Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

haifu oil/glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: haifu oil/glue
    Posted: 08/27/2009 at 9:36am
so i have been reading all of these comments by adham...and I can say after reading them that I am thoroughly confused on the topic of legality of Haifu oil and haifu glue.  haifu oil alters the rubber without affecting the sponge and using voc right? so does that mean it is ok to use? also is the haifu voc-free glue legal to use? thanks all for shedding some insight on this.

on a separate note, I am a fast attacking counter looper and have to get a new fh rubber.  I usually used to use hurricane 3 from many years, but see this new rubber blue whale 2 on the mytt store.  should i try itTongue?
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 9:56am
I don't see any substantial difference betwee BW2 factory tuned and the old H2 commercial. Still, I am not sure cagaragesales sent me the factory tuned version of BW2, because what I got doesn't seem to have the attributes of the latter. Probably he, out of great compassion for all living beings, has sent me the untuned version thus saving my life from the clutches of the lethal weapon that is VOC glue.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 10:40am
Well, I know one difference...around $74 right?

Seriously though, can you actually buy haifu oil on the open market, or is it just a mysterious substance that they use for factory tuning and give to the pro's?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 11:55am
Haifu Oil/Tuner riddle solved....

Below is a review I did a while back originally located in this thread.....

The terms "Haifu Tuner" and "Haifu Oil" are a little bit confusing. And we may never find out what exact product members of the Chinese national team have been using on their equipment as a replacement for speed glue.

However, I have tested both the Haifu preglue adhesive and the Haifu VOC free glue. And I am not a reseller of these products...

----------

Haifu preglue adhesive...

Milky white, dries clear. This is basically a water-based glue. You can easily peel it off your fingers after it dries. It dries thin and does not dome the rubber. Like other water based glues (and paints), it dries fast. Only a slight tensioning of the rubber. There may be a slight increase in the speed of the rubber after using this product, but not anything close to going from an untuned BWII to a "factory tuned" BWII. (This is after 15 coats.) And the slight increase in speed might just be the fact that a BWII rubber stuck to a blade is faster than a BWII rubber with a dead layer of factory tuning stuck to the blade. And there is no sound.

IMO this is just a water-based glue. Nothing more.

----------

Haifu VOC free glue...

This is a brownish colored, thick liquid. I have no idea what this is made from but it is very oily. You will notice this if you get any on the side of the bottle or on your hands. Within moments of applying this, the rubber will dome about 1 inch. It takes 24 hours to dry enough to add another coat. (Although using a heater might speed this up.) Once dry, it is shiny and slightly sticky... So there's definitely some adhesive properties in it. After spending 4 days to apply 3 coats, I glued the rubber back on and I had to cut the rubber back down to fit the blade. (Since the rubber expanded?) The rubber had a noticeable click just by bouncing the ball, and when I played there was a speed glue feel and increased power. The famous BWII "crack" sound was back, but not as noticeable as an original factory tuned rubber.

I think this is what has been referred to as "Haifu Oil". Its oily, and its like speed glue. It does alter the properties of the rubber, but as it says on the label, it can pass the ENEZ test. So its illegal but legal at the same time.(?) I don't really care because I'll never be in a tournament that tests equipment. I simply wanted to find out how to return my BWII to its factory tuned state, or at least close to it, and based on my tests (and spending $$$ to find out), I can say this stuff is close.

----------

Finally, I really like the feeling of the tuned BWII, and I think I'll put some of this VOC free glue on some other rubbers like Sriver EL for fun, but the process is very labor intensive. I don't think I'll be using it as my main setup.

If you want to re-tune your BWII or experiment with a tuner/booster that "can pass the ENEZ" test, buy the haifu VOC-free glue, not the Haifu preglue adhsive. Otherwise stick to Tenergy, speed glue, or the other more common water based boosters  out there.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 12:00pm
I see that mytt is out of the oil.  Does anybody have it?

rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 12:37pm
hmm interesting stuff, so this haifu oil is voc free, but does alter the rubber and u get a speed glue effect.  does the ittf outright ban any rubber thats been altered.  cuz didnt adham say that if it is altered at the factory and the voc fumes or whatever have been safely contained then its ok? sheesh, this stuff is really confusing.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 3:09pm
I believe the offical ittf position is that the factories can do it but you can't.  They say this is because the rubber is approved as it is sold. But this makes no sense because the ittf has historically approved tops not sponges.  Really their position is indefensible and illogical, and they're just trying to make it work the best they can. 

DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 5:06pm
Yeah the brown stuff is an oil for sure because i put some on my blade 1 time and it didnt try at all, you gotta put it on the sponge so it soaks in and it domes the sponge quite a lot after 2-3 layers.

The white stuff is just springy water based glue(i peeled it off one time into a ball and it droped it and it bounced like crazy) and adding more layers of it to your sponge is just like making a thicker sponge thats more bouncy.

What haifu tried to do to get around the no altering the rubber rule was put so much glue on it(white stuff) that the oil(brown stuff) only soaks into the glue(white stuff) thus making the glue tuned(not the rubber), which is connected to the sponge but not actually the sponge.

Unfortunately that did not work, and i think they stopped giving the oil out to the public. I still have some and i use it to bring dead rubbers back to life or to soften hard sponged rubbers.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I believe the offical ittf position is that the factories can do it but you can't.  They say this is because the rubber is approved as it is sold. But this makes no sense because the ittf has historically approved tops not sponges.  Really their position is indefensible and illogical, and they're just trying to make it work the best they can. 

No one takes the rules seriously. Lets face it, TT is not much of an important sport and it doesn't have enough money for people to regulate it properly. I'm not saying I hate TT or against anything but I honestly think this is the fact about our sport. Even though they say its approved, do they inspect every rubber? Or just a sample?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2009 at 6:27pm
If it domes there are VOC. So why not use lamp oil that can't be detected? From all what I read in this thread that oil acts just like lamp oil ($4 for 32 oz).
I played with a Haifu Whale II (the one black rubber that says Whale Power and has a black sponge --> is that BW2? can you confirm) and after playing without anything (not fast enough) I did apply 9 ml of lamp oil in 2 days and I have to say that's when the rubber started to shine as a looping canon. When I added another 3ml of D-Limonene 2 days later it went into soft rocket mode and I had a nice playable rubber.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 12:19am
According to Haifu they have stopped making the oil, which probably means they've just stopped exporting it, meaning it will be harder to get...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 3:17am

can you actually buy haifu oil on the open market, or is it just a mysterious substance that they use for factory tuning and give to the pro's?

http://www.powerpingpong.com/haoiltuprgl1.html
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

can you actually buy haifu oil on the open market, or is it just a mysterious substance that they use for factory tuning and give to the pro's?

That's not the brown Haifu VOC-Free glue that was banned and no longer produced. 
rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 8:09am
i wonder if the chinese national team players still use the haifu brown oil Stern%20Smile
rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 8:56am
i beg to differ cheeseburger, I have nothing but utmost respect for alex li, and i have just read in a different thread he has clarified the haifu brown oil has been discontinued by haifu, he even took the pain of calling them to make sure.  you have to use the haifu white glue now, that is the way to do it.
diabolo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diabolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 9:11am

That one probably - http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail-0db2-0e6abb7c6e91d1b772dc95f1e2bc7af8.jhtml?cm_cat=0

I'm about to order it...
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 9:55am
Originally posted by cheeseburger cheeseburger wrote:

Originally posted by rodewan rodewan wrote:

i beg to differ cheeseburger, I have nothing but utmost respect for alex li, and i have just read in a different thread he has clarified the haifu brown oil has been discontinued by haifu, he even took the pain of calling them to make sure.  you have to use the haifu white glue now, that is the way to do it.
Phuck that assmuncher!

For glue, I only use Nittaku Fine Zip, or sometimes Butterfly Free Chack!

If you see my Pong collection, you'll have a heart attack! :)

This guy is a grade-A troll, so f**** full of himself it's rediculous. If we stop feeding him, maybe he'll go away.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 12:15pm
thanks.  i ordered from power pp.  Seems like a decent deal for 1000ml. Most tuners you get like 150ml for $25.  I'll probably start offering tuning service again.

figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

If it domes there are VOC. So why not use lamp oil that can't be detected? From all what I read in this thread that oil acts just like lamp oil ($4 for 32 oz).
I played with a Haifu Whale II (the one black rubber�that says Whale Power and has a black sponge --> is that BW2? can you confirm) and after playing without anything (not fast enough) I did apply�9 ml of lamp oil in 2 days and I have to say that's when the rubber started to shine as a looping canon. When I added another 3ml of D-Limonene 2 days later it went into soft rocket mode and I had a nice playable rubber.

if you are cheating the system. Why not brush on some xylene, add a touch of pure wintergreen (available at all rc shops) and play with that. I mean you are already bucking the system, minus well do it to while there is no system to buck. ;)
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 3:08pm

thanks.  i ordered from power pp.  Seems like a decent deal for 1000ml. Most tuners you get like 150ml for $25.  I'll probably start offering tuning service again.

Hey Cole! What did you exactly order? And where from did you order it?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by diabolo diabolo wrote:

That one probably - http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail-0db2-0e6abb7c6e91d1b772dc95f1e2bc7af8.jhtml?cm_cat=0

I'm about to order it...

Good Luck. Taobao was 100% out of stock since May 2009 when I was on the search for the brown while I was in China.
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2009 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by cagaragesales cagaragesales wrote:

Good Luck. Taobao was 100% out of stock since May 2009 when I was on the search for the brown while I was in China.

Hmmm...
"brown" can be slang for hash ~or~ heroin.
Best avoided, most always.
If not the first (no moral posturing from me)
by all means, the second!

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 10:33pm
I don't suppose that's what I just got for $70 per 1000ml.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2009 at 12:35am

That's not the brown Haifu VOC-Free glue that was banned and no longer produced. 

Is this a substitute for the glue?

Thank you
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2009 at 10:10am
Both the White  (Haifu Tuner/Pre-adhesive glue) and Brown (Haifu VOC-Free Glue) came out at the same time. Thing is, I believe Haifu messed up on their interpretation of the glues and swapped the names. Haifu Tuner really is just an elastic VOC-Free glue and Haifu VOC-Free Glue was actually the pre-gluing layer that tuned the sponge. Brown's been banned for a while now and it's no longer produced. But if you put on 10+ layers of the the white (make sure there are no bumps on each layer) you'll have a similar tuning effect.
rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2009 at 12:10pm
thanks for the clarification cargaragesales, haha it all makes sense now with the whole name-swapping deal
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2009 at 10:30pm

But if you put on 10+ layers of the the white (make sure there are no bumps on each layer) you'll have a similar tuning effect.

I seriously doubt that...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2009 at 12:51am
hmm i think thats what "Factory tuned" means right? the ten layers of the glue put on by the machine or something.  i think i read that somewhere...
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2009 at 1:39am
  • The Chinese use VOC-free glue. But they also use the Haifu Oil which expands the sponge and stretches the rubber and gives the speed-glue effect. They claim that it is VOC free and poison-free. We are now analyzing it to see if it's true. If in fact we could have a very safe product that gives the speed-glue effect, then why not. This is just my opinion. However, at the moment even Haifu Oil is breaking our rules 2.4 and 2.4.7, but we can not detect it with our current equipment. However, we have become very strict with the 4mm thickness rule because this is an effect of the oils and boosters is that they expand the sponge.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2009 at 9:56am
I'm not looking for more speed.  I can get that by switching blades.  I'm not looking for more spin.  I can get that with a thicker sponge.  I'm looking for that nice click that just gives me a feel I'm addicted to.  Like my rubber is a living organism. 

Can anyone point me to a post or site that gives me instructions on this stuff?  How much do I use?  After I'm done do I wrap it up or leave it in the open air? How many days must it sit until it's playable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic