FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Comment about my technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mirchev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirchev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comment about my technique
    Posted: 03/03/2018 at 2:14pm
Smile Dear players, I am asking you for your wise counsel and comments about my play. I have 387 hours of training and 373 hours of play. The video is fresh from the Bulgarian national competition. I moved from position 77 in the national ranglist to 33 due to favourable setting of the players.  I am the man with the orange shirt:

https://youtu.be/IPv5KITCeM4

Sponsored Links

t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 3:11pm
you movements are very short and without spark therefore no-spin or small-spin,
you footwork need to be improved.
Goodluck
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 4:21pm
Congrats on your improvement. You might consider serving short and lower to the net once in a while.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 4:22pm
Well the short movements were because I don't think you are real comfortable playing against heavier top spin.

Just find those kids who spin the crap out of the ball and work with them. I'm doing the same thing.

I liked the returns.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 6:10pm
I think you should test some serves against the opponent and then stick with what works best. It looks like you were consistently serving what worked worst.
Moreover still, you had a serve that worked well, you did it once and then never did it again (short reverse pendulum to forehand).
You lost because of the worst strategy I think.

His backhand return was good and you served so many serves there with either no spin or reverse pendulum which makes his return even stronger. It is not a weakness so why serve like that? to lose?

My feedback is to practice a short backspin serve and if you can't find any glaring weakness in the opponents serve return, serve only that. Even with not too much backspin, just short, a player like the one you played won't be flicking it with quality, probably get too much into the table and you play the next ball long. Some serves players at this level can't return consistently at all, and the best is probably variable backspin short. You could have killed that guy! :)

Strategy is what wins also at higher levels

Edited by Lightzy - 03/03/2018 at 6:12pm
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 10:33pm
I'm very confused by the serving from both you and your opponent. Not only were there too many long serves, there were far too many high serves. Even some of the short ones were high. I could see serving long if the receiver was having trouble with them, but that didn't seem to be the case (goes for both of you).
I find serving to be the easiest thing to practice - all you need is a bucket of balls, a table and a scoop. I think you can make significant improvements just by working on the serves.
I'll leave the technique comments to someone more knowledgeable than myself.
Mirchev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirchev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2018 at 12:52am
Thank you for your comments, people! I have played a lot in the park on iron long tables in the open air. These tables have higher nets, the nets are not see-through and the tables are at least 40 cm longer that the standard tables elsewhere. I was used to more powerful strokes, because the metal table eats the spin and slides the ball. So I stopped playing in the park a few months ago and I am adjusting to the standard wooden tables. This is the explanation for the higher and longer serves. I am learning to relax my hand more while serving and playing, and I am trying to serve short. 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2018 at 8:54am
For the amount of time you have played, you seem to be trying really hard and likely are at a good place. How many years have you been competing For? I can't convert the training hours into how I usually think of TT.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Mirchev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirchev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2018 at 9:16am
Since June 2012 approximately two-three hours a week. I have many videos of the various stages of my development. And I became a member of a team in our third (lowest ) division in October 2014.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Mirchev Mirchev wrote:

Since June 2012 approximately two-three hours a week. I have many videos of the various stages of my development. And I became a member of a team in our third (lowest ) division in October 2014.

That makes sense now. The amount of time you play every week is too low so your level is quite respectable given your age etc. Most people who want to improve have to play closer to 8 or 10 hours a week at the lower end or maybe get good individual coaching for an hour and religiously implement the coaching for 3 to 5 hours. But at some point even such pllayers face diminishing returns and have to up the hours.

For your actual game, your form is decent but you don't seem to put a lot of spin on the ball. If you can understand what goes into spin generation then your fame should improve fast. Maybe work on your basic backspin serve until it becomes very heavy. The lesson from generating spin there can be carried into other table tennis strokes if you are willing to think through it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Mirchev View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirchev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2018 at 9:25am
Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic