Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video of me: Tips and Pointers welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video of me: Tips and Pointers welcome
    Posted: 04/21/2011 at 3:23am
Here is a video of me playing a long pips defender at my school.

I hope to upload some more of me playing some different opponents as well, possibly later in the week.  I welcome any pointers or tip you have for me.

UPDATE 

Here is another video of me playing a more aggressive opponent.  I have some more I'm in the process of uploading but it takes a while because they are in HD.

As always feel free to give some tips and pointers.  I know my grip is a little too forehand oriented but its just kind of unconscious for me, I don't even realize I'm doing it.

UPDATE

Another video of me and Filmon.

Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
Sponsored Links

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 3:34am
dang, the quality of the video is pretty good! is this from a camera phone or what?
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 3:34am
Notice that you raise your elbow when looping.  I believe the solution is to start your stroke at a lower position.

But I think your biggest issue is your grip - by far the biggest issue.  When you start hitting, your index finger is about parallel to the handle and that is big problem.  Will fix your issues with fh to bh transitions later.

Besides that, I don't know what else to tell you except get a coach and start from basics.  I don't know what your goals for tt are but I recommend getting a quality coach.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 3:35am
Flip HD.  Records in HD but sure takes forever to upload on youtube!

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 4:14am
Theres something funky with your grip. I would recommend using a more standard shakehand grip with the index finger lower and not sticking up. So you can control the blade better with your thumb and index finger. lol at the balls of fury comment. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2011 at 4:16am
Well apart from a bit more speed and practice needed on your forehand shots, be careful not to over run to take a forehand every shot. (as a better player will just hit back to your backhand)

I would recommend thinking about tactics/body language and antisipation

1.Firstly all your serves went to the same spot and as he was holding his bat in a backhand position a few quick ones down the line or  a short serve would have been easy points. 
2. All his serves were the same so there is no need to move late as you know where its going to go so you can start attacking them any way you want and not just doing a lift shot, 
also as he served from the right side so attacking quickly either to his backhand or body would have been gifts

So vary your serving placement,speed and spin, serve for a reason! and be ready to take control of thier serves (especially if predictable)

Also some basic backhand to backhand drills and forehand to forehand drills to give you confidence there and adding to his by doing a backhand first then a forehand on the backhand side then another forehand on you right side then keep repeating, If you don't have a coach then ask your mates to help and then you help them
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 1:23am
Thanks for the pointers. I definitely need to work on my grip, I try to keep it more like it should but I start doing forehands and it just starts going to that grip.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 2:17am
There is nothing wrong with your grip, I know many advanced players who have a prominent index finger, if anything, it leads to a weaker b/hand, but it certainly won't be detremental to your f/hand.
There is not too much wrong with your game, it shows the correct level of competence for the standard you are at, just keep practicing, and as they all say, get a coach/ coaching session just to tidy things up.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 1:29am
Another video added.  Let me know what you all think.

nightcrawler56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightcrawler56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 6:50am
Bro you are looking a lot better.

Tips on the update:

1) Make an attempt to become more fluid with your movements and technique, it will just help you develop further and things (faster game, better footwork)
2) In this video you were a lot of mistakes, the other play did not actually outplay you in some if not any points, so maybe focus on just consistency when you are playing someone worse than you.
3) When you are looping make sure you move your feet, bend your knees and work on your technique fluidity.

Other then that, looking good
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 11:20am
who was the girl in green that walked across?

you're pretty much using only your shoulder muscle for the loops (bad...will lead to future injury). it goes back to the fluid movement that everyone's talking about. the fh loops uses a lot of muscle groups (bicep, pectoral, shoulder, back, abdominal, quads, etc...).

the better at kinetic linking you are, the less stress you put on your body.

Edited by tpgh2k - 04/23/2011 at 11:24am
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 5:09pm
First off, I want to say that I *really* enjoyed those videos. Thank you for sharing them. It gives me an idea of what sort of consistency I need to develop on my forehand and what sort of mid speed openings I need to create. You have exactly the skillset from your FH that I am missing!

The biggest complaint I have about many YouTube videos I see is that the players are either professionals or are simply attempting to mimic professional strokes, and it's very difficult to learn from them. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that you make some deliberate FH topspin shots and use angle and placement well. Your overall game especially against the defender does a good job of moving him out of position and taking avantage of the the openings you create. Good thinking. Good play. I'm curious though - why does your backhand topspin show up so much more vs the defender than Filmon? That rally vs Filmon at 4:55 was very good.

Actually, I was more than impressed with the consistency of your forehand topspin on many balls especially considering your rubber choice Big smile Am I correct in my observation that Thor's is so fast that it frequently seems to be forcing you to make near vertical strokes to keep the ball from going long?

Like me, you seem to avoid using backhand topspin in matches, however, you don't seem terribly comfortable pushing either. I thought you did a pretty solid job of getting your feet into position to use your forehand. Far better than I can do.

But to cover your backhand a bit better I recommend pingskills backhand push and bh topspin videos, and switching to a more "meat and potatoes" BH rubber like Sriver/Mark V/Mendo/Rapid/Coppa until you have some of the control and versatility that your forehand displays. I was surprised that you won that final point against Filmon using your BH push against his normally stronger backhand; that certainly shows promise. You mentioned that he was up 2 games - who won the match?

Based off of everything I see, I'd hazard a guess that you are somewhere US1100 +/- 100 based on your scores against your opponents, your shot selection, short game, overall power and consistency. Adding a more comfortable backhand to that will get you 200-300 US points easy, you'll likely beat me to US1500 in no small part because of the smarts and the consistency you display on that forehand.

p.s.
In video vs. defender - rally at 8:55 owns it. way to move him around and create the opening.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 5:33pm
Thanks icontek, my forehand is definitely my strong point and I shy away from using my bh much which is probably I have developed some decent footwork. I am considering going to something more controllable on bh and filmon did take the match in the next game which I do have recorded but haven't yet put up. My videos are in hd and take awhile to upload but I have some more I want to put up. Btw filmon is a 1500, defender is unrated and I am close to 1100 but it has been a little while since a tournament and I am probably a tad underrated now.

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2011 at 6:59pm
I notice you pose on your shots especially your forehand. Since you don't seem to be swinging that hard, you shouldn't be getting stuck (though you aren't really caught so much since the pace seems to be slow). I think you should next go to add power by using your legs and the kinetic chain better (if I used the correct name for it).
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 1:27am
Here is a video continuing the match with Filmon and starting another one if anyone is interested in watching it.  I also have another that I'm uploading right now and I'm not going to post that one here but it will be on my youtube account if anyone wants to see it.  Thank you all for the advice so far and any further advice in the future.

I also put this link up at my first post as well.

player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 2:11am
The biggest mistake of ALL beginners (I think I am advanced beginnerSmile) is that they start hitting the ball with approx 60-70 degrees angle to make a topspin and then being afraid the ball is gonna go to the net, players begin to widen the angle to 90 or above and move the hand not forward but up. 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 3:20am

+10 Just wondered how te express the same idea.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 1:16pm
Just a quick clarification:

What I liked most about your matches with Filmon is that you are thinking and frequently making good decisions. This applies to shot selection (you are not wildly swinging at everything) and placement (you frequently force Filmon to move). However, do you notice how through many of the points, Filmon simply blocks or counters your forehand and moves you around? That sort of control is critical, because it allows him to dictate the point. I'm jealous that you have an opponent like that to practice with! And if you don't mind me asking, what is Filmon's last name; I want to check his match history at USATT - it's not that I don't believe you that he's 1500, but I'm curious about his "peak" performance (highest rated win)  (you can PM if you feel posting it in a public forum is bad form). It's clear from these games that he's pretty relaxed and knows that he has the tools to control many of the points. His counter hit against your smash demonstrates an inkling of what he can do against aggressive attack.

Speaking of aggressive. You might be surprised to find out that if you switch to more classic rubbers that you actually wind up playing a little more aggressively, because right now the "power" of the rubber you use is encouraging you to play in a tentative manner. As someone else mentioned, and I'll paraphrase - "a good way to use slower gear is to play a controlled attacking game" :D
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 1:40pm
hmmm ...

Need to tighten up, everything. Start with shortening your backhand and forehand swing. Use your legs more instead of your arms when forehand looping. That is one of the reason you tend to open your upper arms and your tendency to lead with your arms instead of your feet.

Edited by bonggoy - 04/25/2011 at 1:42pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Just a quick clarification:What I liked most about your matches with Filmon is that you are thinking and frequently making good decisions. This applies to shot selection (you are not wildly swinging at everything) and placement (you frequently force Filmon to move). However, do you notice how through many of the points, Filmon simply blocks or counters your forehand and moves you around? That sort of control is critical, because it allows him to dictate the point. I'm jealous that you have an opponent like that to practice with! And if you don't mind me asking, what is Filmon's last name; I want to check his match history at USATT - it's not that I don't believe you that he's 1500, but I'm curious about his "peak" performance (highest rated win)  (you can PM if you feel posting it in a public forum is bad form). It's clear from these games that he's pretty relaxed and knows that he has the tools to control many of the points. His counter hit against your smash demonstrates an inkling of what he can do against aggressive attack.Speaking of aggressive. You might be surprised to find out that if you switch to more classic rubbers that you actually wind up playing a little more aggressively, because right now the "power" of the rubber you use is encouraging you to play in a tentative manner. As someone else mentioned, and I'll paraphrase - "a good way to use slower gear is to play a controlled attacking game" :D

I do agree with u there icontek. I could probably use more controllable equipment and I have already ordered sriver for my bh but not sure what to get for my fh because I do really like thors it's maybe just too fast. Is there anything that plays similar to thors but is slower? Also filmons last name is yohannes. He has only played like three tournaments before and the highest he ever beat was probably close to 1600. In practice tho he has beat my friend rich who is 1700 and my friend dash when he was 1700 but he hasn't played dash since he became an 1800.

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 5:16pm
Thor's is not that hard to use... I actually thinks its one of the easier rubbers I have played with. It has a great easy feeling about it when playing passive, so all you have to worry about is getting the contact correct for the attacking game (which could be said for any rubber anyway). And I actually think the Thor's does you justice. You use it well. I wouldn't change it if I were you. The BH rubber however I would consider changing. Try twiddling and using Thors ;)
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 5:18pm
actually to be fair I didn't really notice you struggling with your setup. So don't bother changing anything. Just practice. You play quite well. Just needs experience and more confidence. Keep it up bro
Stiga Clipper
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:40am
I agree Thors is very easy to play passively. but......! and this is the big deal, it's not easy to use once you really start working that monster sponge under it. To learn to be a good table tennis player, you need to learn how to have control when hitting hard and it's best to learn that with a slower rubber. There's nothing wrong with keeping on using Thors but I think the improvement curve would be quicker with one of the slower DHS rubbers. This is just my opinion though, it doesn't mean it's the right one for everyone
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 5:15am
Agree with you bluebucket. Hence why I'm using H3NEO.
But if he liked Thors then I say stick with it. If not then I say use a NEO
Stiga Clipper
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Thor's is not that hard to use... I actually thinks its one of the easier rubbers I have played with. It has a great easy feeling about it when playing passive, so all you have to worry about is getting the contact correct for the attacking game (which could be said for any rubber anyway). And I actually think the Thor's does you justice. You use it well. I wouldn't change it if I were you. The BH rubber however I would consider changing. Try twiddling and using Thors ;)

If I had your strokes and footwork, I might think Thors was easy to use!
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

If I had your strokes and footwork, I might think Thors was easy to use!

on the contrary my friend :) 
I think you might benefit from it too. H3 untuned in my experience is a tough rubber to attack consistently with, especially with looping, unless using the correct contact at all times. Thors on the other hand in my opinion and experience helps you out when attacking. Try it out again and u might be pleasantly surprised.
You use H3 untuned right? if not then woops hahaha my bad
Stiga Clipper
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 1:20pm
H3 Neo Provincial Factory Tuned 2.15mm 38 degree from prott.cc

But that won't fit in my signature :)

-No break in period
-Plays like a lightly glued H3, but more stable in short game
-I dunno if I think it is more or less forgiving than unglued classic h3

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 1:26pm
H3Neo is definitely easier to use than H3 unglued/untuned
I dont know and tbh dont really care about the differences of the provincial, but I will say that ok then my bad lol
Thors and H3Neo both have their trade offs with each other. Thors takes it for looping though, it feels a lot easier to loop with
Stiga Clipper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic