FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

tournament match

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tournament match
    Posted: 08/18/2013 at 12:32pm
Hi, they posted a recent video of me playing in the Italian Campionships 3rd category. (the third category goes from ranking n. 121 to n. 462). My opponent was about 320 in ranking. I am now 430.

the link is http://youtu.be/n2Dqotwhrq4?t=27m39s  (starting time 27m 39s). I am the one in blue.

it was played about 3 months ago. I did not go very far in the tournament; I lost with a player with short pips just after.

unfortunately it's only a highlight -- I would have liked to see more of my mistakes.

Equipment: here I was playing with clipper wood, m2 2.0 forehand, and x3 2.0 backhand. I see x3 was very slow, but I did not feel confident with bh flip. I have since switched to m2 both sides, and a much faster blade (yinhe t10), to have a more powerful opening loop. It seems to work.

Of course, comments are welcome :)

Edited by seguso - 08/18/2013 at 12:33pm
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 1:06pm
Nice rallies!
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 1:23pm
my opponent was using joola x-plode both sides, a rubber with poor spin, and in the beginning I kept counterlooping everything to the net...
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 1:46pm
Agree, nice rallies but then these are the high lights and it looks like the player were evenly matched.
I like the way the video was shot from above.
So many times I find myself looking at the back side of the near player.
I do think the music volume should be turned down.
I like to hear the balls bounce and the sound of impact.

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 5:31pm
sooo many long serves.

and yeah Music bad idea
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 9:28pm
Nice roll starter on your backhands, eventually you will need more power on your forhand though
so did you ratings/rankings inprove?
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2013 at 1:45am
I thought the same about long services... I think many short serves may have been cut because for some reason they did not produce nice points.

Yeah, I  went up 100 positions with the tournament. I think I cannot reach more than 300 with that play. This coming season I will try a carbon setup, we'll see.
redyborde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redyborde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2014 at 5:26pm
Good tecnique Seguso, efortless off play always looks good...
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2014 at 6:59pm
I would agree that the long serves definitely seem to be prevalent throughout this match. But, there were indubitably some great rallies! Keep up the good work! :)
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 2:14am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Nice roll starter on your backhands, eventually you will need more power on your forhand though
so did you ratings/rankings inprove?

Yup. One year later I am #230 Italian ranking. At the time of the video I was about #430.

In the meantime I have improved my fh which is much more powerful with m1 (previously it was m2).

Edited by seguso - 02/26/2014 at 2:15am
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 2:27am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I thought the same about long services... I think many short serves may have been cut because for some reason they did not produce nice points.

Yeah, I  went up 100 positions with the tournament. I think I cannot reach more than 300 with that play. This coming season I will try a carbon setup, we'll see.

Really? Your solution to getting better is switching paddles?
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 2:59am

my opponent was using joola x-plode both sides, a rubber with poor spin, and in the beginning I kept counterlooping everything to the net...
What is the best way to counter the short pips? Didn't look like you were having too much problem with it.
Congratulations on moving into the top 300!Clap

Edited by jrscatman - 02/26/2014 at 3:00am
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 4:30am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

What is the best way to counter the short pips? Didn't look like you were having too much problem with it.
Congratulations on moving into the top 300!Clap

That player in the video did not have short pips. 

The key for looping against short pips, is IMHO to have a flexible and soft blade. Otherwise you will net your loops. With clipper wood I lost to short pips many times. Then I switched to Stiga offensive wood NCT, and started winning. M1 max forehand, coppa x2 2.0 bh, stiga offensive wood nct. This combo is tested against good players with short pips (in particular, #90 and #180 italian ranking) with great results (wins). Now I am also considering Stiga Offensive classic and OSP expert.

Edited by seguso - 02/26/2014 at 4:31am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 4:41am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Really? Your solution to getting better is switching paddles?

A good paddle choice is necessary but not sufficient for good results. A paddle which does not give you enough margin for error against unknown or unfamiliar opponents will prevent good results regardless of training.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 9:33am

A good paddle choice is necessary but not sufficient for good results. A paddle which does not give you enough margin for error against unknown or unfamiliar opponents will prevent good results regardless of training.

Candidate for quote of the year.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2014 at 6:05pm
Hi Seguso
you played a good match, but there seems to be something unusual about your forehand Topspin. You seem to contact the ball behind your body, rather than in front of you, which would be better technique. You would produce more power if the contact was more in front with better weight transfer.
Are you compensating for some physical problem? (excuse the question, I am interested a coach)
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 2:48am
@pingpongpaddy

that depends on the paddle throw. If the blade or rubber is low throw, you have to hit later, i.e. on the side, not in front of you. (in addition to hitting with a more open face)

That's why, when you change equipment, your timing is all off; it's not just a matter of adjusting the paddle angle.

today, with a high throw blade, I have the opposite problem: I hit in front and cannot easily get back to the previous technique. I tried coppa x1 on fh two weeks ago and I realized I had to wait more, as I did in that video, and I just couldn't do it.

Edited by seguso - 02/27/2014 at 2:48am
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 5:08am
Your game looks very nice but your footwork is quite slow and you are flat-footed. Do lots of footwork training and try to play on your toes at all times. In general try to be more dynamic: recover faster, prepare earlier and try harder. Play like your life depends on it! If you did this I am sure you could climb a lot higher up the ranking ladder.

btw - you should be able to easily hit powerfully with a Clipper. Just swing faster.

Edited by DDreamer - 02/27/2014 at 5:19am
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 8:10am

@pingpongpaddy

that depends on the paddle throw. If the blade or rubber is low throw, you have to hit later, i.e. on the side, not in front of you. (in addition to hitting with a more open face)

That's why, when you change equipment, your timing is all off; it's not just a matter of adjusting the paddle angle.

today, with a high throw blade, I have the opposite problem: I hit in front and cannot easily get back to the previous technique. I tried coppa x1 on fh two weeks ago and I realized I had to wait more, as I did in that video, and I just couldn't do it.

An interesting answer, which I don't agree with. You are already quite a good player, and you would be even better if you learned correct technique for your forehand. At the moment its just an arm shot with very little assistance from your legs. (the power should come from the knee of the back leg). If you have an open mind a good coach could help you a lot.
but maybe you have been playing too long to change now.
Anyway good luck!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 10:36am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

An interesting answer, which I don't agree with. You are already quite a good player, and you would be even better if you learned correct technique for your forehand. At the moment its just an arm shot with very little assistance from your legs. (the power should come from the knee of the back leg). If you have an open mind a good coach could help you a lot.
Anyway good luck!

There is some confusion... let me clarify. Previously you were talking about hitting in front. Now you switched, you are talking about too little use of the legs, and using just the arm. I totally agree with the second critique. But I was answering the first. BTW, I wish you could see my forehand now; I hit too much in front IMHO. The video is one year old.

Edited by seguso - 02/27/2014 at 10:36am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

Your game looks very nice but your footwork is quite slow and you are flat-footed. Do lots of footwork training and try to play on your toes at all times. In general try to be more dynamic: recover faster, prepare earlier and try harder. Play like your life depends on it! If you did this I am sure you could climb a lot higher up the ranking ladder.

btw - you should be able to easily hit powerfully with a Clipper. Just swing faster.

Yeah, my footwork is slow. I've improved a bit in one year. It's more of a mental problem than physical.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2014 at 11:23am

Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Anyway good luck!

There is some confusion... let me clarify. Previously you were talking about hitting in front. Now you switched, you are talking about too little use of the legs, and using just the arm. I totally agree with the second critique. But I was answering the first. BTW, I wish you could see my forehand now; I hit too much in front IMHO. The video is one year old.

I didn't really switch. In the video i see you block in front pretty much, and also that your forehand loop is an arm shot that goes up and down opposite your right shoulder, and that your legs do not help you to spin or to add forward power. So I think if you started to use your legs to throw your body forward, you would find your arm operating in a more relaxed way as well.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic