Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Interested to see what you make of my style.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 3:01am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

You need to really work on your fitness level, alot. YOu were barely moving at all.

I would call this an attack on my fitness level. Clearly a comment from someone who watched the first 10 seconds realized it wasn't a pro vid and turned it off.
Sponsored Links

ajchien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajchien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:57am
JKC, is this you too?

It looks like you're practicing against a frictionless no sponge LP here.

And this?

ajchien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajchien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:52am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I dont know about the 1800s you play with.. but the ones I know are plenty capable of such things as backhand counter loops and 3rd ball BH winners.

Well, we're both from California then. I must say i don't see 1800 players with effective BH counterloops. Landing a BH counterloop once or twice in a night of play (which I think an 1800 can do) is nothing like landing them with consistently and with placement.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:16am

Good point, JKC. I guess if you hold a mod title then all the other factors just jump out.

I don't really think he attacked your fitness. But then again, i think he could have said it in a nicer way. When i first read what he said.. I cringed a little bit. Regardless though, it could have ended sooner, and the comments were still unnecessary, since you commented more on what he said afterwords when what he said was purely analytical comments that made sense than you did on his first post. But either way, its done and over with, and its all good.

Enjoyed the vid though, Can't wait to see more, JKC

thanks.
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:11am
I agree with LiXiao. Everything is great except the foot work. In fact, in a lot of the shots the arms and upper body have clearly adapted to the lethargic lower body. Strong play though. No one is being mean spirited and making unfair comments, I think its pretty clear form the video.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:02am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

Its a good point about it not being a higlight real. I would give a higher rating thinking that. Thanks for the point. I still dont put him at 2200 usatt though. I dont know how he beat a top 15 professional player.. I'd like to see a video of that.

the 2300 player i know has a much better game that's all. He's from india, and may be heavily under rated. A lot of the players in my state are under rated. I know compared to people from california and what not of the same rating that Ive seen, He is much much better. So i make comparisons based on the people i know.

I like your game a lot. Its original. It seems effortless because of your superior placement and control of the table. Youre a big guy, and I'm a big guy so I just like you that much more because I relate to that lol.

I dont like what you said to Lixiao though. Calling him a dreamy noob who sits on his computer all day and laughing at his game that youve never seen isnt very necessary. Those kinds of comments should be below you. Knowing he's a teenager, you shouldnt be making him feel like crap just to make yourself feel better. You asked for criticism and you got it. He makes a valid point and theres no need to dismiss his opinions like that. Anyone can learn something from anyone. Be it a 14 year old beginner that sees something, or JO waldner. I know LX can be excessive sometimes, but this isnt the case here. He did nothing to provoke a condescending response like that.

But that aside, I want to see more videos of you in the future! See how you play a little more serious. Good stuff.

Thanks.

I didn't particularly like the way LiXiao launched in and attacked my fitness on the first post, so I didn't particularly feel like holding back. A moderator on any site should have a little more tact if he is to have the respect of its members. I am a moderator on another site, and I would certainly choose my words more carefully.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:01am
Originally posted by ajchien ajchien wrote:

Yes, I think he is also around 2300. Maybe better. Very classic european type play. Off table, consistent, good placement, efficiency of footwork.

No way a US1800 player has that type of placement, distance control, and efficientcy of motion. An 1800 player can put together points like this in a highlight reel, but these are a lot of points that are played. Case in point: 3:35 and 4:16 - backhand counterloops dont come from 1800 players. Also, there were plenty of backhand opening 3rd ball outright winners - that dosent come from 1800 players. Check out the placement at 00:42.

I am a believer though that improvement would come with holding the table and being the aggressor more often. Too many times you may drop back into mid-distance, prematurely giving up control of the table. However, that would require a bigger investment in footwork and conditioning. Like me, you probabaly enjoy your steak more than needing to play at any higher level. ;)

PS. Nice racket sound. Whats popular over there: glue sound rubbers, tuning, or gluing?

I dont know about the 1800s you play with.. but the ones I know are plenty capable of such things as backhand counter loops and 3rd ball BH winners.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 2:00am
I tuned it slightly a few weeks back, but it made little difference to either speed spin or sound so I decided not to bother again. I think I would have to use more layers, but I don't want to upset the good control of the bat by speeding things up too much. I have some new rubbers to stick on in the next couple of days and I am not going to bother tuning those at all.

The rubber is quite slow compared to euro and jap rubbers, it goes well with the quick blade. There is plenty of control on the slower shots from the rubber, but the blade gives me enough speed when I hit hard.

I though you might have trouble agreeing on a rating for me as I tend to beat and lose to people with a wide range of abilities depending on how well they serve and receive serve, how well they keep it short, how well they control heavy spin, how well they get into position to play the shot and how well they hit the higher ball of course.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 1:57am
Its a good point about it not being a higlight real. I would give a higher rating thinking that. Thanks for the point. I still dont put him at 2200 usatt though. I dont know how he beat a top 15 professional player.. I'd like to see a video of that.

the 2300 player i know has a much better game that's all. He's from india, and may be heavily under rated. A lot of the players in my state are under rated. I know compared to people from california and what not of the same rating that Ive seen, He is much much better. So i make comparisons based on the people i know.

I like your game a lot. Its original. It seems effortless because of your superior placement and control of the table. Youre a big guy, and I'm a big guy so I just like you that much more because I relate to that lol.

I dont like what you said to Lixiao though. Calling him a dreamy noob who sits on his computer all day and laughing at his game that youve never seen isnt very necessary. Those kinds of comments should be below you. Knowing he's a teenager, you shouldnt be making him feel like crap just to make yourself feel better. You asked for criticism and you got it. He makes a valid point and theres no need to dismiss his opinions like that. Anyone can learn something from anyone. Be it a 14 year old beginner that sees something, or JO waldner. I know LX can be excessive sometimes, but this isnt the case here. He did nothing to provoke a condescending response like that.

But that aside, I want to see more videos of you in the future! See how you play a little more serious. Good stuff.

Thanks.

pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

I use a Galaxy T-4, with LKT Rapid Sound. It seems to be the best combination so far for me, I have never felt so happy with a bat.

Did you boost or tune the Rapid Sound, or is it straight out of the box?  What is the speed like compared to a popular mainstream rubber for example.  Thanks.
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
ajchien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajchien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 12:50am
Yes, I think he is also around 2300. Maybe better. Very classic european type play. Off table, consistent, good placement, efficiency of footwork.

No way a US1800 player has that type of placement, distance control, and efficientcy of motion. An 1800 player can put together points like this in a highlight reel, but these are a lot of points that are played. Case in point: 3:35 and 4:16 - backhand counterloops dont come from 1800 players. Also, there were plenty of backhand opening 3rd ball outright winners - that dosent come from 1800 players. Check out the placement at 00:42.

I am a believer though that improvement would come with holding the table and being the aggressor more often. Too many times you may drop back into mid-distance, prematurely giving up control of the table. However, that would require a bigger investment in footwork and conditioning. Like me, you probabaly enjoy your steak more than needing to play at any higher level. ;)

PS. Nice racket sound. Whats popular over there: glue sound rubbers, tuning, or gluing?

sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 12:46am
I believe he is clearly better than Larry, no offense intended to you or Larry.
YEO

Boost TP
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 12:34am
He reminds me of Larry Bavly a.k.a. "heavyspin".  In my estimate he's playing about 2100 from the video, but can easily be 2200 to 2250 if he's serious and stay closer to the table.  He has great forehand and backhand spinny loops, great placement, good serves and returns, which are trademarks of a solid all-around player.  This observation is purely personal, from my experience of running and playing at least 300 Class A round robins in Los Angeles.  Just my 2 cent$.
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 12:24am
^ I'm 1800 and I couldn't handle this guy, not even close.

It's funny that you think an 1800 max player could defeat a player in the top 15 in England.
YEO

Boost TP
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2008 at 12:02am
Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

sorry but he would smoke you lixiao, imho hes somewhere in the 21-2300 range

Sorry no offense at all but hes no where near that high. I don't know what 21-2300 level players youve seen, but there are great differences. I'd say more like 1700. 1800 MAX. Definitely not 2000.

Also, you have to admit lixiao isnt saying anything false. Fitness is indeed greatly important. And we do indeed pick things up from watching professionals. The error in his comment is that JKC had no need to move so much, whether he has the ability or not, and he was trying to keep a rally going. Which is where i get that "1800 max" from. He probably has an extra kick that doesn't show on that video.  
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 10:26pm
^ I think your coach is right when he said that. I would also imagine that ove time it could hurt your wrist.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 10:23pm
It seems that you are generating your spins from your wrist. Is it really okay, I mean, doesn't it affect your consistency?My former coach usually scold me if I use wrist action for generating spins, he said it would be bad for consistency. I usually found my topspins more spinny if I use wrist power.
Messing opponents with their own spins.
----------------------------------------------------
Main:
Sunflex Pro
Rubbers:Focus III/Nitakku Express

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
Rubbers:Palio CJ8000/DHS 652
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 10:10pm
I never said he wasn't good. I actually think is quite good, but the point is, movement is very important.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:54pm
nice, smooth play, and he's right, he has a job and all, I don't think at this moment his main goal is the world top 10, so nice job.
magritte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magritte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:52pm
I am a big fan of Juan King Carlo ever since I saw your serves video.

Now, I am even more of a fan. I love your style...the thinking man's game... delightful...filled with artful moves, spin skills, and wry deceptions with minimum pseudo-macho athletic struggles.

The power and speed game of the athletic youth bores me into a stupor...slam, slam, slam, loop, slam...

I would love to take lessons from you. I recently returned to the game after laying off since 1959. I'll be returning to study your style frequently.

Most of the guys who are into fitness don't have a style.

magritte

Single Ply Hinoki Club
Butterfly Cypress Alpha
Mark V soft
Toxic 3
Milky Way Mercury 2.0
Saviga V
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:47pm
I use a Galaxy T-4, with LKT Rapid Sound. It seems to be the best combination so far for me, I have never felt so happy with a bat.
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:45pm
just curious, what rubber and blade were you using?
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

Hard to say from one vid, but I was thinking 2300 at least. Power, consistency, anticipation, and touch; that's a lot of goodies in his bag!
YEO

Boost TP
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:37pm

In any sport, when you stop moving your opponent can beat you. Thats true in any racket sport. Be it tennis, squash, table tennis, badminton, etc etc. You watcht the pros play they are always moving. Take Ma Lin for example.

Right LiXiao, we have heard you, now get back to watching some more pro vids and dreaming.

How can you deny that. Watching the pros makes you better. Otherwise why would training videos be made. So i guess you can go back to doing nothing when playing and just not learn.

Training vids are made so noobs like you can buy them and dream. You have to reach a certain level before you should be trying to copy the pro's. you would be better finding someone reasonable at your local club and asking them for a few tips.

Just put a link on to your vid LiXiao then we can all have a laugh.LOL
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:33pm
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:29pm

In any sport, when you stop moving your opponent can beat you. Thats true in any racket sport. Be it tennis, squash, table tennis, badminton, etc etc. You watcht the pros play they are always moving. Take Ma Lin for example.

Right LiXiao, we have heard you, now get back to watching some more pro vids and dreaming.

How can you deny that. Watching the pros makes you better. Otherwise why would training videos be made. So i guess you can go back to doing nothing when playing and just not learn.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Nice , stable,smooth. I like your shots......., but I wonder why did you have to step back so far? Is it because you were enjoying playing like this that very moment, or it is your style? More experienced, or faster player would take a quick advantage of such a situation

I usually go to the table with Plan A - blitz people off with a heavy topspin loop and spinny blocks (to either side) after a chop or float serve or Plan B - back off and chase down everything looping it back to the corners.

You would be surprised how many faster, more experienced players can't take advantage when I am away from the table. I have very good anticipation and can actually move very fast considering my size when I need to. It isn't too long since I beat a player in the top 15 in England at a Grand Prix tournament using just this tactic and I am a better player now than I was then.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:11pm
Nice , stable,smooth. I like your shots......., but I wonder why did you have to step back so far? Is it because you were enjoying playing like this that very moment, or it is your style? More experienced, or faster player would take a quick advantage of such a situation
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

One thing I noticed is that you do not smash the ball with the forehand when you have the chance, even when really high, for almost certain winners. Are you going easy with your opponent?
I don't smash that often, looping is more fun. I was trying to keep the rallies going longer too.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by salsaking salsaking wrote:

Yeah, your style looks relatively effortless - nice BHs off push. Your practice partner there looks much more intense.....

The other thing I noticed was the loud click of your partner's racket - what does he use??

He has Express (don't know which number) on FH and Tenergy on BH. He is really unhappy with the Express.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic