to Timo ALC, and gives a lot of feedback. And also the advantage of a much bigger sweet spot then Sweden Extra.

No, I haven't tried it, but I really don't wanna EJ anymore. I've tried enough blades and rubbers through the years to know what feels good. I don't need perfect, but I clearly gravitate toward slower, more wood-feeling blades like YSE and the Long 5. The ZLF sounds like a blade I'd like, but I'm not sure it'd offer more than the Long 5 which I'd probably have a better chance finding one used and I'm already familiar with. 
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I used D09c with Long 5 before and it is extremely good as a FH setup...a lot of spin and control and dwell time. The only thing I didn't like about Long 5 is that it was too slow for BH pressure play even when I coupled it with D05, the blade is just a bit too slow imo. Unfortunately someone stole my Long 5 at a venue when I was playing smh and I couldn't find it anymore Cry 

Damn, that sucks! My BH is so bad right now that finishing points with it is not even in consideration in choosing a setup lol. I have a pretty strong forehand and solid footwork so that's my main base for choosing setups. For BH I'm just trying to keep the ball on the table. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 3:36pm

Damn, that sucks! My BH is so bad right now that finishing points with it is not even in consideration in choosing a setup lol. I have a pretty strong forehand and solid footwork so that's my main base for choosing setups. For BH I'm just trying to keep the ball on the table. 

Yeah Long 5 is almost the gold standard for FH imo. There's a reason why Ma Long used to play with it... I think even the 968 which a lot of CNT is using is based on the Long 5 really....

Not sure but imo BH is extremely important for shakehand play, it's so easy for opponents to do the old pin you on the BH and then switch down the line when you try to pivot, I also used to not have a strong BH and this tactic was annoying me so much that I took the hard path of improving my BH....
-------
Viscaria

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 4:15pm

Yeah Long 5 is almost the gold standard for FH imo. There's a reason why Ma Long used to play with it... I think even the 968 which a lot of CNT is using is based on the Long 5 really....

Not sure but imo BH is extremely important for shakehand play, it's so easy for opponents to do the old pin you on the BH and then switch down the line when you try to pivot, I also used to not have a strong BH and this tactic was annoying me so much that I took the hard path of improving my BH....

How did you improve your BH? I'm certainly determined to get better with it, I just have no good way to do so. I'm so frustrustrated by it I actually just splurged on an Amicus Prime. I love training anyway, and I don't think just playing, at least at my level, is intense enough as an exercise.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 5:01pm

How did you improve your BH? I'm certainly determined to get better with it, I just have no good way to do so. I'm so frustrustrated by it I actually just splurged on an Amicus Prime. I love training anyway, and I don't think just playing, at least at my level, is intense enough as an exercise.

I did it a different path than most ppl around me who have the more traditional spin oriented BH (think Timo Boll like) which is very difficult to time imo because of the thin brush. It also takes a lot of time to prepare for the stroke. For reliability during matches, the more simple and direct the stroke, the better it would be. 

So I started off really focusing on improving close table BH counters and focusing on hitting the ball solidly with a perpendicular open angle and then extending the arm forward, with the deadlift movement and left-right weight transfer to power it. Once you get really good and effortless at countering topspin, now you have to solve the underspin issue which is the major issue with most amateurs. Most ppl try to brute force overcome the spin which imo doesn't work as well for the BH at all as compared with the FH. So what you want is to be able to do the same effortless "counter" with underspin as you have with topspin, and that is as simple as contacting the bottom of the ball (you'll have to squat to below the ball to see it), and then supinating the forearm to "convert" the underspin to topspin (if you think about it, the opponent's underspin is actually topspin from your perspective, you're simply continuing the spin). Once you know how to do that, countering underspin will become as easy as topspin, and to add power is trivial by using more of the body. This is actually the Harimoto BH loop method which is why you almost never see him waiting for the ball to drop in order to loop it, which makes it possible to stay close table to continuously apply pressure, whereas you see a lot of players make a big af movement to loop the underspin which makes them out of position once those are blocked back. This method (contacting the bottom of the ball then supinating) is also the same method to chiquita underspin balls with ease, no brute force needed. 

So basically I use the same "counter" movement against all balls to loop them, it's all about different ball contact points for different spins, that's all. With good timing on the supination, this counter can actually be tremendously spinny, approaching that from the traditional brute force spin methods...
You can even do a fake supination from time to time, which doesn't convert the underspin, so you're essentially just lifting the ball with residual underspin but it looks like a loop but when ppl block it it'll just go straight to the net. 

Edited by blahness - 11/10/2022 at 5:04pm
-------
Viscaria

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 6:10pm
Thanks, that's certainly a shot I'd like to add to my arsenal. It sounds like you're describing a traditional backhand flick against backspin. MA Long does that a good bit I think where he'd fake a push then flick with his backhand. This type of shot is a bit more difficult for me, as I'm generally preparing for a FH topspin so I stand a bit further back from the table, preventing me from taking the ball early much of the time, and it's pretty critical for the counter to take it early. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 7:06pm

Thanks, that's certainly a shot I'd like to add to my arsenal. It sounds like you're describing a traditional backhand flick against backspin. MA Long does that a good bit I think where he'd fake a push then flick with his backhand. This type of shot is a bit more difficult for me, as I'm generally preparing for a FH topspin so I stand a bit further back from the table, preventing me from taking the ball early much of the time, and it's pretty critical for the counter to take it early. 

It's not a BH flick, but a BH philosophy that can be applied to almost all BH loops and chiquitas or even flicks etc...the idea of opening up the angle and then supinating to convert the underspin rather than trying to brute force brush the ball to give it topspin. You can also do that near or far table, I do plenty of BH loops from mid distance too using the same method too. You can't always stay close table especially when the opponent is moving you around. But yes, the major benefit of this BH philosophy is that it enables one to stay closer to the table because you can literally hit hard "loops" against heavy underspin early without much backswing at all. Also, whatever benefits you obtain from improving your counter also directly improves your BH against underspin because it's essentially the same movement. The other major benefit is not being afraid of sudden spin changes (especially against penholders or pip players) even in the middle of rallies, and ppl who push/chop super heavy underspin because all it takes to neutralize the spin is to contact different areas of the ball. I think the fast close table penhold FH powerloop has a similar concept too from my discussions with high level players - they too can hit hard early against heavy backspin by borrowing the incoming backspin rather than brute force brushing. 

-------
Viscaria

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 8:32pm

It's not a BH flick, but a BH philosophy that can be applied to almost all BH loops and chiquitas or even flicks etc...the idea of opening up the angle and then supinating to convert the underspin rather than trying to brute force brush the ball to give it topspin. You can also do that near or far table, I do plenty of BH loops from mid distance too using the same method too. You can't always stay close table especially when the opponent is moving you around. But yes, the major benefit of this BH philosophy is that it enables one to stay closer to the table because you can literally hit hard "loops" against heavy underspin early without much backswing at all. Also, whatever benefits you obtain from improving your counter also directly improves your BH against underspin because it's essentially the same movement. The other major benefit is not being afraid of sudden spin changes (especially against penholders or pip players) even in the middle of rallies, and ppl who push/chop super heavy underspin because all it takes to neutralize the spin is to contact different areas of the ball. I think the fast close table penhold FH powerloop has a similar concept too from my discussions with high level players - they too can hit hard early against heavy backspin by borrowing the incoming backspin rather than brute force brushing. 

Is it kinda like this shot?  I think the concept is fairly similar to the typical forehand flick.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2022 at 8:59pm
Actually I remember Ti Long had a series which talks exactly about this concept.

And yes it is the exact same concept as what he showed for the BH flick video 

Edited by blahness - 11/10/2022 at 9:00pm
-------
Viscaria

bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2022 at 12:29am
It works with clipper. Imo dignics09c plays similar to booster Hurricane . Kind of.
amitmnagarwal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2023 at 1:17pm
Will Dignics 09C work with 
1. Peter Korbel ? 

Will it suit with 
1. Viscaria 
2. Timo Boll Spirit
Amit Agarwal

Blade : Michael Maze
FH : T05 max
BH : R47
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2023 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by amitmnagarwal amitmnagarwal wrote:

Will Dignics 09C work with 
1. Peter Korbel ? 

Will it suit with 
1. Viscaria 
2. Timo Boll Spirit

Yes. For me D09C works well on my Viscaria ST and my Viscaria Light.

I almost forgot I got a new Clipper and a Rosewood NCT V. Excited to try D09C on these.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic