Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rate me please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:00pm
Actually, I think the form of your strokes look really good, both FH and BH.  Of course, you only showed a limited range of technique in your drills, but they looked better than is common for under 2000 in the US. The real question would be to see how you looked in real matches against a variety of players. 
Sponsored Links

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 1:58am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Seguso,

Is there someone you can play with who can return short and low or with heavy underspin, both with good placement?

Yeah, the guy in the first video, the one in the top 100. When he does, I usually lose. I can backhand-sidespin-flip over the table, but when the ball is short and underspin on the forehand I am in trouble because my short game is weak.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 3:25am
Originally posted by xander7803 xander7803 wrote:

again you are too stiff on your feet! again if you lower your stance a tiny bit

Thank you  Smile

Yesterday I tried to have a lower stance. It turns out I am faster because I don't have to go down, cause I am already down. :) Cool. OTOH, moving sideways is more difficult. And I get tired too soon.

Quote ... overall my hat off to you for playing only for a year!!! i know players who play for 15 yrs and they are not even close to your level!!!

Two years actually. And I have a robot. And I was a tennis player, so I did not really start from scratch.

Quote you stop your motion past middle of stroke. if you would commit all the way to the end your fh topspin would be spinnier and more devastating!!! your bh is pretty good but

I slow down during impact because I don't have enough precision and I am focusing on aiming. When I get more precise (if ever) I can hit harder.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 4:12am
Quote I am trying to understand what you mean by wrist dropped.

The top of your blade points upwards most of the time

while it should point downwards. Hence you are forced to make more pushes rather than normal topspin or wrist brushes. Try to think of your blade axis as a direct prolongation of your forearm.

Edited by Imago - 02/23/2012 at 4:29am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 4:44am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

The top of your blade points upwards most of the time

while it should point downwards. H

Thank you Imago. I've seen the illustrations. Really appreciated.

I think I understand, and this is what I already do to loop against flat balls: the tip starts down and I wrist-brush upwards. I do this especially to topspin against short pips or flat services.

I have to work on applying this to looping against topspin or block.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 6:43am
Here is another clip from side view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IIBhSl09bw

here you can see:
backhand counterloop: 0:41  1:06    1:14-1:18  1:42  1:49  2:56  3:02  3:44 (@Imago and bluebucket: is this what you mean? )

backhand flip: 0:16   0:36   1:27

short game fh: 2:50

Edited by seguso - 02/23/2012 at 6:57am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 7:22am
By the way, here is my partner in the first and last video when he is training seriously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DQAmxBuH-So#!
xander7803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xander7803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 3:18pm
he's movements look good! is he top 100 in italy?
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 3:39pm
Easily 2000.. possibly higher depending on your serve/receive serve game. The guy in red is definitely above 2300, and probably higher.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by xander7803 xander7803 wrote:

he's movements look good! is he top 100 in italy?

yes, the guy in red is easily in the top 100 in Italy, climbing very fast. He is almost 17 years old. His service, receive, footwork and fh counterloop are his strong points. The other guy is his father, now 60 years old, formerly in the top 200 in the world.

Edited by seguso - 02/23/2012 at 4:51pm
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 5:08pm
ratings have proven to be wrong again and again......
there is only one certain 100% fake proof way of telling whether you are good or not.
you beat sa01 then you can call yourself good.
you lose to sa01 back to kindergarten.

Edited by sa01 - 02/23/2012 at 5:12pm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

i actually like your BH, you hare a good high arc which i have no doubt has lots of spin,

BTW, the bh arc is due to vega pro. Today I played with Acuda s2 and it is much lower and straighter. But faster, which helps against very good players such as Levon. The spinny opener does little to them. I think I'll switch to acuda or calibra for bh too.

Edited by seguso - 02/23/2012 at 5:16pm
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 5:34pm
can i ask why you switch to calibra on FH?  s2 on BH is also very good and yes vega pro has high arc throw i actually like it but its not as durable as T05
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

can i ask why you switch to calibra on FH?  s2 on BH is also very good and yes vega pro has high arc throw i actually like it but its not as durable as T05

I switched to calibra on fh from vega pro 3 days ago (all videos are with calibra lt on fh), because with vega pro some players could return my loops too easily. With VPro I would end up making a swing too wide so I would lose balance and could not recover in time. Not so with Calibra LT: In particular in the second video in my signature, Levon finally could not block my fh loops so easily, and said I have improved (he says it is not the rubber but it's me, but I know it's the rubber).

Same problem with backhand: as you see in the videos (all videos are with vega pro backhand), my loop was spinny but not fast enough, so in order to kill I ended up swinging too wide and missing. Not so with Acuda S2: today my bh with S2 had much more penetration than you see in the video.

Edited by seguso - 02/23/2012 at 5:48pm
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 4:15am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I appreciate your help. I am trying to understand what you mean by wrist dropped. In Henzell's video, I do see that the hand starts below the table, and moves upwards, but at the same time I do not see the wrist dropped, i.e. I don't see the blade tip pointing down. I see the blade brushing the ball from above. I'll have another look though.

At first I thought you were describing Schlager's backhand. That one seems to me to fit your description more: he starts with the wrist dropped (blade rather open) and then he rotates and closes the blade during the shot.

Anyway, I need to learn backhand loop against block, that's for sure. Cry

Admit I haven't read the whole (I'm going to be late for training soon) but dropping the wrist doesn't necessarily mean your racket pointing downwards. Put your forearm and hand in front of you and horizontal to the ground. Then angle your wrist backwards towards yourself 45 degrees and downwards 45 degrees. I would call this dropping the wrist.

Against a backspin push there is more reason to have your racket tip pointing downwards.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 4:28am
Originally posted by ttEDGE - William ttEDGE - William wrote:

dropping the wrist doesn't necessarily mean your racket pointing downwards. Put your forearm and hand in front of you and horizontal to the ground. Then angle your wrist backwards towards yourself 45 degrees and downwards 45 degrees. I would call this dropping the wrist.

Thanks a lot for clearing this up, and happy birthday! Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic