FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Throw away your blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throw away your blades
    Posted: 09/22/2011 at 4:21pm
Many of us will have blades that are slightly damaged. Ryan Jenkins was disqualified from the Austrian Open for having such a bat. Do you think it was fair?

Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Sponsored Links

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 4:47pm
WOW !
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 4:47pm
can't really see anything, pics too bright
artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 5:02pm
The blade is damaged.

The rules are rules. Now the players will be more accurate with their equipment.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 5:11pm
Another rule designed to increase player spending on equipment.

Big shock there.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 5:21pm
It will teach players to be more careful not to hit the table... If one plays for money, I think it's fair. If it were just recreational play, choice of disqualifying a player should be given to the opponent, at most. At my level, nobody inspects the opponents' blade that accurately and they could hide just about anything by using edge tape.

Edited by arg0 - 09/22/2011 at 5:25pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 5:36pm
I find the decision strange. I wonder if it's a new ITTF policy. The blades of most elite players that I've seen (blades that are > 1yo)  have more chips etc. It was far worse during the SG era.

Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 6:10pm
If this was found before the game, the umpire would do right to force him to change blade. If it was found during the game (due to an accident in the game) the umprie should have checked the bat and then forced him to change bat and continue to play.

As it stands now, I feel like the umpire failed to do his job and Ryan has to pay the price for the umpires mistake. Cause if it would have been discovered during the match, he wouldn't have been disqualified but allowed to continue the match with a replacement bat.
The holy grail
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

If this was found before the game, the umpire would do right to force him to change blade. If it was found during the game (due to an accident in the game) the umprie should have checked the bat and then forced him to change bat and continue to play.

As it stands now, I feel like the umpire failed to do his job and Ryan has to pay the price for the umpires mistake. Cause if it would have been discovered during the match, he wouldn't have been disqualified but allowed to continue the match with a replacement bat.

I understand what you are saying. I am just wondering if this a new policy. 
Whatever the rules are, the blades of pros have tended to be in even worse condition. That is, from what I've seen.
Maybe today's pros change their blades more often so don't have to worry. I don't know.
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 6:45pm

Well its clear that there is a part at the top of the blade that has been damage but it is a disadvantage for him anyway. Rules are made to help us and i can't see how this helped anyone except his opponents. Thats a weird rule and it needs alteration or the umpire needs to learn to apply it properly.

Couldn't they let him use another blade?

chunyenliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunyenliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 7:18pm
The ruling was strange from the description.  I myself am a certified umpire.   Wonder if it was really the whole story about the disqualification.    Was it more like damaging the blade as Adrian Crisan intentionally did a couple of years ago at US Open to switch to another blade?   Or was it because of player's behavior?   Just a blade issue like that did not seem to make the case.  
My free Android app: "Table Tennis Time" at Google
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by chunyenliu chunyenliu wrote:

The ruling was strange from the description.  I myself am a certified umpire.   Wonder if it was really the whole story about the disqualification.    Was it more like damaging the blade as Adrian Crisan intentionally did a couple of years ago at US Open to switch to another blade?   Or was it because of player's behavior?   Just a blade issue like that did not seem to make the case.  
Yes very strange as it sounds like he won a game against someone nearly 140 places better than him on the rankings list, so my thoughts are is he damaged the blade but said nothing and eventually won but on inspection the blade was found to be damaged and as he did not disclose this information....etc etc,
 the other player from the group was also disqualified so maybe they wanted the Korean to win (I hope this isnt the case) 
even with pros bats you would hardly ever see a blade that would look like 100% new after playing in matches, my own bats  are rent a dents lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 10:01pm
Jenkins has damadged his racket against table's edge during play, quite incidentally. Upon inspection on the damadged racket, the match umpire told Ryan to replace his racket for another one.. Jankins got into high fuss, protesting against the umpire's ruling. Tournament Refery was instantly involved into the case who decided to penilize Ryan from the event for a bad discipline.
This is what I was reported about the case from a fellow umpire.

Igor
national umpire
Russia

loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 10:20pm

That's only a very small chip off the wood. Very surprised for the disqualification due to that.

vader555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vader555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 10:45pm
very small chip indeed .. are the rules that strict? or is this the umpire's call?
SchlagerCarbon:Sriver/SriverEL
AndroCarbonLightOff+:AndroCor2/Plasma
Pending:Sardius:Thor's/Thor's
chunyenliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunyenliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 10:52pm
From "igorponger"'s info, it seemed to make more sense.   Then it could be more like player's behaviour issue.
My free Android app: "Table Tennis Time" at Google
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 11:02pm

Sure this closes the case.

Off-topic aren't pros supposed to have a bat for replacement? Why be that stubborn?

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2011 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

It will teach players to be more careful not to hit the table...

The next step would be to disqualify players who systematically hit the table when chopping.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 1:11am
Igorponger's explanation makes much sense and I'm glad to hear he wasn't disqualified just because of the damaged blade. Still, he no longer can use it for competition and has to replace it.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 10:36am
I wonder if they do this at tennis tournaments.  We're sorry Roger...but your racket has a ding in it!
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 11:10am
wow.. u have to be rich to be a pro player!!!
dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I wonder if they do this at tennis tournaments.  We're sorry Roger...but your racket has a ding in it!

Tennis play will bring more than two rackets in a match. They would just change the racket even they found a small crack during the play.

This same go for badminton too. Some of the play will bring close to 20 rackets lol... there is a match where the player broke 12 racket+ string in one full match

Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 2:22pm
he hits the table and he should ask the umpire to change blade coz it was "dammaged".
unfortunately for him he doesn't have a second blade exactly like the first one.

now they check the blade before and after the match...

so if you are not able to have 2 identical blades and you damage one... 
you are dq!

https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Tennis pros have many racquets. And switch very often. Table Tennis players are very picky, even playing with one ball. Unless in chinese super league. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

That's only a very small chip off the wood. Very surprised for the disqualification due to that.

+1

Tons of playable blades I saw have even worse damage. I think someone has complained and umpires were forced to make a decision.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Boss1703 Boss1703 wrote:

he hits the table and he should ask the umpire to change blade coz it was "dammaged".
unfortunately for him he doesn't have a second blade exactly like the first one.

you are dq!

That is what I do - before tournament I prepare two almost identical paddles (diff is usually in the wear on the rubbers) and then use one of them throughout.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

you are dq!
That is what I do - before tournament I prepare two almost identical paddles (diff is usually in the wear on the rubbers) and then use one of them throughout.

It is true about t-shirts as well, you need to have 2 absolute identical t-shirts, if you want to change it during the match.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

(i know, old thread)

same here... it's my new policy... and thus a must to own three Experts so one can always be in rubber testing mode Wink
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2012 at 6:03am
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="623161526"var _AF2$={'SN':'HSSHIELD00NZ','IP':'77.242.196.227','CH':'HSSCNL000232','CT':'XX','HST':'&toAdltIntr=1&FBWCNT=10&NO_FBW=1&SFLAG=1&FW_UA=MSIE/8.0','AFH':'hss196','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'2.25','fbw':false,'FBWCNT_CHROME':0};if(/^(.*,)?(11C)(,.*)?$/g.exec(_AF2$.CT)!=null&&_AF2$.CH!='HSSCNL000242'){document.write("")}document.write("< ='text/' title='AFc_"+_AF2$.RN+"' >.AFc_body"+_AF2$.RN+"{} .AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+",a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":hover,a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}");< ="text/" title="AFc_388">.AFc_body388{} .AFc_all388,a.AFc_all388:hover,a.AFc_all388:visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}< ="text/">AFhss_dpnone{display:none;width:0;height:0}
if(_AF2$.TOP==1){if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000242'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000248'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000249'){document.write("")}else{var m=new RegExp(/&FBWCNT_CHROME=([0-9]+)/g).exec(_AF2$.HST);_AF2$.FBWCNT_CHROME=(m!=null&&typeof(m[1])!='undefined')?parseInt(m[1]):0;if(parseFloat(_AF2$.AFVER)>=2.03&&/NO_FBW_CHROME/.test(_AF2$.HST)==false&&_AF2$.FBWCNT_CHROME<10&&navigator.appVersion.indexOf"Win"!=-1_AF2$.strl=2048;_AF2$.fbw=true."")}}")}} 

you are dq!

I know old subject, but just wanted to say, there is no rule to say you bat must be identical and if forced to change you can use any approved rubbers including long pimples/ thin sponge inverted or any other approved setup

Edited by smackman - 07/31/2012 at 6:04am
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic