Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What else is needed to beat the Chinese?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
yassermuslim View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yassermuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What else is needed to beat the Chinese?
    Posted: 05/12/2009 at 11:37am
While watching this video, I was wondering what else is needed to beat Chinese. Is it skill, speed, tactics, fitness, power, concentration? I believe it's all there. However these two players are far in the ranking and always underdogs.

Click here

Re,
Sponsored Links

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 12:41pm
Just to notice, I think there's a problem when you upload your video because at least I can't see anything right now LOL. Well, beating is chinese is really hard as you all can see but from years to years, Schlager, Waldner, Timo Boll has proven that nothing is impossible.You understand me right ? Like many people are saying, chinese is much more professional in training table tennis than europeans.They have their own method, for an example : I heard that there are many '' Waldners '' and '' Samsonov '' in China.Some players have job to follow these guys as I said above and copy their game style, from a->z so the chinese players can train and make the real match easier.That's a good method but not any country can do like that, chinese has a really great source of men, they can have enough good table tennis player whenever they want.And one of the most important thing is : table tennis is the number 1 sport in CHina, I believe that's true.Besides, they are not weaker than europeans, they are really smart ( I have to admit that ! ), they have potential and tradition, that's why they are dominating the world of tt.What else is needed to beat the Chinese ? All the best european players have to unite together and discuss tactics, experience together and find a solution.One country can't do this.Even timo boll, the european no.1 can't win the chinese so many times, let's see what's gonna happen in the future
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 1:36pm
"...I was wondering what else is needed to beat Chinese. Is it skill, speed, tactics, fitness, power, concentration?"

Skill. These players are nowhere near as skilled as the Chinese in serve, return, and short game.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 7:25pm
What else is needed to beat the Chinese?

Luck and lots of them and still might not be enough...LOL
PingPongPulse View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

Just to notice, I think there's a problem when you upload your video because at least I can't see anything right now�LOL. Well, beating is chinese is really hard as you all can see but from years to years, Schlager, Waldner, Timo Boll has proven that nothing is impossible.You understand me right ? Like many people are saying, chinese is much more professional in training table tennis than europeans.They have their own method, for an example : I heard that there are many '' Waldners '' and '' Samsonov '' in China.Some players have job to follow these guys as I said above and copy their game style, from a->z so the chinese players can train and make the real match easier.That's a good method but not any country can do like that, chinese has a really great source of men, they can have enough good table tennis player whenever they want.And one of the most important thing is : table tennis is the number 1 sport in CHina, I believe that's true.Besides, they are not weaker than europeans, they are really smart ( I have to admit that ! ), they have potential and tradition, that's why they are dominating the world of tt.What else is needed to beat the Chinese ? All the best european players have to unite together and discuss tactics, experience together and find a solution.One country can't do this.Even timo boll, the european no.1 can't win the chinese so many times, let's see what's gonna happen in the future

very nice explanantion TBS +1
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 7:34pm
Just recruit Chinese to compete with Chinese. Oh well! it is chinese game. Ouch
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

It does not work anymore.  I forgot where I read or heard but Chinese players have to wait 7yrs (after having another citizenship) in order to compete for that country.

Some1 please correct me if I am wrong.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 8:08pm
Well Kenta was really close. One thing that I dont like people saying is how people like Kaii Yoshida are chinese and they are just playing for Japan. When in fact China didnt do sh*t for him. He won all of his Domestic and International titles when he lived in Japan. Just throwing that out there.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by yassermuslim yassermuslim wrote:

While watching this video, I was wondering what else is needed to beat Chinese. Is it skill, speed, tactics, fitness, power, concentration? I believe it's all there.

I'm pretty sure they don't have the skill and tactics of the Chinese. I know this is highlights, but the fact so many points go to long rallies indicates their lack of short games kills. 
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 10:06pm
This video emphasizes even more how TT is a 3 dimensional sport. These guys on the other hand, are only using 1 dimension. They start the point with a push or a roll, then go head to head against each other's strokes. The more consistent person wins....

From where I am sitting, this is simply not enough to swing and hope to beat chinese. You need strategy, tactics, you need great placement! These guys loop to each other, not away from each other, look, they don't even move from side to side!!!

Short game is very important. These 2 just like to keep the ball long. One thing I've learned is that any level above 1200-1400 has strokes. In warmup it even looks like some of those strokes are better than mine, but then you wonder why they never get higher up in ratings - consistency, lack of tacktics, one winged, overanticipating, too many unforced errors, lack of experience against various styles, etc....

This sport has too many things one needs to master in order to become a master good enough for top world players. Takes years to master all these skills and unforutnately for us in US, we simply don't have the luxury of time to learn these skills. We also lack experienced players with these skills to show us how some things are done. I think its very similar in other countries that these guys represent.
Back to table tennis...
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yassermuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 10:18pm
short game skills

Most probably you're right. It takes a lot of time, dedication and boring exercises to develop short game skills. I guess european coaches want to entertain audience more than winning. However a good tactical player can drag the Chinese into his strength - open rallies.
On the other hand it might be a good idea to change the service rule so that the receiving area is the last quarter of the table.
What do you think?
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by yassermuslim yassermuslim wrote:

short game skills

Most probably you're right. It takes a lot of time, dedication and boring exercises to develop short game skills. I guess european coaches want to entertain audience more than winning. However a good tactical player can drag the Chinese into his strength - open rallies. On the other hand it might be good idea to change the service rule so that the receiving area is the last quarter of the table.
What do you think?

No.
Amultart CS
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1

YEO
Bryce Speed 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 10:31pm
The short game is probably one of the most important part of the game at any level. It dictates an easy shot pooped up from a bad chop or a missed loop from a low short chop. I dont think enough players practice the short game even at a high level, well at least not to the extent of the chinese.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
Dagoboz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagoboz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 10:56pm
How does anybody beat anybody. Anybody 1 must play better and score more points than anybody 2.

How do you beat the Chinese? You mean how does one nation become genuinely competetive with the Chinese? The answer is not found in short games, serves, forehands, back hands and so on. That is looking at the problem incorrectly. The answer as to how you beat the Chinese is simple. You have a better national infastructure for the sport than the Chinese. Of course the implementation of that would be brutally hard.
Blade: Maze
FH: Something
BH: Something Else
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Dagoboz Dagoboz wrote:

How does anybody beat anybody. Anybody 1 must play better and score more points than anybody 2.

How do you beat the Chinese? You mean how does one nation become genuinely competetive with the Chinese? The answer is not found in short games, serves, forehands, back hands and so on. That is looking at the problem incorrectly. The answer as to how you beat the Chinese is simple. You have a better national infastructure for the sport than the Chinese. Of course the implementation of that would be brutally hard.

How would you go about creating a better system than the Chinese have?
Start the kids at 2 yrs old rather than 4-6? Genetic manipulation? The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?
Recanter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 11:21pm
How to beat the Chinese? You gotta understand that Table Tennis has a different meaning in China, than in the rest of the world.

If you can convince the Government to fund and take Table Tennis as seriously as the Chinese... then you'll be able to "cultivate" talent!
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: BTY EJ Max
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yassermuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 11:22pm

I guess you are right, on the national level you need depth, commitment, infrastructure, ... etc. However my question was about individuals.

Re,
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2009 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Well Kenta was really close. One thing that I dont like people saying is how people like Kaii Yoshida are chinese and they are just playing for Japan. When in fact China didnt do sh*t for him. He won all of his Domestic and International titles when he lived in Japan. Just throwing that out there.

Lixiao while I don't disagree with your argument, I have to counter it.

first, kenta being very close to ma lin was a very impressive sight. I dont know exactly how old he is, but he did well. But when you watch that match, you still see in every aspect who the better player is. Everyone has come close to beating everyone.. but the thing is that that doesn't mean much. But in this case, you have more of a point because kenta is so young. My argument is much stronger when someone is supporting a seasoned pro versus a seasoned pro. I dont know where Mizutani was at kenta's age, so for me its a "we'll have to wait and find out" moment. I heard someone say that the japanese kind of round off after 16.. but i have no validity to provide for that comment.

I do have a good opinion on your comment about Yoshida Kaii. I firstly have to say that watching the kaii hao match, kaii impressed me with his fighting spirit very much.. and every time i watched him make amazing shot after amazing shot.. my jaw dropped. But the thing is, wang hao always had a better shot to answer with. There are times in that match where i thought kaii was unstoppable with a shot, and then wang hao would expertly put it back in a way that seemed even more impossible. The thing about what you said is that, while the chinese never did anything for him and he had to make a name for himself in japan.. the reasoning is very strong. Yoshida Kaii didn't get anything out of china simply because he just isn't good enough. He isn't, nor has he ever been, up to a chinese national team level of play. I'm sure there are plenty of players in china that are the same level of play as yoshida kaii that we will never hear of. But that is because China has a much higher standard of playing skill than anywhere else in the world. Their nobodies can be any other countries top player or hero. The difference is that Yoshida decided to go do that for himself anyway, and as a result became a top pro because of experience he gained and the dedication he had. But realistically, like i have already said, the chinese probably have a line of players that are equal in skill as yoshida kaii is. The thing is that none of them are internationally ranked. Idk what rank he is.. lets say 30 as an example. Yoshida Kaii is WR 30, but I would put money on the fact that he is not close to the 30 best players in the world. There are many unranked players around, mostly in china im sure, that could probably sway the top 100 WR list.. and maybe you might find an all chinese top 10 after these nobodies can get exposure.
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 12:48am
Well, how to beat the Chinese in a game played by nearly 90% of its citizen? The nation need to cultivate its citizen to start at a very young age 3-4 years old and all its citizen may be required to play table tennis.
In that sense the nation can compete with China.
Over the years, Schlager, Waldner and Boll has proven that nothing is impossible to break the Chinese great wall of table tennis. The Chinese is much more professional in training table tennis than any other countries in the world.  China has a really great resources of human capital which provide them enough good table tennis player whenever they want.

What else is needed to beat the Chinese ? All the best European and other part of the world players have to unite together and discuss tactics, experience together and find a solution. One country/nation can't do that. 
wealthweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wealthweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 3:14am
To beat the Chinese is not easy at all. A guy from China told me that during training he was asked by his coach to practice the same serve several hundred times within the same period of time before he is permitted to do new tricks. Are we ready for that kind of drill and discipline? The Chinese coaches are not satisfied in just breeding good players; they want to create terminators and bull-dozers which will eliminate anything that stands on their way. European style is straight forward and forceful. Chinese style is LING HOW (meaning FLEXIBLE TRICKY). European players focuses on strength. Chinese players focuses on Ying Yang Balance.
Eric Yu
1st Blade: KTS Red + Omega II, Tenergy 64
2nd Blade: Butterfly Haruvatart-S ZL Carbon + Omega III, Tenergy 05
Dream Blade:Special Cypress Custom (Special Royal Treasure Art Product)+ Narucr
scottymang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottymang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 4:09am
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

I know that the Chinese are the best but it's an English game!
Timo Boll ALC + 2x Rakza7 max = Scottymang
sebas-aguirre View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 12:09pm
I think the fact that kenta plays close to the table with good placement and really pushing his opponent to failure has something to do.
his serves made the job difficult to ma lin too....
I think if you try to overpower ma lin or other chinese you are going the wrong path.
I think that with the infrastructure the chinese have it will be hard to beat them.
they are more professional.
and they have far many more players than other countries, and from quantity comes quality.
but life always shows us there are no rules or absolute paths, so a new waldner could be born anytime and kick all the ma's and wang's asses
mwyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 1:05pm

100% correct.
shaks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 2:02pm
On a different perspective. I think it is much more than just training. What you need is a different spiritual upbringing and also eating less red meat. That way your minds will be clear and bones will be flexible and your strokes  smooth and graceful like the chinese and also the japanese. See how humble and composed Ma long is while playing. It's not all aggression and focus. Most westerners play the game so stiff and that makes it hard to transition from touch to power and vice versa. Of course some like schalger and waldner were graceful in their youth.
good luck beating the asians.
~shaks
Usatt 2150

tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

Just to notice, I think there's a problem when you upload your video because at least I can't see anything right now LOL. Well, beating is chinese is really hard as you all can see but from years to years, Schlager, Waldner, Timo Boll has proven that nothing is impossible.You understand me right ? Like many people are saying, chinese is much more professional in training table tennis than europeans.They have their own method, for an example : I heard that there are many '' Waldners '' and '' Samsonov '' in China.Some players have job to follow these guys as I said above and copy their game style, from a->z so the chinese players can train and make the real match easier.That's a good method but not any country can do like that, chinese has a really great source of men, they can have enough good table tennis player whenever they want.And one of the most important thing is : table tennis is the number 1 sport in CHina, I believe that's true.Besides, they are not weaker than europeans, they are really smart ( I have to admit that ! ), they have potential and tradition, that's why they are dominating the world of tt.What else is needed to beat the Chinese ? All the best european players have to unite together and discuss tactics, experience together and find a solution.One country can't do this.Even timo boll, the european no.1 can't win the chinese so many times, let's see what's gonna happen in the future

well those Waldners and Samsonovs do not have the brain like originals so I don't think they make much of a difference.
IMHO the European players are less innovative in choosing and executing there shots.the touch shots are gone after Waldner leave the game.now they are either blocking or blasting.there is no balance.if Kreanga had a better defense he would have won many more matches and may be some against chinese too.
also modern European players don't have kill strokes like chinese.Waldii,Rossi,Persson,Gatien all had killing strokes which made them so competitive against chinese.
I still get amaized with the on the table backhand kill of A.Grubba.wow.

my point is if you go with normal strokes from the books and try to do lot of rallies the chinese are by far supirior by virtue of there hard and quality practise.you need to have manipulative(using brain and sudden strokes occationally raher than always going with conventional strokes) power and strokes which will end a rally.

I have seen Walner,Person,Rossi,Gatien,Grubba,Saive finished a rally smashing on a topspin from there opponent,none of the modern player have the skil.ok you cant smash every ball but some of them can be smashed,which will create mental disbalance for the chinese players.

1)ZJ fl(89 gm) fh T05 red max bh T05 fx black max
2)TBS fl(89 gm) fh T05 black max bh GKI hybrid gx red max
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yassermuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2009 at 11:37pm
Click here

Please have a look at this, specially at 0:34 the ceiling camera. See how Wang is close to the table compared to Schlagar and the way Wang transfers his weight while hitting the ball, that makes his stroke more powerful.

77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2009 at 12:00am
Wang is closer to the table since he hits the ball at the top(tacky rubber)while Schlaeger takes the ball when it is going down...
Messing opponents with their own spins.
----------------------------------------------------
Main:
Sunflex Pro
Rubbers:Focus III/Nitakku Express

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
Rubbers:Palio CJ8000/DHS 652
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yassermuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2009 at 12:03am
Originally posted by 77g33k 77g33k wrote:

Wang is closer to the table since he hits the ball at the top(tacky rubber)while Schlaeger takes the ball when it is going down...

You're right, that seems to be a major difference between Chinese and European technique.
Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2009 at 4:50am
you see that tactics and wide variety of surprising shots are the way how to beat Chinese, because they are super-drilled and better at most of standard patterns of the game. Common topspin clones like Boll will not have sucess. Boll improved his blocking game and uses head more, thats why he is much better now and can beat the Chinese. Kenta shows also unusual style and surprising blocking that is not standard return that Chinese expect. Waldner was the master at this varying. Schlager had also tactics and finishing power at 2003.

So I think the most important things are:

- variable play as much as possible

- good shortgame to prevent to many over-the-table kills

- well placed blocking like Oh Sang Eun, Kenta, Waldner

- ability to play fast kill shots like Schlager does to put pressure ( Mizu, Maze are lost here )

There should be "anti-chinese" camps and these things could be taught here to players from their youth, otherwise there is no chance, maybe Kenta will be first "star" when he improves his attack...
Yasaka Extra 3D
T05 1.9
Baracuda 1.8
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2009 at 9:19am
Wang liqin has a highly unusual stroke :) I tried to copy it the other day didn't work for me :S. How tall is he? hes seems to be a giant

In the first video the guy in the blue could have won nearly every point with a forehand down the line while the other guy was way over on the backhand hitting forehands but he just keeps hitting it back to him, whyyy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic