FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Phenomenal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phenomenal.
    Posted: 07/22/2011 at 2:50am
I've recently become enamored with Kong Linghui. I found this match and I wanted to share.

I don't want to ruin it with too many words, but I think it is a great exhibition of two of the most fluid, adaptable athletes ever to play the game.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2011 at 3:17am
Very pleasing to the eye, indeed.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2011 at 3:18am
And another.

Intense drama... back-and-forth... yin and yang... call it what you want, but this match has something that I have not seen in a long time. A "je ne sais quoi" that seems uncommon to encounter anymore.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2011 at 6:09am
kong had class and an air of sophistication in his shot making, truly a wonder to watch, nice anton
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2011 at 7:01am
The Kong training videos are amazing. He made two relatively recent ones with Butterfly. Both great to watch and highly inspiring. He makes TT look so easy.

It must be noted that he wasnt particularly talented (for a top player, hes still probably outrageously talented compared to normal people), so he is proof that with enough passion and hard work, everyone can play well!

For example, not everyone can be Superfast Energizer Bunny like Ma Long (and your body will break like his anyway), but everyone can play smoothly like Kong.

Edited by Vassily - 07/22/2011 at 7:02am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2011 at 9:37am
Kong, to me, was one of the most talented player.
His loops and push BH and FH is very good, his BH block down the line is phenomenal, and his chop block is magic.. He does not have strong serves like Liu but that is precisely why he is the better rally player.
I can't imagine someone saying that he is not "particularly talented".
The fact that he looks slow is because he anticipate every ball, his positioning is first class. The better the player is, the more time he seems to have. He is not slow..
Players nowadays are all about power. Technically Kong is superior.
Name one player that plays like Kong at his level???
IMO, the only shakehand player as enjoyable to watch is Waldner.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2011 at 10:07am
Wow, great matches.
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 1:17am
the match between him and joo in that video is and has always been my favorite tt video... I think Kong had to default because of his arm after that match. It hurts my arm to watch that match, but its so good.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 1:26am
joo was inhuman back then.
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 4:03am
Sure Kong looks like a master of the sport. But let's not forget that his training was also influenced by the time he spent in Sweden, learning from the best. There was a video of him, playing Ma Long, but I guess some benefactor was offended by that being available for free. If someone can find it, please post it here.
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
vvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 4:41am
Download the full match here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=potr1zif
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 10:50am
Kong's mastery of so many shots and brilliant tactical play is breathtaking.

He plays as the ultimate "controlled, consistent, allround attacker" in that match, capable not only of an incredible variety of shots to keep joo guessing, but also the ability to switch between passive and aggressive play in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the link!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 12:09pm
Actully, I remember a Chinese article saying that Kong wasn't that special of a player in terms of talent compared to his compatriots. What it did say is that his success came from lots if hard work and his ability to "link" very well. "Linking" is akin to shot combinations.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 12:22pm
If you refer to LGL interview, he said that Kong has less natural talent when it come to service, LGL even said his serves is amateurish.. But then he added that Kong is the player with the best basic (meaning strokes) in the national team. I read this article at http://www.masatenisi.org/english/roportaj5.htm
If it is not the article you are referring to, I would like to read that article too.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

If you refer to LGL interview, he said that Kong has less natural talent when it come to service, LGL even said his serves is amateurish.. But then he added that Kong is the player with the best basic (meaning strokes) in the national team. I read this article at http://www.masatenisi.org/english/roportaj5.htm If it is not the article you are referring to, I would like to read that article too.

See the bottom of page 2 of this article: http://www.ettu.org/mag/public/pdf/The_stroke_combination_in_TT.pdf

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 1:17pm
It said his power and spin was average but he combined speed and spin very well.. nothing mentioned about his talent.
I can say Ma Long has pretty good power and speed but his spin and FH/BH linking is not very good. But that does not make him less talented player.. Every player has their own strong point. Even Waldner is not that powerful..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Quant View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 3:01pm
A very fine match between Kong Ling Hui and Waldner:

mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 3:14pm
Both are phenomenal.
Kong and Joo.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 3:41pm
I miss table tennis.
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 4:02pm

It said his power and spin was average but he combined speed and spin very well.. nothing mentioned about his talent.
I can say Ma Long has pretty good power and speed but his spin and FH/BH linking is not very good. But that does not make him less talented player.. Every player has their own strong point. Even Waldner is not that powerful..

Uhh...Ma Long is widely recognized as having excellent FH/BH linking, perhaps best in the CNT.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Quant Quant wrote:

A very fine match between Kong Ling Hui and Waldner:
[...]

That was only the first part! Here is how it ends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfFQSORni8o

EDIT: had to remove the embedded link, because the preview frame revealed the final score.

Edited by arg0 - 07/23/2011 at 5:09pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 7:53pm
The newest Kong Training vid: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J1SJBJ4Q . At 7:14 is an especially funny incident.

Theres another BTY one from the past too, when he was younger. That video was my bible.

Edited by Vassily - 07/23/2011 at 8:08pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2011 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

It said his power and spin was average but he combined speed and spin very well.. nothing mentioned about his talent.I can say Ma Long has pretty good power and speed but his spin and FH/BH linking is not very good. But that does not make him less talented player.. Every player has their own strong point. Even Waldner is not that powerful..

Uhh...Ma Long is widely recognized as having excellent FH/BH linking, perhaps best in the CNT.
Well, IMO his BH is his weakness.. Only my opinion of course :p
But my point is that I can't believe someone said Kong is not talented. Without talent you cannot be the best at anything. Kong at one point is one of the best table tennis player.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 12:25am
Read my comment properly Dragon Kid. I did not say he was not talented compared to normal people, I just said he was less talented relatively compared to the other CNT members.
He didnt have the evil genius of LGL for example.

I define talent as the proportion of people in the world, if given exactly the same upbringing, will result in an equal or better player.

Edited by Vassily - 07/24/2011 at 12:27am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 1:16am
As far as I'm concerned, talent is innate and you can do nothing about it. Skill, however, is what any and everybody can work on. To get to the top, you need a good amount of both. At the top, some have more talent than others (many say Waldner was one of the most talented players of all time) while the levels of skill are (or should be) about the same. What kills talented players is when they rely too much on talent and not enough on skill.

Talent - a natural ability or quality

Skill - an ability that has been acquired by training

Definitions courtesy of WordWeb.

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2011 at 3:17am
Vassily, LGL and Kong has different talent. LGL is the best in service and link it with a 3rd ball. Once he gets drag into a rally he is not as good at it. Kong on the other hand is more talented in the basic skills and his rally play. In his heyday the two top players from CNT is Kong and Liu. Given everybody at CNT train everyday at roughly the same amount of time, would you say the other players behind him is more talented than him? That is absurd..

Robot, you can train all you might but if you don't have the talent you won't get far. This is why some people can be better than others with less training time. For example some people in USA can reach 2000 rating in 2-3 years while some will remain sub 2000 for years. X Talent + Y Training = Z skill. If Y is the same than someone with better skill must have more X..

I still stand by my comment. Kong is more talented than probably 99,99 percent table tennis player in this world, past present and future.

Kong is one of my top three favorite shakehand player besides WLQ and Waldner.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic