FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A video with my now 4 year old son

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2011 at 9:35am

Non-costly table with height-varying legs from 76 to 68cm.
A must for children till 11y.o.

Edited by igorponger - 11/12/2011 at 9:44am
Sponsored Links

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2011 at 9:54am

Non-costly table brand by the Double Fish with height variations from 76 to 68cm.
A must for children till 11y.o.

Edited by igorponger - 11/12/2011 at 10:24am
mderka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2011 at 11:01am
I took my son up to Manchester NH this past weekend for some ping pong. Like usual, he had a great time. I asked about lessons (its always tricky to approach instructors about lessons for a young child) and was told the best place to go is the Boston Table tennis club. Problem is, CHarlie and I have been to the Boston club a couple times and the instructor there told us Charlie was "too young" for lessons. Of course this was about 6 months ago so maybe I should take him again. 
This may not come across right, and I mean no disrespect writing it, but I don't know how Charlie would deal with an instructor with a chinese accent. I think a lot would be lost in the translation and both parties may get frustrated. Anyway, for now I guess I'll just keep banging away with him in the basement. Life could be worse :).
rosewood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2011 at 11:52am
i think kids deal with accents better than adults, so don't worry.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2011 at 12:16pm
I think lessons can wait til 5 or even 6. Keeping the sport interesting and fun is the most important thing at this stage and throwing tips to him here and there. The age 5 and 6 has proven the best age to teach kids more complex tasks. That's why school starts at that age.
I think the platform idea sounds dangerous. I do believe he'll adjust as he grows. Kind of like tee ball and getting older and the different distances a pitcher throws from as they grow. Kids adjust fairly easily.

May I ask, at what age was he first able to hit the ball over the net on simple return?

Have you used a robot with him?

Does he say he wants lessons?

Edited by Toprank - 11/24/2011 at 12:19pm
mderka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2011 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

May I ask, at what age was he first able to hit the ball over the net on simple return?

Have you used a robot with him?

Does he say he wants lessons?

I can remember the first time I played with him was on vacation in the Bahamas last February so that would have made him 3 years 5 months old. He was not like he is now, but he could put the bat on the ball pretty well.

We do have a robot (iPong) that he does use from time to time. He would rather play with a person though for sure.

He does not ask for lessons. When I ask him about taking lessons he answers that he doesn't need him because he is the best. Obviously I need to work on his modesty. He does take tennis lessons and enjoys that so I think he would welcome table tennis lessons if I found the right fit.
mderka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2011 at 10:53pm
Just for the heck of it, here is the first video we made with Charlie including that time in the Bahamas in February. Sorry about the beginning camera work. I was holding it and playing at the same time. This should give you an idea of what he was like at first and how he progressed in his first 6 weeks or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wiDxdx1UKg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic