Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Club Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club Match
    Posted: 02/20/2013 at 2:00pm
Hi guys!

This is a video of me and one of my club friends playing last night, I wonder if you could give me some tips on how to improve my game.

Also I'd like to know which do you guys think would be my USA ratings!

Im the one with the Red Boll shirt, this is the first time we record a game the nerves are shown on many mistakes hahahahahahaa

Thanks guys!

Nittaku Acoustic St.
FH: BTY Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1

Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 2:42pm
Don't stay on you heels, stay on balls of your feet - try to move forward on contact. Also, I would advise to watch the Brian Pace video on timing the strokes.

Funny you appear to be higher level player than I am - yet I am giving you advice - actually I am just telling you the stuff I don't do!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Don't stay on you heels, stay on balls of your feet - try to move forward on contact. Also, I would advise to watch the Brian Pace video on timing the strokes.

Funny you appear to be higher level player than I am - yet I am giving you advice - actually I am just telling you the stuff I don't do!

Players usually have a higher lever than their coach, knowledge and game play are two different aspects of the game! 

Thank you very much for your comment I'll appreciate it jrscatman !
Nittaku Acoustic St.

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 4:21pm
In a America you'll be rated a "pro" :) LOL
Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 6:58pm
Hahahahah i mean the USATT rating haha the 1,500, 2,000 etc hahaha I have always wonder which level I am!
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

In a America you'll be rated a "pro" :) LOL
Nittaku Acoustic St.

cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 7:11pm
I'd say about 1700
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

I'd say about 1700
We've already proven from those guess the rating threads how hard it is to guess.  Still, I'd say 1700 is way low.  His serves, strokes, service return and footwork are a heck of a lot better than any 1700 players I've seen, including Nationals and the Baltimore Teams.  1900? 2000? Hard to guess without seeing other videos.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

I'd say about 1700
We've already proven from those guess the rating threads how hard it is to guess.  Still, I'd say 1700 is way low.  His serves, strokes, service return and footwork are a heck of a lot better than any 1700 players I've seen, including Nationals and the Baltimore Teams.  1900? 2000? Hard to guess without seeing other videos.

Any 1900+ I know would have a field day with those soft blocks and counters...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 12:21am
I wanted to say solid 1800 because a 1900/2000 player will attack those quite high serves, be better at the short game and block those loops consistently so if you get a win against a player your style who is 1900-2000 it will be 1 out of 5 or 6 matches, if that; more rarely in a rated tourney for sure.
Solid 1800 player means average club player who knows all strokes, read all spins but does not play enough to be super consistent and so will do many mistakes that he will avoid with more training (playing at least 3 times a week). Often such a player will have easy to return serves (no surprise effect), unsafe return of serves (90% of pushes are too long), 3rd ball attack that can be really good or missed (50/50), ok blocks, nice smashes, poor defense away from the table and mad at himself when missing lol.
HEY I described by own game pretty well here Big smile. Do you recognize yourself in the description?

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:31am
Hmmm... I don't know.  I did say judging from a single video is notoriously inaccurate.  Still, there's no way they're under 1700.  The strokes are fundamentally sound, and I could show you a long list of players up to 1900 with bad fundaments.  Their footwork isn't great but they do move and they usually keep their balance, which puts them ahead of most players under 1800.  I got the feeling that a certain amount of what they did was because they were so familiar with each other's style.  Why work too hard on your serves when the other guy knows them so well anyway?

You have more respect for the 1900 players than I do.  I think you need to look at 2050+ to see more reliable technique.  So I'll go with 1850-1900 for these guys.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:41am
Cool video but all too nice, get stuck in man, I think you have potential to play alot harder
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
tomkat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2013 at 2:49pm
1700-1900. Shouldn't you be on the baseball diamond? Dozens and dozens of great baseball players have come from the Dominican Republic. 
Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I wanted to say solid 1800 because a 1900/2000 player will attack those quite high serves, be better at the short game and block those loops consistently so if you get a win against a player your style who is 1900-2000 it will be 1 out of 5 or 6 matches, if that; more rarely in a rated tourney for sure.
Solid 1800 player means average club player who knows all strokes, read all spins but does not play enough to be super consistent and so will do many mistakes that he will avoid with more training (playing at least 3 times a week). Often such a player will have easy to return serves (no surprise effect), unsafe return of serves (90% of pushes are too long), 3rd ball attack that can be really good or missed (50/50), ok blocks, nice smashes, poor defense away from the table and mad at himself when missing lol.
HEY I described by own game pretty well here Big smile. Do you recognize yourself in the description?

Some parts of the descriptions I have to admit i recognize myself, I have to push myself in training I'm back playing after a 2 year break, I used to train everyday from monday to saturday, this days I only get to play and no training at all.

Edited by Piri - 02/23/2013 at 12:25pm
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by tomkat22 tomkat22 wrote:

1700-1900. Shouldn't you be on the baseball diamond? Dozens and dozens of great baseball players have come from the Dominican Republic. 

Yeah, actually I think we are the country who exports the biggest number of major league baseball, hopefully it will be shown in the upcoming baseball classic! (not like the last 2 tournaments hahaha)
Nittaku Acoustic St.

LoopsALot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopsALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2013 at 1:02pm
I'd say 1639
729 6030L $18
DHS TG3 NEO $17
Gambler Outlaw $14
USATT 1640
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2013 at 8:03am
Not gunna get into the rating by video thing at this point. 

I can say two things that will immensly improve your playing and forum level if you execute them.

1. Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

2. Continue to wear cool-looking proper TT clothing and make moar vids for the forum.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2013 at 8:13am

Why work too hard on your serves when the other guy knows them so well anyway?

I was actually gonna comment on the serves...sometimes it feels as if you are serving just for the heck of serving cause as benfb said, you know each other's serves so well anyway...

But I think that you still should give it your all when serving, even if the player knows it too well already. You MIGHT carry that relaxed habit even against others subconsciously. Besides, every serve is an opportunity to practice your serves. Try a little variation, etc etc. Just my two cents :)
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Not gunna get into the rating by video thing at this point. 

I can say two things that will immensly improve your playing and forum level if you execute them.

1. Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

2. Continue to wear cool-looking proper TT clothing and make moar vids for the forum.

Awesome advice, specially number 2 hahahahahahahahah
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Piri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

Why work too hard on your serves when the other guy knows them so well anyway?

I was actually gonna comment on the serves...sometimes it feels as if you are serving just for the heck of serving cause as benfb said, you know each other's serves so well anyway...

But I think that you still should give it your all when serving, even if the player knows it too well already. You MIGHT carry that relaxed habit even against others subconsciously. Besides, every serve is an opportunity to practice your serves. Try a little variation, etc etc. Just my two cents :)

This is something I need to work on, even tough he knows my services and all, I have a tendency to leave long and high serves which he attacks and wins a lot of points.
Nittaku Acoustic St.

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 1:12am
Btw, nice round play from both of you. I think you're both better than I am. 

What I would suggest is to try and convert more of those balls into winners. Maybe do some third ball drills where you both take turns serving as best as you can, and trying to convert them into winners.

Also try and hit the ball closer to your bodies. I've been told by a lot of people at my local club that I need to wait longer before hitting the ball to avoid reaching.

Good luck!

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise this thread was 2 years old. Hopefully my advice will still help others who may have a similar game to the OP.

Edited by mickd - 07/17/2015 at 1:14am
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2015 at 9:17am
Planning a trip to Puerto Plata, (city) is there lots of clubs, will spend about a month at least
sharkcard
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:36am

Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

Sorry, I completely disagree, it is good to strike the ball well in front of the body on both wings, I constantly coach it.
The Older I get, The better I was.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:42am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

Sorry, I completely disagree, it is good to strike the ball well in front of the body on both wings, I constantly coach it.
When hitting in front of the body - is there grip modification from the standard grips taught in TT?
Butterfly MPS
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 3:58am

Thumbs Up You + every competent coach. It's a basic for advanced play.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 8:46am

When hitting in front of the body - is there grip modification from the standard grips taught in TT?

Yes you always want to catch the ball in front of your body especially on fh. If you contact the ball to the side of the body you are losing so much quality in your shot because you are likely getting the ball on its decline, not getting a full swing and giving your opponent much more time. You are also losing a lot of control by contacting to the side of the body.  This is just proper technique so of course there is no grip modification necessary. 

Edited by Tk5 - 07/18/2015 at 9:13am
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 9:10am
It is really hard to guess the ratings based on a video because you can't really tell the quality of their shots. However, if I were to take a guess I would say they most resemble players at the 1700-1800 level.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Tk5 Tk5 wrote:

Yes you always want to catch the ball in front of your body especially on fh. If you contact the ball to the side of the body you are losing so much quality in your shot because you are likely getting the ball on its decline, not getting a full swing and giving your opponent much more time. You are also losing a lot of control by contacting to the side of the body.  This is just proper technique so of course there is no grip modification necessary. 

Yes, exactly right.Smile
The Older I get, The better I was.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:03pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile
Then wrist needs to be cocked back on the FH. In the video OP, has traditional grip with straight wrist. In this case, he can only hit comfortably on his side. To make contact in front of him, I think he would have to lay his wrist back or use a different forehand specific grip. Unless there is another way to do this I'm missing.
Grip can limit/expand the versatility in a stroke, but does not affect the striking point of the ball in relation to the body to such a degree that a player can't use his wrist. 
The wrist flexes through 360 degrees and this allows a smooth action through the plain of many variations in the f/hand stroke. You don't always have to follow the top Chinese to get the best out of what you are capable of.
Butterfly MPS
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:09pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile
Then wrist needs to be cocked back on the FH. In the video OP, has traditional grip with straight wrist. In this case, he can only hit comfortably on his side. To make contact in front of him, I think he would have to lay his wrist back or use a different forehand specific grip. Unless there is another way to do this I'm missing.

BHman was telling the OP to not hit in front of the body. Not exactly sure what you mean. I don't see a problem with his grip.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:20pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile

BHman was telling the OP to not hit in front of the body. Not exactly sure what you mean. I don't see a problem with his grip.
I am suggesting in order to hit in front of his body - grip and wrist position needs to be changed. If you keep a straight wrist on FH, you can only hit the ball comfortably on the side of the body. 
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic