Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

playing 4th & 5th best Australian sisters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: playing 4th & 5th best Australian sisters
    Posted: 02/28/2009 at 8:40pm
Shocked help! I'm playing her tomorrow night... Have played her 2 before.  The first time was better, I got 1 game of her and 2 close ones and then she shredded me.  Wasn't too ugly last time but she knows me now and she's a very clever player.

I really want to formulate a strong strategy against Peri Campbell-Innes.

So far I'm thinking all out attack - except for shorter low touch shots.

hope greg doesnt mind... me using his pics to help you get an idea of her style.
 She is no. 4 Australian Woman.
This is her rating history

As you can see can loop on her backhand but her forehand is most lethal
AusClosedDay4%20146.JPG
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 8:58pm
practice and patience?
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 8:59pm
thanks, I do practise as much as possible and yes I usually go in thinking just enjoy this.  Patience with her... mmmm If I am passive she punishes me more.
AusClosedDay4%20257.JPG
she uses bryce speed fx both sides on a fast carbon blade, i think something like primorac carbon.  she puts so much punch drive pressure straight after her usual opening spinny slower loop. 

One thing I noticed is that she guards her table so well, so compact in her shots and movements she usually makes me move all over the place hitting my elbow until she sees open table.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:02pm
Do you want to talk to Greg and ask his advise?

Is there a video of her on the web?

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:03pm
usually people with compact strokes like that.. you need to check their wingspan a bit to force weaker returns. But if she just has blatent control over you and the table.. then i think you gotta just train some more so you have more control over the situation. Then just work those wide angles like a madman, hit off the side of the table instead of the end at an angle. Just keep her wings spread wide, and even if they are still good returns.. atleast they aren't as strong as her compacted ones, right?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:05pm
If greg's around for a few tips it would be good, but its tomorrow night.

I just had this other side idea, I actually find it hard to get into any kind of rhythm against her, I think maybe because a lot of the shots are faster than spinnier, maybe I should set that up for a while today on my robot.

matching the butterfly ratings 14 speed 10 spin for the bryce sp fx rubber rating?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:07pm
beeray I can see you have experience
she is compact most the time but she does open up and swing a bit when she has pushed you back
AusClosedDay4%20117.JPG
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:08pm
her stances and swing looks like a semi-pro?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:12pm

If she is semi pro I am zero pro

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:15pm
lol thats all i got. Im not an amazing player. And if you aren't being sarcastic haha then its cool. I understand if you are though Smile

I'm DEFINITELY not up to close to that level.. but that peice of advice helped me beat someone like that. Mixing up wide shots to one side, let her recover with a better shot and then cut the angle off to spread her out again. Whether you cut it off with a spinny block or punch or whatever, she wont have an easy time with it. When you have her off balance on one side of the table, and then give her the same shot to recover, She has a lot less angle to work you over with.. so cutting the angle off is much easier for you.

But other than that, just pray before hand haha. Throw a little somethin somethin in her gatorade bottle before hand, that might help?

Stern%20Smile thats the best advice of all, really.

Good luck!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:15pm
beeray can you elaborate on this Im a touch confused

"hit off the side of the table instead of the end at an angle" 

and yes I know about the train some more, pray harder side.  Although I do really appreciate the go wider 
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:21pm
At the end of the table at an angle meaning off the corner or from the outside to the middle or whatever angle.. just work a harder angle so the ball bounces off the side of the table instead of the end of the table whenever you can.

You gotta fight for control of the table.. IF she backs you off.. lob with a fury rivaled to that of Zeus. Drop lighting in the form of spin variation and trajectory variation. Work a wide angled short game, but then when she falls into that rhythm just mix it up. Get her into a rhythm and then break it right away.. make her EXPECT that wide short push. Sell it to her like its a chocolate bar, then deliver that long flat flip to the elbow. Think outside the box. And also, scream like you won the lottery after every point.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:26pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_V-gtTUnfA
only thing I can find is this of her playing

she starts at 2mins:55secs
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:30pm
I can't personally watch it right now because the computer I'm on is horrible. I can post something in regards to it later tonight.

I hope Greg letts can give you some advice!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 9:39pm
actually that whole video is worth watching to get a real express understanding of what the best Australian players have to offer.  That is if you consider miao miao to be Australian.

cheers - i wont be hanging around this forum for the next few hours im heading to the brothers place for the old aussie tradition of steaks on barbie (bbQ) with cold beers. 

Its good preperation for someone as serious as meCool

but i am taking the match and advice i get seriously because usually the single tiny tip I get between games is what gives me enough edge to teeter over 9:9 situations.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 10:52pm
I'm probably not a high enough rated player to provide great advice, but from what I've seen in women table tennis, women players play close to the table and almost hog the table. They hover all over the endline and don't really use their footwork well in working their way in for a kill shot.

For example. Frequently its a simple exchange of forehand to forehand, or backhand to backhand combinations, so the transitions from FH to BH and the consistency of the shots is what wins the game. Whoever is better at transitioning and whoever is better at consistency usually wins.  The games are also very rhythm oriented.

I would try to mix things up. First, when beginning to exchange you are essentially pinned in a specific part of the table, but neither sides usually step back to go for a kill shot after another return that is perhaps a bit weaker or simply closer to a power zone - such as a FH drive.

I've also not seen much wide angles used by women since their loops are more flat - single directional - traditional if you will. Just an upward curve then the ball lands, no side spin jumps. You can also mix things up instead of countering by trying to block the ball away from opponents power zones and force a weaker return.

Lastly, the rhythm does not have to remain the same, you can alternate higher angle spinnier shots for faster less spinnier ones. The utilmate goal  - force an opponent to err on reading the spin or speed.

I would suggest drilling these combinations so that you're ready to use a specific strategy on the fly without thinking.

Rerun the previous games in your head if you still recall them and see if you could have altered the strategy what would it be. Perhaps that would help you plan out the game.
Back to table tennis...
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 11:01pm
Simple. Switch to Tenergy both sides.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 11:03pm
yea you understand how she plays with the close to table hitting style mainly.

All I remember is that I won by ripping the hell out of the ball a few times in a row to get past her.  She either opened up with that soft rubber hard blade kind of loop from her backhand which is slow but spinny and short making it hard to do anything with and then she just drives drives into my backhand.  
I would try to go her elbow and she turn to her forehand and that about it.

So much control in that. 
Yes I've been setting up the robot for the last hour tinkering with it trying to get the spin and speed ratio to what i remember her to use mostly.

I might try see if I can record the match tomorrow, so I have something to work with for the next encounter.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 11:05pm
lildudejds thanks,

i have already tried that.

As we have spoke about this before, I have been contemplating going back to speed fx (the same as you.)  Ive been hitting with it when killing time on another blade and starting to think when I finish off these tenergy 64s Im going back to it for its weight, speed and less spin for service retrurn.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 11:57pm
hey if you wanna get rid of one of the 64's.. let a brotha know!

I would really encourage video taping and posting that match.. I really want to see it, and it would be a great helping tool.
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 1:32am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

[COLOR=#333333">lildudejds[/COLOR"> thanks,

i have already tried that.

As we have spoke about this before, I have been contemplating going back to speed fx (the same�as you.)� Ive been hitting with it when killing time on another blade and starting to think when I finish off these tenergy 64s Im going back to it for its weight, speed and less spin for service retrurn.

Speed Fx is a great rubber. Sometimes I find it a tiny bit mushy when looping underspin. I'm getting ready to order a sheet of 64 for my backhand to try. I personally don't like speed fx on my forehand, but the 2350 14 year old I train with has it both sides and loves it....so it's certainly acceptable for top players.

That comment about tenergy was pretty much all sarcasm as I'm sure you picked up(referring to the varies threads lately about tenergy).
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 2:46am
I thought I knew what you were refering to mate.  If you were in Australia I'd sell it to you boys cost to me price.

I want to tape it see what happens tomorrow, its busy and noisy so might get firend on control a few beers to do it for me.

Oh my god dont say the word mushy! some intelligent poster here had a go at me for saying i thought a wood blade with 05 2.1 is too mushy.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 11:12am
I hope you are a pretty strong player because no 4 female is getting pretty good. I've managed to beat members of the Jnr female AU team before *just* but I'm only a good club level male, I wouldn't have a hope against that highly a ranked female player. I have played members and ex memebers of the open female team when I was younger but never won.

You can usually beat the younger jnr females on power alone (strong loops they can't usually deal with that) but once they get some experience they (the girls) are often are very good at returning topspin. I watched the video but it's very hard to see how well she can return topspin when playing another female.

The best option I think is just watch how the stronger male players in your club beat her (if any can, Brisbane is a big place so I guess a few can) and learn from that. But generally you wont beat a highly ranked girl playing speed shots, that's their bread and butter, You really have to smack the ball around with HEAPs of topspin as that is not the normal game they play

TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 1:50pm
Girls generally cant deal with spin. And if they loose a couple of points in a row they are in trouble. Just vary the spin and yell after you win a point, thats it. Make her nervous, DONT play a regular game. Try different things, do not push long but if you have to push long than you have to use some placement too, do not let Peri play her game. You cant beat a girl with a block-hit-flat loop game. Play a spin oriented game.
But if she's really better than you than just enjoy the game :)

ps: oh nevermind!.. I just watched that video, she's good, enjoy the game...
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 4:37pm
thanks guys will take all this on board, yes there is maybe 1 guy that can beat her but there is no way in the world I can play as good as him.

No! I can. I will. I will. I will.Wink
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 4:49pm
i cant really give advice on how to play her, but i saw peri up and close in sydney when she was playing the wah saing finals in market city.

she was playing with a primorac carbon, and her game is so fast, hogging the table and punching the opponent out of position.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 12:27am
im scared :/

I hope you do well. Cant wait to see the vid.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 2:17am
the man you summed her right up there and thats what she does to me.

Ill be heading in to the centre in about an hour, just going to have a 5 minute hit on my robot to get a feel for all the shots, then shower and rest on my bed. 

strategy is to try to go wide right to get her away from her 3/4 haven then go wide left etc.
also try pushing long and hard and open up a cat fight, not blocking but hitting a bit instead to get off her rhythm. 
lastly try to receive serve with forehand every second ball to put her off and also step wide and backhand as wide forehand aswell.

Im excited, the other guy I have to beat is also very good and I will use a similar strategy with him.  He rips anything that goes over the end line with his forehand especially his turning on the backhand end.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 4:14pm

I played aweful, but not bad considering how sick I felt this weekend and yesterday I was feverish and cramped.  Now that all my excuses are finished.

She pulverised me 3:0 and I also lost to the other guy 16:14 in the 5th.
I didn't do my usual warm up because I had zero energy, and just missed shots that really suprised me.  Our team won still since my team mate won his 2 matches and then in the doubles I finally had had enough warm up to really come alive, I thought I played very well there with about 5 over the table loops in row of there serve, also all my counter spinning finally came good.  I think also helps that doubles is often slower with partners scared they"ll  miss?

Anyway her backhand punch is the deadlies weapon by far.  Its so fast, low, compact just comes from nothing. 

I will post videos when I get time.  It will be easy to edit to a shorter length since I scored under 20 points.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2009 at 10:10pm
under 20 points in a 3 straight loss? hey thats still pretty good considering she is no.4 in national rankings
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic