Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A training match of myself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 5:47am
Good horse stance.
Sponsored Links

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 6:30am
@qynthnghm: alright, sounds a little strange but ok :D

Actually I just realized that my backhand chops are impaired because when I wait for the ball I put my weight on my left leg which is supposed to be moving (stupid me...), I should have put most weight on the right leg so I can quickly "leap" to my left side so I can get ready for my opponent's loop.
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 12:50am
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

Actually I just realized that my backhand chops are impaired because when I wait for the ball I put my weight on my left leg which is supposed to be moving (stupid me...), I should have put most weight on the right leg so I can quickly "leap" to my left side so I can get ready for my opponent's loop.

Is that when you are moving left and back for your backhand chop? I always thought you were supposed to skip off the left foot and then follow with the right, so that the right foot steps to where your left foot was. It's like a basic movement in both fencing and JKD for rapid forward and backward dashes.

Maybe it might sound strange, but that is what the stance is called in Chinese martial arts; having your feet set wide apart and "sitting" down with the back straight for stability and balance (similar to riding a horse). For example, Timo Boll has an excellent horse stance when he prepares for service return.

Edited by qynthnghm - 04/26/2011 at 12:51am
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:13am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Is that when you are moving left and back for your backhand chop? I always thought you were supposed to skip off the left foot and then follow with the right, so that the right foot steps to where your left foot was. It's like a basic movement in both fencing and JKD for rapid forward and backward dashes.

Maybe it might sound strange, but that is what the stance is called in Chinese martial arts; having your feet set wide apart and "sitting" down with the back straight for stability and balance (similar to riding a horse). For example, Timo Boll has an excellent horse stance when he prepares for service return.

Oh now I understand, you mean I bent my legs down well ? LOL Okay, cool cool, a little confusing term but alright Tongue Anyway about the movement when chopping on backhand side, I normally put too much pressure on the left leg when waiting for the ball which means that the ball might just go straight to my body or very wide to my backhand. In case it is wide to my backhand and I'm already having a lot of weight on my left leg then I can't move to the left because I'm stabilizing my body with that leg. But now that I know my problem, when I wait for the ball I would put more weight on the right leg so that I can push myself to the left if needed and then all the weight will be transfered to the left leg again during the chop Big smile
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:26am

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Oh now I understand, you mean I bent my legs down well ? LOL Okay, cool cool, a little confusing term but alright Tongue Anyway about the movement when chopping on backhand side, I normally put too much pressure on the left leg when waiting for the ball which means that the ball might just go straight to my body or very wide to my backhand. In case it is wide to my backhand and I'm already having a lot of weight on my left leg then I can't move to the left because I'm stabilizing my body with that leg. But now that I know my problem, when I wait for the ball I would put more weight on the right leg so that I can push myself to the left if needed and then all the weight will be transfered to the left leg again during the chop Big smile

I think you're right. It works both ways but I confused the direction of movement. When anticipating a forward dash, the weight should be on your back (left) leg (if you're right handed), and for backward dashes, the weight should be on the front (right) leg. Note that you should try keeping (and pushing off) on the ball of your right foot instead of just planting all your weight flat-footed on the ground for greater agility.

Either way, your form is impressive and you should continue making video updates. Smile
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:31am

Thank you! I did play my defensive game rather badly during the match :D I have to admit that, the chops are high because I chop the balls too early and I'm trying to fix it as soon as possible.
You have a nice all-round game , I like your modern defender attitude but why would you want to try and chop a serve thats gone past the end line when you can easily loop it (and you did at times) you should be attacking when you can rather than being a target lol ie you can chop a topspin and have a good effect but not usually a service recieve
 I don't know how anyone could rate your partner as no-one could see him (I take that back if you changed ends as I only watched the vid for a while)
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 1:48am
Judging by his partially-seen hand, I would say 1800+.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:42am
@qynthnghm: oh....now I see, you're talking about forward movement while I'm talking about sidewards movement :D hehe....mis-understanding.
@smackman: thank you! I didn't change the camera angle so maybe next time I will use two cameras to make things easier. Anyway, the reason I didn't loop is because I wanted to play safe (that's bad) but also the playing area is very limited and I don't want to hit my racket or my head to the wall so that's my only viable option Big smile
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 2:46am

@qynthnghm: oh....now I see, you're talking about forward movement while I'm talking about sidewards movement :D hehe....mis-understanding.

Even for sideways movement, the footwork I described can still apply, except instead of putting weight on the stabilizing back foot and keeping little weight on the ball of the leading foot, the weight would be distributed evenly on both balls of the feet for quick lateral movement. Cheers.

Edit: Should note that obviously the weight cannot be kept always on the balls of the feet as that would be a great strain overall on the legs. I meant that the push-off motion from side to side must start from the balls of the feet. Embarrassed

Edited by qynthnghm - 04/26/2011 at 2:49am
joanet261 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joanet261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2011 at 7:33am
First of all, well played.
I think the first thing you should try on working is your body movement when you play the ball, especially when playing your forehand. Most of the times, you should start the movement with your body a little lower, and then move it upward in the direction you are playing the ball (more up if it's a topspin against backspin, and more front if it's a countertopspin), as it would allow you to make less arm movement. Also think you should have to put your upper body a little less parallel to the table, again specially with the FH, but that could be the camera angle.
  With your pimples, in the return of the service try to push a little more, as you will give more speed and effect to the ball, and when defending far away of the table maybe try brush the ball a little more, you will see that it gives a lot more effect.

Keep training hard
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2011 at 1:09am
this guy is a great player but he is not pb's lvl and definitely not over 2000.  i wud say hes about 1700 to be fair.  
Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic