FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rate me please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate me please
    Posted: 02/22/2012 at 6:26am
Hi,

I put a video online of me playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgm37596fA&feature=youtu.be

I am in blue shirt. My partner (red shirt) is easily in the top 100 players in Italy. Here he is only doing push and block, not playing for real. We are serving underspin only.

What usatt rating do you think I'd have?

Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZVvTapZOkg&feature=youtu.be

This is a warmup against a long-pips player, but he is not using pips here (the camera batteries expired :) ).

I'll put other videos against a short-pips player and a looper when I have time.

Edit: I posted other clips in the comments below, such as this one.

Edited by seguso - 02/24/2012 at 3:06am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Sponsored Links

Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 8:24am
Overall very good, but if I were to get into more detail I'd say:

Fh is almost there, maybe a bit loose but in any case that's relatively easy to tighten up.

Bh is a bit stiff and you're not really using your wrist. If you were to change to a slower/softer rubber on the bh I think you'd find it harder to put power and spin into it. No problem with the drives in the second video though.

Also, try to have a slightly lower stance and I was gonna say watch your footwork but I think it's just that you're too relaxed.

Edited by Lestat - 02/22/2012 at 8:39am
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 8:29am

who no know go know
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

Overall very good, but if I were to get into more detail I'd say:

Fh is almost there, maybe a bit loose but in any case that's relatively easy to tighten up.

Bh is a bit stiff and you're not really using your wrist. If you were to change to a slower/softer rubber on the bh I think you'd find it harder to put power and spin into it. No problem with the drives in the second video though.

Also, try to have a slightly lower stance and I was gonna say watch your footwork but I think it's just that you're too relaxed.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

Fh better than bh: this surprises me, because they say I am a natural bh, especially the opening loop, whereas my fh is artificial. Usually I make a lot of points with my bh opening loops, but it doesn't show in the video, because the partner is a very good player and can block everything.

About the lower stance: you hit the nail on the head. I have to keep my legs wider and my butt lower. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

About being too loose and relaxed: I agree I look like that, but actually while playing I am not relaxed at all. I'm not sure what I can do about that. I guess I am just not very fit physically.

--

I have been playing TT for exactly 24 months by the way. But when I was a teenager I was a tennis player (Second division).

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:16am
I rate you very good for 24 months! I can't say for sure what rating from clips but I can't imagine the above guys 1800 isn't very far from the fact. No doubt in my mind you will go past 2000 in the not so distant future with the already strong forehand you have, backhand is much weaker than your forehand, still ok but the forehand is very good
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:21am
I forgot something, with your backhand. If you start the stroke with your wrist and blade down instead of up it will be much better. More spin and you will be able to choose between more variation of shots right before you play the ball. It might pay to drop your wrist a bit on the forehand side also but all in all you are doing well

Edited by bluebucket - 02/22/2012 at 9:23am
ejmeser View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmeser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Agreed.

You seem to be consistent but you have to work on your strokes little bit more. And also, your rating would be based on matches, not practices. We can't really see how you play in actual game. You can be consistent plaing vs oponents who you know how to play, but we would like to see you plaing full game. P.s: don't use your bh on your fh side! Wink

Good vids tho, keep up the good job!
*Madridista*

My Feedback
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:29am
I think you are over 1850.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:41am
I like your backhand opener. I feel more wrist would make it even better but it's already very good. Also you're Italian, I don't think USATT ratings apply to you
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I forgot something, with your backhand. If you start the stroke with your wrist and blade down instead of up it will be much better. More spin and you will be able to choose between more variation of shots right before you play the ball.

Thanks for the comments!

In opening loop I already do that, so I assume you refer to bh looping against block. One problem is, vega pro has a very high throw, and the ball already tends to go out. I think I'll switch to calibra spin. Another problem is that, after the opening loop, I tend to drive instead of looping. I have to work on this.

It might pay to drop your wrist a bit on the forehand side also but all in all you are doing well

I can see the problem visually, and my coach tells me the same, and I am working on it. Usually when switching from bh to fh I forget (or I don't have time) to drop my wrist down.
ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:07am
he is much better than 1800.... i was 1800 like 2 years ago and i was not nearly as good as him i dont think....

2000 imo
Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:09am
would someone be willing to embed the video(s)?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ejmeser ejmeser wrote:

Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

Agreed.

You seem to be consistent but you have to work on your strokes little bit more. ... P.s: don't use your bh on your fh side! Wink

In my defense, I am actually much more consistent that that usually. Maybe it does not show from the angle, but the blocks of my partner were very quick and well placed (and he was focusing on just blocking) so I made a lot of mistakes.

You're right about opening with the backhand. :)

Thank you!

Edited by seguso - 02/22/2012 at 10:12am
so_devo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote so_devo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:19am
The video - at least the first one - is edited. Are all points included (i.e. just eliminating the ball collection time?). If the 'mistakes are omitted, it is very hard to judge how good/consistent someone is.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by so_devo so_devo wrote:

The video - at least the first one - is edited. Are all points included (i.e. just eliminating the ball collection time?). If the 'mistakes are omitted, it is very hard to judge how good/consistent someone is.

I just removed ball collection time and 3 service mistakes from both players. I left all my mistakes. :P
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 10:43am
I always watch the things going on in the background or balls on the ground to see how much editing has been done, there was only minimal editing in this.  Seguso, what I meant with your backhand was that you don't start the stroke with the blade pointing back and down, sometimes it's level rather than up. 

What happens when you are starting the stroke with the blade up is that you are almost committed to blocking the ball straight or hitting a backhand without much spin and for that matter not much speed since you can't involve your wrist. When you start the stroke with the wrist dropped you can hit either side of the ball for a natural curve into the right hander or fade it away from him or you can block or punch, you can choose between all these in a fraction of a second depending on what the opponent is doing. It's a big advantage compared to what you are doing now so please take the advice :), you'll notice a lot less balls from your backhand flying long because they will have a lot heavier spin on them too

edit: this video has been posted 100 times before but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about compared to your stroke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3inKrRCDiCY Henzell is using T05 on the backhand so no excuses about Vega pro being high throw Wink

Edited by bluebucket - 02/22/2012 at 10:48am
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 11:11am
Impossible to judge when you're playing against opponents who are just blocking. I've seen 1200 players who look like monsters in warmups but then when you start giving them difficult balls, they crumble. I'd guess you're at least >1600 based on what I see, but we need to see how you handle more difficult attacks.
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 11:31am
Here is another clip

http://youtu.be/RfMdRP9d1i0

but this one is edited to only show rallies, as there were lots of mistakes (because my opponent could not stand the pace so he was playing a "kill or miss" strategy, making the game unwatchable).
sticharo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by chopchopslam chopchopslam wrote:

I I've seen 1200 players who look like monsters in warmups but then when you start giving them difficult balls, they crumble. I'd guess you're at least >1600 based on what I see, but we need to see how you handle more difficult attacks.

Bingo. In casual rallies/warmups I look like 2000. Then reality sets in when I have to start returning serves in real games.Smile 
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I always watch the things going on in the background or balls on the ground to see how much editing has been done, there was only minimal editing in this.  Seguso, what I meant with your backhand was that you don't start the stroke with the blade pointing back and down, sometimes it's level rather than up. 

What happens when you are starting the stroke with the blade up is that you are almost committed to blocking the ball straight or hitting a backhand without much spin and for that matter not much speed since you can't involve your wrist. When you start the stroke with the wrist dropped you can hit either side of the ball for a natural curve into the right hander or fade it away from him or you can block or punch, you can choose between all these in a fraction of a second depending on what the opponent is doing. It's a big advantage compared to what you are doing now so please take the advice :), you'll notice a lot less balls from your backhand flying long because they will have a lot heavier spin on them too

edit: this video has been posted 100 times before but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about compared to your stroke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3inKrRCDiCY Henzell is using T05 on the backhand so no excuses about Vega pro being high throw Wink

I appreciate your help. I am trying to understand what you mean by wrist dropped. In Henzell's video, I do see that the hand starts below the table, and moves upwards, but at the same time I do not see the wrist dropped, i.e. I don't see the blade tip pointing down. I see the blade brushing the ball from above. I'll have another look though.

At first I thought you were describing Schlager's backhand. That one seems to me to fit your description more: he starts with the wrist dropped (blade rather open) and then he rotates and closes the blade during the shot.

Anyway, I need to learn backhand loop against block, that's for sure. Cry
Rainer87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 11:53am

I found somefind like this:

Videos of Players of Various Levels

I was wondering what I might be in usa rating, can I post my video over here?

Blade: YEO
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Neubauer Diamant
http://www.youtube.com/koletis20
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I appreciate your help. I am trying to understand what you mean by wrist dropped. In Henzell's video, I do see that the hand starts below the table, and moves upwards, but at the same time I do not see the wrist dropped, i.e. I don't see the blade tip pointing down. I see the blade brushing the ball from above. I'll have another look though.

At first I thought you were describing Schlager's backhand. That one seems to me to fit your description more: he starts with the wrist dropped (blade rather open) and then he rotates and closes the blade during the shot.

Anyway, I need to learn backhand loop against block, that's for sure. Cry

What you are missing is where the swing starts, your wrist should be bent, that's where you get the spin from on a backhand topspin, without that you wont have spin and you'll be hitting backhands long like you are doing.  The power comes from the straightening of the forearm. Watch from 2:58 onwards again, just try it, it'll become obvious what to do once you rip one for a winner

Edited by bluebucket - 02/22/2012 at 12:16pm
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 12:13pm
1700-2100 usatt. Like others have said, practice play is much different from match play. In practice you know what is coming so you easily dictate/control the game. In a match video you don't have that cushion, it is earned. 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 2:30pm

Here is another clip

but this one is edited to only show rallies, as there were lots of mistakes (because my opponent could not stand the pace so he was playing a "kill or miss" strategy, making the game unwatchable).

Based on this video I would rate you 1750-1800.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 7:07pm
Seguso,

Is there someone you can play with who can return short and low or with heavy underspin, both with good placement?
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Here is another clip

Based on this video I would rate you 1750-1800.

sound about right
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 7:45pm
I'm a little over 1800, and I think you're definitely a solid level above me.  Just your strokes alone in terms of power and consistency, especially when looping backspins, puts you above 1800.  You're very good with both FH and BH, as well as having smooth transitions, and that puts you above 2000.  The reason I hesitate to put you much over 2000 is because your services seem to lack deception and variations, which IMO doesn't jive well with your aggressive game that could really take advantage of some pop-ups from the opponent.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
xander7803 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xander7803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 8:49pm
you should also bend your knees a bit when you are playing! your fh stroke is good but you stop your motion past middle of stroke. if you would commit all the way to the end your fh topspin would be spinnier and more devastating!!! your bh is pretty good but again you are too stiff on your feet! again if you lower your stance a tiny bit your bh will also improve. also try to cover and guide your bh shot with your wrist. i hope i make sense to you my man! overall my hat off to you for playing only for a year!!! i know players who play for 15 yrs and they are not even close to your level!!! as for rating? i put you at 2000CDN...
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:02pm
i dont know about rating a player but you are very good, i actually like your BH, you hare a good high arc which i have no doubt has lots of spin, i think i agree with xander you tend to stop your motion on your FH loop, maybe letting go a little would add more speed and spin, anyway you are good and i know you would beat me easily so i dont really know if im qualified to make comments, your loops are nice, my kind of game
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:06pm

Hi,

I put a video online of me playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgm37596fA&feature=youtu.be

I am in blue shirt. My partner (red shirt) is easily in the top 100 players in Italy. Here he is only doing push and block, not playing for real. We are serving underspin only.

What usatt rating do you think I'd have?

Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZVvTapZOkg&feature=youtu.be

This is a warmup against a long-pips player, but he is not using pips here (the camera batteries expired :) ).

I'll put other videos against a short-pips player and a looper when I have time.

Beside your BH/FH strokes, your timing is really good too.  I would say that you are between 1900 to 2000.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic