Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Victas Short Pips ( japanese translation neede
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Victas Short Pips ( japanese translation neede

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Sedis Sedis wrote:

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

What pips plays more similar to S2? Hope S2 is not a pip thar plays like inverted. I Had Spectol red  and it was very hard to control even when I played with advanced pips like spectol clasic,v0 103  I wonder if S3 is easier to handle .

I can't really think of anything that is very close.
A faster version of the original Spectol?
The S3 suits me much better and most pips I have used for any length of time have been more along those lines

Now some pips are designed mostly for backhand like spectol, how is the control of S3? What is your setup?
Sponsored Links

Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2021 at 12:01pm
I find the S3 very 'precise', which gives me good control, however others might not feel the same.

I'm using an SDC, with pips on the Ash side of a Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Ash combination blade

Edited by Sedis - 05/21/2021 at 12:02pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2021 at 10:07pm

I find the S3 very 'precise', which gives me good control, however others might not feel the same.

I'm using an SDC, with pips on the Ash side of a Koto / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Ash combination blade

How does S3 behave when you block loops? Sink the balls into the net..you said the opponets  have more trouble? They sank the blocks?
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2021 at 3:06am

How does S3 behave when you block loops? Sink the balls into the net..you said the opponets  have more trouble? They sank the blocks?

A little, my opponent said they "had to lift the ball more"

I would say S3 is very similar to Spectol Red & Blue, but with slightly more disruption to incoming spin at the expense of a bit of control in the short game, however the difference is small, so if you didn't like Spectol Blue, I doubt you would like S3

Edited by Sedis - 05/23/2021 at 3:08am
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2021 at 10:25am

A little, my opponent said they "had to lift the ball more"

I would say S3 is very similar to Spectol Red & Blue, but with slightly more disruption to incoming spin at the expense of a bit of control in the short game, however the difference is small, so if you didn't like Spectol Blue, I doubt you would like S3

Thanks a lot .
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2021 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by Shiro Shiro wrote:

The S2 was slightly heavier and harder at 43g and 46 degrees Shore O, The S3 was 40g and 44 degrees Shore O.

The S2 has an orange sponge which seems to soak up glue a bit more than the S3.

The S3 sponge looks very similar to TSP Spectol Red, but is closer in hardness to Spectol Blue.

The top sheets for both are a slightly darker red colour and look slightly less matt/more shiny, very similar to Nittaku Sonic AR.

When bouncing a ball, S2 feels very similar to Spectol blue.

It is very difficult to tell without actually playing, but doing some spin tests, it feels like S2 has a similar amount of grip to Spectol Red/Blue, possibly very slightly less.

S3 feels like it has less grip, but until I actually play with them, I don't know for sure.

How is the S3 spin to open serves with loop?

Thank you for the comparisons. When you get the chance to test out the Victas Spectols, do you mind posting which one plays and feels more closely related to the TSP Spectol Red? 

I got to try both S2 and S3 tonight, the short answer is S3 is the closest to Spectol Red

It is not exactly the same, the sponge is harder, like Spectol Blue, but the top sheet is a bit more flexible, which seems to compensate this to a degree.
In 2.0mm S3 is slightly faster than Spectol Blue in 1.8mm. Is has a similar low throw. It would be a good replacement if you are mainly a SP hitter or a blocker.
I found it a bit tricker to control in the short game, but this is probably a case of having to adjust slightly. It is very similar for chopping.

S2 is different, it has a much higher throw and gives a less dead ball. It is really easy to control in the short game, seems to have more gears and is more lively but only when you really attack.

My practice partner said the S3 was the hardest to play against, he really had to adjust and lift the ball more. 
Spectol Blue was a close second, with similar characteristics.

I'll be able to tell you more once I regain a bit of form after the forced lockdown break, but I think I will be changing to S3, but only after I have used my remaining sheets of Spectol Red and Blue. If S3 came in 1.8mm, I would be very tempted to change straight away.

S2 is OK, but I prefer the S3. I think S2 might be a good alternative to some of the more spin oriented pips if you wanted something in between those and the S3.

comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 5:33am

Originally posted by Shiro Shiro wrote:

The S2 was slightly heavier and harder at 43g and 46 degrees Shore O, The S3 was 40g and 44 degrees Shore O.

The S3 sponge looks very similar to TSP Spectol Red, but is closer in hardness to Spectol Blue.

The top sheets for both are a slightly darker red colour and look slightly less matt/more shiny, very similar to Nittaku Sonic AR.

It is very difficult to tell without actually playing, but doing some spin tests, it feels like S2 has a similar amount of grip to Spectol Red/Blue, possibly very slightly less.

S3 feels like it has less grip, but until I actually play with them, I don't know for sure.

Thank you for the comparisons. When you get the chance to test out the Victas Spectols, do you mind posting which one plays and feels more closely related to the TSP Spectol Red? 

I got to try both S2 and S3 tonight, the short answer is S3 is the closest to Spectol Red

It is not exactly the same, the sponge is harder, like Spectol Blue, but the top sheet is a bit more flexible, which seems to compensate this to a degree.
In 2.0mm S3 is slightly faster than Spectol Blue in 1.8mm. Is has a similar low throw. It would be a good replacement if you are mainly a SP hitter or a blocker.
I found it a bit tricker to control in the short game, but this is probably a case of having to adjust slightly. It is very similar for chopping.

S2 is different, it has a much higher throw and gives a less dead ball. It is really easy to control in the short game, seems to have more gears and is more lively but only when you really attack.

My practice partner said the S3 was the hardest to play against, he really had to adjust and lift the ball more. 
Spectol Blue was a close second, with similar characteristics.

I'll be able to tell you more once I regain a bit of form after the forced lockdown break, but I think I will be changing to S3, but only after I have used my remaining sheets of Spectol Red and Blue. If S3 came in 1.8mm, I would be very tempted to change straight away.

S2 is OK, but I prefer the S3. I think S2 might be a good alternative to some of the more spin oriented pips if you wanted something in between those and the S3.

Between S2 and S3, which one has the softest sponge? 
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 7:12am
Originally posted by comodoensis comodoensis wrote:

They are listed as being the same, but I measured them at 46 degrees Shore O for the S2 and 44 degrees for the S3.

This is only from one sheet of each, so could be down to variation due to manufacturing tolerances. 
comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2021 at 7:49pm

Originally posted by comodoensis comodoensis wrote:

They are listed as being the same, but I measured them at 46 degrees Shore O for the S2 and 44 degrees for the S3.

This is only from one sheet of each, so could be down to variation due to manufacturing tolerances. 

Many thanks Embarrassed then I'll just have to wait until it's sold in shops around, and try it
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2022 at 12:37pm
What is the best replacement for TSP SpinPips Blue?
BBC, SP, LP
kim_taek_soo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2022 at 7:53pm
The SpinPips series is pretty unique among Japanese short pips because all SpinPips topsheets are "cooked." Cooked (i.e., not translucent) topsheets are the norm for Chinese-made short pips but not Japanese-made and ESN short pips. If you want to replace SpinPips Blue, it probably makes sense to look at its successor, SpinPips D2, which is made in China. I'm sorry I can't really comment on D2 beyond that, as I haven't tried it yet.

Two short pips I have tried that feel similar to SpinPips Blue are Mizuno Booster SA and Yasaka Spinate. Both have strong emphasis on spin, but are not as fast and aggressive as VO>102, Impartial XS, and Rakza PO. Both Boster SA and Spinate have horizontally aligned trapezoidal pips, same as SpinPips Blue. In terms of sponge hardness, I think Spinate is close to SpinPips Blue. I remember Booster SA feeling harder.

Another possible option is Tuttle Summer 3C, which has a cooked topsheet and good spin, but it's noticeably slower than Booster SA and Spinate.

Hope you can find something you like
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

My feedback: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic92859.html
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2022 at 1:15am
Originally posted by kim_taek_soo kim_taek_soo wrote:

The SpinPips series is pretty unique among Japanese short pips because all SpinPips topsheets are "cooked." Cooked (i.e., not translucent) topsheets are the norm for Chinese-made short pips but not Japanese-made and ESN short pips. If you want to replace SpinPips Blue, it probably makes sense to look at its successor, SpinPips D2, which is made in China. I'm sorry I can't really comment on D2 beyond that, as I haven't tried it yet.

Two short pips I have tried that feel similar to SpinPips Blue are Mizuno Booster SA and Yasaka Spinate. Both have strong emphasis on spin, but are not as fast and aggressive as VO>102, Impartial XS, and Rakza PO. Both Boster SA and Spinate have horizontally aligned trapezoidal pips, same as SpinPips Blue. In terms of sponge hardness, I think Spinate is close to SpinPips Blue. I remember Booster SA feeling harder.

Another possible option is Tuttle Summer 3C, which has a cooked topsheet and good spin, but it's noticeably slower than Booster SA and Spinate.

Hope you can 

find something you like

I m not sure if the S1 is like a boosted spectol or spectol 21?
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2022 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by kim_taek_soo kim_taek_soo wrote:

Hope you can 

find something you like

I m not sure if the S1 is like a boosted spectol or spectol 21?

S1 = Regular Spectol
S2 = Spectol with high tension sponge
S3 = Spectol with taller pips, different sponge as well (might be spectol red sponge)
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
kim_taek_soo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2022 at 12:23am
Sorry, I have not tried the S1 either, so I can't compare it to the other Spectols. Victas markets it as an exact copy of the original Spectol, so I take that to mean no tension or factory booster/tuning. This makes sense considering the original Spectol (the one with the green and white package) is essentially the Sriver or Mark V of short pips. It's so successful, they would be stupid to ever stop selling it.

S2 and S3 are interesting, although I can't say I like either of them very much. S2 is indeed a high-tension Spectol. It keeps the same topsheet as the classic Spectol but the sponge is much springier. To me it feels uncontrollable, even on an all-wood blade. S3 is a slightly trickier/more deceptive version of Spectol. From what I can tell, the pips are not actually taller, but they are narrower (at least the tops are narrower, not sure about the bases) and there are more pips per square inch compared to the other Spectols. This gives more variety on passive shots (sometimes spin, sometimes dead ball) but it makes powerful hits and counters more difficult. A little more control than S2, but not much. I only tried them in 2.0 and 1.6, maybe MAX sponge would be a different story.
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

My feedback: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic92859.html
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2022 at 4:50pm
Any updates on the Spectol S1 or Spinpips D2?
I have just ordered a sheet of both in 2.0mm for bh.
Been using kieler for 2 years but i want to go back to short pimples I think for a bit more attacking prospects!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2022 at 1:27pm

How are S3 and S2 blocking spinny loops? Blue almost has no  knuckleballs on 1.8mm..max spectol blue is harmless.

S3 in 2.0mm is very similar to block with to Blue in 1.8mm and might even disrupt/reduce the incoming spin slightly more. 

S2 is easy to control when blocking, but gives a less awkward/flat return.

How about the S1?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2022 at 12:25pm

Somebody has tried S1 if  it plays the same as old spectol?
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2022 at 3:45pm

Somebody has tried S1 if  it plays the same as old spectol?

Tested S1 in 1.6mm and it is extremely similar to TSP Spectol besides the thickness. Maybe softer in feel but not as much as TSP Spectol 21 (which is my favorite of all the Spectol) (btw, I chop with Spectol 21 on BH).

For those looking for info about S1, S2 and S3, I found this article and compares it to the original Spectol (TSP 20082):

Edited by ludo - 09/25/2022 at 3:55pm
Sedis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 3:02am
I've purchased a couple of sheets of S3 in blue, which has just been released. I've only seen it for sale at Iruiru so far.
The top sheet has a more matt/cooked appearance than the sheets I have in red. 
After using it for a few weeks, I'm convinced it plays closer to the TSP Spectol Red I used to use than the S3 in red does.  
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2024 at 2:48pm

I've purchased a couple of sheets of S3 in blue, which has just been released. I've only seen it for sale at Iruiru so far.
The top sheet has a more matt/cooked appearance than the sheets I have in red. 
After using it for a few weeks, I'm convinced it plays closer to the TSP Spectol Red I used to use than the S3 in red does.  

I never had sucess playing with red maybe because I played on FH. I like better spectol Blue but I think many want the old spectol but S1 is not the same as old spectol.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2024 at 3:39pm
Tried S3...it was very fast and had a sinking effect, but it was not easy to play with for me. I use short pips on FH, so gave the rubber to a friend of mine that uses it on his BH. He plays well with it, and it is definitely more deceptive than some other short pips. 
I have played with Victas 102 many times over the years, and decided to order another sheet recently. This time I ordered 2.0 instead of 1.8 and I don't know if they have changed anything or not, but this rubber curled up out of the package more than any I've ordered before. This rubber also is louder than any short pipts I've played with. It definitely has a sound like it's been speed-glued. It's softer than I remember, but I like it so I'll use it for now. I suspect Spectol Red and Blue made it to the Victas "S" series. I didn't care for Red or Blue nor S3. It's pretty hard to beat Victas 102 if you want a good pips out for attacking and spin. If something for BH that is a little stranger then try S3.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2024 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Tried S3...it was very fast and had a sinking effect, but it was not easy to play with for me. I use short pips on FH, so gave the rubber to a friend of mine that uses it on his BH. He plays well with it, and it is definitely more deceptive than some other short pips. 
I have played with Victas 102 many times over the years, and decided to order another sheet recently. This time I ordered 2.0 instead of 1.8 and I don't know if they have changed anything or not, but this rubber curled up out of the package more than any I've ordered before. This rubber also is louder than any short pipts I've played with. It definitely has a sound like it's been speed-glued. It's softer than I remember, but I like it so I'll use it for now. I suspect Spectol Red and Blue made it to the Victas "S" series. I didn't care for Red or Blue nor S3. It's pretty hard to beat Victas 102 if you want a good pips out for attacking and spin. If something for BH that is a little stranger then try S3.

Dont you find 102 2mm harder for blocking? Have you tried Tibhars speedy soft xd dtects?
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2024 at 2:39am
Yes. I’ve tried Tibhars speedy dtecs and didn’t like it at all. Don’t remember exactly why, but I didn’t like them at all. They were fast and as I seem to recall they had a high throw angle. I block with 102 pretty good, especially in 2.0
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2024 at 7:09pm
Does Victas make a rubber that plays similar to TSP Super Spin Pips 21 ?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2024 at 12:01am
Originally posted by TwiddleDee TwiddleDee wrote:

Does Victas make a rubber that plays similar to TSP Super Spin Pips 21 ?

D1 must be similar to SSP21 but they say that S1 is the same as old spectol that I m sure its not true.
TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2024 at 3:10pm
I've tried more than my share of short pips on my forehand. SSP21 seems to have the perfect balance, and has a good sink effect.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2024 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by TwiddleDee TwiddleDee wrote:

I've tried more than my share of short pips on my forehand. SSP21 seems to have the perfect balance, and has a good sink effect.

Anybody tried Firestorm green ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic