Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

backhand loop feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SlowMover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowMover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2016 at 12:51am
V-Griper and NextLevel, I didn't see your comments when I was replying to Blahness, but you're both basically confirming what I was thinking.  

V-Griper I used to have a backhand smash based on the disc golf throw.  It hasn't come out for a while in a match, but very interesting that you mention it and embedded that video.

Oddly since I got involved in disc golf and table tennis, I can throw things like a tennis ball for example much faster using the same whip principle.
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2016 at 1:09am
Originally posted by SlowMover SlowMover wrote:

As I compare and look at the Henzell video above for topspin vs block, he uses just very slight leg, hips, and core engagement except when doing the kill shot.

In the other Henzell topspin vs backspin video, he's engaging the core and legs more, but never twisting as much as ZJK.

I imagine the reasons are that there is more time when backspin is incoming and you need max bat speed to left backspin with a closed bat angle.  

Against block he needs to move quickly side to side more and there is less need and less time to fully engage like ZJK is in that video.

I will probably aim to use varying degrees of the core, hips, and legs in the same situations for the same reasons.  I haven't been doing as much vs backspin, but when I do again soon, I will take your advice and experiment more with what I can do with the core and legs.  Likewise against block when I practice further off the table or throw in the occasional loop kill.

On the other hand, if I keep the robot on topspin and start oscillating the robot head where I have to move between shots, I will probably need to keep this as more of an arm and wrist stroke.  I didn't pick the moniker SlowMover for nothing Wink   I tried to claim "nofootwork", but it was already taken.

I'll tell you what, I'm working hard Dead to get a decent backhand loop some day, and I'm thankful for your help and everyone else's. 

I think you're on the right track with this.

All the top players use a rather full stroke against backspin, even Kenta Matsudaira and Kishikawa.

ZJK, if you watch his matches, has an extremely short stroke against topspin. He only unleashes his full stroke against backspin balls where he has plenty of time.

Against topspin you won't have time to fully engage the core/legs unless you're away from the table. The emphasis would be more on the arms and the wrist. Against backspin is where you should be focusing on a fuller stroke with your legs, shoulder and waist added in.

However, it is very hard to develop a great strong BH against backspin without engaging the core/legs, which is why I felt you need to incorporate it soon to avoid developing "arm-only" habits when dealing with backspin. If that was topspin it would be fine.

On the other hand, you should continue practising your short BH strokes (against topspin balls at varying locations so that you learn how to move to the ball)

Great work!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic