FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

LKT rapid soft review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LKT rapid soft review
    Posted: 02/08/2009 at 3:49pm
has anyone tried it? what's it good for? a friend of mine has a couple of new sheets and i'd try one out if it suits my game: both wing close to table/mid distance looper. 
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2009 at 7:37pm
Just try it. It would work for you. I use it on my BH and its the best thing I've tried on my BH so far.. I can pull some power loops away from the table with it.. its also really good at hitting... So it would work. It has plenty of spin for looping close up on the FH im sure.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2009 at 7:43pm
It's like LKT Pro XT with harder sponge.
humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2009 at 9:24pm
thanks! i'll give it a try on the fh. on my bh i'm using jo platin soft, i like it a lot on the bh. i've been using jo platin on the fh, but my serves Confused no spin at all, it's good for looping mid distance and far from the table, those spinny loops close at the table just aren't working... thank you!
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2009 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

It's like LKT Pro XT with harder sponge.

I feel that it's slightly less grippy than XP, although still more than most rubbers. For many players this would give increased control.  XT is  EXTREMELY grippy(regular version, not Silver Dragon).
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 12:50am
^really? I would have said that Rapid Soft is grippier than XP. Never tried XT though.. But I use Rapid soft now for my BH of the HK and i use XP on the BH of my backup setup and currently the RS is a good amount grippier. And its a few steps faster as well. It stands out hitting- its really nice blocking and counter hitting.. but isnt hard to loop with either.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 7:11am
Sorry I meant my comment about LKT Rapid Sound, not Soft. I have not tried Soft. Rapid Sound is like LKT XT with harder sponge.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 11:53am

Here's my review of the LKT Rapid Soft.  @ Haggis, I don't see any review of the LKT Rapid series in your site.  Feel free to post mine if you'd like.  However, I've only used Soft and not the other three.

Initial impressions

Out of the package, the LKT Rapid Soft looks pretty nice.  It does feel soft to the touch.  I had the 2.2mm black and used it on the forehand.  It�s tacky enough where you can put the plastic film after each session but mine did not pick up the ball for any extended period, maybe a fraction of a second.  I certainly wouldn�t call it sticky like the classic 729 or Globe 999.  But it�s pretty nice.

Short game: pushes, flips and serves

For pushes and flips, it�s quite excellent like most Chinese rubbers.  When a ball is dropped short to my forehand and I�m using a Japanese rubber, if I do flip it, I usually just focus on putting enough spin.  But with Rapid Soft, I can really flip kill it.  This goes the same for Torrent.  They�re both very excellent for the short game.   On serves, it�s not quite as spinny as the classic sticky top sheet with hard sponge ex. Globe 999 but it�s still pretty good.

Loops

Ok, this is what you really want, yes? I have to say that LKT Rapid Soft has a very distinct sound when looping.  It�s a very faint speed glue sound.  I used it on a few blades: a 5-ply Hinoki blade, Primorac Carbon and Korbel.  For the Korbel, it�s way too slow in my opinion.  With PC, not bad but I�m not used to carbon blades so I didn�t like the carbon sound.  Also, it affected the dwell time quite a bit.  But if you�re used to composite blades, I don�t see a problem.  With my Hinoki, it was pretty nice though.  Close to the table, the loops are powerful.  Mid-court, you have to swing a little harder but still very good.  From the back court (more than 6 feet back) I had some problems generating power.  One thing I like to do is fish from the back court and if there�s an opportunity, I do a forehand loop.  Well, I dumped a few in the net.  I wish I had a 1-ply Hinoki blade to test it with because I think the extra kick would really feel nice.

For power looping where you�re out to destroy somebody, I was fine as long as I was fairly close to the table.  However, a friend of mine who had it on a Yasaka Extra 7 was blasting lots of people from farther.  He was transitioning from a speed-glued LKT XP/XT.  Chinese looping (Hao Shuai looking strokes) are no problem.  This is preferable actually with the LKT Rapid Soft.  But if you have a Euro loop (salute action), it was no problem either. 

Flat hits

The LKT Rapid Soft flat hits pretty nicely.  If you�re a close to the table flat hitter, maybe with short pips on the backhand or even reverse like Li Jia Wei style, I think this would be  a good rubber.  However, it won�t give that really nasty flat block like the classic 729 or hard sponge Globe 999.  The tradeoff is that you get a bit more mid-court power if in fact you were forced back from the table.

Defense � blocks, fishing, lobbing

Blocking is excellent.  Like I wrote, it�s not going to be a dead block like classic Chinese rubbers (hard sponge, sticky tops).  I blocked with the backhand too.  If you like blocking one or two shots, then backhand loop off the bounce sort of like Liu Guozheng, it�s pretty nice.  Fishing and lobbing, it�s pretty nice too.  The sponge is bouncy enough that it won�t give you a �weird� feeling.  When I say weird, I mean switching from a Euro/Japanese rubber and let�s say going to hard Globe 999.  The ball will just drop dead unless you swing hard, right? This didn�t give me that feeling.

Again, if you fish and lob from afar and wait to counter with your loop, I had difficulties.  Maybe I should swing harder or use a bouncier blade.

Conclusions

I should say that my main equipment is Japanese stuff for many years.  So using Chinese stuff is not something I would just do very easily and take lightly.  I�ve used LKT XT/XP, Torrent and now Rapid Soft and I feel that the LKT products really offer me the easiest transition.  I find that at least for me, it was easier to transition to LKT than Dawei Inspirit (including Quattro) or even Palio CJ8000 (sorry Cole!).  Those two are very close to Japanese/Euro quality though and I think they would suit anybody who wants to transition from expensive Japanese/Euro stuff to the more economical Chinese stuff.  The LKT is just a personal preference for me.

I also want to note that I used two coats regular rubber cement, one on the blade, and then aired it out for a day or two before playing so I would consider the racket pretty legal.  I didn�t use it with speed glue or tuner.  Weight is not heavy for a Chinese rubber.  Unlike Cream MRS, it didn't make me think it was too heavy for a Chinese brand.

So the bottom line is I would use it with a bouncy blade like a one-ply Hinoki or a 7-ply Yasaka Extra Seven like my club mate.  A 5-py wood blade would work too ex. VSG-1000, BTY Firehand or Donic Dicon.  I am considering using it with a Galaxy blade for a back up.

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

So the bottom line is I would use it with a bouncy blade like a one-ply Hinoki or a 7-ply Yasaka Extra Seven like my club mate.  I am considering using it with a Galaxy blade for a back up.

not recommended for 5 ply all wood?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 4:43pm
thank you very much guys! just another thing: what about the weight? compared to, say, sriver? just to have a term of comparison.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 5:57pm
lighter, of course!

I mostly agree with BeaverMD that Rapid Soft is a very good and inexpensive rubber. I would advise it as a very nice sub for Sriver FX. I myself played with it a bit - I have it on my backup blade paired with Rapid Speed on the other side. I would use it on the blades with stiffness in the upper 50% of the scale due to its softness.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 9:47pm
Nice review BeaverMD!Thumbs%20Up
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

So the bottom line is I would use it with a bouncy blade like a one-ply Hinoki or a 7-ply Yasaka Extra Seven like my club mate.  I am considering using it with a Galaxy blade for a back up.

not recommended for 5 ply all wood?

Sure, 5-ply wood would work too.  I just mentioned one-ply Hinoki and Extra 7 because they're known to be bouncy.  Actually, using the Korbel with Rapid Soft was too slow for me but it might be fine for somebody else.  However, for a 5-ply all wood, I would probably choose something like BTY VSG-1000, Firehand or Donic Dicon because those are pretty bouncy.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by humint humint wrote:

thank you very much guys! just another thing: what about the weight? compared to, say, sriver? just to have a term of comparison.

I don't have a scale so I'll defer to what JimT wrote.  I will say that Rapid Soft didn't feel like it was a big change in weight for me.  Unlike when I used a Cream MRS, I noticed how much heavier it was right away.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Nice review BeaverMD!Thumbs%20Up

Thanks! If there are any more developments, I'll edit my review.  However, I've had it for a couple of months now so I think there won't be much more.  My brother actually put it on his Stiga blade (don't know which) so I might have a hit with it to let some Stiga blade users know how it feels.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I would advise it as a very nice sub for Sriver FX.

How about a sub for Sriver EL? Which Rapid would be close?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2009 at 11:46pm
yes it's fairly light, similar the LKT XT/XP
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2009 at 8:38am
Here are the weights on uncut sheets on the Rapid series (all 2.2mm black):

LKT Rapid Sound 52g 167x166mm
LKT Rapid Power 64g 164x166mm
LKT Rapid Soft 53g 166x165mm
LKT Rapid Speed 63g 166x165mm

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic