Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: BBC 7-14-7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gmarziou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmarziou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: BBC 7-14-7
    Posted: 04/10/2012 at 6:14pm
Brand: BBC (Blades By Charlie, www.bladesbycharlie.com)
Model: 7-14-7
Handle: FL, with scoops
Weight: 81 g
Face dimensions: Attack I, 157 x 149 mm
Thickness: ~7.5 mm
Plies: 3+2, ie, WRC 1.78 mm + carbon + WRC 3.56 mm + carbon + WRC 1.78 mm
Rubbers: Tenergy 64 FX 1.7 mm on both sides

This blade is a variant of BBC 9-10-9 (which is built the same way, from the same materials but with thicker outer plies and thinner central ply).

I told Charlie I was looking for a lighter alternative to my Darker Speed 90 (89 g), he proposed me to try this 7-14-7 blade.

In comparison with my single-ply hinoki, it has a higher throw angle and feels a bit harder but I like it because I get more feedback in the hand without bad vibrations.It's lot easier for looping (good combination with T64 FX), verygood at blocking and flicking.

The only strokes I must be more careful with are heavy under spin pushes and flat hitting probably due to the higher throw, but it willimprove over time as I adjust. In fact, it's more a problem on FH than on BH, if I can't adjust I may swith to T25 FX.

I truly enjoy the handle, it is very comfortable with the scoops and is such a beauty with its white lines.

Overall, it's an excellent blade for close to the table offensive game.It's not really a replacement for the Darker Speed 90 but it sounds familiar, with the Speed 90 my game is more speed oriented while with the 7-14-7 it's more loop oriented which is something I was looking for.

I'd be curious to compare it with a 9-10-9 or JimT's Ultima plus.

Charlie did a great job and he is such a nice person to deal with.
Thanks.

Gael

BBC 7-14-7 with Tenergy 64 FX 1.7mm on both sides
Darker Speed90 with Tenergy 64 FX 1.7mm on both sides
Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 9:23am
very nice looking blade. thanks for sharing those pics.

the next time you're in the U.S. you can try out my 9-10-9's to compare Smile
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by gmarziou gmarziou wrote:

I'd be curious to compare it with a 9-10-9 or JimT's Ultima plus.

Your blade is very similar to Ultima (not Ultima Plus) because Ultima is 7-16-7 (89 g). I was exactly looking for a blade that is a tad thinner than my Darker Speed 90 because I wanted a slightly better looping and still retained great blocking and speed of DS 90.

Ultima would be is a tad faster than your 7-14-7, a little better in blocking - in other words, a little closer to Speed 90.

My advice to you is to sell 7-14-7 to a more allround-oriented or to stay-close-to-the-table player - it will be great for him... and then order Ultima (7-16-7) from Charlie, just make sure to tell him he needs to keep the weight at 89 g (that's the best he was able to do with Ultima). You will have to wait a bit till he finds a proper light-weight piece of wood but it is worth it!

Also - you might want to try to make your Tenergies a bit thicker - 1.9 or 2.1 to compensate for some lack of speed on your 7-14-7.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
gmarziou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmarziou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 4:35pm
I am a stay-close-to-the-table player by nature because I'm in wheelchair. ;)
Right now, I'm happy with the speed I have with my new setup but I'll keep in mind your advice.

BBC 7-14-7 with Tenergy 64 FX 1.7mm on both sides
Darker Speed90 with Tenergy 64 FX 1.7mm on both sides
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic