Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Me vs. 1900 guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duchoangle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchoangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Me vs. 1900 guy
    Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:53am
This is a recent practice match of me and a 1900 guy (close to 2000 at his peak). For a better viewing experience, I edited out the service return errors - there were about 3-4 of them per game, mainly because we didn't know each other very well and my opponent's serves are especially tricky, not too spinny but very deceiving. Compared to the opponents in my previous videos (http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41233), this guy is a lot tougher and puts way more pressure on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AND4c_xhq6M

Feel free to comment on whatever you see, but I noticed 3 things: my FH loop off backspin seems to lack power, my BH rally is unstable, and I get caught offguard on the wide FH corner too often, so inputs on these weaknesses are welcomed!

Thanks!

PS: I'm the guy in green

Edited by duchoangle - 05/08/2011 at 12:54am
Donic Epox Offensiv - Tenergy 05-FX 2.1mm (BH) - Tenergy 80 2.1mm (FH) | USATT: 1831
My Videos
Sponsored Links

vali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 2:13am
You have nice forehand though.
But the elbow is to close to the body in most shots.

When using backhand you are not using the rotation of the torso (initially you are not putting the right shoulder in front) , only you hit with the arm , the elbow is too close and then you have no power.

Edited by vali - 05/08/2011 at 2:14am
Clipper
FH: XIOM Vega Asia , max
BH: Yasaka RAKZA7, 2.0
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 2:52am
On forhand loops, you cross your left leg infront of your right too often. Most could have been reached by stepping right with your right leg.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 3:02am
You've obviously spent some table time since your last clip and your progression looks fine to me, you need to drill yr wide f/hand, as said above, you have 'crossover footwork where a sissor step would be more correct. Do you know how to do the falkenberg drill?
The Older I get, The better I was.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 3:07am
Actually, it shows up on the backhand several times also. Makes recovery for the next shot very hard. When you cross over like that, the loop becomes an arm loop, no power.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 8:54am
sorry who is who?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchoangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:39pm
The funny thing is that when I do the Falkenberg drill I never cross my legs like that, but it always shows up in games. Any idea why that happens?

@smackman: I'm the guy in green, starting out on the far side
Donic Epox Offensiv - Tenergy 05-FX 2.1mm (BH) - Tenergy 80 2.1mm (FH) | USATT: 1831
My Videos
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:04am
My coach said don't backup when you are on the offensive, after serving or looping for example.  He said doing is to give up the initiative and give the opponent more time to react to the shot.  Don't know if he is correct though.  I find standing a few feet from the table give me more time and space.  I've also seen pro's doing that.  Ovtcharov is an extreme case.  He jumps back 1, 2 feet after serving. 
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchoangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:57am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

My coach said don't backup when you are on the offensive, after serving or looping for example.  He said doing is to give up the initiative and give the opponent more time to react to the shot.  Don't know if he is correct though.  I find standing a few feet from the table give me more time and space.  I've also seen pro's doing that.  Ovtcharov is an extreme case.  He jumps back 1, 2 feet after serving. 

Well it's not like I want to move away from the table, it's because my opponent forces me to. The bigger the threat, the further I back up. I used to block a lot, but recently I discovered that backing up and spin the ball back onto the table is a more effective defensive method against most players.
My Videos
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

That's funny, my coach told me the opposite.  It might be different for different styles though.  
He had 3 reasons for this:
1.  It's much easier to move forward than move back while staying in a good position.
2.  When I serve I'm really close to the table.  If I stay that close I will be taking the ball too early (especially on my backhand loop).
3.  My loops are typically fast and spinny and if I'm too close to the table, I don't have time to react properly when it gets returned.

He's not telling me to back up 5 feet from the table - just a couple of feet.

pingpongphong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongphong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2011 at 2:02pm
Where r u guys playing at? looks like UTD to me... is that right?
liberty.sky View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liberty.sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2011 at 1:06pm
if you feel lack power, majority of players under 2000 is because you're going over the top too thinly. when you topspin long shots, you need to spin it from the bottom half of the ball punching outwards.

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Xiom Vega Pro / Tenergy 64
USATT 2052
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic