FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPDATED 20min of FH drives and BH topspins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPDATED 20min of FH drives and BH topspins
    Posted: 06/15/2011 at 10:35am
This is the last 20 minutes of a 3.5 hour of drilling session. I'm trying to work on stamina, but this proved to be truly grueling. It yielded some good footage and a blown lower back.

Not only was I was crippled the next day, but 2 weeks later my back was still shot for the Maine Games tournament.

Was it worth it?
You bet :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90Bzh6fQa8

Here are the abbreviated cuts if you want the minute or so of good stuff without as many glaring errors.

FH highlights at

1:26
2:27
3:27
5:27
8:00

BH highlights at
13:05
13:51
16:53 -> mid distance BH

Highlight of Mixed FH/BH drill
at 20:31

Nearing 40, old habits are hard to break, and this is the second major reworking of my strokes in the last 3 years.

I was pretty pleased with how I've been able to lower/widen my stance to tighten up my FH mechanics (the stroke plane, the recovery) and how I'm learning to relax my wrist on my BH. I still spend too much time admiring my shots, but I think that too is much reduced.

I think my footwork is better on my FH side, and I don't line myself up with my backhand shots enough.

Comments are welcome. Especially from those who saw what I was doing in April.

This was my gameplan after the comments I got in April:

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

1) Widening my stance
2) Moving to the ball BEFORE the stroke
3) dropping my right foot back for FH
4) Balancing my backswing from ready position to followthrough
5) Keeping my stroke plane more consistent and elbow down a bit
6) Spend less time admiring my shots and more time getting into position

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 10:57am
Looking good there icon..
Just remember to use what you practice in games.. your results might be erratic at first but in the long run in will be worth it..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 11:02am
Looks like you are progressively improving but I have a suggestion to really speed up your progress.

You are practising your shots at a speed that's slow enough for your partner to return which isn't fast enough to get players at the levels you want to play at off balance or loose the balance of power in the point. You would be much better to buy a couple hundred training balls and have someone feed you multiball so you can practice your shots with the power you are going to need to win points, you need to keep on pushing this performance envelope so that your body gets used to it and it becomes the normal. You can also use multiball to be forced to move around which increases your foot speed and probably get you a bit lighter also, which will also help lots with your speed, both moving and in the strokes. After 100 fairly rapidly delivered balls side to side your legs wont work any more at first, it's pretty intense. If you can get a couple bags of the bulk 729 training balls it'll be the best $50 you've ever spent in your life

p.s keep up the good work Clap

Edited by bluebucket - 06/15/2011 at 11:02am
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 11:06am
You can also use those balls to sneak down into the garage and spend a few hours practising serves, you can gain a few hundred points on serves alone
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 11:09am
Nice stuff mate keep up the good and hard work.
One thing I will say. Check out Brian Pace's DVD for Forehand Loop. I got it and it has significantly improved my FH in just 1 session. I would definitely recommend it.
No just technique but mentality and tactically.
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 12:20pm
your shoulder must be killing you right now...am i correct?

i would suggest using a bit of a forearm snap. it'll save your shoulder from dying.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 2:21pm
I remember seeing one of your older videos from last year and it looks like you've improved your strokes quite a bit since then. So congratulations on that Smile

FH: as tpgh2k said, you don't use any forearm with your forehand stroke. While I am sure this lends to very good control, you are missing out on power and it makes your stroke slower than it needs to be.

BH: you keep leaning your weight onto your right foot like you are doing a traditional penhold backhand smash or something. You need to get your body behind the ball and take the ball somewhere between your belly button and your left hip. You need to rotate your shoulder forward to prepare and get your elbow out.

I am sure you've seen this before but watch again keeping what I said in mind about the shoulder and elbow and where to take the ball.

Finally, I think your strokes would benefit from you bending your legs more and lowering your body 3 to 5 inches. When the ball is low you are too high above it and end up swinging at your waist.

Edited by BMonkey - 06/15/2011 at 4:18pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

your shoulder must be killing you right now...am i correct?

i would suggest using a bit of a forearm snap. it'll save your shoulder from dying.

Usually you would be!

(because my shoulder carries too much work of the stroke, and often gets ahead of my body)
But on this day I was using my right hip a lot (and my lower back is sore/strained from the rotation).

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

I am sure you've seen this before but watch again keeping what I said in mind about the shoulder and elbow and where to take the ball.

Finally, I think your strokes would benefit from you bending your legs more and lowering your body 3 to 5 inches. When the ball is low you are too high above it and end up swinging at your waist.

Thank you! Very good input! Still, getting lower and wider takes constant mental awareness. I need to put a lot more energy into that to make it "normal". Also, the Kreanga "shoulder forward" idea is something that I need to keep in mind. I appreciate the reminder.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 1:06am
i'm glad your shoulder isn't hurting =). i don't like it when fellow members/friends get injured via TT. i am currently doing conditioning training with the supplement of protein shakes. i just finished doing about a half basket full of constant bh loops/loop drives. boy was my shoulder on fire.

too bad i can't even out both arms.... 
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

ZJKandMLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZJKandMLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2011 at 3:04pm
very good improvement.  just one thing I would like to mention

Although some people are telling you to add power and learn to really improve on finishing shots which you will desperately need in games, it is important for you to establish a consistent stroke.

I think players that can land 8-10 topspins on the table will beat players that can only land 2-3 (even though they hit really hard)

keep up the good work
Blade: Photino
FH: Donic Acuda S1, MAX
BH: Tenergy 64, MAX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 9:42am
bro, if you move and rotate your shoulders more you would avoid crossing your racket arm on your body
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ZJKandMLfan ZJKandMLfan wrote:

very good improvement.  just one thing I would like to mention

Although some people are telling you to add power and learn to really improve on finishing shots which you will desperately need in games, it is important for you to establish a consistent stroke.

I think players that can land 8-10 topspins on the table will beat players that can only land 2-3 (even though they hit really hard)

keep up the good work

Hey thanks! This is the 2nd major reworking of FH mechanics in three years, so it's no surprise that consistency is still the weak point.

I'd like to get my footwork down to where I can adjust to each block and put a medium pace topspin on the table with much greater consistency. Ideally, if one of us makes a blocking/countering error (creating spin variation), the other needs to be able to compensate to get the ball back under control.

Honestly, when my stroke timing is on, I have to use far less effort to produce powerful balls; so I'd rather tighten up the technique and consistency first.

p.s.
and Yogi, I don't understand about rotating shoulders? I am trying to rotate from waist (that's why my lower back is wrecked now :(
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 2:26pm
your feet aren't set when doing the backhand shots. you're facing down the line rather than facing the opponent's backhand corner. that's why you have to swing so far away from your body
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

your feet aren't set when doing the backhand shots. you're facing down the line rather than facing the opponent's backhand corner. that's why you have to swing so far away from your body

good observation about my feet.
the biggest issue i have with BH topspin is squaring myself to the ball for each shot.
(i don't, i reach)

But believe it or not, i have a pretty good mid distance BH topspin; it's both more consistent and more powerful than my close to the table shot, but it's a fairly useless tool because I don't have a gameplan that involves it at all in rallies.  
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 8:24pm
yea, i saw that. your bh topspin from mid-long was pretty crazy. i wish i could get my shots in like that like urs.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 8:29pm
thanks!

but for now it's simply a a useless tool that a coach showed me.
i spent more than a year practicing it (probably closer to two) and have nothing in my game to link it to.

there are exactly zero situations where i am at mid distance and rallying or counterattacking from that side. if someone would explain how to setup points that play out to that stroke, I would be seriously indebted.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2011 at 10:36pm
step 1: well placed attack that forces a block
step 2: take one step back
step 3: follow up with another strong attack
step 4: if the guy is crazy enough to block close to the table
step 5: unleash backhand

Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2011 at 8:18am
You seem to be a lot better from the last time I saw your vid. Keep it up!

And that older lady who is blocking - she will get much much better at blocking in time LOL. Bit like how those parents of TT kids all become freakishly good at blocking their particular kid's shots.

For long range BH, you can try to play like Kreanga. FH, FH, what? still not dead? run around BH!

Edited by Vassily - 06/27/2011 at 8:20am
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2011 at 8:08am
Originally posted by ZJKandMLfan ZJKandMLfan wrote:

+1
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic