FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Video] vs. my training partner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ituning.technology View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:07am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

hm, switch to Primorac off- and 2x sriver fx/el 1.9mm...( oh, I forgot, boycott butterfly, use some cheaper equivalents), learn all needed shots, body physics, develop good consistancy, your own playing style, and then go for different bat.

Primorac off- and Sriver fx/el is complete garbage. . .I would rather play with a clipboard. I am sure he can develop with the setup he has now, The Primorac will just make him play worse. . .
Equipment:
blade: JOOLA Tusk FL
rubber: JOOLA Custom Drum 2.25/ JOOLA Rhyzm 2.25
Sponsored Links

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

IMHO you guys are trying to copy pro players too much!

what do you do? copy sh*t players?

The goal is to play better, and never hurts to dream high. 
Equipment:
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

I only watched the first game. You guys really strike a good pose. But it all breaks down after the serve. As others have said, it looks as though you simply need loads of practice.

Tinykin_2 Well said.
Equipment:
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:14am
I would work on incorporating returning with the backhand and backhand loop. 
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

do this - play with money on the line. That will quickly trim down the fat and frills from your game. 

lol, that sounds like a good plan, maybe we should play for money as well. =]
Equipment:
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:19am
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

I am a bit surprised with comments in similar topic of another forum member. I am not sure about the US rating system. But his game is way worse than onhgourami and people are talking about 1700 Rating and consistency in his shots and loops. If I didn't watch the video and just read comments I would think he is a really strong player.  

I agree with you on this one, on the forum, every talks like they are pros. 
Equipment:
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:02am
Originally posted by ituning.technology ituning.technology wrote:

I don't understand why you are being so incredibly defensive on ohhgourami's behalf. Did you create an account just for that? Skyline was just giving his honest opinion and a legitimate criticism. Now here's mine; there isn't any inherent harm in emulating professionals (we've all probably done it to an extent), but a player should try to develop his basic skills and eventually discover his own style of play rather than focus on looking pro. That's a surefire way to embarrass yourself especially when your strokes utterly lack consistency. You have entirely missed the point.

If you want to play like the Chinese, you should train like them. And before you miss the point again, I don't mean copy them.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:04am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I am super confused. Can he block or not block?
I don't recall your training partner blocking much in the match?
Is it because you didn't hit the ball to him?  Or because he failed to move to the ball?
I am confused.

And disregard fruit loops comments about what you want from a blocking partner. You want someone with a solid enough block that they can "clean up the ball" and provide you with the same shot to repeat again and again until you can develop consistency. You don't want them varying speed and spin and throwing off your timing/learning process.

This little story reminds me of the last time I had the chance to hit with a  "great blocker" where I could practice re-looping (i think i made it as far as 6-8 times in a row, i don't think i had the consistency to do ten). It was a 1900+ player who had very good control. And don't get me wrong, the guy can certainly rip the ball, but he also happens to have the consistency and control to place good ball after good ball.

I figured it made more sense for me to ask him to practice something specific than to play a game. Playing a game is a waste of his time; at least blocking my loops, he gets to practice his control against erratic amounts of spin.

He can block by landing it on the table but he can't give a consistent block.  No rhythm.  And it's not like I do not give a consistent loop.

He doesn't block much in this match because I don't give him the chance to block.  Either end the point at short game, play his fh, or give lots of spin to his bh - none of which he is comfortable with.

Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:06am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

I am super confused. Can he block or not block?
I don't recall your training partner blocking much in the match?
Is it because you didn't hit the ball to him?  Or because he failed to move to the ball?
I am confused.

And disregard fruit loops comments about what you want from a blocking partner. You want someone with a solid enough block that they can "clean up the ball" and provide you with the same shot to repeat again and again until you can develop consistency. You don't want them varying speed and spin and throwing off your timing/learning process.

This little story reminds me of the last time I had the chance to hit with a  "great blocker" where I could practice re-looping (i think i made it as far as 6-8 times in a row, i don't think i had the consistency to do ten). It was a 1900+ player who had very good control. And don't get me wrong, the guy can certainly rip the ball, but he also happens to have the consistency and control to place good ball after good ball.

I figured it made more sense for me to ask him to practice something specific than to play a game. Playing a game is a waste of his time; at least blocking my loops, he gets to practice his control against erratic amounts of spin.

He can block by landing it on the table but he can't give a consistent block.  No rhythm.  And it's not like I do not give a consistent loop.

He doesn't block much in this match because I don't give him the chance to block.  Either end the point at short game, play his fh, or give lots of spin to his bh - none of which he is comfortable with.

Any chance you can find a robot to play against?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:09am
A training tip is, get a really slow setup and play with it. Your opening shot will not win you the point, and you will get to work on footwork and rallies in game. 
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:24am
I have no access to a robot
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:14am
you should both switch to slower equipment, as I said in previous comment, which will force you to develop better shots and use of body, also points will last longer so you can practice various loops, blocks, hits...
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:22am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

you should both switch to slower equipment, as I said in previous comment, which will force you to develop better shots and use of body, also points will last longer so you can practice various loops, blocks, hits...

I think he should simply play slower, period... Smaller strokes, tighter and lower serves, smaller foot movements, etc... The key is to be efficient with energy transfer and sustainability of fluid movements.
bleachfan92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleachfan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:37am
You look like chen qi while preparing for the serve and serving...
I think its possible to use a fast equipment and learn just that it will take a much longer time and that overall strokes will be more constricted because you are afraid of hitting the ball out...
Anyway maybe you can try a better coach to work more on your basics and challenge more players to find out ur weaknesses...just playing w a few regulars may not be bad but limits ur exposure to different styles.
Just what I think...as long as you have the passion and interest to improve and be better you can definitely improve.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 4:44am

The best way forward for most people is to copy players of a realistic standard to their own, copy the best player in their club/town. It does unfortunately hurt to dream high if you have not got the recources, time and ability of what you are trying to emulate, what is missed by many, is that the top world class players have been playing a very long time for many hours each week on a full time basis, assisted by world class coaches, fitness programs, sports pshycologists and top class practice partners, and trying to copy the way they play too early in a TT players career ends up in a shambolic display of inconsistency.
 So the best players in your area may be sh*t compared to the best players in the world, but unless you are training full time, you will have a much better chance of achieving your realistic potential by copying them, than by trying to play above what is possible for you.
The Older I get, The better I was.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 5:11am
That's a good advice, It's a bit like me trying to dance and going straight for swan lake lol, realistically I could manage the twist and still have fun :).

I doubt it's a local thing only but I've noticed something about young kids that develop and those that don't. The kids that become the next generation of club champions are the ones that spend their spare time between matches at the top tables in the club quietly watching, in the end they will make it to their self imposed goal without any formal coaching. The kids that don't watch and run around like headless chickens never make it
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

So the best players in your area may be sh*t compared to the best players in the world, but unless you are training full time, you will have a much better chance of achieving your realistic potential by copying them, than by trying to play above what is possible for you.

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I doubt it's a local thing only but I've noticed something about young kids that develop and those that don't. The kids that become the next generation of club champions are the ones that spend their spare time between matches at the top tables in the club quietly watching, in the end they will make it to their self imposed goal without any formal coaching. The kids that don't watch and run around like headless chickens never make it

Good observations.

Our club has two teenagers that started in 2006. They are both multi-sport athletes, coordinated, good reflexes, etc. The more competitive one (the desire to win, and the smarts to figure out how to win) is playing at about US1700 and the other is only about US1000. The former player was inquisitive, and picked up "tricks/tips/techniques" from all the better players and built his own two winged topspin game that is a mix of strong service including deception and very powerful spins. The latter player primarily played against weaker players, and didn't reach out for help developing his game. In spite of the fact that both of these players hit with each other frequently, and that the latter player has all of the advantages that should allow him to reach 1500 (he's a lefty with a consistent allround game who can both defend and counterattack) he simply lacks the will to win.

In this specific case, I believe that it's not a question of "talent", it's simply a question of desire and the ability to develop and execute strategies and tactics that are successful. Ironically, the weaker player won the B division of our league singles tournament this year, he will be forced to play against A players next season (which range from US1000-1900). I'm curious to see if this exposure will help him raise his level, or if he will continue to be unaffected by a new round of losses.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 1:05pm
instead of making excuses one must recognise, admit then act accordingly. Asking for help with the mind to learn is at the utmost importance. Otherwise you will not learn anything.
Taking videos of myself was the best thing I ever done as it made me realise just how good (or bad) I am. But even my first video I was in denial and made excuses. But its something you just have to get over. When you actually look back at your videos and judge honestly you will be surprised just how many faults you have.
Even me recently I had a video of playing a modern defender. I got BORED of my own video. How about that
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 1:45pm
during warmups with dalamchops and hwa, we get to around 5-6 consistent 75% power loops. lamchops is thinking about switching to pips again so his blocks are different than smooth rubbers. all in all, it just takes a lot of practice and having someone who's willing to train with you. 
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:49pm
My opinions
For training partners: as mentioned by icontek and several others, you need someone that is at a higher level than you or is a least a good blocker.  Progression is difficult/ slower with someone at your level unless you have a coach to work with you and your training partner.  If you don't have the luxury of finding a player of a higher level to work with, you need to focus on other aspects of the drill.

Training:   When training and your partner is not very good at blocking, take the opportunity to focus on your anticipation and footwork.  I do not feel that a person should believe/ feel entitled to the ball landing in the same spot every time.  By that I mean, a person shouldn't get frustrated when someone can't block to the FH corner when doing cross court counter hits or loops when warming up, or the ball doesn't land on the lines when doing a 3 point footwork drill. 

Although when training it would be ideal that the ball goes where it's supposed to, and the ball certainly does go where its supposed to when training with higher rated players, however unless you are fortunate enough to train with someone of a higher level or with a coach, training is rarely "ideal."  Ball usually isn't blocked perfectly, and sometimes the spin isn't what you want it to be.

My point is: the mentality that should be taken in training is to focus on getting to every ball, not expecting the ball to come to you.

I will now get off my soap-box.  Thanks for reading.

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 04/27/2011 at 4:16pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 6:34pm
Jeff, that was some great (and realistic) feedback.

There's a big nugget of wisdom in there that took me a minute to figure out.

Oh-G mentions that his training partner can't block for him, but what if he puts the shoe on the other foot?

I had a player who loved to hit with me but unfortunately during FH FH crosscourt counters he would love to smash every third ball. It was very frustrating, as, both of us being low level players, it would interrupt the rhythm of the sequence, and I could not control the block return (I would miss the table, or miss the FH side entirely). However, after several sessions, I realized that if I dropped back and to the right slightly (1 foot or so) each time I saw his larger backswing, I could counter the ball back to him. At first he was amazed that it came back. And then he started being able to hit multiple smashes. I went from being angry with him that he was ruining our drill to being thankful that he helped me learn how to return his biggest shot.

Similarly, I think Oh-G and his partner have some opportunities. But perhaps learning to block a powerful loop drive is putting the cart before the horse.
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 7:20pm
I still would say you play with no vigor in your game, you don't seem to play with any energy, same goes for your partner.  And, there's really no soft way of putting this, but your opponent has extremely illegal serves.  No umpire with a conscience and any allegiance to the rule book would let any of those fly.

I honestly thought it was difficult to tell who was better in this video, maybe your opponent but only marginally at best.

Edited by Carbon TT - 04/27/2011 at 7:22pm
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

I don't understand why you are being so incredibly defensive on ohhgourami's behalf. Did you create an account just for that? Skyline was just giving his honest opinion and a legitimate criticism. Now here's mine; there isn't any inherent harm in emulating professionals (we've all probably done it to an extent), but a player should try to develop his basic skills and eventually discover his own style of play rather than focus on looking pro. That's a surefire way to embarrass yourself especially when your strokes utterly lack consistency. You have entirely missed the point.

If you want to play like the Chinese, you should train like them. And before you miss the point again, I don't mean copy them.

I was just giving my opinion too. there is no harm in dreaming high. 
Equipment:
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 10:57pm

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

I was just giving my opinion too. there is no harm in dreaming high. 

I think what he was saying is that if you spend like a millionaire without having the investments to back it up that you will be bankrupt or worse.

Because in sport or finance, success may begin with a dream, but without realistic goals and the plans to achieve them, your dreams will remain not just elusive... but illusive as well.

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 12:05am

Jeff, that was some great (and realistic) feedback.

There's a big nugget of wisdom in there that took me a minute to figure out.

Oh-G mentions that his training partner can't block for him, but what if he puts the shoe on the other foot?

I had a player who loved to hit with me but unfortunately during FH FH crosscourt counters he would love to smash every third ball. It was very frustrating, as, both of us being low level players, it would interrupt the rhythm of the sequence, and I could not control the block return (I would miss the table, or miss the FH side entirely). However, after several sessions, I realized that if I dropped back and to the right slightly (1 foot or so) each time I saw his larger backswing, I could counter the ball back to him. At first he was amazed that it came back. And then he started being able to hit multiple smashes. I went from being angry with him that he was ruining our drill to being thankful that he helped me learn how to return his biggest shot.

Similarly, I think Oh-G and his partner have some opportunities. But perhaps learning to block a powerful loop drive is putting the cart before the horse.

That is a really good example of what I'm trying to say.  It's really rewarding to find solutions after you approach them from a different perspective.  I used to get really frustrated about balls not going where I wanted them to go when warming up and drilling, but now I'm glad they did because they forced me to adjust my body position to get to those balls and hit them cleanly (or at least try to hit them cleanlyTongue).
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 3:44am

winning TT game is about keeping the ball on the table

At least I have seen slow Asians ;)
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic