FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Donic Acuda S2 vs Tenergy 05 FX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Donic Acuda S2 vs Tenergy 05 FX
    Posted: 04/18/2012 at 4:47pm

This is a comparison of a 2-month old T05 FX v/s a new Acuda S2 (both max sponges).

Blade: TBS (St handle)

Playing style: Two-winged looper

Rating for which this review shall be applicable: USATT 1600 – 1900

Rubber on the FH: T05 (max)

Relatively objective factors:

Physical impression: The S2 has a softer topsheet and a harder & thicker sponge than the 05 FX. Both topsheets are grippy, not tacky

Weight: I was surprised to find a big difference – my S2 was noticeably lighter than my 05 FX on the blade. This, surprisingly had a huge effect on my review

Throw: It is lower than 05 FX (which is lower than 05) but it is still high enough to comfortably loop against strong backspin. The loops have a nice arc. Bear in mind, this is with a new S2 (I don’t know if the throw changes over time like it does with the Tenergy 05 & 05 FX)

Consistency: I found S2 to be as consistent as the 05 FX. With the 05 FX, I’d make 24 out of 25 BH loops with the error loop going out of the table. With the S2, it’s the same accuracy but the error loop going in the net

Accuracy / placement: S2 > 05 FX. Perhaps this is because of 05 FX feeling a bit mushy on the TBS

Spin: On low powered BH loops, S2 > 05 FX. On medium & high powered loops, 05 FX > S2

Kick off the table on loops: 05 FX is clearly better here: S2 has relatively almost no kick

Subjective review:

I was expecting the S2 to be a cheaper substitute of the 05 FX. However, they are different and each shall suit a distinctly different style / ability of player.

My hands are weak – I bicep curl using only 20 lb weights. I thought that a few grams lighter rubber wouldn’t positively affect my game much but I was surprised to find a big impact. With the 05 FX, while I would cock my wrist for the BH loop, I couldn’t play much of a wristy game. And I always had to involve my FH snap in the BH loop. With the S2, in a rapid fire exchange, I can just rotate my wrist and away she goes. I can play a wristy short game with the S2 better.

Part of the reason of the relative easiness in BH looping with the S2 is also due to the nature of the topsheet and sponges. With the 05 FX’s softer sponge and harder topsheet, I find that I have to engage the sponge more to generate spin. This means more dropping down of the hand before looping increasing reaction time relative to the S2. Even though the 05 FX has a harder sponge, it is difficult to brush loop with it (I can brush loop with the 05 on my FH all day).

I could also notice that the blade was no longer balanced (with 05 on the other side). I’ll have to replace my 05 with another lighter rubber (probably the R7 or S1)

I would not recommend S2 as a FH rubber (while one could use 05 FX on the FH). The reason is that the amount of spin on medium & hard loops is less and more important, the kick off the table is a lot less. S2 also seems to bottom out (05 FX does too but at greater impact while still generating better spin & kick). More rubber weight is a negligible problem on the FH.

Bottom line, I’ve read that the S2 deteriorates fast but assuming that Debraj’s patented PO treatments work fine, I surprisingly found that the S2 suits my game more than the 05 FX (which means I would prefer the S2 were they both at the same price brand new). This was unexpected to me as I like to loop and was very comfortable looping with the Tenergy with hardly any misses. I love the extra control, more reaction time and ability to use more wrist with the S2. I'm surprised as I was a bit worried reading seguso's review that I would not like the S2. I found S2 to be consistent and even though I was used to Tenergy's high throw, I did not have to change my game much to adapt to the S2.

If you’re 1900 or above, have reasonable strength and have good loops, 05 FX would be much better than S2 as it has a great kick. Lower than 1900, S2’s lower weight and better accuracy seem to help more.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic