Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

FH Forward (Chinese) Loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tenergy25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenergy25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FH Forward (Chinese) Loop
    Posted: 03/13/2010 at 12:36pm

Forehand foreward Loop (off of no spin or top spin) Guide (From the Chinese National Team)

This is a stroke that can't be seen on video to determine how to do. However, if you understand how to do the stroke, the video will make much more sense to you. The reason being that players are very quick and the video can't catch the right moment. If you get this stroke right, I gaurantee your looping lvl will go at least 2 notches higher.

Basics

-Be sure you are loose and relaxed. Not only your shoulder and wrist should be loose, but also your torso.

-Use your waist. This does not mean your shoulders. Many people use their upper body instead of their lower abdomins. Try and think of shifting your weight from one leg to the other while twisting your waist.

-When you do the stroke, wind back, this includes your waist and your forearm. Use your waist to bring your big arm back and bring back only your forearm, not your big arm.

-Accelerate to the ball while keeping loose. When you make contact with the ball, your muscles should be a little more tight. The moment after you hit the ball as your following through, you should be loose again.

-Make sure your body moves with the arm

Those were the basics, here are some things that I have learned from Top Chinese coaches.

-If you watch a player like Wang Liqin, you can see him using his whole arm when they forehand loop. Many coaches tell you that you should only snap your forearm. This was the old way of looping. If you tell them to loop with their whole arm, they will continue to say its wrong. However, this is the new technique and i ensure you it is not only more powerful, but more accurate.

-When using the whole arm, you still have to snap your forearm, but you also use your big arm.

-It is very important to hit the ball into the foam of the rubber. Not the rubber sheet nor so deep it reaches into the blade. When you make contact with the ball, your paddle should be 80-90 degrees (Perpendicular to the ground). If the ball goes off the table, DO NOT solve the problem by closing your paddle on contact. Instead keep it at 80-90 degrees and follow through more foreward or down, however you choose after hitting the ball. This is one quick motion and remember keep loose. If it goes into the net, follow through up more. REMEMBER JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOULD NOT CLOSE THE PADDLE ON CONTACT DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD NOT CLOSE IT AFTER YOU HIT IT. WHAT I MEAN BY THIS IS AS SOON AS THE BALL TOUCHES THE RUBBER, YOU CAN CLOSE THE PADDLE TO KEEP THE PADDLE QUICK BUT INTO THE FOAM OF THE RUBBER.

-Turn your wrist when the ball makes contact with the rubber as to keep it in the foam. You do not have to turn it a whole lot, but just to give the ball some "encouragement". The usage of wrist varries from situation to situation.

-Also remember: when you wind back to prepare for the stroke, the paddle should start at the ball's current height.

-When looping more away from the ball, your opposite foot of your paddle arm should be parralel to the back of the table. (if your right-handed it your left foot and visa versa)

-If it seems unaccurate, make sure you are making contact with the ball at 80-90 degrees and into the foam.

-Because you are using your whole arm to loop, you can follow through as much as you want. What i mean by this, is that lots of coaches in North America say you should follow through to your nose. This again, is the old style of looping with just snapping the forearm.

-Do not be afraid that the ball will go off the end of the table, you can accelerate as fast as you want as long as you direct the ball in the follow through while keeping it in the foam.

-Also remember, when you are looping closer to the table, you don't use your big arm as much, but you still do to add some power.

-When practicing, sometimes when you don't get it, rember that the paddle has to be perpindicular to the ground. Sometimes it may feel like your doing it, but your actually not. To resolve this, try slowing down and make sure you hit the ball into the foam.

-One of the principles is that when the ball is in the foam, you can control it as it "sticks" to your rubber as you turn your wrist. The longer it stays, the more control you have.

-When Looping this way, you use the whole arm. However, you don't always use it completely. When you are close to the table, you may use half effort of the big arm. As you are more away from the table you should now fully use the big arm. As you get more advanced, you can use more usage of the big arm when closer to the table. You can start by using a little bit of your big arm when looping. And as you get more "feeling" for the ball, you can start to put a little more big arm power in.

Wink

Sponsored Links

bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2010 at 1:14pm
assuming you wanted to post a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppw7NT9g1w
tenergy25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenergy25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2010 at 1:22pm

1. assuming you wanted to post a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppw7NT9g1w
      thank
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 4:24am
If you're gonna cut and paste someones guide, please at least give them the credit.  Guide was written by user "MaLin" at DTTW.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Mannntas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannntas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 6:01am
Looping with 80\90 degrees angle to the floor??? Well, in the slow motion of Wang Liqin video, I can clearly see that it is closed at least 70-60 degrees. Am I wrong?
Bh: Hexer
Fh: Hexer
All - round blade.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 6:02am
WLQ doesn't contact the ball at 80-90degrees there...more like 45...
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
cousinkenni View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Mannntas Mannntas wrote:

Looping with 80\90 degrees angle to the floor??? Well, in the slow motion of Wang Liqin video, I can clearly see that it is closed at least 70-60 degrees. Am I wrong?

Thank you!!!!!

Finally someone put an end to this nonsense!!!!  Every Chinese Player contacts the ball with CLOSED racket angle..........both topspin and underspin.  When they contact underspin the racket angle is somewhere in the 65-55 degree area whereas when they contact topspin the racket is more like 45 degrees.....sorry, but when the guide posted by the OP says hit it at 80-90 degees, it is just wrong.......hitting the ball with chinese rubber with an open bat (80-90 degrees) just doesn't happen.  THIS MUST BE A TRANSLATION THING.  Either that or a "tool" to try to get people to understand the feeling of the ball sinking in the sponge.

Not saying that everything in the guide is wrong, but this one aspect definitely is.  The guide is correct that you need to use the sponge and get the ball to sink in, and you need to use a "foward" stroke like others on this forum say..........that is if you are trying to do a "drive" kind of stroke.

However, you can also do a "spin" stroke with chinese rubber.  In this stroke, the blade is more open and you don't use the sponge AS MUCH.  This stroke is more upward and brushes the ball more.  It seems as though it is only used occasionally...... against heavy underspin (say against a chop from JSH) or to open up a third ball attack when players are not in position to do a full underspin drive.  This spinny loop is not used as much by the newer players (Ma Long and company) because the newer players are trying to attack all the time (also not to say that the newer players never use it, because they do......just not very often), but it was used slightly more often by players such as WLQ, and used even more by KLH.

Sorry for the long post, but people deserve the truth....once again not saying the guide is completely wrong....maybe the 80-90 degree thing is a training tool for players new to the technique.  Or maybe they are talking about the basic counter stroke.....because there the bat is more "flat" or open......or maybe the guide is referring to a counter drive, there also the bat is more flat......but not on a loop or a loop drive.
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 7:19pm
LOL we went through this already.  This is exactly why you don't learn from videos because you can't see the context of what situation/stroke he's using trying to compare to the guide.  The guide you read was a basic loop off of no spin/minor topspin which IS correctly using 80-90 degrees and using the sponge dwell time/tackyness to create the loop.  He has another guide for counterloops which is around 60/45 degrees depending on the amount of topspin. 

In the video... WLQ is counterlooping off of topspin hence the 60/45 degree angle.  Read his other guides before you claim he's wrong.  Also talk to other coaches who teach the stroke... he's definately correct.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 7:58pm
Here is a detail I haven't seen answered regarding the chinese loop against low-spin - how much should the racket close?  I know it depends on 'feeling' but whats an approximate range - from 80 degrees to 60 degrees?  80 to 70?  Very grateful for anyones input here.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

LOL we went through this already.  This is exactly why you don't learn from videos because you can't see the context of what situation/stroke he's using trying to compare to the guide.  The guide you read was a basic loop off of no spin/minor topspin which IS correctly using 80-90 degrees and using the sponge dwell time/tackyness to create the loop.  He has another guide for counterloops which is around 60/45 degrees depending on the amount of topspin. 

In the video... WLQ is counterlooping off of topspin hence the 60/45 degree angle.  Read his other guides before you claim he's wrong.  Also talk to other coaches who teach the stroke... he's definately correct.

See, I disagree....no spin, low top spin, backspin......doesn't matter.  If you are trying to loop drive, the blade is never at 80-90 degrees.  Not to say there isn't a stoke that doesn't use this angle, but not a loop drive.  Counter, counter drive, smash.......sure those use a more open racket, but not a loop....I would even be hard pressed to say that a counter/counter drive uses a blade that open.....Find a photo or video with good slow mo that proves this wrong.....I dare you.  Unless you are calling a basic loop something other than I call a basic loop....this is wrong.  If you want I will post photos of WLQ basic loop against block to show you.

There are plenty of frame by frame photos in takkyo okoku for all players that show this.  They tell you exactly what type of stroke it is and what type of ball.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 9:14pm
Here is my evidence?  These are photos from World table tennis magazine from a while back.    If you look at the WLQ double fish video then you can clearly see that his blade is closed upon contact against underspin and for that matter you can see that it is closed against a topspin drive also.  I will present below two other scenarios.  If I am misunderstanding what stroke you mean, please illuminate.

WLQ forehand (basic forehand counter against a forehand counter):

WLQ foredrive (loop against block):

So clearly in these two scenarios and the other two mentioned above the bat is closed.....not fully closed but nowhere near 90 degrees....so what stroke are you talking about???
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 9:36pm
Maybe the guide is saying that you should learn the stroke in the open position (so you develop the strongly forward to create topspin)?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:09pm
Looks like a fh vs topspin that those pictures.  also notice the height of the ball and the distance he is from the table.  Even my blade angle is like when i get those balls.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:15pm

Those doublefish videos are super super old still using the old techniques probably still on the 38mm ball.  It even shows LGL with his chicken wing stroke.  Your pic hes not even close to the table.  Stop looking at pics and actually go try it before you say its wrong.

And Icon, you're right... part of learning the 80-90 degree technique is to teach you proper sponge control and how to "wrap" the ball with your wrist.  By hitting into the ball and wrapping around it, the tack/sponge will create the topspin.  It sounds like it makes no sense because thats what I thought in the beginning too when my coach was telling me this technique... how can hitting into a ball at 80-90 degrees forward create a loop?... but if you go try it... it works.  Then after when you put everything together from fingers/wrist/big arm/small arm/waist/legs, you can MASSIVE amount of spin and power with almost no effort.

Mostly the people who spent time training in China learn this stroke.  Its basically almost one universal stroke for everything now just with little minor differences depending on what type of balls coming at you.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:23pm

Those doublefish videos are super super old still using the old techniques probably still on the 38mm ball.  It even shows LGL with his chicken wing stroke.  Your pic hes not even close to the table.  Stop looking at pics and actually go try it before you say its wrong.

And Icon, you're right... part of learning the 80-90 degree technique is to teach you proper sponge control and how to "wrap" the ball with your wrist.  By hitting into the ball and wrapping around it, the tack/sponge will create the topspin.  It sounds like it makes no sense because thats what I thought in the beginning too when my coach was telling me this technique... how can hitting into a ball at 80-90 degrees forward create a loop?... but if you go try it... it works.  Then after when you put everything together from fingers/wrist/big arm/small arm/waist/legs, you can MASSIVE amount of spin and power with almost no effort.

Mostly the people who spent time training in China learn this stroke.  Its basically almost one universal stroke for everything now just with little minor differences depending on what type of balls coming at you.

So hence my question to you......what type of ball is this guide/stroke for???? when would you actually use it???  dead ball over the table???
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:26pm

Like I said in the earlier post... no spin to low/mid amount of topspin ball close to the table.  It even says that in the guide.  The stroke you're displaying in the pictures are the counterloop stroke.  Go read the counterloop guide the same author user "MaLin" wrote at DTTW.  You'll see it matches your pictures and the video.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:27pm
One more thing.......show me a situation that you are talking about, you still haven't given any photo/video that shows your contention clearly.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:33pm
sorry....didn't wait to see your above post.  Where in the guide does it say this (it says "off of no spin or topspin")....to me this guide is about a basic loop....exactly what I posted in the second set of photos.....WLQ's basic loop against block......the stroke they use to warm up.  Is the guide not describing a basic loop stroke against a block?  Because that is what I am reading from it.
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 10:34pm

Seriously, I'm not gonna go hunting down a slow motion video just to prove that it's correct to you.  I already know it's correct because my coach as well as the other people who have trained in the stroke use it and they've trained in China.  You either are open minded and you go try it or you don't.  It's that simple.  But I'll tell you now, the author of that guide is really correct when he says once you get it and it makes sense, your looping will instantly increase a few levels.

Even if I showed you a picture, it still wouldn't make sense to you.  Table Tennis is a game of feel.  You won't understand until you do it and your head puzzles everything together.  It's like if I gave you a picture of a WLQ kill shot you still won't be able to do it.  A picture is just a picture.  You need to actually feel and remember it in muscle memory performing the shot.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:03pm
Rack, what you write is very interesting.  I was messing around today with racket angles during looping and felt like for some reason a more open face  AND letting the ball be farther away from my body was pretty effective, but then I just figured this was some kind of awful technique.  I use T05, I wonder if it matters so much what kind of rubber you use?
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:10pm

I think you might be right about attacking close range with a open bat for a ball with no spin or under spin
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Rack, what you write is very interesting.  I was messing around today with racket angles during looping and felt like for some reason a more open face  AND letting the ball be farther away from my body was pretty effective, but then I just figured this was some kind of awful technique.  I use T05, I wonder if it matters so much what kind of rubber you use?

It would work with Euro/Japanese rubbers too but it won't be as effective due to the lack of tackyness on the topsheet and the sponge won't be as hard.  T05 is kinda hybrid so people do use the stroke on T05.  But yeah its really effective once you get the feel/timing down. 

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by keven702 keven702 wrote:

I think you might be right about attacking close range with a open bat for a ball with no spin or under spin

Yeah Kevin thats step one, after try hitting into it at 80-90 then wrap around the ball with your wrist giving it a lil extra omph forward.  You'll like the results Smile.  Remember to always followthrough forward... and not upwards.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 1:04am
Originally posted by cousinkenni cousinkenni wrote:

One more thing.......show me a situation that you are talking about, you still haven't given any photo/video that shows your contention clearly.
Please see the Ma long vs Joo se Hyuk match in the World team cup 2009 with very detail slow motion video. You will see Ma long was actually keeping at 80-90 deg bat angle when looping from close table.
The main challenge in this technique is when wrapping the ball with foam you have to have good acceleration and proper weight tranform at hips and waist. Performing all these actions simultaneously in a single fluid motion is too much for us mortals.  Ouch
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 1:20am
What the a Guide for 3rd ball attack says about racket angle?  I don't see how one can loop a ball on the raise, over the table with an open racket face.  
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 2:11am
If you are talking about the section about 6:00 into the video (the game winning point) I think you are using a very poor example relative to loops against no spin/topspin.  

In the side-on super-slow motion you can clearly see that he hits 4 loops with the blade face vertical (or very near vertical).  However those 4 loops are against world-class LP chop underspin return of his world-class topspin.   There were actually 5 loops hit on that point.  The first one was an opening loop against JSH's push serve return.  I wish the side-on view included the loop against the lower underspin of the push so we could compare that to the loops against the LP chop heavy underspin.

It's late.  I check out the rest of the video later.

If there is a section of loop against no spin/topsin in that video that you think clearly shows your point could you give an approximate time in the video.

Mark
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 2:37am

I have this video on my hard drive. Can you give me the link you're referring to?

TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 9:39am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

What the a Guide for 3rd ball attack says about racket angle?  I don't see how one can loop a ball on the raise, over the table with an open racket face.  

Try it. It works.

Much to the suprise of my opponent.

Chen Qi does it all the time.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 10:35am

[/QUOTE]
yup this shot works.  you can do this shot on underspin ball too, OVER THE TABLE! Evil%20Smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

yup this shot works.  you can do this shot on underspin ball too, OVER THE TABLE! Evil%20Smile

Where does the racket contact the ball?  I think it will be different contact point with topspin ball and underspin ball? 

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic