Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bluefire JP 03 Review!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluefire JP 03 Review!
    Posted: 07/24/2013 at 12:08am

Ok, here it is! Between moving to NC and getting everything finalized and prepared to move to Taiwan (I'm still not finished yet Angry), I have not gotten around to writing the Bluefire JP 03 until now, as well as the Victas V>01 (check for that thread later today/tonight).

I primarily used JP 03 on my BH, in 2.0mm. I will make comparisons mostly to the Bluefire M3.

Look & Feel: The JP 03 is a very pliable flexy rubber sheet. Out of the package it bends and flexes very easily with your hands, more than the M3. Many people believe the pores are not as large. I disagree, and I'll explain why: I believe that the pores are more uniformed in the JP 03, while the M3 had more irregularities in its sponge's pore-size. This means that the size of the pores in JP 03 would all be close to or equal in size, while the pores of M3 would have some that were nearly twice the size as others right next to them, and thus the sponge's pores lack uniformity. Therefore, the feel of JP 03 is more linear and not as hyperactive as the M3 was, because the uniformity of pores produces a more uniformed response. This is just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to disagree if they like.

Also, the overall feel was a little bit harder than M3, but not drastically so.

Speed & Power: I'd say that the JP 03 had a slightly greater top-end speed than M3 because of the increased firmness of the sponge, but had less of a "pop" on the low-gear. However, I like this because I felt that M3 was way too "jumpy" and hyperactive on low-gears, so having the increased linearity of JP 03 was welcomed. Overall, I'd say JP 03 has just as much power as M3 (just a little more on the high-speed shots), while allowing for greater and more controlled variations of power on lower-speed shots.

Spin: Just as much as M3. No noticeable change here.

Throw Angle: No real change...maybe 5% lower, though that might just be my imagination.

Blocks/Counters: Better with JP 03, imo, due to the increased linearity of the power.

Chops: Not something I do during my game, and I'm not good at it, but I try it on rubbers for fun during practice and test sessions. M3 was terrible for chopping, but JP 03 seemed to provide some decent results, though not as good as Vega Japan did when I was testing it.

Overall: I prefer the JP 03 to the M3 ultimately because I felt that it had more control in all areas of the game. The original M series generates more power with less effort, but I think many players will appreciate the more linear response of the JP series, especially in the short game. If you felt that the M series was a great rubber, but too jumpy and hyperactive in the short game, then I suggest trying the JP series.

Thanks for your time, guys! Stay tuned for my review of Victas V>01.

- YY

Edited by 128YinYang - 07/24/2013 at 2:36pm
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2013 at 1:54am
very nice review, thanks 128YingYang!Thumbs Up
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2013 at 8:40am
thanks for the review. My buddy and I play with M3 on the BH and were pretty much deciding on not giving the JP 03 a chance since some people have posted negative reviews, but I think I may give it a try now. I was worried the spin wouldn't be as much and the throw angle would be too low, but sounds like it's not. Thanks again for the review.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2013 at 2:39pm
Acuda Dave, I do not think you should expect too much difference from the JP 03 except a more linear response (and thus a better control of power) in the short game. However, it has been about 6 months since I used M3, so I do not know if I would see more differences if I had been using it immediately before I tried JP 03. But for the most part, they seemed pretty similar, with the JP version being more linear and slightly firmer. Hope this helps.

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 9:49am
I've been experimenting with various setups in the last few weeks to get a grip on JP-03, so I'm A/Bing it with M3.  They really do feel quite different.

I agree with 128YinYang in that JP-03 is harder, more linear, much less bouncy.  I think this adds up to more than a slight difference myself.  Not necessarily worse, just different.

IMO, M3 on medium or hard blades feels a bit unstable sometimes.  On my FH wing, I don't mind that because I'm looping most things hard anyway.  Here it's awesome - massive arc, easy spin, etc.  Easy to get a big click sound going, and you know you've ripped a good shot when you hear it.

On the other hand, JP-03 feels really, really stable - rock solid.  It has less spin in the lower gears - noticeable on serves, for example.  You have to work harder to get spin in low speed shots.  Short game is much easier.  Much harder to bottom out.  Arc is lower, tighter (but not low - just lower than M3).  On harder shots the spin is high.  Easier to use?  Probably.  Less dangerous?  For me, yes, but YMMV.

The lack of bounce is the thing that trips me up.  I block and punch into the net a lot, and you have to open the blade face quite a bit.  This is so different to M3 - I've become very used to having a very closed blade face for these shots.

I remember the same feeling with Vega Japan - low bounciness.  So I went back and tried that out on my backup blade, and it feels somewhere between M2 and JP-03 to me.  Harder sponge than JP-03, but with the glossy topsheet of the original Bluefire line.  Smells a bit of the original Bluefire tuner too, which JP-03 does not have.

So I suppose I'm saying - if JP-03 isn't a good fit, try Vega Japan (if you don't mind the harder sponge).
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2013 at 8:13am
@AndySmith
Very illuminating as always.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2013 at 4:30pm
If you like Tenergy 05fx on the backhand but you don't like the high throw or the extra sensitivity to incoming spin than jp03 is the perfect fit and keep in mind that is my humble experience.
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2013 at 12:19pm
I agree with 128YinYang on almost everything - from bounciness and low gears to overall speed and control.

Andy is correct that on the lower gears JP-03 sometimes is slowish but that shouldn't be a problem for Tenergy lovers (who look for a replacement) - they gotta be used to that kind of behavior by now.

As a BH rubber I didn't like it at all. Much preferred it on FH. Main reason - it is not good at quick blocking and slow pushes.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
redyborde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redyborde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 2:45am
What should i pick between Jp-03, M3 and Barracuda? 

I play close to the table, looping, pushing, blocking. Better BH than FH, pretty much used to soft rubbers with all wood OFF- blades like Primorac/Premium Contact. Fair enough technique but terrible footwork. 

Thanks!
roulage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roulage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 4:35am
Played with all mentioned rubbers.
Baracuda-sensitive to incoming spin, dead feel in slow loops, really good in block and chop, higher throw
JP03-testing this week again, similar to bararuda in dead feel when looping slow, medium or medium - throw, good in harder loops, passive block inconsistent because of dead feel, better active block
M3-good in all aspects, but sometimes too springy, need more practise to get to use to it, really much spinny (in slow loops too), for me is M3 the best choice, i am the same type-close to table player
Photino+Andro Plaxon
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 9:06am
m3 is seriously spinny rubber,for me personal this is the best in M series.

Haven`t tried JP seria yet.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 9:48am
Hello, which would you rate as the closest update from a BF JP03, the Vega Japan or the JP02?

I'm gonna stick one on a Hypertouch, which is known to "soften" rubbers. I loved the JP03 topsheet (on a Viscaria), so am looking for something similar, yet firmer.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 10:07am
Vega Japan's topsheet is more along the lines of the Bluefire M line, which is slightly harder than JP03's topsheet. VJ has a harder sponge too.

JP02 has a similar topsheet feel to JP03, but looks to have taller pips. Also, JP02's sponge is a different type to JP03's, as well as being a bit harder. JP02 is lower throw than JP03, and noticeably faster.

If you don't mind the lower throw, JP02 is probably your best bet out of the two options you've given.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 4:50pm
Thanks Andy, I was precisely hoping you'd answer.

I'll start off with an old sheet of JP03 and work from there. I need to control my urges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic