Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adidas P5 Performance Rubber Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
comeglan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comeglan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas P5 Performance Rubber Review
    Posted: 10/05/2011 at 10:42pm
  After using the Adidas P5 for several weeks now, playing roughly 3 times a week vs players 1800 and higher, and my conclusion that the Adidas P5 is an AMAZING rubber!  Getting over the fact that it costs just as much as Butterfly Tenergy, I feel that it outperforms Tenergy 05.

Here’s a little background on what my old setups were like.  Earlier this year,  I was mainly using Tenergy 05 2.1 on the forehand and Tenergy 05fx 1.9 on the backhand.  My blade of choice was the Butterfly Michael Maze.  I found that setup was a good setup for my style (left handed all around attacker/looper with a BH punch).  But then I gave DHS Skyline 3 Neo a try, and, in contrast to the Tenergy 05, I found my shots to be more effective and controlled compared to the Tenergy.  I could serve a little bit lower and could pull off lower and shorter controlled loops from around the side of the table.  All in all, I felt that I had found my rubber.  It was cheap, consistent, and was noticeably allowing me to win more points.

And THEN, enter the Adidas P5 Performance Rubber.   My training partner, Channing, was the first one to adopt the new rubber.  His normal setup was the Butterfly Timo Boll ALC with Tenergy 05 on both sides. After a few days of playing with it, he said it was better than Tenergy, in that it was lighter and had more bite.  To me, that was not enough of a reason to make a switch, given the fact that it was 3 times more expensive than the Skyline 3 Neo.  But then, as we were doing our table tennis club hopping, trying to conquer one club after another, he gave me his paddle and said, “play with it for the rest of the day.”

I gave it a shot and right away, I noticed that the ball trajectory was very fast and straight off of a ‘top of the bounce’ warm up rally; which is pretty much the case for all of the newer tensor rubbers on the market.  And then I tried looping a few.  The balls came out very fast and sharp, dropping very drastically on the other side of the table.  ‘Maybe it was just the placebo affect’, I thought to myself.   And then the game started.  This was the first time I playing this opponent, but he was the ‘1900’ rated player in the club, so I had to try my best.

Needless to say, I plowed through that guy, generally ending the point with a 3rd ball loop.  But when the rallies started to become prolonged, I noticed how much he had to go on the defensive just to keep the ball in play.   Also, I noticed my heavy pushes seemed a little bit heavier, although a bit deeper than normal, but I think that had to do with me being used to the Skyline 3.

Since then, I’ve been using the Adidas P5 exclusively and I am very pleased.  Because its maybe 10-15% lighter than Tenergy 05 and definitely a lot lighter than the Skyline, I can swing a bit faster.  It also produces a massive amount of spin when you really crank the ball.  It also produces a very nice and consistent arc when looping.  Not too high of a throw, compared to Tenergy 05, but good enough that it clears the net when doing more of a riskier ‘below the table loop’.

I have discussed these attributes with my fellow Adidas P5’ers and they all agree that it is an amazing rubber.  Much better than Tenergy 05 because of the following:

1.  Good speed
  2.  Excellent control
  3.  Lighter than Tenergy
  4.  Spinnier than Tenergy
  5.  Good consistent arc

It’s been almost a month of hard playing and training with it and the topsheet still looks brand new.  One thing I did notice about this rubber is the quality control.  The rubber comes in a very nice package with protective plastic sheet, moisture absorbent paper, and another plastic sheet with the rubber sandwiched between the 3.  And the sponge has a perfect grade and consistency, unlike the Chinese commercial rubbers.  And there’s nothing more beautiful than rocking this Adidas logo!

Original post and images found here

http://www.mtagsports.com/wordpress/2011/10/06/adidas-p5-in-depth-review/

Edited by comeglan - 10/05/2011 at 10:44pm
Nick
Ping Pong is More than a Game!

Sponsored Links

comeglan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comeglan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2011 at 11:31pm
Nick
Ping Pong is More than a Game!

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2011 at 11:55pm
Can you buy this in America?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 12:17am
As usual with expensive products - you'll know shortly if it's actually better than or equal to Tenergy 05 as you'll see professionals switch to it.
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 1:01am
ordered a couple sheets of adidas R6 from here: http://www.indiatabletennis.com/adidas-p5   they are good seller received my package within 2 weeks.and the price is considerably cheaper than tenergy.approx.$41us per sheet.  there is free shipping when total is above approx. $100us dollars
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 1:06am
North American Table tennis
Joola North America

http://www.pongsquad.com/
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 2:06am
I want INDEPENDENT review...why not to make open forum testing of this rubber? MTAG is so poor ? I hope here are not so much of the emploees working on Adidas rivals  
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
stoic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 4:51am
I can second P5 as a good rubber as my team mate said its good, and if you shop around it's significantly cheaper than Tenergy. I use R6 on my backhand which is the closest rubber to glued up hammond I have found. Still searching for a glued up H3 replacement though...
http://www.static-sounds.com
Check out our tunes!
r7racer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r7racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2011 at 9:01am
We have a review survey on our facebook page at:

It's down a few posts, so just search for survey on that page and if you've had the chance to test the P5, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

We're waiting for a few more surveys (online and in the LA/SoCal Area) so we can put up the results on a new review page.

If anyone wants to try in in Southern Californa, send a pm to me or comeglan and we'll set a time/place up.
parhelia9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parhelia9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 3:58am
what about the speed and spin compared to T64  .... 
return to XIOM amadues (little mozart)

FH :XIOM TAU I
BH :Cornilleau Pulse Racer
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 4:29am
honestly this is the only rubber i havent tested. i think ill just order from indiatabletennis
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
apflor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apflor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by patrick1v patrick1v wrote:

ordered a couple sheets of adidas R6 from here: http://www.indiatabletennis.com/adidas-p5   they are good seller received my package within 2 weeks.and the price is considerably cheaper than tenergy.approx.$41us per sheet.  there is free shipping when total is above approx. $100us dollars

Glad to hear shipping didn't take too long for you. It has been a week already on my order, and it's still processing.
T05/Treiber Z/Rasant Powersponge
FEEDBACK HERE
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 3:45pm
Also check out apexsportspune.com for P series rubbers. They are pretty much the same as Indiatabletennis
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 4:15pm
Thanks for the review. 

I must get my hands on some P5!
zhijie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhijie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 6:46pm
Any one knows what's the uncut weight of P5? Thx.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 8:20pm
probably 62-64 grams

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
zhijie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhijie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2012 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

probably 62-64 grams

Thx

speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 6:08am
I think adidas p5 is just as good as acuda s1. Not better, not worse. Very similar, but with a slightly higher throw.
Blade : TBS
Rubbers : sriver g3 fx 2.1 BH/FH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic