Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TBS v Petr Korbel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBS v Petr Korbel
    Posted: 05/29/2010 at 6:16pm
Well this is about what it comes down to. I've decided to stick with Sriver and Mark V as my rubbers for quite a while, I now just need blade I can do the same with.

The Timo Boll Spirit is popular for a reason obviously and I would love to have on regardless, but from a development standpoint I wouldn't want a blade that is too much for me.

The Korbel is a 5 ply wood without the aralyte carbon that makes the TBS what it is, but I assume is more controllable.

The question for all the marbles is, would a Timo Boll Spirit be too advanced for a low end intermediate player to handle, even with just sriver/mv? Or do I need to take a step down and purchase a Korbel?

Tl;dr: Intermediate player. TBS? Korbel?
Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 6:46pm
Have you try to play with either one?  I own TBS, and play borrow Korbel some times.  I don't think they are much different in term of speed, the feel though is different as Korbel is all wood, and TBS is not.  If you are trying to learn the stroke, then maybe the korbel is better for you, otherwise I would suggest the TBS.  The TBS with the Sriver, or Mark V is actually very easy to play, specially blocking (which I think most intermediate player play).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 7:00pm
I haven't had the chance, though my friend has a Timo Boll ALC with roundell that I played with for a few minutes. Definitely a bit too fast. I've played with a couple wood and carbon blades and, among those I've tried, I preffered the feel of the carbon better. At the moment I'm leaning toward the TBS really as upgrading in a few months doesn't sound appealing and it has such a good reputation.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 7:08pm
AFAIK
Some of the best players in the US *still* choose the Korbel.

The idea of "outgrowing" it is ludicrous, unless you plan to spend the next 5 years in a Chinese Table Tennis School training 8-10 hours a day.

Heck, the majority of players who have ever played in USATT tournaments (more than 20,000 of the 40,000) never even outgrew a Primorac, much less the faster, less forgiving and more demanding Korbel.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 7:17pm
Nice choice of words.

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

AFAIK Some of the best players in the US *still* choose the Korbel.The idea of "outgrowing" it is ludicrous, unless you plan to spend the next 5 years in a Chinese Table Tennis School training 8-10 hours a day.Heck, the majority of players who have ever played in USATT tournaments (more than 20,000 of the 40,000) never even outgrew a Primorac, much less the faster, less forgiving and more demanding Korbel.

So, in your opinion, I might not even want a Korbel?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by despoticwalnut despoticwalnut wrote:

Well this is about what it comes down to. I've decided to stick with Sriver and Mark V as my rubbers for quite a while, I now just need blade I can do the same with.

The Timo Boll Spirit is popular for a reason obviously and I would love to have on regardless, but from a development standpoint I wouldn't want a blade that is too much for me.

The Korbel is a 5 ply wood without the aralyte carbon that makes the TBS what it is, but I assume is more controllable.

The question for all the marbles is, would a Timo Boll Spirit be too advanced for a low end intermediate player to handle, even with just sriver/mv? Or do I need to take a step down and purchase a Korbel?

The Korbel is an excellent choice. It is a benchmark blade. You cannot go wrong with it.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 9:09pm
There are loads of blade choices out there.

There are also loads of players with varying work ethics, abilities, and quality of training.

Some devoted players get put in a primorac and sriver EL by their coach, make it to 1100 in three months and outgrow the blade when they hit 1800 a year later.

Other players with less guidance and poorer drilling habits decide that the reason they can't hit through their opponents is because of their equipment (rather than footwork or positioning).

I strongly believe that when making a blade choice, it should be for the "long haul" and the capabilities of the blade (it's strengths and weaknesses) should fall in line with the amount of work and the quality of training in which one engages. The lower the quality of training, the more controlled the blade.

What I'm suggesting is that people take a more sensible approach to blade selection. One that is in line with their training regimen. The more focused the training (quality and frequency and duration) the more you will have the touch to control a faster blade.

I would argue that if you are new to the sport say a year or two in, and/or have less than ideal training habits (meaning you play more games than drills, and meaning that you have primarily uncoached development, and that your access to the game is limited to a day or two a week) that faster blades are likely to stunt development (stroke wise, because you can just use your arm instead of your legs and core muscles) and that slower blades are more likely to teach you to work to generate power while at the same time allowing a margin of error and slower (useful) gears that just aren't there in OFF and OFF+ blades...

Let me reiterate:
If you can beat US1000-1200 players consistently, it doesn't imply that you should be using an OFF blade. It simply means that you exploited some of the glaring holes in the game of a person at that level.

And of course, my trademark
"anecdotal evidence"

For example - back in 2005 a US2000 father/coach put his two boys (8 and 10 respectively) in pair of Waldner Dicons, IIRC

http://www.usatt.org/history/rating/history/allplayerslist.asp?ratings_selection=Last+Name&choose_ratings_by=bockoven&submit=Go!

That's an OFF- / OFF blade. I'm pretty sure it's slower than the Korbel or TBS.

Even with a coach and decent quality training, it took these young boys two years or more to break US1000. However, after 5 years of US2000 level coaching, practice and training the older boy rivals the father in the high 1900's and the younger is approaching 1800.

Now you could argue that they might have progressed faster with better natural ability, training or work ethic, but it would be silly to assume that they somehow would have progressed faster with faster equipment.

The point is, that they had to put in the hard work with the OFF gear to get to the level they were at. Personally I think it paid off. But ask yourself how hard you are willing to work before making a blade selection.

Faster blades = high maintainence girlfriends.
They look better, impress more people, but require that you diet, exercise, get body waxes and pedicures, etc. etc.

Just more demanding to control.
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2010 at 9:31pm

I haven't had the chance, though my friend has a Timo Boll ALC with roundell that I played with for a few minutes. Definitely a bit too fast. I've played with a couple wood and carbon blades and, among those I've tried, I preffered the feel of the carbon better. At the moment I'm leaning toward the TBS really as upgrading in a few months doesn't sound appealing and it has such a good reputation.

Equipment although could help/hinder performance and growth is extremely subjective to the user. Whatever "feels" the best for you is the best for you. With your choice of the classic rubbers, which aren't that fast at all without speed glue, the TBS would be good for you since you like the feel. With those rubbers, the TBS wouldn't feel too fast and you would get used to the speed rather quickly. It might be a little stiffer than the Korbel though. If you don't have a lot of money and aren't planning to be a pro, buy the combo you like the most, the one that appeals to you (of course, being at least a little reasonable to your skill level - too fast would hurt your growth/technique, too slow would hurt your arm/body). Good luck!
Viscaria
T05/T64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 12:22am
Well I definitely won't have consistent coaching, but I do plan on sticking with the sport. I honestly haven't the slightest on what I'd enjoy the most, so I'm still not sure what to get exactly.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

The Korbel is an excellent choice. It is a benchmark blade. You cannot go wrong with it.

I second that.  After two years of EJing, I finally settled down with Korbel for several months and my games are better than before.  You can do almost everything with Korbel.

TBS, on the other hand, is a little bit stiffer, harder feel, and faster than Korbel.  So you might have harder time to control it.  However, TBS is also a very good blade - especially blocking and smashing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 4:49am
Seems like a Korbel would fit really well then. I might just end up with that then, seeing as it's so well rounded.

Well I just checked and a Korbel with Mark V would run be about $35 less as well, so that seems like a solid choice.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 7:35am
korbel is a great blade (ST handle)... its a bit slower than YEO but a bit stiffer/faster than primorac. i played with all 3 of them, and korbel was great.. till i broke it Unhappy
i played it with 729-08 on fh and sriver el/sriver fx on bh... great setup.. although sriver fx felt slow abit for me.
i also wondered about hte TBS, but i told my self im going to wait till im way higher ranking (1800-2000) so i can trully deserve that blade.
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 10:16am
While I think the Korbel is a more sensible choice than the TBS, I still believe that it requires a solid work ethic to truly control.

And for under approx US1800 play, the extra speed offered by the Korbel over something like a Primorac won't be terribly valuable.

Here's a quick match between two players who were both rated around US1500 at the time of the match:

Answer this question honestly:

Which of these players is controlled by his equipment?

Not surprisingly, the player with better control hit the high 1700s just a few weeks later, beating loads of other 1700+ players. He did this in Texas, the 3rd coast - a hotbed of TT play. And he didn't get there because he picked fast gear, he got there because he has an incredibly agile mind, an amazing work ethic and very good practice habits. He got there because he got in position and the ball on the table. He is an inspiration to me, because his progress in the sport is faster than most juniors, and he is easily 5x their age.

And unlike me, not only can he talk the talk, but he also walks the walk.
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 10:25am
i know the answer!!! the old one in the yellw shirt can control his equipment the one in the red is controlled by =]

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 11:37am
With the right rubber, both blades can be controllable for the average player.

There are other things to consider, tho... Korbel has a large head size, so it will be head heavy, especially the ST handle. Although they are both similar in terms of top speed and distance you can make the ball go, TBS has a faster/crisper rebound so its better for blocking, and IMO more stable for pushing and serve returns, and better for serving, etc. Korbel will probably have more control on the first loop off backspin and its more consistent with all types of looping. But looping is only a small fraction of a game.

I would go with the TBS. Its has good control with the right rubbers, and there's more you can do with it. Korbel is too soft on some shots like blocking/counter driving IMO, and its too head heavy.

TBS has better resale value if you don't end up liking it.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 12:40pm
Icontec, the gent in yellow could posibly defeat some Dallas area 1500-1600 who are overaggressive/inconsistant on a good day and the gent in red, maybe the gent in yellow as well, would get worn out by 10 yr old Austin Elston when he was 1300ish. I don't think either of the two gents' games were materially affected by their choices in blade/rubber. The gent in yellow could do the same thing with a premade equipped with Flextra. Any offensive 1700 & above player from the DFW area would punish those long serves and slow to medium loops. Southern Texas must be a little easier to get to USATT1700. I take nothing away from the gent in yellow. He clearly earned and deserved his win. As for TBS or Korbel, an U1700 player could learn from either with many coaches telling the player to go Korbel. Why not? It is dirt cheap new. I think the TBS is a way better blade period, but that is me talking about what is better for me, not someone else. I win more points with the TBS with the potential to keep the progress going past USATT 2000 and that is what counts for me. I have a very similar KTS LEO (low end of OFF range) all wood blade Khoan gave me from his visit to Korea, which I have been using for a few weeks while I wait for my replacement TBS to come in. I do the same stuff, albeit with a different feel. I simply like the heavy, stable, stiff, yet controlled feel of the TBS over the all wood blades I have used. TBS with an allround offensive rubber is very controllable and can be used for a number of strokes/styles throughout a lot of playing levels.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 1:42pm
The gent in yellow got his ratings in tournaments in Austin and Fort Worth (Texas Wesleyan ).  At Texas Wesleyan he beat a 1500 ish Austin Elston and an 1800 ish Merideth Elston.  Feel free to check out his ratings history at USATT ratings site for some of the other results.

Since he has only been playing a little over a year and only has played in 2 sanctioned tournaments the current rating may be a little suspect.  However, I think he stands a pretty good chance against most 1300 players.  Of course there are styles that exploit the holes in his game so you never know for sure.

Mark - The gent in yellow
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

With the right rubber, both blades can be controllable for the average player.

There are other things to consider, tho... Korbel has a large head size, so it will be head heavy, especially the ST handle. Although they are both similar in terms of top speed and distance you can make the ball go, TBS has a faster/crisper rebound so its better for blocking, and IMO more stable for pushing and serve returns, and better for serving, etc. Korbel will probably have more control on the first loop off backspin and its more consistent with all types of looping. But looping is only a small fraction of a game.

I would go with the TBS. Its has good control with the right rubbers, and there's more you can do with it. Korbel is too soft on some shots like blocking/counter driving IMO, and its too head heavy.

TBS has better resale value if you don't end up liking it.

Yes, I agreed with LP about the head heavy.  So finding the rubbers to pair with Korbel and make sure it is balanced toward the handle requires time and patience. 

Since I played pip on BH, my setup with Korbel is not head heavy at all.  Another friend of mine who is also a forum member played Korbel with Neo H3 on FH & Palio Macro Era on BH and it felt so balanced as well.

Since mos of us are FH dominant players, we might not be able tell the differences when playing FH between Korbel and TBS.  But the control on the BH between these two are so obvious; at least for me.  My BH shots with TBS are inconsistent and harder to control but some of them are awesome.

On the other hand, I felt more confident with BH on Korbel.  That's why I chose Korbel as my main setup because lots of players push their games against my BH most of the time.

Just my observation.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 2:51pm
think of it this way... if u get the tbs make sure u put some slow rubbers on it, nothing faster than sriver and stick with the blade for a very long time..

if u get the korbel u can start of with slow rubbers and then move up to faster ones once u get better.
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 3:07pm
It seems the general consensus is not to get a TBS, but a Korbel (or in Iconteks opinion possibly slower). Since it's probably better for my game I think I'll go ahead and choose a Korbel over the other and see how things work out. If it turns out how this thread describes, I should have plenty of speed and good control with a blade that will last me a long time.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 5:48pm
I suggest you go with the Petr Korbel, with 2.1mm Sriver EL.

It's a well matched set up, that will enable you to develop your game.

Icontek has a valid point about a slower blade for you to learn your game with , although I wouldn't suggest the Primorac.

My suggestions would be the Samsonov Alpha or Yasaka Extra.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 9:13pm
I have both Korbel and TBS.  I have played with Korbel the longest but once I tried TBS, I still can control it quite well.

However, since I like all-wood blades better than composite blades, I prefer Korbel.  If you are worried that at one time you need a faster blade, well, I'd say Korbel is sufficient for you for years to come.  It is a versatile blade.

But if you are able to choose, choose Korbel made in Japan.  There is another version, made in Hungary, which is OK, but Japanese version is better.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

The gent in yellow got his ratings in tournaments in Austin and Fort Worth (Texas Wesleyan ).  At Texas Wesleyan he beat a 1500 ish Austin Elston and an 1800 ish Merideth Elston.  Feel free to check out his ratings history at USATT ratings site for some of the other results.

Since he has only been playing a little over a year and only has played in 2 sanctioned tournaments the current rating may be a little suspect.  However, I think he stands a pretty good chance against most 1300 players.  Of course there are styles that exploit the holes in his game so you never know for sure.

Mark - The gent in yellow

The win against Merideth changes my view entirely. Might also indicate I am a poor discerner of level watching vids and might also be a sign that I should get out of the business of commenting on levels after watching one vid.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I have both Korbel and TBS.  I have played with Korbel the longest but once I tried TBS, I still can control it quite well.

However, since I like all-wood blades better than composite blades, I prefer Korbel.  If you are worried that at one time you need a faster blade, well, I'd say Korbel is sufficient for you for years to come.  It is a versatile blade.

But if you are able to choose, choose Korbel made in Japan.  There is another version, made in Hungary, which is OK, but Japanese version is better.

Well I plan on purchasing mine from Dandoy, though I don't know which version it is. Their prices are better than most and they have an anatomic handle which is very comfortable to me.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 10:06pm
btw, I like the Avalox B555 and the Yasaka Mark V Special Edition better than the Petr Korbel, as far as well-rounded Limba 5-plys go. Maybe look into those if the Korbel doesn't work out. Tongue

And of course the Nittaku Acoustic is the best Limba 5ply I've tried, but its in a totally different price category.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 10:16pm
I would absolutely LOVE to try an acoustic LOL, but as you said, completely out of the question for now.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 10:47pm
Avalox BT555 is as good as Korbel, but with catapult effect.  Korbel is more linear.  So, if you like a more dynamic blade, then BT555 is better than Korbel.  If you like "what you give is what you get" kind of strokes, then Korbel is better.

If you want something similar to BT555 but with less catapult effect, then P500 is an outstanding blade, a classic !!!
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 10:55pm
These questions should have been asked first:

despotic -
what's you're current rating?
how good to you want to get, in what time frame and how do you plan to get there?

all of these things should be reflected in equipment choice.

if the answers are something like less than US1500, 1-2 years, and play recreationally twice a week, i agree with the poster who said samsonov alpha or gatien are better choices than Korbel for development.

and i'm sorry, mark, i couldn't resist using you as a poster boy for
"doing it right"; i have the utmost respect for your work ethic and what you have accomplished. i've been plugging along all willy nilly for years, and haven't made gains like that 300 point jump in 6 months EVER.

(and APW could likely give you some of the best feedback and acknowledge specifically what you are doing well and where some small tweaking would go a long way).

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2010 at 11:04pm
At this rate, you should have a blade picked out by the next TT World Championship. LOL

I'm telling you, don't over think it. Get a Korbel. You'll be fine, I promise. Wink

Table tennis is a technical sport, but I've come to realize that over-intellectualizing it is as detrimental to progress as gear that's obscenely too fast... which the Korbel most certainly is not.

Korbel with Sriver EL or Mark V and be done with it. It's an inexpensive blade, and a benchmark. Fear not. Thumbs%20Up

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic