FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Fred's Latest Vid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fred's Latest Vid
    Posted: 10/29/2011 at 1:38am
Sponsored Links

metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 2:11am
Very impressive!  His switch from FH to BH is quick and consistent.
Great job dad.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 3:21am
Excellent, but he is spinning too much for my liking, wasting precious energy and potential speed development.  Chinese kids at similar age are trained to drive more, and spin less. 
However, I do accept we have philosophical differences. 
No offense intended Fred, just imho...  Smile
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 3:44am

The game is becoming more and more about spin. Within reason, I don't think you can have too much.

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 3:16am

Sadly the wedding had to be called off because the wedding dress you supplied was so awful that she didn't want to be seen dead in it.

For those of you who missed the last post (now deleted), this was me responding to a spam post, not just a bizarre way to dredge up an old thread.

Edited by JKC - 12/16/2011 at 5:12am
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 3:22am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Excellent, but he is spinning too much for my liking, wasting precious energy and potential speed development.  Chinese kids at similar age are trained to drive more, and spin less. 

This statement just gets more and more wrong everytime I look at it. Thanks for bringing it back Laangen so I can have another laugh.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 3:30am
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

This statement just gets more and more wrong everytime I look at it. Thanks for bringing it back Laangen so I can have another laugh.

LOL

The joke is on you.

LOL
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 4:33am

Why compare him to Chinese kids? he's not, he's English, just about everything is different, and It may come as a shock to some, but not everyone wishes to play the Chinese way. I played a professional Chinese player last weekend, and although she was superbly drilled, she had no tactical nous at all. She did tell me afterwards that there are around a million pro players in China, have you ever though why they are not all as good as the top ones? That means that 99.99% of the 'Chinese kids at a similar age' don't make it.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 4:42am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Why compare him to Chinese kids? he's not, he's English, just about everything is different, and It may come as a shock to some, but not everyone wishes to play the Chinese way. I played a professional Chinese player last weekend, and although she was superbly drilled, she had no tactical nous at all. She did tell me afterwards that there are around a million pro players in China, have you ever though why they are not all as good as the top ones? That means that 99.99% of the 'Chinese kids at a similar age' don't make it.

As I said, I do accept that we have different opinions.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 4:50am

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

As I said, I do accept that we have different opinions.

fair enough RR, its what makes the world go round.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 7:59am
New Year vid coming soon (v. early in the New Year). Expect something special!
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 8:23am

New Year vid coming soon (v. early in the New Year). Expect something special!

What, are you gonna be wearing a mankini or something?
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:13pm
Please... I just ate lunch... Sick
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:31pm
Oh my gosh... JKC please take this photo away. I mean keep it somewhere but not in the thread that began with such a great video of Fred and you. Shocked

Anyway, Fred is great! I remember watching your videos two years ago - he has made such a huge progress. I am so envious - my son doesn't even want to play anymore, and he had some pretty good skills but then decided that he was too lazy for TT Cry
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:51pm
Thanks again for sharing!

Fred's footwork and handspeed make me want to cry. I would kill to be that nimble and have that efficient and energy transfer from foot to hand!

While I enjoyed how difficult he made things for you, here's what confused me...

His BH seems to be FASTER (than FH) and his FH seems to be SPINNIER (than BH)...

Did I misread something?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 12:06am
i don't think hes overly spiny at all. He did spin a few balls that were just not safe to drive flat. He drove most of them fine.

One piece of advice - tell him to straighten his arm in the elbow. He looks like M Maze right now, who in turn looks like some crippled man. Open the arm. Aside from the swing being easier on the eyes, he will have more power too.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:06am
With footwork and recovery like that (not to mention consistency) I'm pretty sure Fred would tear apart any US1500-1700 I've played...

I think he's still compensating for his height relative to the ball... Wait till he gets taller.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 4:53am
My take is that his BH is naturally quite spinny, though his placement is a bit dodgy at the moment. It will improve as he starts to learn when to go down the line and put more doubt in his opponents mind. His FH is a really powerful shot and has improved in the last few weeks since this vid. His FH will improve and become more relaxed as he starts to pick up the direction of his opponents shots earlier and earlier and be more prepared for his shot.
It's all going pretty well at the moment though and he continues to work hard. He has a tournament tomorrow and then 2 days of training with the regional squad before a week off at his granny's house for Christmas. When we get back from there then we will be making his 'New Year' vid. He is currently ranked number 61 in England in the U13's and certainly in the top 10 in the U11's although there is no published list for U11's.

It isn't really me in the photo BTW
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 5:58am

It isn't really me in the photo BTW

Are you telling the truth?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 9:13am
Let Scoobie Doo drink up that Hot Chocolate and sum milk, then pass out for 9 hours of sleep, then he will rock at the tourney and you get to tell us all about it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 1:43pm
He played really well yesterday at his tournament. Playing probably his best TT ever in a real battle with the number 1 seed in the under 15's -losing 3 straight, but 3 close games and 14-16 in the second. In the end no silverware, but a semifinal place in the under 13's which he lost in 5.

This is what he has been up to today and tomorrow he has a similar training day with the older kids.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 5:13pm
Many would look at a 0-3 loss and wonder if that represents any progress or a lifetime personal best result and effort. Facts on the ground are that nobody walks in off the street vs a number one in the division and start winning games right away. There are a number of indicators and things to look for to determine level and progress. JKC has more experience at this than most and is boots on ground for this matter.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2013 at 7:03am
Kid knows how to play! Just remember to train him to bend low as he grows taller and he should be fine :)
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

i don't think hes overly spiny at all. He did spin a few balls that were just not safe to drive flat. He drove most of them fine.
One piece of advice - tell him to straighten his arm in the elbow. He looks like M Maze right now, who in turn looks like some crippled man. Open the arm. Aside from the swing being easier on the eyes, he will have more power too.

+1
Also the straighter arm loop will allow him to develop over the table FH attacks as he increases level.

But he looks awesome!

Edited by smash_fan - 04/12/2013 at 11:12am
Blade: Hinoki Wood (now trying ZLF)
Rubbers: Tenergy 05 and 05FX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic