FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

footwork musings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: footwork musings
    Posted: 03/13/2021 at 3:36am
Just found that you can sort of time the timing of our feet landing on the ground to coincide just when or slightly after the opponent makes the shot, to give you the greatest flexibility to chase the ball with the feet.

For example when you hop on the ground before your opponent serves, if it's long you just shift your weight towards the ball, if it's short then you shift your weight forward then you use that impulse to propel your feet forward (push off with right leg, then left leg follows and right leg lands at the final position). If it's to the right, you again shift your weight to the right to give the impulse for you to move to the right, and similar if it's to the left except that the left leg pushes off (it's a natural movement if you shift your weight to the left the tendency is to use your left leg to push off to move your body towards the left)

So this simplifies movement a lot, just time your microhop just when the opponent contacts the ball and then make sure the body weight is shifted towards the ball to initiate the push off in the correct direction to chase the ball. 

After a short push, it's also similar except the key is the left foot. So during a push you press on your right leg, then use your right leg to bounce back on your left leg, and the timing of that left leg landing should coincide with when the opponent contacts the ball. If the ball is short again then you would push off the left leg again to propel your body forward to land your right leg in the correct position. if the ball is deep to the right, then you again push off the left leg but now shift the weight backwards to the right so that the left leg pushes off giving you an impulse towards the right, backwards. 

TLDR this is what I have learnt recently doing footwork practice...

Edited by blahness - 03/13/2021 at 3:39am
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2021 at 4:40pm
All this reminds me of the timing of the tennis split step.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by maur1010 maur1010 wrote:

Hmm interesting, just googled it and yes it's exactly the same concept! 
So you time the bounce and then shift your body weight to the ball to give you the correct impulse to move to the correct direction. Honestly I never seen any tutorials in TT for this strangely...but as I observed, all of the top players do it...

-------
Viscaria

TYBB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TYBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2021 at 8:54pm
Look at Robert Gardos, Michel Saive and Ito Mima, you will see they all use it. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by TYBB TYBB wrote:

Look at Robert Gardos, Michel Saive and Ito Mima, you will see they all use it. 

Actually most top players use it...the difference is in the magnitude of the hop. 
-------
Viscaria

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 7:45pm
I think staying flat footed saves me effort

I like watching MMA women fighters smaller weight divisions as they are always bouncing and I think they could have been great table tennis players
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
TYBB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TYBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 7:48pm
IMO hard to learn from Pro player. We should watch simple video like the link below:

Edited by TYBB - 03/22/2021 at 9:19pm
TYBB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TYBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Hmm interesting, just googled it and yes it's exactly the same concept! 
So you time the bounce and then shift your body weight to the ball to give you the correct impulse to move to the correct direction. Honestly I never seen any tutorials in TT for this strangely...but as I observed, all of the top players do it...

IMO Table tennis pro use the flow split step. Like the video below:

Edited by TYBB - 03/22/2021 at 8:37pm
maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2021 at 1:56am
My question is why do most pros do not do a split step to receive serve?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2021 at 9:12am

My question is why do most pros do not do a split step to receive serve?

They do actually...Ito Mima is the most obvious...
-------
Viscaria

maur1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maur1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2021 at 5:00pm
I looked at 

Ma Long vs Tomokazu Harimoto

on this video.

I do not see a clean split step on return of serve like the tennis pros do.

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2021 at 5:13pm

I looked at 

Ma Long vs Tomokazu Harimoto

on this video.

I do not see a clean split step on return of serve like the tennis pros do.

It's not a jump but just microhop, I see it in both Harimoto and Ma Long
-------
Viscaria

Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2021 at 6:25am
Great thread. I've got a post in the works on this very topic. It's simple really, think about the first law of interia...an object in motion stays in motion! By utilizing a small  micro-jump and landing in the ready position, you will store elastic energy in your muscles. This will allow you to react with the ground better and move more quickly to field the next shot.
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2021 at 8:15am
in comparing lawn tennis split step with TT, we have to bear in mind that in the time available for a lawn tennis split step a fast tt shot can easily travel the length of the table. So, while the the principle is the same the tt split step is executed much more quickly and the feet literally brush the floor rather than jumping.
Having both feet off the ground is the time when the player is most vulnerable to being wrong footed. I like to hear my pupils shoes squeaking constantly as they move in footwork training
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

in comparing lawn tennis split step with TT, we have to bear in mind that in the time available for a lawn tennis split step a fast tt shot can easily travel the length of the table. So, while the the principle is the same the tt split step is executed much more quickly and the feet literally brush the floor rather than jumping.
Having both feet off the ground is the time when the player is most vulnerable to being wrong footed. I like to hear my pupils shoes squeaking constantly as they move in footwork training

I've seen this being taught a lot (that you should microhop all the time), but I'm not sure if I agree with it anymore. Bouncing too much mindlessly is simply inefficient and it makes for unstable strokes. In my opinion you only need one microhop with both legs, timed exactly just when your opponent hits the ball, then shift your body weight accordingly and move speedily and precisely to where you need to be. I'm trying to learn this precise movement too, but it's not an easy habit to ingrain. 
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic