Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Training in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training in Europe
    Posted: 02/12/2011 at 11:42am
I'm probably goint to Europe this year and I'm thinking seriously of attending a training camp for one week (or may two or three, depends or various factors).
I know for sure that France has a good quality in junior training (just see Simon Gauzy, Romain Lorentz or Quentin Robinot ) but I don't know if this can be extensible to adult training... (which is my case, as my youthood has gone so long ago...LOL)
That's why I am asking about this program, organized by the GVHennebont club  http://translate.google.fr/translate?u=http://www.gvhtt.com/pro-a-les-articles/&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8.It looks pretty serious.

Do you have personal or first hand expierence with that training camp or similar camps in another clubs of France? And can you compare it with similar programs in the rest of Europe (for instance, Spain, Germany, Hungary http://www.tabletennis.hu) ?

I am asking this because I have mixed feelings about attending a training camp being an adult...I have the prejudice that is all built about young talented kids, that you are not going to have enough personal attention (especially if you are an adult and you have allready gained bad habits for many years in your strokes) and that you would eventually get poorer practice partners than in your local club. So does it worth the money, or I am having a lot of bad prejudice? If I can skipp my prejudices, can I take advantage of any particular training program you know in Europe?

Thanks folks,

Edited by Makelele - 02/12/2011 at 11:44am
Sponsored Links

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 7:49am
Come on guys, don't be shyLOL I know there are many forum members who live in Europe...
tokold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tokold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 10:48am

I have trained in Europe, Romania to be specific at the National training center in Constanta.  I trained with world class juniors and world rank players who have came back home to keep their skills sharp such as Daniela Dodean, Elizabeta Samara, Julia Necula, and Andrei Filimon.  So being an adult is not an issue.

liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2011 at 10:56am
how about Austria ? 
Werner Schlager Academy Thumbs Up
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 8:13am
here ,in belgium there are regularly organized  training camps.I was participating few times and being an adult was not an issue, if you need more attention just ask for it and you'll get it. these camps are always led by at least one or two national players, J.M Saive is also organizing  work shops from time to time
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
MrSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 9:14am
You can actually train at http://www.borussia-duesseldorf.com/ which can be must better in terms of training facility if its ok by the local team. http://www.sporthotel-duesseldorf.de/ is the hotel you can stay at which is intergrated with the training halls and canteens. I visited the area while I was riding from london to munich to get a boll shirt for my girlfriend Smile. I accidently walked into the wrong canteen and disturbed Christian Suss, Baum and Co. My german is ok but I think the center is there second home as they can sleep eat and train there and if you train there then you can watch practice.

There I live now in Munich everything is run by a shop call TopSpeed. They run training programs from daily practice to Table Tennis holidays! http://www.topspeed-tt.com/produkte.php?ID=139&tab=1&SUB_ID=99. You can also get private training but im sure you dont need that.

Suprisingly england is a really good place to play mainly because of the trust. You just sign up and get a key to play 24h a day if you want. http://www.kingfisherttc.co.uk/ Once I met a random player at 6pm on a friday night a day or two after I joined and we ended up training until 4am in the morning (my first club). The best club in london, where I am from, is http://www.ellenboroughttc.com/opening_times.htm. They gave me my first expierance and access to professional coaching. The juniors there will kick your ass and it was my first view that acually there are good youth players in england but then they just study or find some other priority after 16. Part of the coaching setup is also run by http://www.urbantabletennis.com/kop1.php which tour london daily giving trainings in different clubs. It run by an ex hungarian who used to play professionaly in germany, austria and hungary.

Thats all I have to offer from my small corner of the world.

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 1:10pm
Thanks for the replies, guys!

@tokold, I have read somewhere that there is a club in U.S.A. that organizes that kind of trip to Rumania...now I can't remember the name of that club. But anyway, I don't live in U.S.A. and I can't find any web site in English where I can contact Constanta training facility.

@liang, yes, schlager academy looks a great place, but there is very, very little info available in the web. There are a couple of guys in this forum who know people who had been actually there, but they didn't  post many details of the experience

@MrSmash, great! Lost of links, most of them new to me. The thing with Borussia is that the information is in German and if I don't recall wrongly from what I read somewhere, the training camps there are in Europe summer. Summer is a time that attracts lot of kids because of summer vacation, and many fathers send their children to training camps just to "be entertained" during summer time, not for serious training, and what you get is a group with many kids of not so good skills and only two or three challenging training partners.

What took my attention about GVHennebond (where Kreanga and Ryu Seung Ming play, which says nothing about training quality of the coaches of the club ) is that they offer training camps all year round and they say they have a coach for the physical part, a coach for technique and one for tactic....Does sound pretty serious to me if is true... I am surprised that no poster from France (jcdi? fatt?) hasn't post a reply in this thread:(

Thanks again and if there is more information or experiences from friends, cousins, uncles,brothers and so on, let it keep coming!

TheCoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 8:10am

In ZUGBRÜCKE Grenzau – Germany is a good training school from Joola. I’m participating every year and enjoy it very much. They have a good hotel and good food. And price is not bad.

The Grenzau club play in 1-st German Bundesliga (league where Timo Bol is also playing but in other club Borussia-Duesseldorf) and you can also watch daily training of those top players.

Edited by TheCoach - 02/22/2011 at 10:39am
Nittaku Vioncello
BH - Milky Way - Neptune 0X
FH - Tuttle Beijing II 1.8
www.ttdrills.com
Timo Boll2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 1:33pm
Wow, in Spain,France,Hungary etc. there is a galore of table tennis clubs. I`m from Bulgaria and in my town there are 5 clubs so it`s almost sure that wherever you go you will find a club.
            But best, look for a tt club in Germany, especially Munich,Stuttgard and Berlin. In Spain- Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia. In France look in Paris and Marseille.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 1:49pm
http://www.tabletennisacademy.co.uk/5627.html - Bury(near Bolton), England

Bristol Academy of table tennis - http://tabletennis.publishpath.com/club-history -Bristol,England
Graham Spicer TT club- http://www.grahamspicerttc.com/ - London

there`s also a butterfly academies all over Europe. (about 20 in germany)

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by MrSmash MrSmash wrote:

Suprisingly england is a really good place to play mainly because of the trust. You just sign up and get a key to play 24h a day if you want.

Why 'surprisingly' TT has been established in England virtually longer than anywhere else......
The Older I get, The better I was.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 4:07pm
Yeah, true. First played in England, around 1880 !!

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 11:15pm
@timo boll2, thanks for the links to English sites. Concerning specific clubs in Germany, Spain or France, for sure there are a lot of clubs in the mains cities, but I am looking more for special programs, like clinics or training camps, as the ones organized by Joola or Butterfly in Germany.

@The Coach, so you go regularly to Grenzau? Can you tell me how is a typical day? And the ratio of students per coach? I don't know your level, but did you find that there were partners (juniors or adults) that were at your same or better level? It's great to find someone who can give first hand opinionSmile

I have to tell you that I'm surprised not to find any French forum member posting about the program organized by Hennebont club  http://translate.google.fr/translate?u=http://www.gvhtt.com/pro-a-les-articles/&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 as it seems that Hennebont is a very important club and the program looks serious. As a matter of fact, France has nowadays one of the most succesfull group of juniors in Europe, so the coaching system over there should be something to take into account, I guess... 
TheCoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 6:16pm

Hiers are few words about Grenzau.

There are 2 x 1.5 hour TT trainings a day. You can also buy extra individual TT trainings. They organize weekend session (2 days) and week session (5 days). There are groups of 30-40 people and there are 3-4 coaches per session.

There are also some other none TT activities. Then you can use swimming pool or fitness centre. Hotel is good and food is great.

The hall is open 24hours a day then if you can find someone crazy as you, you could play the whole day and night. There is also TT shop with discount for people that are in the camp.

As I said before, you can watch and talk with 1st Bundesliga players, which I find personally (as a coach) very interesting.

The levels of people which are coming to the camp are from beginners to advance players, junior, seniors and veterans. I didn’t saw any semi-professionals or professionals. My level is somehow intermediate and I had never problem with finding a good partner. This is task for coaches also.

One disadvantage is that Chinese coaches there do not speak English but they don’t have problem with coaching you. They just show you everything. In general, I enjoy staying there every time and always learn a lot.

Edited by TheCoach - 02/28/2011 at 3:30am
Nittaku Vioncello
www.ttdrills.com
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2011 at 7:23pm
What are the prices for accomodation, food, coaching?

Edited by prott.co.uk - 02/27/2011 at 7:27pm
TheCoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 3:48am

I just check prices for 2011 and its looks like that for weekends they are from 170-200 euro and for 5 days week camp is 320-400 euro. Price depends on room comfort. This includes 5 nights room and food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), 10 training 1.5 hour sessions, 1 video analyze, 1 multi-ball session, T-shirt and more. This more are swimming poll etc.

For the rest you should pay extra, like individual training: 1 hour 40 euro, massage and what ever.
There is in place also a beauty-spa facility for partner, if (s)he don’t play, but I don’t know what they exactly offer.
Nittaku Vioncello
www.ttdrills.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic