Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ma Long serve training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kentyu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ma Long serve training
    Posted: 02/22/2010 at 5:13pm
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but saw it on youtube and thought it's really nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT-8iPeHoKg&feature=related

Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 5:22pm
I'm sure there is loads of variation in those services but them being one and two bounced doesn't look that spectacular.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 6:09pm
The slo-mo at 1:25 clearly shows that it is an illegal serve.
Dagoboz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagoboz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2010 at 7:26pm
You would think someone would give him a ball catcher for his birthday.
Blade: Maze
FH: Something
BH: Something Else
wfberkhof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfberkhof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 8:21am
The disguise on his last couple of serves is really excellent. Now I've got something new to try. :)
I'm a tt-trainer with 18 years of experience.

Waldner Black Devil CB with LKT Pro XP (2.2mm) and 729 FX Super Soft (2.2mm)
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

I'm sure there is loads of variation in those services but them being one and two bounced doesn't look that spectacular.

Yes, not spectacular at all until you consider how well they are disguised, low bounce making attack difficult, ability to place it anywhere on the table and ability to follow up with a huge 3rd ball if opponent's return is not extremely good.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 10:27am
Those serves are perfectly legal.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

I think I agree with you on this.  Other serves are not but this one particular type of serve is somehow illegal.

One thing that I do not like about the no-hidden serves rule is that the referee cannot tell if it's hidden or not from where he/she sits or stands.  It does look to the referee that the server removes the non-playing arm at contact but to the receiver, it probably not.

I have a lefty in my club that he throws the ball a little behind his body and even though he removes his non-playing arm at contact, it's still hidden but if someone stands on the side facing him, he/she will say that it's perfectly legal.

It's somehow a disadvantage to players who follow the rules.  I read somewhere that in 2-serve games with 11 points, serving becomes important, and if nobody enforces the rules, the players with "legal" hidden-serves will have the upper hand.  In the recent 2010 Qatar Open, I believe that the serves of Lee Jung Woo in the game against Ryu Seung Min are clearly illegal but he did not get any penalty.

I think ITTF should just remove the no-hidden serve rules because I guess it's one part of the game.  Recently, nobody enforces that rule at all and it might become an issue if the referee cannot tell.  I guess, they will need to have two other assistant referees to stay in the back of the court and it will be a big problem because now they will need to have 4 referees for one court.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 11:07am
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Yes, not spectacular at all until you consider how well they are disguised, low bounce making attack difficult, ability to place it anywhere on the table and ability to follow up with a huge 3rd ball if opponent's return is not extremely good.

I agree 100% with you.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As he makes contact with the ball, it is clearly hidden behind his arm. Just because he is moving his arm out of the way at the time doesn't make it legal.
It would be almost impossible for an umpire to call it illegal though unless he was able to scrutinise each serve using slo-mo which would slow the game down somewhat.

ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 11:36am
it's legal. YOu can cover anytime but when your racket contact the ball. At that time, receiver has to see the ball and racket from you.
sebas-aguirre View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:13pm
the serves don't seem all that wonderful...
ma long seems more the kind of players that bases his game in fitness and power.
wang liqin would be the opposite in the chinese team, more touch and sensitivity.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:17pm
If the opponent has the same view as the camera, then there are some illegal hidden serves in there and I would complain to the umpire. But its probably the camera angle that makes it look like he's hiding the serve.

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:20pm

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As he makes contact with the ball, it is clearly hidden behind his arm. Just because he is moving his arm out of the way at the time doesn't make it legal.
It would be almost impossible for an umpire to call it illegal though unless he was able to scrutinise each serve using slo-mo which would slow the game down somewhat.

The contact point is only behind his arm depending on where the viewing point is from. I say it is legal. You can see the ball and contact easily from the camera's point of view. If you choose to stand in a position that obscures the contact point, that's your perogative.
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:24pm
thats funny cuz its at the exact point when he makes contact with the ball that he hides it with his non playing arm
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:25pm
For illegal serves, simply talk to Lee Jung Woo. He knows where it's at.
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:33pm
Put this guy on the illegal server list: Christophe Legout.   Just like Lee Jung Woo, throwing the ball, but not straight.
okiduki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okiduki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 12:36pm

well international games umpires dun bother to fault them, whereas on national level the umpires just love fault us.. i wonder why?! no guts maybe

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 1:02pm

I watched the slow-mo 3 times. The ball is visible to me (at the angle of that cam) from the toss to the contact, except maybe 0.05 sec hidden behind his nose, you're gonna call that illegal? He could of done it more cleanly and removed his free arm faster after the toss, and I think there might be a rule that requires to remove the free arm right after the toss, but I don't see most pros do that, which makes sense because the toss has a follow-through, too.
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 1:45pm
Rule 2.6.5:
As soon as the ball has been projected, the server�s free arm shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.

What's the deal with "shall"?  Can they say "must".

His free arm lingers around a bit too long.  I don't think he does that in a real match.

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 1:58pm
u guys are all too good as players to judge:)
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 1:59pm
I can only say that illegal or not, no-hidden serve rule could cause a lot of debates and some players could get away from it so I think just make it legal so everybody can hide his/her serves if he/she wants.  It's much harder to spot someone that hide his/her serve than the 6-inch toss rule.  And during league plays or some small tournaments where there are no referee or umpire around, that is not fair for the players who go with the rules since I already stated, in 2-serve with 11-point game, serving becomes more important than before.

And talking about the video, the serves at the end (I think at about 2:00 minute), he clearly moves his non-playing arm away sooner than the serves that we are talking about here).

I don't think Ma Long serves illegally in matches at all.  And I do like Ma Long as well as any other great players.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 2:47pm
I think the rules are sensible.  They should have enforced it in stead of going by the common practice.  Check the 2.6.6x rules, the umpire can call a let and subsequently a violation, base on a "doubt", and there are plenty to be doubtful about in these half hidden serves.

This is the opposite of U.S. laws.  You have to proof that you are not guilty.  And if there is any doubt, you can be assumed guilty.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
fiveplyian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiveplyian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

I watched the slow-mo 3 times. The ball is visible to me (at the angle of that cam) from the toss to the contact, except maybe 0.05 sec hidden behind his nose, you're gonna call that illegal? He could of done it more cleanly and removed his free arm faster after the toss, and I think there might be a rule that requires to remove the free arm right after the toss, but I don't see most pros do that, which makes sense because the toss has a follow-through, too.

I agree. After multiple views this serve is barely legal but you can see the ball all the way to contact.

With the free arm being removed partially at first and then suddenly just before contact he succeeds in totally shielding any view of his bat as it approaches contact whilst letting you see the ball. The net effect is that you have almost no chance to assess contact which might be against spirit of new rules but meets them as written (just).

I am going to think about disguising my bat approach a bit more whilst showing the 'ball'.
Ian
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

I think I agree with you on this.  Other serves are not but this one particular type of serve is somehow illegal.

One thing that I do not like about the no-hidden serves rule is that the referee cannot tell if it's hidden or not from where he/she sits or stands.  It does look to the referee that the server removes the non-playing arm at contact but to the receiver, it probably not.

I have a lefty in my club that he throws the ball a little behind his body and even though he removes his non-playing arm at contact, it's still hidden but if someone stands on the side facing him, he/she will say that it's perfectly legal.

It's somehow a disadvantage to players who follow the rules.  I read somewhere that in 2-serve games with 11 points, serving becomes important, and if nobody enforces the rules, the players with "legal" hidden-serves will have the upper hand.  In the recent 2010 Qatar Open, I believe that the serves of Lee Jung Woo in the game against Ryu Seung Min are clearly illegal but he did not get any penalty.

I think ITTF should just remove the no-hidden serve rules because I guess it's one part of the game.  Recently, nobody enforces that rule at all and it might become an issue if the referee cannot tell.  I guess, they will need to have two other assistant referees to stay in the back of the court and it will be a big problem because now they will need to have 4 referees for one court.

FireHorse

that serve is not hidden--to a right-hander standing at the backhand, which, if you notice is the exact viewpoint of the camera.

but it may be hidden to a lefthander standing at the backhand, though.  so, technically the serve may be illegal, but you can serve "illegally" and have the ball still visible to the receiver from start to finish, provided the receiver plays with the same hand as you.

as for umpires, i do believe they have a clear enough view to tell whether a serve is illegal or not.

as for the serve above, the sticking point is the rule that the hand or free arm cannot be between the ball and the net.

cuz if you throw the ball back, but away from your body, you can have your hand or free arm between the ball and net, yet still have the ball visible to an opponent who plays with the same hand.

that said, i see a lot of illegality and what i think is happening is what happened a long time ago--the serve was not supposed to be hidden before, but the umps simply did not enforce the rule.

for example, at the qatar open, i happened to see primorac's match and i was shocked to see him actually have the free arm in front of the ball (on his forehand serve).  it was clear as day yet the umps said nothing.

also, i see a lot of people tossing the ball over the table and that's illegal as well.

that said, none of these violations of the rule are really all that serious.  remember, most of the pros learned the game before fall 2003 when hidden serves were banned (again), so they are used to the ball being hidden, or another way of saying it is that most servers are just simply not doing anything so special on the serve that hiding it would make much of a difference.

and as for tossing the ball over the table, you're not gonna really gain much of an advantage if your hand is just a little over the table on the toss, especially if, again, you're not doing anything with the serve.

anyhow, i think the players are just gonna violate the rule anyway, and the umps are not going to enforce it, so, unofficially at least, the no-hidden serve rule is gonna change.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

that said, none of these violations of the rule are really all that serious.  remember, most of the pros learned the game before fall 2003 when hidden serves were banned (again), so they are used to the ball being hidden, or another way of saying it is that most servers are just simply not doing anything so special on the serve that hiding it would make much of a difference.

I do not agree with you about the pros get used to the hidden serves and they still unconsciously doing it.   

Edit:  I think I misunderstood your statements. 

But I don't think the pros get used to the balls being hidden so it won't affect them.  Imagine Liu Goulang serves without hidden, it couldn't give him an upper hand as he used to have during his time.  He still could have upper hand because he invested more time in practicing serves but not as deadly as it was.

anyhow, i think the players are just gonna violate the rule anyway, and the umps are not going to enforce it, so, unofficially at least, the no-hidden serve rule is gonna change.

I hope that it will change, meaning that you can hide if you want to, so it won't become a complaint.  I do say that because this rule is so easy to violate (or being complained) and nobody can challenge or enforce it.

My main point is I just hope that they will allow hidden serves again so everybody can take advantage of it legally instead of illegally.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 4:49pm
It doesn't matter whether the ball is visible to a right hander or to the camera, the fact is that his hand not removed as soon as the ball is projected. In fact it is still in this space at the time of contact. Just pause the vid at the correct time and it is obvious. 

2.06.05  As soon as the ball has been projected, the server�s free arm and hand shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.

I also agree that the rule can't be (or just isn't) enforced so might as well be dropped.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 4:52pm
@ firehorse

as for your 1st point, i'm not totally sure what you are trying to say.

as for LGL, i recall that he did say that the banning of hidden serves was a major reason for his retirement, but i would say that it was the banning of his rubber that really caused him to go down.  and he was going down long before the hidden-serve ban came into effect.
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by sebas-aguirre sebas-aguirre wrote:

the serves don't seem all that wonderful...

Really? How often do you see Ma Long's opponents doing a very strong 2nd ball attack. How often do you see Ma Long being able to strongly attack on 3rd ball to win or control the point. If his serves weren't all that wonderful what do you think you would see on 2nd and 3rd ball?

Regarding legality of serves, pros will push the rules as much as they can until they get called by the umpire. The camera angle here is irrelevant. Only relevant angle is the umpire's and how strictly the umpire is implementing the serve rules.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2010 at 5:54pm

@ firehorse

as for your 1st point, i'm not totally sure what you are trying to say.

as for LGL, i recall that he did say that the banning of hidden serves was a major reason for his retirement, but i would say that it was the banning of his rubber that really caused him to go down.  and he was going down long before the hidden-serve ban came into effect.

I probably did not make myself clear in the first point but I don't think it's really matter now.

About LGL, I think you know more about table tennis history to tell more about him.  Could you tell me the reason why they banned his rubbers?

And would you agree that hidden serves do have some effects that they banned it, otherwise, they didn't, right?

FireHorse
Current Setup:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic