FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[Video] FH loop practice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] FH loop practice
    Posted: 06/29/2011 at 5:23am
i'm so gonna catch a lot of crap for this . but here's a vid of me 'trying' to practice my fh loops. emphasis is on form, then spin, then putting it all together.

enjoy!

www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 5:36am
I've seen worse, but your feeder is not good enough to correct the angle of play once you go silghtly out of line, which is why the rallies keep breaking up quickly, but hey, if he's the best you've got you both have to work on it. You both have a tendency to hit with slight fade which does not help for accuracy.
The Older I get, The better I was.
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 10:16am
hey tpgh2k I am a big fan of your videos I am just a bit disappointed about your skill no offense just keep up the goodwork god bless.
Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 10:38am
I'd say target a point and stick with it.  Your partner is constantly having to adjust and he isn't good enough to get you back in play when you go all over the place.  Also, maybe ask your partner to get behind the ball and take more of a blocking stance rather than swinging through with his forehand.  As APW46 said, you both have some draw to your shots and that maybe throwing you off.

Maybe put some money together and get a Newgy 540 or 1040 robot.  Cheaper than a coach, and more consistent in terms of giving you a flow of normal shots to hit back.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 11:14am
APW46 nailed it, so it spoils our chance to pick it apart. Draw is not a bad thing, he is just pointing it out. I think you guys are on the right path. How long have you been playing? 
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 11:26am
Yeah APW nailed it, so did RyKnocks. The biggest problem I see with your drill is that neither party is showing good placement of the ball. If you're practicing a basic stroke, at the very least the feeder needs to be doing little more than blocking.
At this point he is counter hitting your top spins, which forces you to move and distracts you from performing the correct technique.
I'd say you need to slow down the drill first - top spinner needs to be able to place the ball (at least) in the correct half of the court. Feeder/blocker needs to be able to place the ball in the correct quarter of the court (and not counter hit, to start he needs to do nothing but block. This way the top spinner has 100% control of the pace and intensity).

All in all, there is too much being done in this drill and too many room for small errors. Keep it simple, keep it slow, slow down the stroke, slow down the pace and get the correct placement.
You know you're doing it right when the top spinner gets 7 or 8 good top spins in before the drill starts breaking apart. I counted a few rallies you guys had and it averages to be 2-3 top spins before it falls apart. Not going to get good practice that way, especially when a lot of the rallies require the top spinner or blocker to constantly move.

dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 12:22pm

What I can suggest is don't put side spin into the drill. Just basic top spin or no spin when doing the FH loop. And your partner definitely need to use more body movement, don't simply using the arm. Because if you turn the body while doing the FH drill, you can see that it is much easier to bring the ball to the opponent's FH.

And also, from this practice, you can also learn how to control your racket's angle, close the racket alittle when the ball it too high, open it when the ball is low, brush it to lift up alittle when it is very low. 

What you want to do for this drill is just forget about kill shot move, if the ball move a little out of range, just open up your arm to bring it back. 

This video should be a good example, it may contradict to what I said in the first paragraph, since those are the way I learned and the way that I discovered work best for me. But i think you probably can find this video more useful than me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8aGz4PuZJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDi6UqCxg50

Edited by dici - 06/29/2011 at 12:32pm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 10:29pm
Is this just a drill for forehand loop or aiming for the middle of the table? If just for forehand loop, you should aim at the natural crosscourt to get more balls on the table for both of you. 
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 12:23am
Spread your feet apart. You are standing straight up and not using any core movement. It will increase consistency and power.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 1:01am
Just watched it again...

You definitely need to keep your eye at the opposite corner of the table and target that spot.  Even if your partner doesn't put the ball in the same spot every time, you should be aiming for that corner.  Each of your shots progressively pushes your partner towards your FH and it's messing up the rallies.

It looks like you're better at keeping the ball on the table, but he puts the ball in your corner more consistently where you put the ball on the mid-line or push him back.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2011 at 5:02am
Close your wrist when in terminal back position and level it down so that the paddle axis makes a continuation of your forearm. This will better help you target the opposite corner.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic