Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Laid back hitting session

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fnordoom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnordoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laid back hitting session
    Posted: 05/10/2012 at 12:30pm
Here's me and my pal hitting around at work.
A couple notes:

*I am the penholder, i know my grip is not even a conventional penhold but this is how it feels comfy, I'm not trying to make the olympics or anything

*My partner is more of a tennis player, he doesn't like to move, serve or hit forehands

*The floor there is very slippery so i wasnt able to execute my footwork the way i normally would

Otherwise I welcome all constructive advice

Edited by fnordoom - 05/10/2012 at 12:34pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
DHS TG3 #19 blue sponge FH 2.2
BTY Tenergy 05 BH 2.1
Sponsored Links

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 1:13pm
You're flat footed that's why your slapping the floor on harder hits.  Stand in a lower stance and on the balls of your feet.  If you friend just blocks, you can practice your loops.  But depends how good of a blocker he is, because that will determine how difficult of a loop you can send to him.  No point in send over balls that can't be returned.

Other than that, keep the ball lower over the net.  Also your blocking your right eye on some of your FH swing.  You need to lift more, using the shoulder as the pivot point, paddle should end above the eyebrow, never blocking your eyes.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
fnordoom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fnordoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

You're flat footed that's why your slapping the floor on harder hits.  Stand in a lower stance and on the balls of your feet.  If you friend just blocks, you can practice your loops.  But depends how good of a blocker he is, because that will determine how difficult of a loop you can send to him.  No point in send over balls that can't be returned.

Other than that, keep the ball lower over the net.  Also your blocking your right eye on some of your FH swing.  You need to lift more, using the shoulder as the pivot point, paddle should end above the eyebrow, never blocking your eyes.

Cool, thanks for the advice.
Is keeping the ball lower over the net a product of blade angle ? (open vs. closed) or is it a swing issue or what? And also should i be finishing right in the middle of my forehead or towards one side or the other? 
Thanks again, very professional advice!

Edited by fnordoom - 05/10/2012 at 4:02pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
DHS TG3 #19 blue sponge FH 2.2
BTY Tenergy 05 BH 2.1
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 5:13pm
The two left handed guys on the far table look better than you.
The Older I get, The better I was.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

its a mirror Dead
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

its a mirror Dead

you don't sayLOL sorry, British humour is very dry.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 5:51pm
you look good, a slightly faster body turn , keep a bit lower ,maybe get a better training partner

but otherwise very good, you move to the ball and seem to have a nice basic stroke, having better hitting partners and or getting some lessons and you could be very good
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by fnordoom fnordoom wrote:

Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Cool, thanks for the advice.
Is keeping the ball lower over the net a product of blade angle ? (open vs. closed) or is it a swing issue or what? And also should i be finishing right in the middle of my forehead or towards one side or the other? 
Thanks again, very professional advice!
Keeping the ball lower is done by hitting the ball when it is about net height, either off the bounce, or on its way down off the peak.  This is a product of keeping your eyes nearer to net level, which is a product of having a lower stance.

But this is assuming your hitting partner can block a low loop/drive.  Usually one side practices blocking/counter hitting while the other side practices looping.  Both sides need to keep the ball in play and in control.  No point if one side decides to kill the ball or hit the ball to random spots on the table.  That's call playing, not practicing.

Stroke should end above your right eyebrow.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
cdubdub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdubdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2012 at 12:09am

its a mirror Dead

I understood it very well, even laughed out loud, and I am 100% American. Never talked to a true Brit longer than 5 minutes
butterfly tbs
dhs tin arc
sriver- l
Infinite.Potential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite.Potential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2012 at 1:40am
You say you are a pen hold player.  Your grip is a bit unusual for a pen hold with your fingers all up the back the way they are.  You may have, but I did not see you attempt to hit a convential pen hold backhand.  Given the grip, and no loss of conventional pen hold backhand, I would suggest moving to a shake hands grip.  There would be some transition on the forehand, but I don't think at your level it would not take long to to make the change.  It would be much easier to hit your backhand using a shake hands grip (though no easier than hitting a conventional pen hold backhand but you don't seem to want to do that). 

If you want to continue to use a pen hold grip, you should learn the conventional pen hold backhand, with the warning that it may require you to change to a more conventional pen hold grip.

Why doesn't a tennis player want to move?  I thought there court was bigger than ours. ;)

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2012 at 2:41am
Originally posted by cdubdub cdubdub wrote:

its a mirror Dead

I understood it very well, even laughed out loud, and I am 100% American. Never talked to a true Brit longer than 5 minutes

I can see why.
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2012 at 4:34am

its a mirror Dead

Hehe, good one! LOL
I think I might have hidden British genes in me LOL

Edited by Rainer87 - 05/11/2012 at 4:34am
Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic