FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Bad Match Habits Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 9:49pm
My thoughts-
Strategy suggestion-Work on trying to block your opponents loops. You seemed to want to counter hit hard. A simple block will be very effective against this player and much easier to execute.
Technique suggestion-Your FH often was almost a slap of the ball. As others have said, looping (grazing it) would be helpful. For your BH you hit/blocked a number with the paddle out to your side. I would suggest moving more and keeping your BH shots in front of you.

just some suggestions.

Also you serve out of a closed hand btw:)
Sponsored Links

xander7803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xander7803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 10:31pm
   The biggest problem that I see in your game is what my coach would say is that you are "admiring your shots"!!! It sounds funny but believe it or not it's the fundamental of tt. When my coach is taking on a new talent,for thefirst 6 months all he does is teaches the child to get back to "ready" position as quickly as possible. Once that is implanted in muscle memory you start with the right technique that all this players in the forum talked about it. If you notice 95% of the time you are not even close of being ready for the shots. The returned ball catches you "on the wrong foot" so to speak. My personal advice (i did try it) is for the next 6 months all you should do is to be ready for the next shot meaning that let's say you are training in forehand rally. Try to bring your hand back faster so you are ready for the next shot. Same for service. Serve and don't worry where the ball goes, just look at your opponents movement and be ready for the ball. When serving (if you look at the good players) by the time the ball reaches the other half of the table, the server is already in the ball receiving position ie: topspin or chop back, but bottom line is that you be ready for the receive. I hope I make sense to you my man! I do see that you love this sport and RESPECT for that!!!
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 11:03pm
On top of what xander7803 said, it reminded me of something that a few people I play with do. I keep telling them stop "posing." They attempt to kill the ball, I return it, and they're stuck still in that killshot position and then I usually get the point. Then there are the people who don't move laterally.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2011 at 12:19am
good points about the "posing" or admiring shots.

..must..get..back..to...ready...position...

..so i can move again!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2011 at 4:08am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

good points about the "posing" or admiring shots.

..must..get..back..to...ready...position...

..so i can move again!
Well we can all tell you to do it till the cows come home, but not giving advice on how to do it can leave one stumped. Visualization helps me work on some physical motions. Be careful though. When you do this right, your body is inclined to actually try the motion so make sure when your visualizing a loop kill that nobody is nearby. LOL
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2011 at 9:43am
Original post updated to include shots i never use in a game.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2011 at 10:28am
Just a few things I noticed (and I'm guilty of these when playing games as well).

1.) A lot of times when receiving service your bat is below the table - you are then rushed to bring your bat up and forward for a good push.
2.) 80% of your shots are too predictable. Always cross court, always the same three shots. Block, push, flat hit. Don't see many loops or top spins.
3.) Your loops seem to be way off and you look like you have a tendency to try to just smack the ball. Regardless of the spin. He will do a bad chop, leaving it up high. I think a SLOWER brushing motion at 45 deg will get this safely back into the table. All I hear is the *THWACK* sound of your bat - sounds like you're trying to smash it.
4.) When you do a fast serve to his BH you spend way too long getting into position then seem genuinely suprised when he BH punches it into your body. Generally if you serve long and fast it comes back long and fast.

I guess the overall theme is that you need to add more spin to your game and vary your placement.
You also need to spend less time admiring your serves/pushes/shots and more time preparing for the next one.

Perhaps our style is just different - but your strokes (no offense) just look a little weird to me. During your BH block/topspin practice I noticed that you simply just lift the ball back a lot instead of using the top sheet to grip and brush the ball back (to generate some nasty spin).
Also during your FH loop practice it looks like you start off with a loop(?) but then just keep on looping with a mostly upward motion. Typically if I open with a loop the next hit is a smash (if it's high) or top spin (if it's low) [also depends on how far from the table the other guy is].

I'd say you'd benefit a lot if you just slowed down your stroke entirely and focus on developing more touch and perfecting your mechanics. Really hard to get the right technique down when you're trying to kill the ball!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic