Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is YEO head-heavy, or balanced?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is YEO head-heavy, or balanced?
    Posted: 05/18/2012 at 4:21am
Is the Yasaka Ma Line Extra Offensive blade considered a "head-heavy" blade, or just more of a balanced blade?  

Recently I acquired an 84g ANatomic Extra Offensive.  I thought it would be somewhat head-heavy.  With Gambler Outlaw max and Palio Thors max on it, the balance point on the blade is still just somewhere around where my index finger lies on the back of the blade (I'm a shakehand player).  I would consider that slightly more balanced than head heavy.  A head-heavy blade I consider to be one where the balance point is slightly in front of the index finger on the blade-face -- more towards the middle of the blade face, if you will. 

I also have a Yasaka Sweden Classic AN that is 86g which feels far more head-heavy than my Yasaka Extra Offensive.  The shapes of the two blades are identical, but the weight is clearly more head-heavy in the Sweden Classic, though it is only marginally a heavier blade.  

Perhaps my question should be:  "Does an increase in blade weight correlate linearly with an increase in blade 'head-heaviness'?"
Sponsored Links

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 4:41am
The answer to your question is obviously not.  For some reason, it seems like a lot of Euro companies just love the friggin WRB design, which I really hate.  Now, it seems like most blades these days have some sort of WRB design, but some types really overdo it.  Obviously, an extensively hollowed out handle would make a blade head-heavier.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 6:27am
You have answered your own question.  It depends.  Blade weight is just one among the many variables that have an effect on the balance.  The head size of the blade together with the type of rubbers you've paired it up with is a big factor.  The type of handle and how that makes you grip, like deep or shallow, is another.  The form of your swing also dictates the weight you perceive.

Blade weight serves as a rough indication of the weight distribution of the entire blade at the balance point.  What matters is how and where that weight is distributed.  Most if not all popular blades by Stiga, Yasaka, Butterfly, Nittaku have their handles hollowed out in some form or another for valid technical reasons, with Stiga being the most aggressive.  All in all, lighter blades give more room for rubber choice but tend to be more sensitive to changes in balance.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 9:59am
dont know about correlation of weight to being head heavy but to answer the original question, i have 2 YEO 1 is 83 grams and the other is 85 grams both are fitted with Tenergy and H3 which i think are heavy rubbers but both YEO are well balanced IMHO
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 10:39am
you have 2 YEOs but you're playing with a Clipper. What's wrong with the YEO?
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

dont know about correlation of weight to being head heavy but to answer the original question, i have 2 YEO 1 is 83 grams and the other is 85 grams both are fitted with Tenergy and H3 which i think are heavy rubbers but both YEO are well balanced IMHO

mikepong,  when you say "well-balanced" do you mean - 'not too head-heavy'?  I tend to prefer head-heavy blades (I've enjoyed playing with WRB and other hollowed out handled blades), blades where the mass seems to feel in front of the hand.  I like the feeling of tension in the wrist that it produces during strokes.  It really gives the sense of "whipping" the hand/blade like a frisbee, and I feel produces better technique (anyone concur?). 
      Anyway, just wondering what you meant by "well-balanced" and if the heavier blade felt a bit more head-heavy (even if just marginally).
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

you have 2 YEOs but you're playing with a Clipper. What's wrong with the YEO?

nope nothing wrong, just part of my ej collection in the past, i heard many positive things about it and want to give it a try, and for me its still the best 5 ply blade post speed glue era, of course its just my opinion though and im not a high level player, clipper is one of my oldest blade, i had it back in the early 90's, also i prefer a more solid and heavier set up hence back to clipper, BTW i sold the 83 grams YEO already
Viscaria

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

mikepong,  when you say "well-balanced" do you mean - 'not too head-heavy'?  I tend to prefer head-heavy blades (I've enjoyed playing with WRB and other hollowed out handled blades), blades where the mass seems to feel in front of the hand.  I like the feeling of tension in the wrist that it produces during strokes.  It really gives the sense of "whipping" the hand/blade like a frisbee, and I feel produces better technique (anyone concur?). 
      Anyway, just wondering what you meant by "well-balanced" and if the heavier blade felt a bit more head-heavy (even if just marginally).

IMHO it goes without saying that you really cant get a blade that has equal weight distribution if you put 2 heavy rubbers unless you counteract the weight on the handle so i guess for me a little head heavy is acceptable as well balanced, just my opinion though
Viscaria

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2012 at 11:32am
I like balanced blades. Odd thing is with OC CR, I find that WRB feels more natural. While for other blades, I like non hollowed handle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic