Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Critique my game #3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2012 at 6:59pm
Seems like you're playing pretty good!  You're forehand seems very consistent.  :)

I agree with an above post that the recovery speed of your forehand attacks needs work.  I imagine if some players block your 3rd ball forehand loop quickly you'll have trouble hitting the next ball. 

Anyway, keep it up!  :D
Sponsored Links

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2012 at 1:14am
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice!  My second day at the tournament didn't go so well, didn't win a match.  In fact, I'm kinda embarrassed that I didn't even win a single set :(  I really shoulda beaten the lowest rated player I played on Sunday, an 1875 guy, but I do tend to struggle vs. his style(control player), as they tend to discover my weak backhand quickly and force everything there effective.  If I step around, they'd hit wide to my FH, and right now I just don't have the consistency to overpower them.  Anyhow, with my best win being against an 1810 guy and my worst loss being to an 1875 guy, I expect my initial rating to be somewhere around there.

Anyhow, I'll try to record another one soon and see if I can get some more advice!  BTW, working on recovery has really helped me quite a bit in FH rallies, I'm gonna have to get my BH up to speed and then work BH recovery and FH/BH transitions into my game more.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 6:03am
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

So, it’s been a few months since my last video post asking for critique.  Thanks to everyone once again for giving me some very good advice!

Previous threads:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42471&title=critique-my-game

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43991&title=critique-my-game-2

I’ve been able to make some improvements in technique, mostly in the following areas:

1)      Backhand – My BH loops have become more powerful, and I can launch them more naturally now without thinking.  Still far from being fluid, but I’ve made some improvements in both power and control.

2)      Forehand – I ended up completely revamping my FH motion, especially against backspins.  Right now, I think my new motion is still a bit stiff and limited to the arms(gonna have to work on these), but it’s helped a ton regarding consistency and placement.

3)      Footwork – I’ve made some improvements in this area, though it’s been coming on slow.  At least now I can step around to hit FH shots much more often, resulting in me attempting less BH shots.  I still get lazy too often and stop moving though.

Grip - Almost forgot to mention, I also made a fairly big change in my grip.  I used to have very different grips for the FH and BH.  On FH, I used to have the index finger ride almost vertically up the rubber, and I held the handle fairly low.  On BH, I used to hold just the bevel, very loosely, with the thumb and the index finger so my racket could rotate quite a bit in my hand.  Now, I have the same grip(standard shallow grip, with the thumb on the bevel and not the rubber) for both FH and BH.

For comparison’s sake, the following two videos are against the same opponent I played in the last two threads.  At the time of the first thread, I beat the guy once in basically never.  At the time of the second thread, I beat him maybe once in 10-15 tries.  As of now, thanks in no small part to everyone’s help, I’ve finally risen above him!  These days, I basically never lose to him as long as I try and I’m not trying out some drastically new equipment/technique.  Anyhow, here are the two matches I played against him last night(2nd match's audio sync is a bit off):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3fgM3GCVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKI9keKFlQ

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks!

You have improved a lot since the first video, to the point you look like a different player.

Forehand is good but it seems you could use your body a bit more. It looks like you think a lot before starting the swing.

The racket also seems better, now it seems to have dwell.

The pace of the game is very slow. I would like to see your recovery time against a close-to-table blocker with inverted rubbers. In general I'd like to see you against a good push-blocker. And I'd like to see you in fast rallies, to see how you change from forehand to backhand and viceversa.

Kudos for the improvement! :)
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 12:16pm
FH loop mechanics- The follow through on your stroke is causing your CG to shift to the back limit. You seem to be on the verge of falling off balance at he end of almost every shot. No doubt this has a big impact on your recovery time as you are using valuable time recovering your balance. I think part of the reason for this is because you are using a lot of muscles in your shoulder and upper arm to generate power for the swing instead of the legs and torso.

A suggestion that may help is to "fold" at hip more. Make the angle formed by the right shoulder, hip and knee more acute on the back swing... Hold on. Just look at this vid of a kettle bell swing and imagine it is your loop stroke. Pay attention to the shoulder, hip and knee coordination. By the way this is how I weight train for my loop. Works really well because swinging the weight makes your more aware of momentum during the stroke. If you were swinging a weight the way you normally loop you would quickly realize how your stroke is taking you off balance. If you try this make sure you do not use a heavy weight to begin with(no more than 10-15lbs or 5-7kgs).

Swing starts at 1:20.

Edited by V-Griper - 02/18/2012 at 3:25pm
L2Pivot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L2Pivot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

FH loop mechanics- The fallow through on your stroke is causing your CG to shift to the back limit. You seem to be on the verge of falling of balance at he end of almost every shot. No doubt this has a big impact on your recovery time as you are using valuable time recovering your balance. I think part of the reason for this is because you are using a lot of muscles in your shoulder and upper arm to generate power for the swing instead of the legs and torso.

A suggestion that may help is to "fold" at hip more. Make the angle formed by the right shoulder, hip and knee more acute on the back swing... Hold on. Just look at this vid of a kettle bell swing and imagine it is your loop stroke. Pay attention to the shoulder, hip and knee coordination. By the way this is how I weight train for my loop. Works really well because swinging the weight makes your more aware of momentum during the stroke. If you were swinging a weight the way you normally loop you would quickly realize how your stroke is taking you off balance. If you try this make sure you do not use a heavy weight to begin with(no more than 10-15lbs or 5-7kgs).

Second this.

Your large backswing is causing you to go off balance meaning that you are only limited to your arm to make a decent stroke.

What you want to do is to make your hitting area (or 'power pocket' if you've seen any of Brian Pace's videos Ermm) further in front of you. This means you can use more of your body mass to pile speed onto the ball.

Take Zhang Jike's backswing for example. No matter how high the ball is, he still winds it up somewhere near his knee. That way, he ensures he always hits the ball in front of him with the most power possible:

Or you can always switch to a Euro forehand and chicken-wing it relatively risk-free. Tongue

-YEO FL-
(DHS H3 Neo Provincial 40°)
(Butterfly Tenergy 64)

★★★★★
中国,加油!
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2012 at 12:28pm
My back hurt just from looking at that video. But I can see the relevance to developing a powerful loop.
Good find.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic