Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: DHS Hurricane 3-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Please let me know if I've missed anything, I will happily share my thoughts.  Cool

Nice review.

Edited by TonyL - 11/01/2014 at 5:00am
Sponsored Links

tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 11:06am
Big thanks for shopping at tabletennis11.com!
PS. If you did not know then we offer a 10 euros discount coupon for a newsletter signup. You can sign up here: www.tabletennis11.com/newsletter . Saves you 10 euros on your next order. :)

Originally posted by al3ash8 al3ash8 wrote:

I just received my DHS Hurricane 3-50 today form tabletennis11.com they are best tt shop I did deal with
the topsheet is tacky and the sponge medium hard H37 and it's look like tenergy sponges!
you can see the pores in the sponge
i'll try it on my BH next week   

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 12:07pm
I also want to point out that H3.50 is nearly 2 grams heavier than the H3BS cut.

And I'll be holding on to all my blue sponges for now still - I may return to them in the future when my game improves and calls for something more powerful ;)
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 12:42pm
Nice review schen! After reading your review, i've ordered 2 pieces of it to try on my crw and kokutaku :-)
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 6:20pm
Nice review, thank you schen but very disappointing at how it still requires speed glue/boosting. The whole point of this rubber was so you DON'T need to do anything to it. More reviews and opinions need to be posted but from what you say this rubber has definitely let down a lot of people who don't want to boost.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Nice review, thank you schen but very disappointing at how it still requires speed glue/boosting. The whole point of this rubber was so you DON'T need to do anything to it. More reviews and opinions need to be posted but from what you say this rubber has definitely let down a lot of people who don't want to boost.

+1

I'm thankful for your review, but would like to hear how it does after a week of use without boosting. 

Again to complain, it should be the TA1 sponge, not the TA3 sponge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 7:19pm
if ttnpp.com will have it i think i'm gonna buy one from them and review it
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 9:01pm
Got it!  I just put 2.1 black forehand, 2.0 red backhand on my trusty clipper CR wrb FL legend (87 grams)

I haven't had a chance to play, and probably won't till later in the week, sorry guys.  But here's my initial impressions:

Feel of the rubber on bouncing is deader than I expected, this is a good thing.  Topsheet is quite tacky, holds the ball longer than a month-old sheet of nittaku h3 neo - I was expecting less tacky.  Black rubber looks pretty bad - has that cloudy look of an h3 neo provincial.  But looks don't matter - its still very tacky and probably will go away with use.  Red sheet looks beautiful, very juicy.  Bouncing everything is in line with what I expect from H3, nice bite and pop in the topsheet, a little bit softer feel overall.  This rubber is on the heavier side - probably has added 8 grams to the setup.  A good point for me right now - when I bounce the ball I get a clear feeling in my hand, this is different from say Spin Art / Tau where there is less hand feeling on the same blade.  I'm quite excited to be honest.  Maybe the faster, hard clipper CR will change some of the impressions Steven had untuned (I'm too lazy to tune, I just want something I can put on and be done with)

beeray I was definitely bummed out when I saw the red sponge on the black sheet - cmon guys, really, this is H3, I keep double taking and thinking its a tenergy.   However I've tried tin arc + tin arc 3 and I think the sponges are the same apart from color, its the topsheets that are different.  I might be wrong about that, but my overall feeling from this rubber is more in line with what I remember about tin arc (softer than H3 39, but on the harder side overall)

berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 11:21pm
man mine have still yet to arrive, did you guys order from tabletennis11?
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2014 at 11:25pm
I've ordered some stuff on Friday from tabletennis11.

They still haven't shipped it yet.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 2:27am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I think a carbon blade or fast wood blade would compensate for what I felt the rubber was lacking in place of boosting.  I'm going to give that a try on something faster with another sheet of h3.50 sometime this week.

Also played with it some more today at work to compare it with my backup setup with h3BS and I feel like H3.50 rounds out my game.  My strength has always been being able to put the ball away through good service/superior short game touch and sheer offensive power when attacking, although my blocking and rallying were somewhat poor.  H3BS played towards my strengths while leaving my weaknesses open, but H3.50 takes a bit away from my strongest shots and brings the weaker aspects of my game up to par.  I'm still trying to decide if I like this about H3.50.

At the moment I still have better results with H3BS in match play, but I enjoy playing with H3.50 more. I feel like the biggest reason H3.50 alters my game so much is how soft and bouncy its sponge is.  Hopefully when I get accustomed to it I'll once again be able to produce the same kind of power and touch like I had with the H3BS but with the improved aspects of the game I gained through using the H3.50.

I meet with my coaches and have some much more serious training later this week on thursday and friday (1800-2300 level players) than I've had with the level of play at the club I work at (mostly 1300-1400 level players).  I'll know for sure after that if H3.50 is a keeper for me.

Edited by schen - 04/01/2014 at 2:28am

Dynasty / H3 / H3
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 5:54am
Mine have just arrived! Still excited to try them out on both wings. Shame they didn't arrive yesterday - my league season is over and our training night is Monday. Will be a week before I can try them properly. I'll try to sneak some robot time in before then...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
TonyL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 5:56am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Mine have just arrived! Still excited to try them out on both wings. Shame they didn't arrive yesterday - my league season is over and our training night is Monday. Will be a week before I can try them properly. I'll try to sneak some robot time in before then...

That's the worst! Cry

I bought a Rosewood NCT V almost two weeks ago, and I was keen to show others of it in my club but it still hasn't arrived.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 6:35am

I also want to point out that H3.50 is nearly 2 grams heavier than the H3BS cut.

And I'll be holding on to all my blue sponges for now still - I may return to them in the future when my game improves and calls for something more powerful ;)
Hi Schen are you a good level player?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2014 at 6:39am
He must be. They have an excellent TT club. The video produced by Steven is quite professional

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2014 at 8:50pm
bump, any updates from ppl who have got their's? still waiting on mine
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2014 at 5:31pm
i also have my shipment hanging in the middle, my tracking said it's departing Estonia on 4/1 but since then there is no update...

For those who has ordered from TT11 before, how long does the package take to arrive?
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2014 at 5:52pm
So I just got back from a lesson attempting to use the H3-50, and my coach told me to go back to the H3BS with good reason.  It seems that H3-50 doesn't suit my stroke very well, and it became really apparent when I could only loop 5 quality balls with H3-50, but 20+ with H3BS.  I had better success pretending H3-50 was tenergy and making my stroke more compact, but my naturally more extended swing is rewarded much more by using H3BS.  I could get away with using the H3-50 against lower level players, but against my coach and higher level players I couldn't put a single ball away convincingly.  

I was however able to win many more points than normal by smashing the ball instead of looping, which makes me think H3-50 is better suited for hitters?  But, hitting is not a very prominent stroke in my game so I will be returning to the H3BS I think...  However I might try one of my spare sheets on my chopping blade :P

EDIT:  I feel that H3-50 should have nothing to do with the Hurricane series - it plays very differently and requires an entirely different approach to use it effectively.  I would recommend this only to players who prefer soft sponges (h3-50 feels as soft as a tenergy fx after boosting) but want a tacky topsheet.  It feels like a BTY spin art with a harder top sheet but softer sponge, but nothing like a hurricane.

Edited by schen - 04/03/2014 at 6:01pm

Dynasty / H3 / H3
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

i also have my shipment hanging in the middle, my tracking said it's departing Estonia on 4/1 but since then there is no update...

For those who has ordered from TT11 before, how long does the package take to arrive?

The first time I ordered from Tabletennis11 my order never arrived because of a postal problem.  TT11 was gracious and responsive in refunding my order because of that.  The last order I made took only 5 days to arrive to my address in NYC (amazingly fast).

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2014 at 6:57pm

I had better success pretending H3-50 was tenergy and making my stroke more compact, but my naturally more extended swing is rewarded much more by using H3BS.  

seems like it would be a nice transition from using tenergy
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2014 at 12:46am
So, DHS would do a great service to the community if they release their H3 and H2 0X topsheets for free sell.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2014 at 2:13pm
Here's a pic of a few DHS rubbers:

From the top down, we have:

Skyline TG3 Neo - Black
Tin Arc - Red
Nittaku H3 Neo - Black
H3-50 - Red

I've had a 2 hour robot session with the red one, unboosted, on a Viscaria, with the Nittaku H3 Neo on the other side for comparison. I like it so far - it's more forgiving on bigger shots than regular H3, and has more of a modern arc to the flight of the ball (up-down rather than a flat, skiddy one). It does lack top-end speed, which may or may not be a problem depending on the speed of the blade. It's slightly bouncier than the H3N in the short game, but that's a very slight difference - it's nowhere near as bouncy as ESN/Tenergy.

Further in comparison to the H3N, it lacks that metallic crunch feel when hitting hard. I get the impression (as schen said) than passive blocking is going to be an interesting experience.

Serves really well. If you play with big swings from mid-distance, and actively close to the table, it could definitely work. It produces good spin and arc, but loses speed when driving. This makes it feel safe and secure, but I wonder how threatening it will be?

I'm looking forward to getting a human at the other end of the table next. It's definitely a hybrid - H3 on an elastic, modern sponge. But it might be too slow...
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

it's more forgiving on bigger shots than regular H3, and has more of a modern arc to the flight of the ball (up-down rather than a flat, skiddy one). It does lack top-end speed, which may or may not be a problem depending on the speed of the blade. It's slightly bouncier than the H3N in the short game, but that's a very slight difference - it's nowhere near as bouncy as ESN/Tenergy.

Further in comparison to the H3N, it lacks that metallic crunch feel when hitting hard. I get the impression (as schen said) than passive blocking is going to be an interesting experience.

Serves really well. If you play with big swings from mid-distance, and actively close to the table, it could definitely work. It produces good spin and arc, but loses speed when driving. This makes it feel safe and secure, but I wonder how threatening it will be?

I'm looking forward to getting a human at the other end of the table next. It's definitely a hybrid - H3 on an elastic, modern sponge. But it might be too slow...

Well said.  I had issues using it effectively against better players that I didn't have when I used the regular H3.  If paired with a low throw and fast carbon blade, I feel this will make up for problems in speed.  I put mine on a TB ALC-cpen FH instead of my YEO for now and will try it again today.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2014 at 3:34pm

If paired with a low throw and fast carbon blade, I feel this will make up for problems in speed.  I put mine on a TB ALC-cpen FH instead of my YEO for now and will try it again today.

You know, it's funny. Before your test, I was thinking that a YEO would be a good all-wood for H3-50, but now I can see that it needs something faster/stiffer/harder than that. Some of the hardwood Stigas might work, or a Ma Lin Carbon.

I like the "raw" feel of the Viscaria when I use it with tensors, and it works well with the H3-50. But the harder feel of the Boll ALC might be a better match overall, so I'm looking forward to the results of your next test!
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2014 at 6:20pm
I'd think a rosewood blade might be able to balance this rubber out :-)

I'm going to put it on my rosewood clipper when it arrives.
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

I'd think a rosewood blade might be able to balance this rubber out :-)

I'm going to put it on my rosewood clipper when it arrives.

Ooooooooooo yeah. That's the stuff.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2014 at 10:59pm
Well I think I give up on H3-50, still doesn't work for me on the TB ALC.

It is my opinion that H3-50 would best suit hitters, as I've never had an easier time with that than with any other inverted rubber.  But for making any sort of threatening loop, I would pick my old H3BS any time.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2014 at 3:46am
@schen

I want to know if H3-50 is basically using the same sponge as Tin Arc's because I find that sponge a tad bit too soft for me.  

I am all about looping balls and just today I've been working on my fh loop drives (speed) more and for some reason I find H3 Pro to lack power. 

Edited by O! Ju Qian - 04/06/2014 at 3:47am
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2014 at 12:54pm
I have no used Tin Arc so I cannot confirm that.  However I would advise you to stay with H3Pro if that is your aim, it is more stable on powerful loop drives in my opinion.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
el gato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el gato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2014 at 4:00pm
H3-50 is faster than h3 comercial?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic