Print Page | Close Window

Club Match

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Video of me playing
Forum Description: Post your playing videos and get tips and suggestions from other members.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57930
Printed Date: 04/29/2024 at 4:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Club Match
Posted By: Piri
Subject: Club Match
Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 2:00pm
Hi guys!

This is a video of me and one of my club friends playing last night, I wonder if you could give me some tips on how to improve my game.

Also I'd like to know which do you guys think would be my USA ratings!

Im the one with the Red Boll shirt, this is the first time we record a game the nerves are shown on many mistakes hahahahahahaa

Thanks guys!

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.
FH: BTY Tenergy 05 2.1
BH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1

Replies:
Posted By: jrscatman
Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 2:42pm
Don't stay on you heels, stay on balls of your feet - try to move forward on contact. Also, I would advise to watch the Brian Pace video on timing the strokes.

Funny you appear to be higher level player than I am - yet I am giving you advice - actually I am just telling you the stuff I don't do!

-------------
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Don't stay on you heels, stay on balls of your feet - try to move forward on contact. Also, I would advise to watch the Brian Pace video on timing the strokes.

Funny you appear to be higher level player than I am - yet I am giving you advice - actually I am just telling you the stuff I don't do!

Players usually have a higher lever than their coach, knowledge and game play are two different aspects of the game! 

Thank you very much for your comment I'll appreciate it jrscatman !

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Posted By: The Shakehander
Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 4:21pm
In a America you'll be rated a "pro" :) LOL

Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 6:58pm
Hahahahah i mean the USATT rating haha the 1,500, 2,000 etc hahaha I have always wonder which level I am!
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

In a America you'll be rated a "pro" :) LOL

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Posted By: cmetsbeltran15
Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 7:11pm
I'd say about 1700

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

I'd say about 1700
We've already proven from those guess the rating threads how hard it is to guess.  Still, I'd say 1700 is way low.  His serves, strokes, service return and footwork are a heck of a lot better than any 1700 players I've seen, including Nationals and the Baltimore Teams.  1900? 2000? Hard to guess without seeing other videos.

Posted By: cmetsbeltran15
Date Posted: 02/21/2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

I'd say about 1700
We've already proven from those guess the rating threads how hard it is to guess.  Still, I'd say 1700 is way low.  His serves, strokes, service return and footwork are a heck of a lot better than any 1700 players I've seen, including Nationals and the Baltimore Teams.  1900? 2000? Hard to guess without seeing other videos.

Any 1900+ I know would have a field day with those soft blocks and counters...

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 02/21/2013 at 12:21am
I wanted to say solid 1800 because a 1900/2000 player will attack those quite high serves, be better at the short game and block those loops consistently so if you get a win against a player your style who is 1900-2000 it will be 1 out of 5 or 6 matches, if that; more rarely in a rated tourney for sure.
Solid 1800 player means average club player who knows all strokes, read all spins but does not play enough to be super consistent and so will do many mistakes that he will avoid with more training (playing at least 3 times a week). Often such a player will have easy to return serves (no surprise effect), unsafe return of serves (90% of pushes are too long), 3rd ball attack that can be really good or missed (50/50), ok blocks, nice smashes, poor defense away from the table and mad at himself when missing lol.
HEY I described by own game pretty well here Big smile. Do you recognize yourself in the description?

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:31am
Hmmm... I don't know.  I did say judging from a single video is notoriously inaccurate.  Still, there's no way they're under 1700.  The strokes are fundamentally sound, and I could show you a long list of players up to 1900 with bad fundaments.  Their footwork isn't great but they do move and they usually keep their balance, which puts them ahead of most players under 1800.  I got the feeling that a certain amount of what they did was because they were so familiar with each other's style.  Why work too hard on your serves when the other guy knows them so well anyway?

You have more respect for the 1900 players than I do.  I think you need to look at 2050+ to see more reliable technique.  So I'll go with 1850-1900 for these guys.

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:41am
Cool video but all too nice, get stuck in man, I think you have potential to play alot harder

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Posted By: tomkat22
Date Posted: 02/22/2013 at 2:49pm
1700-1900. Shouldn't you be on the baseball diamond? Dozens and dozens of great baseball players have come from the Dominican Republic. 

Date Posted: 02/23/2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I wanted to say solid 1800 because a 1900/2000 player will attack those quite high serves, be better at the short game and block those loops consistently so if you get a win against a player your style who is 1900-2000 it will be 1 out of 5 or 6 matches, if that; more rarely in a rated tourney for sure.
Solid 1800 player means average club player who knows all strokes, read all spins but does not play enough to be super consistent and so will do many mistakes that he will avoid with more training (playing at least 3 times a week). Often such a player will have easy to return serves (no surprise effect), unsafe return of serves (90% of pushes are too long), 3rd ball attack that can be really good or missed (50/50), ok blocks, nice smashes, poor defense away from the table and mad at himself when missing lol.
HEY I described by own game pretty well here Big smile. Do you recognize yourself in the description?

Some parts of the descriptions I have to admit i recognize myself, I have to push myself in training I'm back playing after a 2 year break, I used to train everyday from monday to saturday, this days I only get to play and no training at all.

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Date Posted: 02/23/2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by tomkat22 tomkat22 wrote:

1700-1900. Shouldn't you be on the baseball diamond? Dozens and dozens of great baseball players have come from the Dominican Republic. 

Yeah, actually I think we are the country who exports the biggest number of major league baseball, hopefully it will be shown in the upcoming baseball classic! (not like the last 2 tournaments hahaha)

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Posted By: LoopsALot
Date Posted: 02/23/2013 at 1:02pm
I'd say 1639

-------------
729 6030L $18
DHS TG3 NEO $17
Gambler Outlaw $14
USATT 1640

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 02/24/2013 at 8:03am
Not gunna get into the rating by video thing at this point. 

I can say two things that will immensly improve your playing and forum level if you execute them.

1. Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

2. Continue to wear cool-looking proper TT clothing and make moar vids for the forum.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: Whang
Date Posted: 02/24/2013 at 8:13am

Why work too hard on your serves when the other guy knows them so well anyway?

I was actually gonna comment on the serves...sometimes it feels as if you are serving just for the heck of serving cause as benfb said, you know each other's serves so well anyway...

But I think that you still should give it your all when serving, even if the player knows it too well already. You MIGHT carry that relaxed habit even against others subconsciously. Besides, every serve is an opportunity to practice your serves. Try a little variation, etc etc. Just my two cents :)

-------------
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g

Date Posted: 02/24/2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Not gunna get into the rating by video thing at this point. 

I can say two things that will immensly improve your playing and forum level if you execute them.

1. Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

2. Continue to wear cool-looking proper TT clothing and make moar vids for the forum.

Awesome advice, specially number 2 hahahahahahahahah

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Date Posted: 02/24/2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

Why work too hard on your serves when the other guy knows them so well anyway?

I was actually gonna comment on the serves...sometimes it feels as if you are serving just for the heck of serving cause as benfb said, you know each other's serves so well anyway...

But I think that you still should give it your all when serving, even if the player knows it too well already. You MIGHT carry that relaxed habit even against others subconsciously. Besides, every serve is an opportunity to practice your serves. Try a little variation, etc etc. Just my two cents :)

This is something I need to work on, even tough he knows my services and all, I have a tendency to leave long and high serves which he attacks and wins a lot of points.

-------------
Nittaku Acoustic St.

Posted By: mickd
Date Posted: 07/17/2015 at 1:12am
Btw, nice round play from both of you. I think you're both better than I am. 

What I would suggest is to try and convert more of those balls into winners. Maybe do some third ball drills where you both take turns serving as best as you can, and trying to convert them into winners.

Also try and hit the ball closer to your bodies. I've been told by a lot of people at my local club that I need to wait longer before hitting the ball to avoid reaching.

Good luck!

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise this thread was 2 years old. Hopefully my advice will still help others who may have a similar game to the OP.

Posted By: takethat
Date Posted: 07/17/2015 at 9:17am
Planning a trip to Puerto Plata, (city) is there lots of clubs, will spend about a month at least

-------------
sharkcard

Posted By: APW46
Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:36am

Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

Sorry, I completely disagree, it is good to strike the ball well in front of the body on both wings, I constantly coach it.

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:42am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Do not hit so far in front of your body. It is out of your effective strike zone and you lose a lot of control doing that.

Sorry, I completely disagree, it is good to strike the ball well in front of the body on both wings, I constantly coach it.
When hitting in front of the body - is there grip modification from the standard grips taught in TT?

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Posted By: Tinykin
Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 3:58am

Thumbs Up You + every competent coach. It's a basic for advanced play.

-------------
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset

Posted By: Tk5
Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 8:46am

When hitting in front of the body - is there grip modification from the standard grips taught in TT?

Yes you always want to catch the ball in front of your body especially on fh. If you contact the ball to the side of the body you are losing so much quality in your shot because you are likely getting the ball on its decline, not getting a full swing and giving your opponent much more time. You are also losing a lot of control by contacting to the side of the body.  This is just proper technique so of course there is no grip modification necessary. 

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 9:10am
It is really hard to guess the ratings based on a video because you can't really tell the quality of their shots. However, if I were to take a guess I would say they most resemble players at the 1700-1800 level.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Tk5 Tk5 wrote:

Yes you always want to catch the ball in front of your body especially on fh. If you contact the ball to the side of the body you are losing so much quality in your shot because you are likely getting the ball on its decline, not getting a full swing and giving your opponent much more time. You are also losing a lot of control by contacting to the side of the body.  This is just proper technique so of course there is no grip modification necessary. 

Yes, exactly right.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:03pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile
Then wrist needs to be cocked back on the FH. In the video OP, has traditional grip with straight wrist. In this case, he can only hit comfortably on his side. To make contact in front of him, I think he would have to lay his wrist back or use a different forehand specific grip. Unless there is another way to do this I'm missing.
Grip can limit/expand the versatility in a stroke, but does not affect the striking point of the ball in relation to the body to such a degree that a player can't use his wrist. 
The wrist flexes through 360 degrees and this allows a smooth action through the plain of many variations in the f/hand stroke. You don't always have to follow the top Chinese to get the best out of what you are capable of.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:09pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile
Then wrist needs to be cocked back on the FH. In the video OP, has traditional grip with straight wrist. In this case, he can only hit comfortably on his side. To make contact in front of him, I think he would have to lay his wrist back or use a different forehand specific grip. Unless there is another way to do this I'm missing.

BHman was telling the OP to not hit in front of the body. Not exactly sure what you mean. I don't see a problem with his grip.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:20pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile

BHman was telling the OP to not hit in front of the body. Not exactly sure what you mean. I don't see a problem with his grip.
I am suggesting in order to hit in front of his body - grip and wrist position needs to be changed. If you keep a straight wrist on FH, you can only hit the ball comfortably on the side of the body. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:38pm
If he hits the ball at the correct timing point, his grip will alter itself for the better

-------------

Posted By: Ringer84
Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:39pm
I find all this talk about the "correct" place to hit the ball in relationship to the body to be a little silly. Where you hit the ball in relation to the body is entirely dependent on whether or not you are playing the ball cross court or down the line.  If you are playing the ball down the line, the contact point is deeper in the hitting zone.

Here's Ma Long playing a 1 FH, 1 BH transition into his opponent's BH.  Is he striking the ball in front of his body?  No, because he's playing the ball down the line. You can see this pretty clearly from the side-on view.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=ddVkXRh1UeY&p=n#/1162;1168" rel="nofollow - http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=ddVkXRh1UeY&p=n#/1162;1168

-------------
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:49pm
Hitting in front of the body makes a big difference. If you can transfer weight to the front foot at the same time much more power. However, I've had have issues with the correct grip. Perhaps as was suggested above "contact point" should be my focus and not the grip. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:50pm
I'd say 1500.
You seem to be moving backwards often for no reason.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I find all this talk about the "correct" place to hit the ball in relationship to the body to be a little silly. Where you hit the ball in relation to the body is entirely dependent on whether or not you are playing the ball cross court or down the line.  If you are playing the ball down the line, the contact point is deeper in the hitting zone.

Here's Ma Long playing a 1 FH, 1 BH transition into his opponent's BH.  Is he striking the ball in front of his body?  No, because he's playing the ball down the line. You can see this pretty clearly from the side-on view.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=ddVkXRh1UeY&p=n#/1162;1168" rel="nofollow - http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=ddVkXRh1UeY&p=n#/1162;1168

Yah ma long is contacting in front of the body because his trunk is rotating. Think of your two shoulders as creating a triangle. When your playing arm goes back your left shoulder rotates as well because you should be turning your trunk. Contact is always in the front tip of the triangle, doesn't matter cross court or down the line.. You ask any top player or any competent coach they will tell you the same. What is silly is that this is even being debated; I mean this is fh looping 101. Also, unless you are holding the racket really unorthodoxly, grip has nothing to do with not being able to contact the ball in front of the body.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 1:29pm

Yes, exactly right.Smile
the only reason it is wrong to hit the ball on the side of the body instead forward (45 degrees) is that the paddle has not had time to get to full speed at that moment; acceleration is not  yet at its maximum value. that's it; the comment about "you are likely getting the ball on its decline" is wrong and misleading; same for "giving your opponent much more time". 
It is possible to hit on the side of the body close to the table so those comments are totally off topic when it is about answering the question "why is it wrong to contact the ball on the side of the body". Only in the middle of those 2 wrong statements you introduce something right : "not getting a full swing"; yes, not getting a full swing is the only reason why it is wrong to hit the ball on the side of the body; everything else was unrelated to the question so it was confusing.
I guess tk5 is a high level club player because he plays a lot, not because he understands the game; there are a lot of people like that so no need to feel bad about it.

Wow shots fired. If you are contacting the ball to the side of the body and close to the table that means you are standing too far from the ball. In that case you are not getting the ball on its decline. If you have a normal body position and are waiting for the ball to get to the side of your body most likely you are getting the ball after the top of its bounce which of course means you are contacting late thus giving your opponent more time.

So what is your rating FATT? Why single me out? I guess APW doesn't understand the game either since he said "yes exactly right".

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 1:31pm
Here is a picture of Ma Long's point of contact for a down-the-line loop into his opponent's BH. 

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 1:33pm
People can make their own decisions about whether or not he is hitting the ball in front of his body or to the side of his body.  A visual image is more useful in these situations.  I personally would call this hitting the ball to the SIDE of the body or even slightly behind the body, waiting for the ball to come deeper into the hitting zone (as BH man is describing).

But, whatever... this argument is more about perspective and semantics than anything. And you can obviously manipulate the wrist slightly in order to change the direction of your shot, regardless of your contact point.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 1:38pm

Here is a picture of Ma Long's point of contact for a down-the-line loop into his opponent's BH. 

Exactly. Look at his shoulders, the ball is in between them.  If he was contacting to the side that would mean the ball would be parallel to his right shoulder.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 1:51pm

Exactly. Look at his shoulders, the ball is in between them.  If he was contacting to the side that would mean the ball would be parallel to his right shoulder.

Right, I gotcha.  You are looking at the player as a rotating unit and describing the point of contact as "side" or "back" depending on where in the rotation the player hits the ball.  But this is not what BH- Man was saying.  Imagine Ma Long stretching his arm forward and reaching for the ball and contacting it very close to the table's endline - this is what BH-Man is saying NOT to do and what he means by hitting the ball too far in front of the body.

Regardless of how you view it, the takeaway here is to not be impatient and  reach forward at the ball and sap your power.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:05pm

Right, I gotcha.  You are looking at the player as a rotating unit and describing the point of contact as "side" or "back" depending on where in the rotation the player hits the ball.  But this is not what BH- Man was saying.  Imagine Ma Long stretching his arm forward and reaching for the ball and contacting it very close to the table's endline - this is what BH-Man is saying NOT to do and what he means by hitting the ball too far in front of the body.

Regardless of how you view it, the takeaway here is to not be impatient and  reach forward at the ball and sap your power.

Well if he is trying to say not to contact his fh off the bounce than that is correct. If the ball doesn't have much pace then it will be a shorter ball which means you have to extend more forward. 

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:15pm
Also looking at the video again that's not his contact point. You are a split second too early.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:18pm
Quote Well if he is trying to say not to contact his fh off the bounce than that is correct. If the ball doesn't have much pace then it will be a shorter ball which means you have to extend more forward.

Right, exactly.  If the ball came short, he would have to reach forward in order to even hit the ball at all.   This is why a lot of the posters on this forum like V-Griper, BH-Man, and Nextlevel are constantly stressing the importance of in-and-out footwork and the ability to judge the depth of the incoming shot rather than the more popular side-to-side footwork drills (Faulkenberg, FH attack from all over the table, etc.).  Ma Long doesn't suck like I do,  so he is able to perfectly judge the incoming depth of every ball, which allows him to always hit the ball with optimum contact point and not have to reach forward and sap his power.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:21pm

Also looking at the video again that's not his contact point. You are a split second too early.

That may be true.  It's difficult to get a perfectly timed screenshot on a video that's only in 480p.  It's pretty close to his true contact point, though.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:28pm

Quote Well if he is trying to say not to contact his fh off the bounce than that is correct. If the ball doesn't have much pace then it will be a shorter ball which means you have to extend more forward.

Right, exactly.  If the ball came short, he would have to reach forward in order to even hit the ball at all.   This is why a lot of the posters on this forum like V-Griper, BH-Man, and Nextlevel are constantly stressing the importance of in-and-out footwork and the ability to judge the depth of the incoming shot rather than the more popular side-to-side footwork drills (Faulkenberg, FH attack from all over the table, etc.).  Ma Long doesn't suck like I do,  so he is able to perfectly judge the incoming depth of every ball, which allows him to always hit the ball with optimum contact point and not have to reach forward and sap his power.

Na you don't suck ringer. I have seen your videos and your results at the MDTTC tournaments. You are an up and coming player. Keep fighting!

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 2:36pm

That may be true.  It's difficult to get a perfectly timed screenshot on a video that's only in 480p.  It's pretty close to his true contact point, though.

That split second is important though. In the picture he hasn't brought his trunk forward. His contact will be while he is going forward with his trunk.

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 4:34pm
The most important reason for hitting the ball in front of your body has nothing to do with technique.
 I don't know enough about Ma Long's situation to make a judgement, but i learned long ago that hitting the ball in front of you keeps the ball, the table and the player all in view, it makes you quicker, covers the crossover point more easily and enables you to track your opponent.
It might be different at top world level,  (Its not) but I guess not many of us are gonna get there.

Don't get obsessed with technique perfection guys, as long as it is solid and falls within the boundaries of what constitutes an acceptable level of power and consistency, it can be part of a quality players game. Have a look at world class players who don't have what is currently perceived to be a 'perfect technique' ( most of them) and ask yourself how they ever managed to get so good.

Kreanga Anyone ? or how about Schlager I wish I had their technique flaws.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 6:30pm

The most important reason for hitting the ball in front of your body has nothing to do with technique.
 I don't know enough about Ma Long's situation to make a judgement, but i learned long ago that hitting the ball in front of you keeps the ball, the table and the player all in view, it makes you quicker, covers the crossover point more easily and enables you to track your opponent.
It might be different at top world level,  (Its not) but I guess not many of us are gonna get there.

Don't get obsessed with technique perfection guys, as long as it is solid and falls within the boundaries of what constitutes an acceptable level of power and consistency, it can be part of a quality players game. Have a look at world class players who don't have what is currently perceived to be a 'perfect technique' ( most of them) and ask yourself how they ever managed to get so good.

APW46,

I know that you are a much higher level player than I am (just like Tk), so I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong.  But let me ask you a few questions, if you don't mind:

1) Have you ever videotaped your FH down the line from the side camera angle, similar to the Ma Long picture I posted above?  The reason I ask is because I used to think I was contacting the ball in front of my body  when I viewed my loop from the front and back camera angles, but when I looked at it from dead side on I realized that my contact point was later than I thought it was.

2) If you really are hitting down the line shots in front of your body, can you explain how you manipulate your wrist in order to achieve this?  How is your swing different from Simon Gerada, who also contacts the ball late and to the side of his body (side using my definition, not tks) to go down the line?

Although it might sound like I'm disagreeing with you, I often find that I need to think about hitting the ball out in front when playing forehands.  It's just when I look at myself on tape I find that's not what is actually happening.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 7:39pm

Yah good point. Technique is not the subject it is more about having the right approach to the shot. By crossover point do you mean the cross-step movement from playing a step around fh to a fh in the fh side or corner. If so, yes it makes that shot more effective because when you turn and play a quality fh to the opponents bh or middle you are almost always going to get a ball back to the bh side of the table, so then you know you can sit on the bh corner and play another strong fh. However, if your opponent is really strong and plays your quality fh turn down the line you will have less time because by taking the ball earlier you are also getting a return from opponent back quicker, making covering the wide fh more difficult. However, if it is a strong fh step around you hit, not only is the likelihood of the opponent changing directions lower, the likelihood of the opponent changing directions and playing a quality block or counterspin is even lower. 

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 9:41pm
Ringer,

Think in terms of the golden point (elbow) and optimal contact point theory. What tk5 and APW46 are saying is really correct. It is possible to be a good player with late contact (in fact, many high level Nigerians are notorious for doing it) but it is suboptimal.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Ringer,

Think in terms of the golden point (elbow) and optimal contact point theory. What tk5 and APW46 are saying is really correct. It is possible to be a good player with late contact (in fact, many high level Nigerians are notorious for doing it) but it is suboptimal.

So then you disagree with Simon Gerada's video that I posted above or think it is suboptimal?  The down the line forehand that Gerada demonstrates in that video is what I am considering "late" contact.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 10:45pm

Ringer,

So then you disagree with Simon Gerada's video that I posted above?  The down the line forehand that Gerada demonstrates in that video is what I am considering "late" contact.

You turn your shoulders more. Not sure what you are asking me to disagree with.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 10:47pm

Ringer,

So then you disagree with Simon Gerada's video that I posted above?  The down the line forehand that Gerada demonstrates in that video is what I am considering "late" contact.

You turn your shoulders more. Not sure what you are asking me to disagree with.

Right. You turn your shoulders more to enable a later contact and to hit the ball deeper in the hitting zone.

Edit: Again, I think it's just semantics.  If you don't think that Gerada's down the line FH is in any way suboptimal, then we are agreeing and not disagreeing.  What Gerada is advcocating is what I've been trying to say for the entire thread - if you want to go down the line, you turn your shoulders more and hit the ball later... in contrast with hitting the ball farther out in front and laying your wrist back to fade the ball.

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 11:06pm
The stroke is in front of you. It is at the same point optimally relative to the restof the body. There are other suboptimal techniques (and I am notorious for using quite a few of them), but nothing that changes the main point. The point is that if you turn your shoulders more, you are moving your golden point and your optimal strike zone as the rotation changes the front of your body when you contact the ball. This might be semantics to you, but it makes more sense to understand the technique.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/18/2015 at 11:15pm

The stroke is in front of you. It is at the same point optimally relative to the restof the body. There are other suboptimal techniques (and I am notorious for using quite a few of them), but nothing that changes the main point. The point is that if you turn your shoulders more, you are moving your golden point and your optimal strike zone as the rotation changes the front of your body when you contact the ball. This might be semantics to you, but it makes more sense to understand the technique.

I agree with all of this. WHEW!

-------------
Timo Boll Spirit

Date Posted: 07/19/2015 at 3:09am

APW46,

I know that you are a much higher level player than I am (just like Tak), so I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong.  But let me ask you a few questions, if you don't mind:

1) Have you ever videotaped your FH down the line from the side camera angle, similar to the Ma Long picture I posted above?  The reason I ask is because I used to think I was contacting the ball in front of my body  when I viewed my loop from the front and back camera angles, but when I looked at it from dead side on I realized that my contact point was later than I thought it was.

2) If you really are hitting down the line shots in front of your body, can you explain how you manipulate your wrist in order to achieve this?  How is your swing different from Simon Gerada, who also contacts the ball late and to the side of his body (side using my definition, not taks) to go down the line?

Although it might sound like I'm disagreeing with you, I often find that I need to think about hitting the ball out in front when playing forehands.  It's just when I look at myself on tape I find that's not what is actually happening.

I know the question was not asked to me and I hope it's ok I attempt to answer it because I am interested: I think whatever we try to do we'll always be a little late, especially when we work at learning or getting better at something; a typical example: if we want to hit the ball on top of its bounce and we think hard about doing it, most of the time we'll hit it later than that; we need to trick ourselves to contact with ball closer to its off-the-bounce area to contact it at the highest point of its trajectory; it's just a trick but it works well in the developing stage of the stroke.
For a forehand contacting more forward, the stroke simply has to start earlier if the player on tape figures he is contacting more on the side; while taping yourself think of hitting more off the bounce and see the results.
note: I observe if we face the table the power zone in theory is 45 degrees forward from our playing hip at about 80% of our arm's length; however in practice the hips and torso have already rotated when reaching contact point that is in fact on the side of the playing hip while the torso faces 45 degrees away from the side lines; so when we say forward it is forward only relatively to a theoretical fixed stance facing the table. I thought it was worth mentioning to avoid confusions.

Simon Gerada is using a delay in timing point to direct the ball, rather than keeping the same timing point and moving his torso in line with where he is directing the ball. This makes his attacking stroke far harder to read directionally for his opponent, however he is up to the table and using incoming power. He is demonstrating how to use variations in technique and timing to deceive your opponent.

-------------

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 07/19/2015 at 9:27am

Don't get obsessed with technique perfection guys, as long as it is solid and falls within the boundaries of what constitutes an acceptable level of power and consistency, it can be part of a quality players game.

This.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net