Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black vs Red Hybrid Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black vs Red Hybrid Rubbers
    Posted: 07/28/2021 at 6:33pm
Hello, I am considering replacing a red rubber on one of my blades with either the Nittaku Sieger PK50 or the Yasaka Rakza Z, but I was just wondering whether the red versions of those rubbers’ topsheets are as tacky/grippy as the black versions.
I have heard great things about the level of grip those rubbers have and would be disappointed if I pick an inferior product.

Tacky Chinese rubbers are said to be tackier in black, perhaps to do with a dyeing process, perhaps to do with red rubbers being left in storage for years due to a lack of demand for them. I was wondering if there is any difference at all in half-tacky hybrid ESN rubbers like these two. 

The rubber on the other side is a black (backhand) Nittaku Fastarc G1, if anyone is interested. Thanks very much for any help that can be provided Smile
Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki (J-pen)
Fh: Nittaku Fastarc G1 (Red, 2.0mm)
Sponsored Links

GrayGhost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2021 at 8:43pm
I'm not sure about the PK50 but I do have Rakza Z in red and black - both seem identical in tackiness.
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2021 at 12:07am
The idea that red and black versions of the same tacky rubber are different is a bit outdated. This used to be the case, especially in the 80s when black rubber became more popular. I have used Hurricane 3 in both red and black and there does not seem to be a difference (to me). Some cheap Chinese style rubbers may still have this issue, though. If you're buying a hybrid rubber (many of which are ESN), there shouldn't be a difference between red and black. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

The idea that red and black versions of the same tacky rubber are different is a bit outdated. This used to be the case, especially in the 80s when black rubber became more popular. I have used Hurricane 3 in both red and black and there does not seem to be a difference (to me). Some cheap Chinese style rubbers may still have this issue, though. If you're buying a hybrid rubber (many of which are ESN), there shouldn't be a difference between red and black. 

I believe it to still be true in most Chinese offerings
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2021 at 2:38pm
That's quite possible, you definitely have a lot more experience with Chinese rubbers from various manufacturers than I do. Some of the rubbers (especially cheaper) may not have changed much from how they were in the past.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2021 at 9:58pm
I bought a 729 Battle II red rubber before, and it was definitely not as sticky as the black ones. It was very likely in stock for a very long time. I would buy black chinese sticky rubbers from now on. 

The new hybrid rubbers that just came out might not have this problem.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2021 at 12:09am
I would definitely pick the black one if you want tacky. In my experience the hybrids are also tackier in black compared to red. I found this to be the case for my most recent rubbers Dignics 09C and Rakza Z, I've not tried the Sieger PK50.

Edited by haggisv - 07/30/2021 at 12:11am
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2021 at 5:18am
RUBBER MAKER ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.

A)   Because of the bigger input of raw rubber materials (better spring power), RED rubbers would produce more speed in strokes, as against the BLACK, while the tackiness not affected at all.

Edited by igorponger - 07/31/2021 at 4:03am
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2021 at 5:23am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

while the tackiness not affected at all.

Well, we know that's definitely not true for some rubbers...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2021 at 9:39am
There are a LOT of variables when you compare rubbers. Particularly chinese rubbers that may have less quality control. I suspect the "lot" of the rubber, the time it was made, the length it has set on a shelf (particularly if not vacuum packed), local weather, the number of cats you own and maybe the phase of the moon can or could affect tackiness. I do find euro/jap rubbers to have less variation as a general rule. 
The red vs black dogma also applies to the LP community with LP blockers being more red centric (presumed harder with more reversal) and LP choppers being more black centric due to presumed better grip (rather than true tackiness)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2021 at 2:45am
even the hurricane 3 37 degrees black is still more tacky than red. That is why i use the red one as. A backhand rubber because it is not too tacky. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2021 at 4:01am
Having switched to double Chinese when Ma Long made the switch, I definitely agree that black is tackier than red.

Given the 4 sheets of "top" current rubbers I've tried (with LJK using red as forehand, thought I'd hop on that hype train too), my experiences so far tell me to stick (pun intended) to Black on the FH as the tackier side.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic