FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sanwei Pistol Grip - Legal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanwei Pistol Grip - Legal?
    Posted: 03/04/2012 at 4:25pm
Hi all,

Just for kicks I took the Sanwei Pistol blade from TommyZai's hands.  I'm actually really enjoying using it, and it has randomly sorted out a problem I have been having with backhand/forehand transitions since I had surgery last year.

I was thinking about using it in my local league.  However, this league tends to be overly officious with rules.  Well, that's not quite right - some clubs tend to complain about infringements whenever it could lead to antagonising a rival club, or gaining an advantage over them.  To avoid any potential problems, I thought I would ask you all here what your opinion of using the blade is, and how it fits in with the Laws of the game.

Here is the blade:

Now, I'm concerned about two things initially.  First is the following law:

2.04.04The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material.

How would this apply to the Pistol grip?  The grip itself is a large part of the blade, but you can see from the pictures that there can be a section of wood exposed due to the blade shape itself.  You can probably guess that the pictures show a recycled rubber from a regular-shape blade face, so I could use a fresh sheet to cover slightly more blade if necessary.  But what do you think?

Secondly, the rubber itself.  If "recycled" rubbers are used, most of the logos on the rubber have to be cut out to make way for the finger holes.  So, I suppose there's no way for the opponent to know (by looking) what the rubbers are.  I would tell them, of course.  But still, do the logos have to be present?  Again, using fresh sheets could make this easier because I could potentially leave the majority of the logos untouched on a different section of blade.  However, wouldn't that constitute an uneven playing surface?

There may be many other things to take note of.  Any advice or potential pitfalls are welcome!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 4:46pm
I believe the stamp at the bottom of the rubber has to be visible.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

Thanks. How much of the stamp? All of it? Just the ittf stuff?
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 6:21pm
perhaps you can rotate a new rubber in a way where the logos would be visible off to one of the sides?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 12:48am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Thanks. How much of the stamp? All of it? Just the ittf stuff?
I think ITTF logo must be there. Not sure about the name of the rubber. Here is picture of how this guy did it...

Good luck

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 3:19am
Excellent.  Will have to go with positioning the logos at the bottom edge of the blade.  Will need fresh sheets to do that.

The thread on the french site looks excellent.  Google translate is a bit flakey though.

I found a good thread on OOAK as well:

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 11:33am
How about making photocopies of your rubber sheet an then try to position the paper so that the ITTF logo is visible. 

I think you should try to position the logs near the handle. I would think you might want to hit the ball on the lower portion of the blade. Unless you want to hit with all that writing and create some weird spins.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 11:45am
LEGAL!!
You can use just about anything made of wood as long as it has 2 different colored sides. As far as the rubber . . . what I sent you was probably not a legal configuration. You need enough of the logo showing to indicate the ITTF approval, manufacturer, etc. As mentioned above . . . you'll have to find a creative way to twist the rubber in a way that covers and shows label. 

You can do it!!! Don't let "the man" keep you down. Shoot 'em dead with that pistol!

Edited by tommyzai - 03/05/2012 at 11:48am
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 5:41pm
Ok, so this is what I arrived at.  You can see all of the logos and markings on this sheet of CJ8000. 

I may have to have a think about sheets which have the new square ITTF logo.  Might be a tight fit!

Thanks for all the help.  It's strange, but I'm actually playing well with this...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 5:44pm
LEGAL!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

LEGAL!

Boom!

If I get any funny looks, I'll tell them to send their questions to you, and you can blow their faces off!

Edited by AndySmith - 03/05/2012 at 6:11pm
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 8:19pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is an illegal inverted rubber in existence as long as it is within 4mm thickness. The illegal sheets are certain types of pips.

If this is the case, do you really have to have ittf marking on your inverted sheets?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is an illegal inverted rubber in existence as long as it is within 4mm thickness. The illegal sheets are certain types of pips.

Ok, I'll correct you Big smile A sheet is only legal if it's on current the ITTF approval list, and even then it still needs to abide by all the other rules, such as thickness, colour, it displays the logo, no significant damage, no treament, etc These same rules go for pips. A new sheet in a packet can change from legal to illegal overnight, if the ITTF decide it's illegal, even though your sheet has not changed. I remember one sheets became illegal overnight because the manufacturer did not pay the ITTF fees. Ouch

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 9:40pm
What are some illegal inverted rubbers? Can they even be purchased?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 10:15pm
There are lot of illegal rubbers still around, but obviously there is little incentive for retailers to carry them, since they can get legal rubbers at the same price. So most of the ones sold are old stock, and a reputable retailer would indicate that they're not ITTF approved. I've still got some Se7en rubbers which are perfectly fine, but were removed from the ITTF list because the company folded and did not pay ITTF fees.

Dawei 388A-2 is another that comes to mind, which was removed from the list, but is still sold at retailers. I used to love this rubber (the Sprungfeder version) but I had to stop using it coz it was removed from the list.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
hammad.dp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammad.dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 1:13pm
must check this picture u will b able to knw how it could be legal
http://www.tennis-de-table.com/forums/sujet-31199-2.html
hammad.dp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammad.dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 1:14pm
http://www.tennis-de-table.com/forums/sujet-31199-2.html
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 3:01pm

+1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

Ok, I'll correct you Big smile A sheet is only legal if it's on current the ITTF approval list, and even then it still needs to abide by all the other rules, such as thickness, colour, it displays the logo, no significant damage, no treament, etc These same rules go for pips. A new sheet in a packet can change from legal to illegal overnight, if the ITTF decide it's illegal, even though your sheet has not changed. I remember one sheets became illegal overnight because the manufacturer did not pay the ITTF fees. Ouch

+1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic