FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Video of myself for critique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 5:14pm
Much better loops now but return to "Ready" position after each loop. Dont leave your bat up by your head.  Smile

Edited by Hookshot - 03/31/2013 at 5:15pm
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Globe999 Globe999 wrote:

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I have made a list and will work on it.
Of course I came down with a cold, so I may be delayed in my efforts.
I have been practicing serves for now.
I was able to get a couple minutes of video of my loop against backspin.
The angle isn't the best, but I don't have much space on that side of the table.

I was concentrating on the grazing, and on keeping my feet moving.

I already picked up that my racket looks like it starts behind me, and that it should be by my knee.
And that I am not returning to ready position, standing up with racket up after my stroke.
And I am having trouble creating the "explosiveness" of the swing.
Any other problems seen?  Besides stiffness and lack of relaxation, I may never be able to cure that.

You really need to whip your arm - it seems like it's dragging.  I had a similar problem and my coach at the time helped me with.  It's a little unorthodox and it's not something you want to do too often because you can develop bad habits with it.
Basically he told me to stand still, and not to use by body at all (I told you it was unorthodox) and loop with just my arm.  Do not do it for a long time or too often - it's meant only to get you to use your arm more.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 9:55pm
I think this might be a better model for your FH counterhit. Note that paddle does not go above the head on the follow through. Also note the pattern or shape of the stroke. More like a triangle with rounded corners or scooping first down then back for the take back. 

Model for your BH counterhit. The stroke you are doing is more of a drive BH which is, imo, not the BH stroke to start with. 

On your FH and BH short pushes you need to decrease the ball feed frequency so that you actually recover fully by stepping back, then stepping in again. In other words one stroke cycle starts at the ready position, then stepping in, contacting the ball and then recover back to ready position. This is an underrated part of the game. You can win more points at your level with a well executed push than you will with a loop.

Example of why you should to do this.

Imo it is a good idea to do one thing per day i.e. FH counter hits With variation on day 1 of your training cycle. BH counters with variation on day two etc... Basically you want to have one complete sleep cycle in between each stroke category. This gives your brain a chance make sense of the skill you are trying to acquire. You can also go into more detail on your stroke technique and have more time to try out all the forum suggestions.

Example:
Day-
1 FH CH Variation can be placement and or movement/footwork.
2 BH CH Same variations as FH
3 FH Push same variations as FH and BH emphasis on step in and recovery.
4 BH push with variations
5 Service practice
6 Alternating between BH and FH with placement and foot work variations 
7 Spin variation. Set your robot in different spin directions and practice getting the feel for spins you might encounter in games, like side spins, side top, side under etc. 
8 Set your robot up to serve to you and practice your returns, Especially long serves to the BH(various spins) as this starts to become the go to serve(my experience).

I did not include looping in my example because I think getting these fundamentals down is a more effective use of your time. If your goal is 1400 then I would not worry to much about foot work. If you intend on laying down a foundation for play above 1800, or you just want to look awesome, then you will need to add a day or so for specific footwork training. 

Pick up a copy of breaking 2000. Principles would apply. 

zeio's  comment about kinetic chains is right on target.   This also why should use some of your training time to go over your mechanics in detail.

Edited by V-Griper - 03/31/2013 at 9:57pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:55am
Your head is moving/turning way too much with the body. It should be more still, facing forward and only slightly to your right, not turning all the way and facing your right side like that. Track the ball more by moving your eyes.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 1:38am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

You really need to whip your arm - it seems like it's dragging.  I had a similar problem and my coach at the time helped me with.  It's a little unorthodox and it's not something you want to do too often because you can develop bad habits with it.
Basically he told me to stand still, and not to use by body at all (I told you it was unorthodox) and loop with just my arm.  Do not do it for a long time or too often - it's meant only to get you to use your arm more.

It's not unorthodox - it's what the best player in my club teaches.  Most of the power for your close to the table strokes (and part of the power for all strokes) should come from the elbow (and wrist).  Look at the Waldner exercise posted below.

OP is learning to generate power from his body and to reset to ready position with his body.  It has its strengths for learning how to time the ball.  But it has practical limitations for real game play if he is going to do that close to the table and without the arm because the stroke has no power but is a very stable block.  OP should look at the Waldner forehand topspin video for another model.

By the way, stroke technique varies from person to person.  The amount of wrist JO uses on his stroke would make some people on this site with "Chinese Ma Long power loops" go crazy!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic