Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new grip for bad hand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new grip for bad hand
    Posted: 01/01/2024 at 12:56pm
After developing a hand condition that I cannot fix so far, surgery will likely be the only solution. I can't clinch a fist; but at least snapping the wrist in a air bh loop does not hurt anymore. I did not want to switch to left handed nor getting into the hell of a custom handle made of papier maché and other gimmicks, especially when clubs are so far from the new company I joined almost a year ago.

Fast forward a few months... stumbled on a random picture of Lily Zhang, her grip took my attention. I can definitely hold the paddle tight enough that way (with a little adjustment) and imagine the adaptation will not be the end of the world despite the limitation (Surely Lily adapts her grip depending the situation).

I had found that solution before seeing the picture below but wrongly discarded it, not having enough faith at the time. My only adjustement is a more bh oriented grip and the 3 fingers on the handle are pressing further on the side of the handle so they have more handle to wrap around, ensuring a tight grip. Adding handle wrap with a lot of overlap between turns will help even more. My favorite is the Wilson tennis grip, each roll covers 2 handles and adds 4 grams so thinking about about 6+ grams.

Anybody using this grip? Have you had to swith to such a grip at some point for the same reasons? Is it so unidimensional I'll be the shadow of my previous self? "So what? you will be no matter what" a little voice is answering Tongue.

Knowing that a champion uses something close is definitely motivating. Also, as I am moving less and less, a bh oriented game seems to be a smart evolution anyways.

Thanks for reading if you made it here.

Edited by stiltt - 01/01/2024 at 12:59pm
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2024 at 1:29pm
hi stiltt

her grip seems pretty normal and does not show any excessive tension so based on that I would say its fine

however your words:
"I had found that solution before seeing the picture below but wrongly discarded it, not having enough faith at the time. My only adjustement is a more bh oriented grip and the 3 fingers on the handle are pressing further on the side of the handle so they have more handle to wrap around, ensuring a tight grip."
the above gives an impression of emphasising the tightness of the grip and being overly concerned with the precise position of the fingers and so on. Of course if I am mistaken you may well be ok
relaxed soft grip is main thing
good luck
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2024 at 1:55pm
Thanks, the paddle wants to fly away if I go for a shadow pratice aggressive bh loop with my old grip so I had to find tightness to keep it in hand. Yes, I like to hold the paddle just enough so it stays with me :). The reminder is always valuable for touch though, I will keep that in mind as I will prolly be shy at first.

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2024 at 5:33pm

Progressive grip vs Classical grip
Take the advantage of relaxed wrist.

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2024 at 10:09am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

After developing a hand condition that I cannot fix so far, surgery will likely be the only solution. I can't clinch a fist; but at least snapping the wrist in a air bh loop does not hurt anymore. I did not want to switch to left handed nor getting into the hell of a custom handle made of papier maché and other gimmicks, especially when clubs are so far from the new company I joined almost a year ago.

Fast forward a few months... stumbled on a random picture of Lily Zhang, her grip took my attention. I can definitely hold the paddle tight enough that way (with a little adjustment) and imagine the adaptation will not be the end of the world despite the limitation (Surely Lily adapts her grip depending the situation).

I had found that solution before seeing the picture below but wrongly discarded it, not having enough faith at the time. My only adjustement is a more bh oriented grip and the 3 fingers on the handle are pressing further on the side of the handle so they have more handle to wrap around, ensuring a tight grip. Adding handle wrap with a lot of overlap between turns will help even more. My favorite is the Wilson tennis grip, each roll covers 2 handles and adds 4 grams so thinking about about 6+ grams.

Anybody using this grip? Have you had to swith to such a grip at some point for the same reasons? Is it so unidimensional I'll be the shadow of my previous self? "So what? you will be no matter what" a little voice is answering Tongue.

Knowing that a champion uses something close is definitely motivating. Also, as I am moving less and less, a bh oriented game seems to be a smart evolution anyways.

Thanks for reading if you made it here.

The middle finger around the throat of the blade is not unusual.  Kong Linghui does it and Carl Prean has his middle finger way up at the blade face.  KLH is not a huge BH looper but his BH control is pretty good.  Carl does LP hitting on his BH.

Although you did not specify your hand condition, it sounds scary if it requires surgery.  I had a short term hand injury from a cut that prevented me from gripping the blade properly.  I had two solutions if it is of any help to you.

1. Looping on either side was a problem so I became a flat hitter.  Think Teng Yi and Johnny Huang but with both sides inverted.  It was fun.  I only looped against underspin and only to start a topspin rally.  Of course, I also served mainly sidespin topspin.

2. I tried penhold with just RPB and without TPB for some matches.  It was actually fairly easy to adapt.  The grip pressure areas are different so it helped not aggravate the cut.  Again, no looping so just flat hitting and soft opening loop against push.

Best wishes with your hand injury and I hope you find a way to continue enjoying TT.

Edited by BeaverMD - 01/02/2024 at 10:11am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2024 at 3:50pm
Thanks BeaverMD, After another set of cortisone shots that did as much as spring water gets me drunk (OK, I realize that some mountain nutjobs find it spiritually exhilarating - I support and admire their mindset - but you get the idea), I see that new hand doctor again on the 10th. That Seattle clinic specializes in hands only and my hopes are high (2 people I trust were super satisfied with them). In the worst case I can live with the disability since I can type and do everything normally, it's just so frustrating when a doctor is puzzled (because it affects one hand only...), MRI next I think, we'll see.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2024 at 5:31pm
Back in the day this was referred to as a high grip. The opposite was a low grip, where there is a gap between the head of the racket and the web of your index finger and thumb.

How do you grip the racket? Do you use the three fingers on the handle, or is most of the pressure between the index finger and the thumb, with the other three fingers along for the ride?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic