Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whole table multiball please comment!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whole table multiball please comment!
    Posted: 06/06/2012 at 8:02am

Please give me comments!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 8:26am
Nice.
I can't wait to have my training area back......

It feels to me that you are not moving your waist enough that can help generate more power and spin in your FH.

I also think your body weight transfer is very soft- based on your footwork movements and the weight transfer. Kind of feels that you are just using the upper body to return the ball.

I guess if you incorpate the above two points, you should also be able to get into position for the next shot a lot ealier (after completion of your previous shot - a single move into the next ready positino). At the moment you are talking an extra second to move into position (thus an extra move) for the next shot.

Maybe lowering your body weight can also give you more speed and spin when incorporating the above 3.

Wink
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 8:54am
Your paddle is ending too low and you're crossing your body on the FH. 

1) Paddle ends at forehead level.  Like you are saluting.  Drill yourself by touching your forehead with your paddle at the end of evey FH stroke.

2) Also your upper arm should end at a 90 angle from your trunk.  Right now looks like your arm is too close to your body.

Right now you're just borrowing the spin and speed of the robot.

3) Start your FH is to start your swing by putting your paddle at table level.  Right now your cocking it all the way below the table, but the force of your swing doesn't require that much motion. If you were 6 feet back it would be okay.  But you're 1 feet back from the table. 

DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Please give me comments!

bh looks good.

for fh:

I think you are not using your left arm and torso. the pull should start from the left arm. it is the pull from the left arm which should cause the torso to rotate, and only in the end the right arm snaps. it is like throwing a punch: first the left arm snaps, causing the torso to rotate, and in the end the right arm snaps.

also, I think you should increase the frequency of balls, because your forehand swing looks too wide and slow.

Edited by seguso - 06/06/2012 at 10:00am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 9:59am
bend a lil lower with head forward and butt goes outward, bend knees more and your follow through should be a salute and ends at the side of your head
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 10:09am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

bend a lil lower with head forward and butt goes outward, bend knees more and your follow through should be a salute and ends at the side of your head

Do you mean by bending a lil lower, the followthrough would no longer be slightly to the side and would naturally go to the side of my head like a salute?
-------
Viscaria

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 10:18am
BH looks okay but at times it looks like you're poking out your elbow a bit too much.
Your FH is using arm only. Need more shoulder and torso rotation, motion should be smooth and controlled (at this stage of your training). You should focus on hitting the ball correctly and slow down the frequency of your robot if that's what is needed.

Position is a bit too high, like other people have said. Must bend down a bit more, spread legs a slightly bit more.
Also on your FH you frequently do a little hop after your FH and it looks like your weight lands on your right foot. It's okay to have a slight majority of your weight on your right leg when doing the FH but at the end of the stroke most of your weight should be on your left leg.
When practicing this weight shift should be smooth and controlled, not explosive. After a while it will become muscle memory and then you can work on making your stroke explosive.
During basic training, control and a smooth stroke is much more important.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Do you mean by bending a lil lower, the followthrough would no longer be slightly to the side and would naturally go to the side of my head like a salute?
It would give you more forward momentum in the swing.  You see for the FH you want to practice rubbing the ball with the upper arm movement in practice.  It generates more spin to bring the ball back down on the table with the most consistency.

If you think of the swing as pivot points, you have 3 in your arm.  Wrist, elbow, shoulder.  Right now in the video your only using your elbow mostly.  So if you ever play a person who generates topspin with shoulder, elbow, and wrist you'd be at a disadvantage in a rally.

You want to make contact with the ball further away from your body.  It's to train for more coverage.  If you can cover more of the table with less footwork you are at an advantage.  Not to mention you can generate more topspin that way.  If you're jammed you can compact your swing to be mostly elbows like we see in the video.

Also your paddle crosses your body, to more advance TT players they see that as wasted motion.  Once you make contact, energy is transferred.  So instead of wasting energy on the follow thru, you should spend that energy getting your paddle ready for the next ball.  

Right now your putting some side spin on the ball because your pulling the racket across your body.  Depends on if that is what you want to do with the ball.  Most people during training want to learn how to put their hardest, fastest shots on the table, which require topspin and not much side spin.

You don't need to make the frequency faster, it's just that some people see the speed of the robot balls and assume the next ball should be coming back sooner, like in a FH to FH rally.

I would keep the frequency about the same.  If you can slow it down that would be good.  If you can get a mirror on the other side of the table to check your form that would be best.  The goal is to really master the topspin.

Edited by power7 - 06/06/2012 at 10:52am
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 11:36am
That's a lot of improvement!!! Especially on the backhand. The shape of your arm is near standard and your wrist flex/extension timing is good. The only thing I would add is scapular protraction and more torso turn. This will allow you to accelerate your swing and keep your arm muscles as relaxed as possible,  which will make your stroke more fluid. Just remember shoulder leads the elbow(I actually prefer to think of the scapula area instead of the shoulder), elbow leads the wrist and wrist leads the paddle.

Scapular protraction starts at 32secs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rRIz6oOA0Vs 

Reference: Kreanga discusses shoulder rotation at 3:32. Once you know what you are looking for you will see it in all the good players. The shoulder rotation will also help with ball timing.

On your forehand I think you need to supinate your arm more(point the tip of your elbow more towards the floor), and stabilize your shoulder joint(scapular protraction again). This will strengthen and stabilize the connection between your upper torso and your arm and create the appropriate angle between the torso and arm. This will, in turn, allow you to transmit more of the power you generate from your legs and torso into your arm. Right now the tip of your elbow points back. Imo this causes you to rely to much on your shoulder and bicep muscles to generate power.

Torso rotation is actually a twist that is accomplished by "folding" the inguinal crease(the crease between the torso and the thigh L and R)

The best way I can describe it right now is that it's the acute angle formed by the knee, groin and opposite shoulder. Example:
FH- right knee, right side of groin(inguinal crease) and left shoulder. 
BH- left knee, left side of groin(inguinal crease) and right shoulder.

Imo trying to alternate form one to the other, while keeping the knees separated,  is how the weight transfer and the alternating twist of the legs is accomplished.

Sorry vids would not embed. 

Edited by V-Griper - 06/06/2012 at 11:42am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 4:21am
@power7 and In terms of a sort of horizontal swiping stroke, i can't really stroke hard with that slow setup(5ply wood with deadish wornout chinese rubber) without it... it seems like WLQ is using a similar stroke during his warmup too in this video as well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoROPKeBANM
it seems to provide more power and control for me than just a straight forward stroke(like Waldner's) for me at least...:( it doesn't necessary produce sidespin although it can produce heavy sidespin easily if needed...

the comment on upper arm being 90 degrees to the body is really good, thanks for it! seems like I've been locking my upper arm too much during the followthrough, which leads to a loss of power...

@power7, gatorling,seguso, ZApenholder 
You're right that my stroke is way too big for close table... the problem is that my elbow should be relatively fixed in terms of its position during the windup, I'm moving it way too much....this might be the cause of my power problems too... as not fixing the elbow really kills off the power transfer from weight transfer and torso rotation.

Also bending lower is a bit hard for me to do currently with my right knee just recovered...(I wasn't really able to do it b4 too, it's quite demanding on the leg muscles, which i'm working on). 

In terms of longer wingspan, I think I'll implement it a bit later coz it's relatively easier... :) One by one I guess...

@V-Griper, i know what you mean by using the shoulder to lead the stroke, I also use it a lot, however in fast topspin exchanges I can never find the time to use it, I basically only use it for strokes where I have time to blast the ball...Maybe when I'm a bit faster... 

@All...Thanks for all the insightful and helpful comments! I'll be thinking about all these points for my next practice session!

-------
Viscaria

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 10:45am
Uhm WLQ is 181cm tall.  You look like somewhere between 165cm - 170cm tall.  So you can see why he doesn't need to raise his arms as high when he does his FH, to generate the same amount of topspin.  But he gets it up to his face level, not shoulder level like the swing in your video.  But then you'll notice when he retracts his stroke the blade goes down quickly, not horizontally, so not to block his eyesight again.

But if you will take note:  He is 3-4 feet off the table when he winds up.  Also his upper arm makes the distinct 90 degree angle with his trunk at the end of the stroke.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Uhm WLQ is 181cm tall.  You look like somewhere between 165cm - 170cm tall.  So you can see why he doesn't need to raise his arms as high when he does his FH, to generate the same amount of topspin.  But he gets it up to his face level, not shoulder level like the swing in your video.  But then you'll notice when he retracts his stroke the blade goes down quickly, not horizontally, so not to block his eyesight again.

But if you will take note:  He is 3-4 feet off the table when he winds up.  Also his upper arm makes the distinct 90 degree angle with his trunk at the end of the stroke.

Yup you're right... i just noticed that the only reason my stroke doesn't go up to face level is that i'm locking my upper arm excessively, when the upper arm forms a 90 degree angle with the trunk then the stroke would be correct.

Btw I'm about 171cm tall, just a bit shorter than Kong Linghui who's 173cm, should probably learn more from him than from WLQ...
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic